• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

dead phoenix is back?

D

dicklaurent

Unconfirmed Member
I BELIEVE THIS NEWS! Damn, I hope it's true. Please be true. Pleeeaaaaase!

D

dicklaurent

Unconfirmed Member
UltraMagnanimous said:
I have to say I really didn't think the original video looked very good.
It didn't look good, no.. but take it for what it was, a really early video and not anywhere near a finished game. What it did have (in my opinion, omg) was potential, and that's really all it needs between then and 3-4 years later (now). :)

I believe the director of Dead Pheonix started working on Sengoku Basara (Devil Kings) afterwards. So if that was the case than it's unlikely.

The director of Resident Evil "3.5" you know, the castle looking pre-village of the damned RE4 is working on DMC4. Something-"Shibata" was his name. He was also the director of Resident Evil 3 and Code Veronica.

Mikami and Kamiya are now part of Clover studios (Kamiya is doing Okami) and Mikami has a new game in the works.

Hold on, I have all the names and projects listed out on spreadsheet lol (it's interesting to track Capcom directors as they go from project to project like Mexican Jumping Beens....not funny/10 I know but still :lol

D

dicklaurent

Unconfirmed Member
Any word on what he's working on now that Sengoku Basara is finished? Heh, don't worry.. I'm not insinuating he's working on this, just interested to know about his next project.

(fanboying Dead Phoenix, just in case)

dicklaurent said:
couch1.gif
:lol :lol :lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
dicklaurent said:
Any word on what he's working on now that Sengoku Basara is finished? Heh, don't worry.. I'm not insinuating he's working on this, just interested to know about his next project.

(fanboying Dead Phoenix, just in case)
GHOSTS AND GHOULS REVOLUTION!

Come on Crapcom - PS2 release.

Sorry GC kids, I had to sell mine into slavery. And lack of funds across the board means a repurchase is highly unlikely. :(

Not to mention they spread that piece of crap Killer 7 all over. F that. Gimme Dead Phoenix PS2. :D

Culex

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Come on Crapcom - PS2 release.

Sorry GC kids, I had to sell mine into slavery. And lack of funds across the board means a repurchase is highly unlikely. :(

Not to mention they spread that piece of crap Killer 7 all over. F that. Gimme Dead Phoenix PS2. :D

Just to spite you, I hope they make it GC exclusive. :lol

Fine by me.

Less sales, and Gamecube will still close this generation behind Microsoft. :lol

That was totally uncalled for. Go troll at some other message board. We're trying to discuss Dead Phoenix.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
i wish they would resurrect it. i like every game in the 'capcom 5' lineup. i'm sure i'd like this one too

Wario64 said:
i wish they would resurrect it. i like every game in the 'capcom 5' lineup. i'm sure i'd like this one too

Me, too, although I seem to have them out of order according to the general consensus:

1. Resident Evil 4
2. P.N. 03
3. Killer 7
4. Viewtiful Joe

Nothing can touch RE4, I'm sure we can all agree. But after that, I liked P.N. 03 the best, by far. I thought it took old-school shoot-em-up mechanics and put a current-gen twist on them very nicely. I love that game!
Killer 7 is pretty good, especially taking into account the weirdness / storyline factor in addition to the solid but uninspired shooter mechanics underneath. Very low replayability, I'll say (I have finished it, probably won't play through again).
Viewtiful Joe, I consider the worst of the bunch (although extremely original and welcome for that fact alone). It's a fresh, appealing game, but ultimately too repetitive and not gripping enough (like K7) to hold my interest. I didn't finish it, although to be fair that's also 'cause it was really hard and frustrated me.

Dead Phoenix was the one I had the highest hopes for back when we knew next-to-nothing about them. I hope they bring it back, too--and if they do, I'll be the first to accuse them of doing it on purpose to garner more attention and make it live up to its namesake! :)

Leondexter said:
Nothing can touch RE4, I'm sure we can all agree.
Honestly.... I don't know if its the fact that I just beat Killer 7 recently and haven't played RE4 in a while, but I find the storyline in K7 to be enough a draw to keep me coming back, possibly moreso than the gameplay did for RE4. I like both games very very much, and have been two of my favorites for this year and possibly even all of GC, but I like them in VERY different ways. I would be hard pressed to rank one over the other, IMO.

Kunai said:
RE3 (and Dino Crisis 3) Director was: Kazuhiro Aoyama
RE Code Veronica: Hiroki Katoh

Dead Phoenix was a Hiroki Katoh project.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/377/377330p1.html

I just got my info from an IGN Insider article on the Capcom 5 press event:

It's an insider article so I'll just copy and paste the text in question:

And there they are. They may not look like game producers at first sight, but that's because Capcom made them dress up in costume (some more elaborate than others). You're looking at, from left to right:

Shinji Mikami
Born: 1965, Joined Capcom: 1990, worked on Biohazard and now heads up R&D 4. Now directing P.N.03 and producing Killer 7

Hiroyuki Kobayashi
Born: 1972, Joined Capcom: 1995, worked on Biohazard and Dino Crisis and produced Devil May Cry. Now producing Biohazard 4 and P.N.03.

Hiroki Katou
Born: 1970, Joined Capcom: 1994, worked as planner on Biohazard and director on Biohazard Code: Veronica. Now directing Dead Phoenix.

Hiroshi Shibata
Born: 1967, Joined Capcom: 1991, worked on Biohazard 3. Now directing Biohazard 4.

Hideki Kamiya
Born: 1970, Joined Capcom: 1994, worked on biohazard and served as director on Biohazard 2 and Devil May Cry. Now directing Viewtiful Joe.

Gouichi Suda
Born: 1968. Director at Grasshopper Manufacture. Previous work includes Moonlight Syndrome, Silver Jiken and Hana to Taiyou to Ame to. Now directing Killer 7.

Atsuhi Inaba (not pictured)
Born: 1971, Joined Capcom: 1998. Produced Biohazard Code: Veronica Complete and also worked on the Gyakuten Saiban series and Tekki.

I love Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7. I think I may finally get around to picking P.N.03 up just to honor Shinji Mikami's genius work on Resident Evil 4.

123rl

Dead Phoenix? Hell yeah! Give it to me!! I don't care what platform...more Capcom games = good

The Capcom Four have been four of my favourite games this gen (RE4 IS my fave game) and the other Capcom games like DMC and Onimusha have been just as awesome. Capcom make excellent games (key word: games) so I have lots of faith in them. Until I'm proved wrong, this game will be excellent

Oh and Killer 7 is brilliant. Most original, innovative game I've played in ages. The guy who called it a piece of crap is 1 Capcom insult away from going on my ignore list

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I liked the look of Dead Phoenix.

The old trailer looked a bit rough technically, but I think the game itself had a lot of potential.

ToyMachine228 said:
I love Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7. I think I may finally get around to picking P.N.03 up just to honor Shinji Mikami's genius work on Resident Evil 4.

I used to think Shinji Mikami directed PN03, somebody told me otherwise, but I guess he REALLY DID direct PN03.

The game sucked. Which makes me further believe that Mikami can only do one thing right "Resident Evil," RE4 was good, but wow--3 years and how many retries?

Kamiya, Inafune, and Funimazu are IMO Capcom's top talent. And it's a shame Kamiya is in this "I don't like working on sequals" mindset, I'd love for him to make another Devil May Cry or work on another Resident Evil. (RE2 was my favorite). But hey, apparently Okami is impressing people front and back so maybe it was an equal trade.

Enzom21

They showed the trailer for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney directly after "2003? Dead Phoenix is reborn in 2005.", so I think it was a bad attempt at a joke on G4's part.

C- Warrior said:
I used to think Shinji Mikami directed PN03, somebody told me otherwise, but I guess he REALLY DID direct PN03.

The game sucked. Which makes me further believe that Mikami can only do one thing right "Resident Evil," RE4 was good, but wow--3 years and how many retries?

Kamiya, Inafune, and Funimazu are IMO Capcom's top talent. And it's a shame Kamiya is in this "I don't like working on sequals" mindset, I'd love for him to make another Devil May Cry or work on another Resident Evil. (RE2 was my favorite). But hey, apparently Okami is impressing people front and back so maybe it was an equal trade.

Shinji Mikami Produced P.N.03. He didn't direct it if I remember correctly. And on Resident Evil 4...Shinji Mikami didn't do any work on the game whatsoever until the final "version", which is the one that we all have in our libraries. He Directed the final Resident Evil 4.

ToyMachine228 said:
Shinji Mikami Produced P.N.03. He didn't direct it if I remember correctly. And on Resident Evil 4...Shinji Mikami didn't do any work on the game whatsoever until the final "version", which is the one that we all have in our libraries. He Directed the final Resident Evil 4.

I think he worked on re4 before the final version, I believe it was after that first e3 when they showed an earlt trailer that he joined the team and scrapped the whole thing, then I blieve we had the "man with the hook'' version, then re4: tokyo then finally the final version

Dead Phoenix was my favorite of the Capcom 5...so of course it was the only one to get axed.

If Capcom releases it, I hope they take the time to do it right rather than scraping together what was already done and putting a quick finish on it to get a quick buck.

..pakbeka.. said:
I think he worked on re4 before the final version, I believe it was after that first e3 when they showed an earlt trailer that he joined the team and scrapped the whole thing, then I blieve we had the "man with the hook'' version, then re4: tokyo then finally the final version

You remember that "hook version" trailer that we saw? That was shortly after Mikami started work on Resident Evil 4. They made up that trailer and then called Mikami in to bring everything together. He scrapped the "hook version" first thing, and started work on what we now know as Resident Evil 4.

..pakbeka.. your avatar is over the file size limit. Please compress it, or change it.

sorry for that, is it okay now?

I'll miss that wryyyyyyyyyyy..... azumanga + wryyyyyyy = teh win

Edit:
ToyMachine228 said:
You remember that "hook version" trailer that we saw? That was shortly after Mikami started work on Resident Evil 4. They made up that trailer and then called Mikami in to bring everything together. He scrapped the "hook version" first thing, and started work on what we now know as Resident Evil 4.

I see... but after mikami joined wasn't there a plan to make re4 with the gameplay it has now, but the setting in tokyo? I hope they bring that back for re5, not necessarily tokyo, but a large city

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
..pakbeka.. your avatar is over the file size limit. Please compress it, or change it.

13kb over the limit killing your dial up connection?

ToyMachine228 said:

Then why does every publication list Mikami has the director?

I personally would just like to know some solid truth, the best of course would be somebody who beat the game and watched the credits.

I for one enjoyed the game...then 2 hours passed by. And I couldn't stomach that shit anymore.

C- Warrior said:
Then why does every publication list Mikami has the director?

Hey C-Warrior I just looked it up on the old P.N.03 website, and Shinji Mikami is listed as the Director. But I'm pretty sure that the only work he did on it was the concept...Maybe I'm wrong again. Regardless, technically you are right.

Top Bottom