• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Dimensions |OT| Setting your age to 99 does nothing!

louie

Gvjfg.jpg

Dead or Alive Dimensions is an upcoming 3d fighter for the 3DS, featuring a cast of 25 playable characters.

DEAD OR ALIVE Dimensions retells the saga of the franchise in a never-before seen way, allowing players to discover the secrets behind the ongoing power struggle within the Mugen Tenshin ninja clan and the carefully guarded “Torn Sky Blast” fighting technique. Meanwhile, the evil DOATEC company, host of the DEAD OR ALIVE tournaments, tries to uncover the secrets for perfecting the creation of a “super fighter.” With classic characters like Kasumi, Lei Fang, Tina Armstrong, along with more recent characters such as Kokoro, Eliot and Hitomi amongst the fighters appearing, DEAD OR ALIVE Dimensions will appeal to fans old and new...

(description taken from Temco-Koei PR statement)

MVHOo.jpg

Chronicle - Enjoy a sample of the epic Dead or Alive sage.

Arcade - Choose your favorite fight and battle against the computer.

Survival - Take on a non-stop stream of opponents and see how long you can last.

Tag Challenge - Tag up with an AI-controlled partner and go to battle against powerful opponents.

Free Play - Choose a stage and battle the computer using your favorite fighter.

Training - Practice your moves in a training battle against the computer.

Local Play - Engage in competitive play over a local network.

Internet Play - Compete online with friends over the internet.

Throwdown - Take on other fighters you've come across using StreetPass.

3D Photo Album - View all 3D photos you've taken.

Showcase - View figurines, create epic diorama scenes, and take 3D photos of them.

Fight Record - View assorted fight records.

Options

(description of modes taken from the game itself)

7ZBrA.jpg

First trailer
Long trailer

Metroid Level
Gamespot 5 min gameplay
Long video showing frame data, chronicle mode and 3d photo mode.

Kasumi vs Ayane
Ein vs Hitomi
Kasumi vs Raidou

Japanese TV spot
European live action commercial

More videos and/or pictures can be found in the media section of the official site. Link.

Manmedaz said:
Already posted it somewhere else, but here are 11 minutes of video showing all the modes and options, commented in French.

ezxM7.jpg

5SJGR.jpg

■ DoA is a 3 button game - Punch (P), Kick (K) and Free (F).
■ Combine button presses for stronger attacks, e.g P+K
■ Pressing all three simultaneously allows you to tag in and out in tag team modes.
■ The free button is essential to higher level play - it controls blocking, defensive holds (counters) and 'free cancels'.
■ Pretty much every move can be delayed. This means that it is often not possible to go straight from one move string to the next, as the computer thinks you are merely delaying a string as opposed to ending it. To get around this you press the free button to cancel the string. This is a 'free cancel'.
■ Pressing up-back (7 on the dpad) + Free together will counter high attacks; back (4) + Free will counter mid attacks; and down-back (1) + Free will counter lows.

OR, if you prefer, you can play the game using the touchscreen:
amNdZ.jpg

■ Tap the button on the screen to have your character perform it. Simple!
■ Onscreen movelist will automatically change to suit your situation, for example, when on the ground the screen will show your ground options.
■ The hardest and most demanding unbreakable combo throws can be done with a simple flick of the wrist.
■ However you cannot free cancel in this mode; if you select a move you have to watch it play out in its entirety.

-

■ Instead of having the movelist on the second screen you can change it in the options to display live frame data instead. Video here.

dLEng.jpg

36/40 by Famitsu
9/10 by Nintendo Power
8.8/10 by Nowgamer

Ninja Dom said:

Sadist said:

Sadist said:

zSR6n.jpg

■ JAP 19/5/2011
■ EUR 20/5/2011
■ US 24/5/2011

Other:

■ 32 costumes will be offered as free DLC. You will have two chances to download them. Starts May 24th.
■ The 25 playable characters are Brad Wong, Leon, Kororo, Bayman, Kasumi, Ayane, Hayabusa, Hayate, Bass, Tina, Hitomi, Ein, Eliot, Gen Fu, Zack, Lisa, Helena, Christie, Lei Fang, Jann Lee AND
Kasumi Alpha, Alpha 152 (DoA4 boss), Raidou (DoA1 boss), Genra/Omega (DoA3 boss) and Tengu (Doa2 boss)
■ Just to reiterate once again, you can switch the movelist on the touchscreen off and have a live and accurate reading of frame data displayed instead: Link.
■ This game happens to be the first DoA on a Nintendo system, the first DoA fighting game on a handheld, the first DoA since Itagaki and the first DoA with Hayashi at the helm.
■ I don't really know how to make official threads or use photoshop :/

branny

louie said:
■ Just to reiterate once again, you can switch the movelist on the touchscreen off and have a live and accurate reading of frame data displayed instead: Link.
They're really packing a lot into this, aren't they? I seriously can't wait. This is the only other 3D fighting series I personally find fun beyond Tekken.

I'm getting this thing on release day in Japan. I've been hyped for months! I've always loved the series and I can't wait to have a reason to turn on my 3DS (Pilotwings isn't exactly the amount of amazing fun I thought it would be). Thursday can't come soon enough!

Since DOA2 all of the games in the series have had fantastic music. I can only imagine this to be the same.

Luigi87

Had this pre-ordered for a while, and admittedly never played a DoA game. Even if it doesn't live up to the standards of pre-DoA4 in fans, I am psyched.

Poyunch

Grrrr. I may just buy this. Stopped playing Pilotwings Resort for some reason and I don't really feel like going back on it. I need a new game to hold me till OoT. Man I'm not a fighting gamer. :[

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think DOA works better on the DS than SSF4 (IMO), due to the 4 button fighting system and only needing one stick for movement in the 3D environment, but mostly the 4 button system. I hope this is good for 3DS owners, but I doubt it'll sell as well as SSF4 3DS since "LOL TITS OR ASS DIMENSIONS!"

I'm not a fighting gamer. :[

You don't need to be. DOA is pretty mashing friendly (in before torches and pitchforks, but search your feelings you know this to be true. I say this as a DOA3/2U/4 fan).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
PounchEnvy said:
Grrrr. I may just buy this. Stopped playing Pilotwings Resort for some reason and I don't really feel like going back on it. I need a new game to hold me till OoT. Man I'm not a fighting gamer. :[
The thing about DOA is that you don't really need to be into fighting games to be able to pick it up and have fun with it.

matmanx1

Nice OP. I'm excited for the game as it will be the first time I've played DOA in a long while and it looks like they are packing in a solid amount of content. I hope the online multiplayer is good.

P90

PounchEnvy said:

DOA is noob friendly. if you want to be really good, well, it will take effort and practice. the series is the victim of irrational hate due to the girls being endowed and they accurately jiggle like Christina Hendricks would if she could fight and move like Jet Li.

I'm just hearing about free cancel and I've been around since the first version of DOA2 on DC
any more shots of all the new costumes? I won't have a 3DS in time to get the DLC

I always knew of the story, but I couldn't figure out how to piece shit together since there was no actual story mode. good thing they added one

Boney

Banned
Costumes as early adopters present is my ideal scenario of how DLC should work. I guess charging after for it is fine as well, but the objective should be to encourage people to buy the game at launch.

Skilletor

TheSeks said:
You don't need to be. DOA is pretty mashing friendly (in before torches and pitchforks, but search your feelings you know this to be true. I say this as a DOA3/2U/4 fan).

There are characters in SC and Tekken that are "mash friendly," but it doesn't mean jack shit when you run into somebody who knows what they're doing. :p

I'm in first day. Not expecting much of the game, to be honest, but I'm a DoA fan for life. I just hope online isn't capped at 30fps.

Dammit, I'll be on a business trip in Arizona when this gets sent to my house. My body is ready for some Jan Lee kicking dinosaurs in their faces!

TheOGB said:
I skipped randomly ahead and saw
Ryu slapping the shit out of Kasumi. LIKE A BOSS

Such a goddamn boss. Backhanded her whiny ass like me and a lot of other people have wanted to do from day one.

Who was that Ryu was with in that scene, on the computer? Looked a little like Sonia from NG2, maybe?

low-G

Will be my 2nd 3DS game (bought it at launch). Gonna use my LA Noire $15 Amazon credit towards it.

I've actually enjoyed and put a good amount of time into each previous main DOA title, so that's good. Should be neat on 3DS...

RpgN

Do you get those costumes only once a day or more than once? How long does the first chance go for?

Hayashi's Team Ninja is making a shitty DOA game but I'm conflicted (Itagaki's TN made the awful DOA4 to be fair, which this is based mainly on). If I don't buy this, there's less chance of future DOA games being made and if I do buy it, there's more chance at future DOA games but Hayashi will think that the gameplay in this version is perfect when in reality it's extremely flawed. What do I do? Ffff...

Ninja Dom

Nice OP.

Nintendo/Tecmo Koei have sent out plenty of review copies, does anyone know how 60fps is handled? Is online confirmed 30fps? What about local play?

Is it like Super SF IV and you actually have to turn off 3D in the Game Options (rather than use the 3D depth slider) to get 60fps in Single Player mode??

NateDrake

Ninja Dom said:
Nice OP.

Nintendo/Tecmo Koei have sent out plenty of review copies, does anyone know how 60fps is handled? Is online confirmed 30fps? What about local play?

Is it like Super SF IV and you actually have to turn off 3D in the Game Options (rather than use the 3D depth slider) to get 60fps in Single Player mode??
60FPS in 2D mode and 30FPS in 3D. The game detects whether you have the 3D slider on/off and adjusts based on that. No need to turn it off from a menu like SSFIV. At least that is what has been said.

Ninja Dom

NateDrake said:
60FPS in 2D mode and 30FPS in 3D. The game detects whether you have the 3D slider on/off and adjusts based on that. No need to turn it off from a menu like SSFIV. At least that is what has been said.
Nice work, Team Ninja. Much easier controlling the fps in single player on the fly instead of setting it up in Options first.

Ninja Dom

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I guess there's no playable Samus in this or is there just a Metroid stage?

It'd be nice if Zero Suit Samus was a playable character like from Brawl.
Nah. IGN interview with Hayashi confirmed that Samus is not playable.

dreamfall

This shall be my first 3DS title! Bought the system at launch, just been Street Passing & playing Okamiden. About the DLC costumes, do you just have to launch the game every day for those weeks?

Top Bottom