• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone becomes the best-selling game for April in the UK, in only five days time

Shakka43

Dying Light(awesome zombie game) would be a better comparison, it did only 26,000 in its first week(Japan). Days Gone does count with a bigger install base but that doesn't always translate to better sales.

Evilms

Banned
Days Gone is an AAA game, but can we consider Dying Light and State Of Decay 2 as real AAA games?

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Days Gone is an AAA game, but can we consider Dying Light and State Of Decay 2 as real AAA games?

Of course Dying Light was AAA the production was great in tht game and I'm sure the budget was way more than State of Decay.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I must be the only one that didn’t like Dying Light even though I got it for $20 from Gamestops error.

I enjoyed the first city but it got very repetitive, didn’t like how they handled night time either. Had to keep sleeping through it each time. I stopped playing after reaching the second city as I was well and truly done by that point.

Deek is starting to feel like a hired gun. :messenger_open_mouth:

I really get the run around in this game. No sooner have I killed 10 assholes, someone wants me to eliminate 10 more somewhere else.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Deek is starting to feel like a hired gun. :messenger_open_mouth:

I really get the run around in this game. No sooner have I killed 10 assholes, someone wants me to eliminate 10 more somewhere else.

The voice acting of Deacon is the aces to me, imo. Killing is his business, and his business is good. :messenger_grinning:

Wow, I didn't know we were talking lifetime sales, that's crazy sauce. Maybe Sony will release a two week global number this week. Amazon US the sales are slipping heading into week 3, now around high20s-low 40s on the sales list as far as video game products, MK11 (PS4 version only) is now doing better on a daily basis but Days Gone probably has quite a bit more sales at this point. I would have thought God of War and The Last Guardian would have sold better there.

Days Gone > MK11 (PS4)
MK11 (all versions) > Days Gone (at least my guess)

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Thread title is Nonsense.

This games ending is fucking bad. What an utter disapointment.

The last half of the game is pure CUCK FETCH bullshit.

I haven't finished quite yet, probably tomorrow but if I were to stop today, kind of feel like this and Bloodborne are my game of the cycle...by quite a large margin, opinions I guess.

I don't see anything wrong with the thread title btw, what do you mean by the title being nonsense?

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Thread title is Nonsense.

This games ending is fucking bad. What an utter disapointment.

The last half of the game is pure CUCK FETCH bullshit.

Thread title and topic have nothing to do with what you are talking about, and it is not misleading based on the topic.

Either discuss the topic, which is about sales, or move along.

DanielsM

Banned
#1 in the UK in its third week as well, slow week though. Apparently, Days Gone has further outsold all of MK11, meaning all SKUs combined in the UK. In the US, based on Amazon, I would say Days Gone is slipping some in its 3rd week, way ahead of MK11 (PS4) in total sales but losing now on a weekly basis. Furthermore, the theory that zombie games just sell, well, World War Z sold a fairly good amount its first week but on most charts I have seen they aren't in it and its $39.88 on Amazon. World War Z (PS4) is #405 and World War Z (Xbone) #308 physical editions which actually makes sense as the PS4 owners are buying Days Gone.

UK Sales Charts: Week Ending 11th May, 2019
  1. Days Gone
  2. Mortal Kombat 11
  3. FIFA 19
  4. Red Dead Redemption 2
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  7. The Division 2
  8. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
  9. Forza Horizon 4
  10. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Furthermore, the theory that zombie games just sell, well, World War Z sold a fairly good amount its first week but on most charts I have seen they aren't in it and its $39.88 on Amazon. World War Z (PS4) is #405 and World War Z (Xbone) #308 physical editions which actually makes sense as the PS4 owners are buying Days Gone.
This is what I meant in my prior post....If Zombie just sold like crazy.........Evil Within 1+2, Alien Isolation, SOD2, Dead Rising 3+4 and Outlast 1+2 would have made a killing and slayed the charts......But we all know that's not what it is, it takes more than just being a Zombie game equalling an automatic sales juggernaut..........

The continued commercial success of this game is remarkable. The prestige of being a Sony exclusive overrides good to middling reviews. Or maybe it's peoplejust love zombie survival.

DanielsM

Banned
The continued commercial success of this game is remarkable. The prestige of being a Sony exclusive overrides good to middling reviews. Or maybe it's peoplejust love zombie survival.

Or maybe its just a good game. (maybe) Some Sony games don't really sell great or even good - The Order, Knack, Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Infamous, etc., solid but not good. Zombie games sell well, if they are made well, but the failure rate of zombie games really isn't any much different than any other genre that I can see. The cream rises to the top, generally speaking.

Lots of developers are going to try (and most will probably fail) and copy parts of this game and its not just the zombies portion, imo. I would be very surprised if any developer thought this game was easy to pull off. It does look like its running out of steam or starting to on Amazon US though.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
Always first in france for second week.

france-chart-weekly-18-19-1.jpg

Evilms

Banned
Same in italy for 2nd week :
  1. Days Gone (PS4)
  2. FIFA 19 (PS4)
  3. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4)
  4. Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4)
  5. Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition (PS4)
  6. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (NS)
  7. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (NS)
  8. Spider-Man (PS4)
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (PS4)
  10. Super Mario Party (NS)
  11. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (NS)
  12. Just Dance 2019 (NS)
  13. Yoshi's Crafted World (NS)
  14. FIFA 19 (NS)
  15. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4)
  16. Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
  17. Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy (PS4)
  18. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (NS)
  19. Rocket League (PS4)
  20. Assassin's Creed Odyssey (PS4)

https://www.ilvideogioco.com/2019/05/13/classifiche-italiane-nel-segno-di-days-gone/

demigod

I’m shocked that it’s beating MK in countries outside of US.

MK X has sold around 11mil, this launch seems far from it. Do people wait for $15 sales or something?

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
MK11 suffers from its cancerous practices (abused microtransactions, lootbox, forced connection even to unlock content solo, SJW...)

Kagero

I'm genuinely surprised. I'm happy the game is doing well, but I'm also concerned about the precedence this is going to set. I'm also going to be a little miffed if this game does better than GOW or Horizon. I believe better games should sell better. Days Gone is a good game, but it's clear Sony Bend is a little clueless about certain aspects of game design.

DanielsM

Banned
I'm genuinely surprised. I'm happy the game is doing well, but I'm also concerned about the precedence this is going to set. I'm also going to be a little miffed if this game does better than GOW or Horizon. I believe better games should sell better. Days Gone is a good game, but it's clear Sony Bend is a little clueless about certain aspects of game design.

Not clueless, crazy mad scientists throwing a big potion of every ingredient into the pot and sitting back and observing the test subjects, sure. This has to be biggest collection of game mechanics I have played by a mile i.e. throwing mud on the wall....most the mud sticks, Imo.

Fake

To be fair I dunno if Sony gave the same money for Bend as they give in the production of HZD or GoW.

And lets be honest, you can't 100% hit a new IP. They can learn new tricks and what they went wrong in th sequel as same as Horizon Zero Dawn. HZD is one if my favorite games, but that combat human AI is terrible, but again the game focus are the machine.

DanielsM

Banned
To be fair I dunno if Sony gave the same money for Bend as they give in the production of HZD or GoW.

And lets be honest, you can't 100% hit a new IP. They can learn new tricks and what they went wrong in th sequel as same as Horizon Zero Dawn. HZD is one if my favorite games, but that combat human AI is terrible, but again the game focus are the machine.

The bulk of Days Gone was done with about 45 - 75 people, that number started to increase during the tail to about 100. Bend has continue to increase this year to 130. Horizon was 250+ employees at GG plus lots of outsourcing to a Chinese company, that number was given as 300 additional contractors but who knows for how long. Something like Red Dead Redemption is way over a thousand people, the credits are over 3000. Days Gone did have a extra 6 months of full production over Horizon but probably only about a 1/4th of the workers.

This game would have never been possible at a big studio...they wouldn't be crazy enough. I have no freaking idea how Bend did all this... good or bad, it's massive on all fronts.

So I'm close to the ending

Boozer drove the truck to a place where I had cleared a horde outside.

And now no new missions are coming. Only the hordes missions are open on the map. Do I have to clear them to progress?

DanielsM

Banned
Days Gone continues to slip a little in 3rd week on Amazon US on PS4 only charts. But what is surprising is how bad Rage 2 is doing, today is launch day but its only #8 its best sellers list. A Plague's Tale is doing better at #6 with Days Gone at #7, A Plague's Tale is a smaller title selling at around $40. If Rage 2 doesn't pickup in a few hours as this is launch day I expect it to be on sale fairly fast.

1.) Kingdom Hearts III (PS4)
2.) MK11 (PS4)
3.) Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
4.) Spider-man (PS4)
5.) NBA 2k19 (PS4)
6.) A Plague's Tale (PS4)
7.) Days Gone (PS4)
8.) Rage 2 (PS4) *
9.) God of War (PS4)
10.) Grand Thief Auto V (PS4)

* Deluxe edition at #12.

Days Gone has done well in the US but definitely slipping in week 3.

If Days Gone was a exclusive Xbox, it would be the #1 selling Xbox title even on launch day for 2019 on Amazon US.

Last edited:

Shakka43

So I'm close to the ending

Boozer drove the truck to a place where I had cleared a horde outside.

And now no new missions are coming. Only the hordes missions are open on the map. Do I have to clear them to progress?
Nah, you will get a call eventually. Perhaps go and sleep to advance the day, maybe that helps getting the call Sooner.

FranXico

If Days Gone had bombed, it could have been the end of Sony Bend. I'm just glad that they are going to stick around.

#bringsyphonfilterback

Last edited:

Humdinger

Gold Member
If Days Gone had bombed, it could have been the end of Sony Bend. I'm just glad that they are going to stick around.

#bringsyphonfilterback

I agree. I was worried for them when the reviews came out, but I'm reassured by the sales data. I'm sure they are, too.

Also, I assume you've seen the article indicating that Days Gone is a sort of distant sequel to Syphon Filter.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
What a good or enjoyable game is, is all subjective. Many people did not enjoy RDR2, the reviewers never told them about the awful controls and input lag...... I say let people decide what they want to purchase and enjoy with their money, it's their money and their entertainment..... There is no precedent that should direct them but their choice.

DanielsM

Banned
Mortal Kombat 11 outsold Days Gone in this last week, which is kind of what Amazon US is tracking, although I believe its across SKUs for MK11. Days Gone appears to be still selling better than MK11 in New Zealand.
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Days Gone
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  4. Fallout 76
  5. Super Smash Bros. Utlimate
  6. The Division 2
  7. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
  8. Grand Theft Auto V
  9. Hasbro Game Night
  10. Yoshi's Crafted World

Looking at the Amazon US stats, I would say a steady decline for both Days Gone and MK11 heading into week 4. Days Gone is #2 for PS4 new releases behind Kingdom Hearts III. I think Days Gone will sell an easy 4m units its first full year, if not significantly higher. Hopefully, we get an update from Sony on Days Gone within the next 2 weeks. Unless there is something I don't know about coming down the pike, Days Gone should easily be the best new IP this year and probably by a mile.

On a quick side note, Rage 2 appears to be bombing, probably significantly under Rage 1 numbers, if I were to wager... the game has already moved out of the top ten games on Amazon US during its release week. I really liked Rage 1, so :messenger_crying:

Last edited:
Top Bottom