• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone becomes the best-selling game for April in the UK, in only five days time

DanielsM

Banned
Yep, this.

I keep forgetting this game even exists.

What's your theory on why it appears (at least according to many country stats and Amazon) that its doing better than Resident Evil 2 and Sekiro, at least in part? And those titles are doing very well. Its appears to be outselling not only other new IPs but old established zombie IPs.

I forget Assassin's Creed exists that doesn't stop it from selling a butt load i.e. people want to play it. It doesn't have to appeal to me for me to understand it does appeal to others.

If the game is bad, how many copies would it sell if it were even average? 20m units? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Maybe the game is selling because it appeals to people that want this type of game, and maybe its actually good or a great game? Maybe. For the record, I don't necessarily believe sales = good.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
We are both going to get the same, they aren’t there.

Not sure I’d be congratulating those, with no reference, other then it was number 1. Especially with what 1 meant in the UK in previous months and how doomed and gloomed everything was. (For 1 country only reporting physical)

Well deserved, well deserved indeed. You sold somewhere between 1 and 1 billion. Congrats.

I've been seeing your post on this forum for awhile and it's clear that you're generally negative towards Sony.

Funny how you posted in a Crackdown 3 sales thread.

UK] Crackdown 3 Sales are WAY Down - Only 10% of Crackdown 2 Sales (exc. PC, gamepass, digital)

When you try to report sales figures, and omit half the data because you have no access to it, stupid shit like this comes around,.

The game buying public is not the same ones buying then, and using only physical is a piss poor way to prove it.

That’s why every single UK sales “report” come out looking like nobody is selling any games ever.

It’s time to stop using them as reference until they get the digital thing sorted out,

-MD-

What's your theory on why it appears (at least according to many country stats and Amazon) that its doing better than Resident Evil 2 and Sekiro, at least in part? And those titles are doing very well. Its appears to be outselling not only other new IPs but old established zombie IPs.

I forget Assassin's Creed exists that doesn't stop it from selling a butt load i.e. people want to play it. It doesn't have to appeal to me for me to understand it does appeal to others.

If the game is bad, how many copies would it sell if it were even average? 20m units? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Maybe the game is selling because it appeals to people that want this type of game, and maybe its actually good or a great game? Maybe. For the record, I don't necessarily believe sales = good.

I don't think the quality of Days Gone ever really mattered, the fact that it's an open world zombie game means it's gonna sell, people love zombies.

RE2 is a bit different in that it's an actual horror game and is designed to be relatively difficult compared to your typical video game these days. Horror + difficult = niche. Sekiro is hard as hell so it's automatically niche because of it.

Sony exclusive + open world + zombie = free money

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
I don't think the quality of Days Gone ever really mattered, the fact that it's an open world zombie game means it's gonna sell, people love zombies.

RE2 is a bit different in that it's an actual horror game and is designed to be relatively difficult compared to your typical video game these days. Horror + difficult = niche. Sekiro is hard as hell so it's automatically niche because of it.

Sony exclusive + open world + zombie = free money

Now you are offering a whole new line of why its selling, when you started with agreeing with the guy or appear to be that there "isn't anything else to play".

Maybe its selling because its awesome. Your new reasons are the reasons why people said on this forum it wouldn't sell - another open world game and another zombie game.

Last edited:

-MD-

Now you are offering a whole new line of why its selling, when you started with agreeing with the guy or appear to be that there "isn't anything else to play".

Maybe its selling because its awesome. Your new reasons are the reasons why people said on this forum it wouldn't sell - another open world game and another zombie game.

I don't care what other people on this forum said. Maybe it's selling because it was marketed well and has zombies in it. I'm not interested in arguing with you over a game I have zero interest in, you asked me a question and I answered it.

And for the record yeah, there is nothing else to play right now. The release calendar over the next handful of months is pathetic.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
I don't care what other people on this forum said. Maybe it's selling because it was marketed well and has zombies in it.

I'm not interested in arguing with you over a game I have zero interest in, you asked me a question and I answered it.

No, you kind of contradicted your first statement, I was simply pointing it out. Its very apparent you do care, as I can see your post history. I'm not arguing with you, just pointing out your inconsistencies, imo.

Last edited:

demigod

I don't care what other people on this forum said. Maybe it's selling because it was marketed well and has zombies in it. I'm not interested in arguing with you over a game I have zero interest in, you asked me a question and I answered it.

And for the record yeah, there is nothing else to play right now. The release calendar over the next handful of months is pathetic.

There isn't? RE2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Sekiro, The Division 2, Mortal Kombat. If you're going to play that "there is nothing else to play right now", how'd Crackdown 3 do?

-MD-

No, you kind of contradicted your first statement, I was simply pointing it out. Its very apparent you do care, as I can see your post history. I'm not arguing with you, just pointing out your inconsistencies, imo.

My post history?

You must be one of those guys that hang out on forums and youtube and just get into random arguments with people out of pure boredom lol. Why not go after the guy that actually made the original comment instead of the guy that agreed with him in passing?

There isn't? RE2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Sekiro, The Division 2, Mortal Kombat. If you're going to play that "there is nothing else to play right now", how'd Crackdown 3 do?

Literally every game you listed already released, did you even read my post? And why are we talking about Crackdown 3 now?

The fuck is wrong with you people?

Last edited:

manfestival

My post history?

You must be one of those guys that hang out on forums and youtube and just get into random arguments with people out of pure boredom lol. Why not go after the guy that actually made the original comment instead of the guy that agreed with him in passing?

Literally every game you listed already released, did you even read my post? And why are we talking about Crackdown 3 now?

You are super defensive right now. Even using the tactic of labeling someone just to dismiss what they have to say instead of addressing it.... yeeeeeeesh

demigod

My post history?

You said there's nothing to play, if there is nothing to play why did Crackdown 3 sell badly? By your logic it should have sold well. The Division 2 released one month before Day's Gone, MK released one week prior, World War Z released same month. So if a new game releases and does good, are you going to come up with the excuse "there's nothing to play" from now on? lol

Edit : I knew I forgot something, Devil May Cry V.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned

You basically made up your whole reasoning after I pointed out your inconsistencies, please reread your posts. I'm not sure what the problem is to be honest.

Its okay for you not to like the game (different strokes for different folks), btw, I have no issue with that. New IPs don't just normally fall into this kind of sales by blind luck.

Last edited:

Fake

"It hurt itself in its confusion"
C'mon guys lets back to the thread subject. Maybe next week Mat will reveal the Days Gone US sales. WW we can expect from Sony or Bend official twitter.

I've a general question.

When Deacon is hunting the deer in the woods when it's night, what do you do to get rid of the nearby horde? This is when Boozer radios you, and says they are low on food, so you have to hunt animals. This horde has killed me a lot, and I don't know what to do. The game doesn't suggest anything. In other parts, I'd know just to avoid them entirely.

DanielsM

Banned
I've a general question.

When Deacon is hunting the deer in the woods when it's night, what do you do to get rid of the nearby horde? This is when Boozer radios you, and says they are low on food, so you have to hunt animals. This horde has killed me a lot, and I don't know what to do. The game doesn't suggest anything. In other parts, I'd know just to avoid them entirely.

I got the Horde to go after the deer, they actually got 4 of my 5 deer for me, than I just stealth skinned them.... I was scared shitless the whole time. :messenger_face_screaming: You can also use crossbow or silencer so as not to attract the Horde so much and use stealth by hiding in the grass. There is an OT thread on Days Gone as a friendly reminder.

Jayjayhd34

I've a general question.

No you do not need kill hordes till much further in the game.

Justin9mm

I've a general question.

I died a lot there too wondering how to do this then I rode down that hill a little and then left over a couple cliff faces although way down towards where the deers were and past and I was off the hordes radar and then went back a bit on foot and got the deer skins or whatever and then collected my bike rode back up and out of there. Not sure how this worked but it did as I tried to do the same thing riding down on the road and that did not work.

Hope that makes sense, I'm bad at explaining things!

Evilms

Banned
Japan :

vzPKRSE.jpg

First week / LTD Famitsu numbers:

- Detroit Become Human ~ 30k / 116k
- God Of War ~ 50k / 125k
- Horizon Zero Dawn ~ 109k / 281k
- Days Gone ~ 114k / 114k
- Uncharted 4 A Thief's End ~ 124k / 207k
- Marvel's Spider-Man ~ 132k / 415k

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
why is shocking ,people have different tastes in games and not all of them are that pretentious like IGN or Gamespot

Well, I'm not shocked by the sales (I've been saying 4 -7m its first year), but I am shocked by the popularity of it outside the U.S. (I assumed wrong) I don't usually visit Twitch, but checked it out over the last week and the few times I did, it was a good portion Japanese gamers playing DG. Its going to make a run at Horizon numbers it would appear, and rightfully so in my opinion, its actually a much better game I think. (I think Horizon was a decent first showing btw, not hating on Horizon)

Normally I don't care too much about sales as long as the games I like have a strong showing, but I'm actually cheering Bend on as to this one, at the least a very good game.

Last edited:

Eliciel

I think the difference between expectations created by mediocre reviews and sales are remarkable for the time being.
Seems to be a big mismatch and people actually seem to like the game.
Haven't played it so far.

Last edited:
I appreciate open world horror games. The first example of that, I'd say was Silent Hill: Downpour in 2012 which had optional side quests that you could do to gain awards, but you were not forced to do any of them. The Last of Us is sort of like an open world game too, but not to the extent of Days Gone. I'm sure Days Gone is actually copying many things from The Last of Us.

The first section where you chase that guy on the bike, reminded me of when Joel and Tess had to kill that guy in the first level.

DanielsM

Banned
I appreciate open world horror games. The first example of that, I'd say was Silent Hill: Downpour in 2012 which had optional side quests that you could do to gain awards, but you were not forced to do any of them. The Last of Us is sort of like an open world game too, but not to the extent of Days Gone. I'm sure Days Gone is actually copying many things from The Last of Us.

The first section where you chase that guy on the bike, reminded me of when Joel and Tess had to kill that guy in the first level.

If you asked me which game reminds me of Days Gone the most - The Last of Us, Uncharted, Mad Max, Half-Life 2, Resident Evil, Red Dead Redemption 1, Gears of War, Rage or Horizon. I would probably say,"YES". :messenger_tears_of_joy: Its a much bigger (not saying better that is a subjective thing) game than The Last of Us in just about every way you can imagine. Its a freaking crazy game on many levels, just one of those things you either dig or don't I guess. There is some mechanics similar to Uncharted/The Last of Us as Bend was actually a Uncharted developer on the Vita.

Hopefully, the sales continue to do well, at the very least these guys put a ton of heart into the game whether everyone loves it or not. I'm sure there are plenty of suits over at Ubisoft/Take Two scratching their head as to how a 50-100 person handheld game studio pulled this off.

DanielsM

Banned
A little additional info on Japan, not completely sure how they are coming to the conclusion, "even then sales of Days Gone were above expectations".

Gamerguy84

Im so on the fence about this game. Ive been waiting to read some user comments like in here. Im probably going to get it.

I have 70 something dollars in my PSN account. Had a 100 but bought Creed II a couple nights ago.

DanielsM

Banned
Im so on the fence about this game. Ive been waiting to read some user comments like in here. Im probably going to get it.

I have 70 something dollars in my PSN account. Had a 100 but bought Creed II a couple nights ago.

Nothing wrong with waiting either i.e. cheaper, there are plenty of bugs and glitches. The performance can be an issue in certain parts of the game, I've have framerate issues with the bike at certain times. (its not all good news on this front)

Airbus Jr

Banned
In Japan Days Gone have bigger launch than God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn ( Still lost to Uncharted 4 and Spiderman but still wtf man)

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Wait for sale. I'd put this as a $40 game. There's too many performance issues for the regular PS4 and there could be some balancing tweaks that should be looked at.

Top Bottom