• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
The instant push back to any suggestions for improvement by the Rock doesn't make much sense. I can't imagine there being more than a handful of people who sincerely believe the DCEU is perfect just the way it is. "Fun" aint the end all be all of compelling filmmaking but there's always room for more variety.

Cheebo

Banned
Get over it. People shit on DC all over this forum. Go whine about it over there too.

This is the DCEU OT. Here we shit on the MCU.

You have no room to talk after proclaiming Batman v. Superman would make the world turn on the MCU lol. Shitting on the MCU just to be pro-team DCEU like that is petty and childish. Reeks of Sega vs Nintendo early 90s nonsense and no one looks back on that fondly.

BadAss2961

The instant push back to any suggestions for improvement by the Rock doesn't make much sense. I can't imagine there being more than a handful of people who sincerely believe the DCEU is perfect just the way it is. "Fun" aint the end all be all of compelling filmmaking but there's always room for more variety.
It's not really push back, just concern to keep an eye on. Those buzzwords have been all over DC, and we won't know what it means for the movies until we see the results.

If they overdo the tone shift, people will see through it and call them out on it. Then no one will be happy.

Ninjimbo

It's the fear of it becoming like the MCU which I've come to despise tbh. I watched Civil War and couldn't wait for it to be over. The formula has become so stale that I wonder why I even bother watching the movies if it's already a forgone conclusion that i'm not going to enjoy them. I wish I could say I was above all the bias but I haven't fully enjoyed an MCU movie since Iron Man 1.

I think Guardians is the best of the bunch, but even while watching that film I felt like I could have been watching something far better. The Hollywood blockbuster shouldn't be something so stale IMO which what the MCU movies excel at. This isn't a problem exclusive to Marvel either. They're just the most high profile example since they release like two of these movies every year.

You have no room to talk after proclaiming Batman v. Superman would make the world turn on the MCU lol. Shitting on the MCU just to be pro-team DCEU like that is petty and childish. Reeks of Sega vs Nintendo early 90s nonsense and no one looks back on that fondly.

Pfft, you say "looks back" as if it's not still happening. That shit's expanded - Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony, DC/Marvel (comics and movies), Apple/Android. Company wars don't seem like they're ever going away.

EDIT: And agreed, no company wars stuff in here. I was too angry/harsh in my last post. I'm sorry I got vulgar and rude, SJRB.

Ross61

Green Lantern Corps is a GO!
http://deadline.com/2017/01/green-lantern-corps-warner-bros-david-goyer-justin-rhodes-dc-1201884133/

David Goyer writing and producing. Geoff Johns exec producing.

Origin story. "Lethal Weapon in space." Hal Jordan and John Stewart buddy movie.

Forgot to mention he has a co-writer in Justin Rhodes.

I know the popular opinion of Goyer, but I'm not mad at the choice. He did write TDK trilogy so I can understand why Warner would want to default to him.

firelogic

I know Goyer wrote Man of Steel but how much of his script stayed in BvS after Terrio came on to write? I liked both movies so this isn't bad news.

Ninjimbo

Goyer is fine. I just have to hope that everything else comes together.

I heard his show on Starz was pretty good. Davinci's Demons? So I'm optimistic.

Ross61

Anybody else kinda find it weird how the synopsis for the movie is described exactly how it widely speculated or hoping it would be. Right down to the "Lethal Weapon in space".

a916

I know Goyer wrote Man of Steel but how much of his script stayed in BvS after Terrio came on to write? I liked both movies so this isn't bad news.

I liked the Blade trilogy too... he's a really good idea man (other than the few outlandish stuff he's said) but excited to have him on board. Give that to a talented director who can pull it off and we're off to a good start.

Anybody else kinda find it weird how the synopsis for the movie is described exactly how it widely speculated or hoping it would be. Right down to the "Lethal Weapon in space".

I think that's been the rumor all along.

Odoul

Goyer da Gawd

Blad Trinity is still in my dvd player

I like most of what he put out but let's not say things we can't take back.

Trinity was cheeks.

I do wonder how he squares with all this optimism/fun/hope bullshit they've been pandering for the last 9 months.

I hope the look of the movie is close to GoTG. For all the shit I give the ending/villain it embraced comic book nonsense wholesale.

uSPYUrV.png

Maybe we can send him a card...

get yourself together ben

or dont

go full crazy, and the resulted batman film may turn out to be quite a masturpiece unlike others

BadAss2961

Ha, sure. I'm sure you were looking for the slightest reason to bring that up.

And wow, Goyer. People are gonna flip.

LionPride

Banned
because it's not true?

that doesn't happen in this thread.
Both are those things are true sometimes in the time I've lurked the thread and since I've startrd posting. I ain't a Marvel or DC fan specifically, I just wanna see good movies of characters I like. Except for Batman, he's not a good character at all. Or Cyborg. And Barry Allen is actually the dumbest speedster.

BadAss2961

He wrote MoS and people hated it. So he's a horrible writer. You know, people overreacting as usual.
He's got some stinkers, but so does everyone else. After Blade, Batman Begins, MoS, and laying out BvS, he's alright with me.

I even like the Crow sequel. Sucks compared to the original, but its bizarre and rewatchable. Iggy Pop is pretty awesome in it.

mooncakes

A new Ben Affleck interview by USA Today

"Superhero movies get the level of attention that is nothing like any film I've done. You cast the 14th lead in these movies and the Internet goes crazy," Affleck says. "I understand and embrace that. That’s part of the pressure that comes with doing it. That’s why I am not going to do it, unless I really feel confident about it.

"But when that day comes, should that day come, I’m sure that’s going to be the most pressure, the most stress I have ever experienced in my professional life," he says. "There’s no doubt."

I think writing GL is a better fit for Goyer than Superman. I'm honestly not thrilled with the choice but eh, it's still early. We'll see.

I'll give Goyer credit where credit is due. His take on Krypton was cool. A lot had to do with Snyder doing a send up to Heavy Metal, but past the visuals, the culture and history he laid out was interesting.

If it takes time, it takes time. Whenever he's mentally and emotionally prepared to handle such a huge undertaking.

Ashhong

He still needs a script he's satisfied with.

But he is signed onto direct, just when it's ready. The way he interviews sometimes sounds like he isn't. Unless he only gave WB a verbal agreement or something.

So if you had to pick, who would you guys choose as John Stewart? Besides the obvious Idris Elba

Elba is such a perfect fit it's hard to even think about other options. And I feel like Black Panther at this point has grabbed all of the black actors in Hollywood lol

I don't understand, why does he say "should that day come" when he has explicitly said he is directing?

He needs to stop talking about it. Each time he does, he gives different answers that border on him having second thoughts to him definitely directing it.

Someone needs to craft him a standard answer and he just needs to parrot it until they officially announce something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom