• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Rumor is WB is looking at Joshua Sasse and wrestling superstar John Cena for the role of Shazam.

Source

Black Adam v Shazam: Dawn of Carny

UK1AABY.gif

ReiGun

These Cena rumors feel like the usual DC casting rumors. That is, fancasting people repeat a lot while WB brass quietly courts someone completely different for the role.

Ditto on Rock leaving Black Adam. To think the first Shazam movie has to happen without Black Adam because this cat wants to sit on the role for God knows how many years while he does a bunch of other things.

Ashhong

These Cena rumors feel like the usual DC casting rumors. That is, fancasting people repeat a lot while WB brass quietly courts someone completely different for the role.

Ditto on Rock leaving Black Adam. To think the first Shazam movie has to happen without Black Adam because this cat wants to sit on the role for God knows how many years while he does a bunch of other things.

I dont remember any rumors blaming the Rock for any of the production delays

Maddocks

Shazam always had a 2019 date, they got the rock long ago just to lock him down. He makes movies 24/7 because he loves it, he has been waiting for black adam to start and it was new line and WB decision to hold off on putting black adam in the movie. Nothing to do with his schedule.

Sambrez_

I used to buy every one of them, but since Justice League Dark... I forgot.
I think I'm really tired that Batman is in every animation movie now.

bryanee

What would your list be or say Top 5?

I dont have time to list all 30 right now but I'll do my top 5.

5. Wonder Woman
4. Superman Vs The Elite
3. Batman: Under the Red Hood
2. Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
1. The Dark Knight Returns (they released it all stand-alone so it counts :p)

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
God, I own every single one of those movies... Just watched Batman and Harley yesterday. Kinda weird in a fun sort of way. Liked seeing the old TAS style and all the old henchmen in the bar from previous episodes.

bryanee

God, I own every single one of those movies... Just watched Batman and Harley yesterday. Kinda weird in a fun sort of way. Liked seeing the old TAS style and all the old henchmen in the bar from previous episodes.

Same, have them all on blu-ray. Batman and Harley was fun, just like an extended TAS/JL episode with a big focus on comedy rather than drama or action.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Same, have them all on blu-ray. Batman and Harley was fun, just like an extended TAS/JL episode with a big focus on comedy rather than drama or action.
Same here, all on Blu-Ray. Dunno why I keep buying them when they all show up on Netflix in what seems like no time, but maybe it's a year later, I dunno.

Happy to see Crisis on Two Earths get some love. Always seemed like people ignored it for others.

I appreciated how they handled Batman on the team. Dude was hopelessly outclassed and constantly got his ass kicked, but managed to prevail through sheer grit. Hit a nice balance between Bat-god and what you'd imagine a dude without powers on a metahuman team would be.

LionPride

Banned
Shazam always had a 2019 date, they got the rock long ago just to lock him down. He makes movies 24/7 because he loves it, he has been waiting for black adam to start and it was new line and WB decision to hold off on putting black adam in the movie. Nothing to do with his schedule.

That doesn't sound right, not that I don't believe you, but that just don't sound right

Penguin

I dont have time to list all 30 right now but I'll do my top 5.

5. Wonder Woman
4. Superman Vs The Elite
2. Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
1. The Dark Knight Returns (they released it all stand-alone so it counts :p)

I'm fine with your Top 5... sans The Dark Knight Returns

Penguin

Its the tastiest top 5 you have ever seen. TDKR ftw.

Remind me to never eat at your house if that's your taste!

Also Mark Hughes on Forbes wrote an article that pretty much expresses my thoughts on the DC/WB rumors over the last well year and how poorly the internet is trained to react

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhu...net-ruins-movie-news-and-fandom/#3e74a6567578

Or maybe it's just us. No, actually there's no maybe about it -- it's definitely just us. Because the truth is, we should be able to hear information about early stages of people tossing around ideas and trying to figure out how to build something, without freaking out and acting as if each new "maybe" and "what if" stage of development is about to come true tomorrow and destroy everything we love forever. The existence of the information isn't really the problem, it's how we react to it that is ruining the state of fandom and film journalism.

Maddocks

That doesn't sound right, not that I don't believe you, but that just don't sound right

He signed on to be black Adam in 2014, new line and WB wanted shazam movie to be released April 2019. So he filled his schedule up to make movies till they needed him. Here we are 2017 with a director picked in July and script turned in in August and we have yet to even cast shazam or Billy. And the problem is that rock is to busy to be in the movie? He can be, they are the studio, if he's not available they move on to someone else, it happens all the time.

Neophant

What would your list be or say Top 5?

You saw my full list on the Discord chat but here's my Top 5

5. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Parts 1 and 2
4. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
2. Wonder Woman
1. Justice League: The New Frontier

Dark Knight Returns gets a lot of love from me for the voice talent and how it actually looks better than the original comic, but suffers from not having the narrative monologues be part of the animated adaptation. Will need to watch Killing Joke and Batman & Harley Quinn one day, but I'd also put Return of the Caped Crusaders as an honorary mention.

Since it's been a slow weekend, and I love shameless shilling

I did a ranking of all 30 DC Original Animated Movies in honor of the 10th anniversary of the line

http://nerdsontherocks.com/top-30-dc-universe-animated-original-movies-countdown/

Your list is bad and you should feel bad. No way is any movie other than Superman Doomsday the worst. No fucking way. Also, TDKR is miles better than the tepid adaptation that was Year One. I will give you Gotham Knights being horrible, if anything was going to put up a fight for the bottom spot, it would be that one.

Anyhow top 10 (order is flexlible):

1. Justice League: New Frontier
2. All Star Superman
3. Crisis on Two Earths
4. Wonder Woman
5. Gods and Monsters
6. Apocalypse
7. The Dark Knight Returns (complete)
8. DOOM
9. Under the Red Hood
10. First Flight

Ashhong

After watching the first season of Sense 8, I'd be down to see the Wachoskis direct a DC project.

God damn that was a 5/5 season

>likes vidya
>now working with Sony
>Looks like Joel from TLOU

hmmmmmmm

Been saying this for a while. They are potentially WB/DC ace in the hole imo. Huge talent in their stable but they haven't been brought up once in any rumors iirc. I wonder if their bridge is burned from too many flops?

Your list is bad and you should feel bad. No way is any movie other than Superman Doomsday the worst. No fucking way. Also, TDKR is miles better than the tepid adaptation that was Year One. I will give you Gotham Knights being horrible, if anything was going to put up a fight for the bottom spot, it would be that one.

Anyhow top 10 (order is flexlible):

1. Justice League: New Frontier
2. All Star Superman
3. Crisis on Two Earths
4. Wonder Woman
5. Gods and Monsters
6. Apocalypse
7. The Dark Knight Returns (complete)
8. DOOM
9. Under the Red Hood
10. First Flight

New Frontier is ineligible on account of being an outright bastardization of the wildly superior comic, IMO. This list is baaaaad.

bryanee

I didnt realise New Frontier was liked so much. I thought it was mediocre as fuuuck, like not in my top 20 never mind top 10.

The comic is on another level.

Penguin

Around and around we go

Though not sure if a rumor. Just seems like a random note to drop in article

Lord & Miller are being mentioned possibly to return to direct the DC pic The Flash (though Robert Zemeckis also has been mentioned for that film); maybe Trevorrow will step back in and direct the third Jurassic World sequel, after Juan Antonio Bayona helmed the second one? The Star Wars director fallout is creating a lot of intrigue around town.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/rian-jo...r-wars-episode-ix-colin-trevorrow-1202162109/

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Cool pick. Liked The Accountant more than I thought I would. Got that Affleck connection too so maybe he can get him to pop up again as Batman/Bruce in the sequel as well.

Gavin O’Connor is a good pick. In the brief period between Affleck and Reeves directing Batman, his name was on the shortlist for it. While he was the third best after Reeves and Fede Alvarez, he would've been solid, and here I like him over the other rumored SS2 directors.

J_Viper

Interesting choice for SS2, but I'm cool with it

Warrior is one of my all time favorite films, and there's a great half of a movie in The Accountant

Top Bottom