• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space - GI October cover

hopefully not another "we make him have a cool mask because our modelers can't make real faces for shit" syndrome.

The potential for a neat atmosphere seems there, though. *awaits issue*

Agent Icebeezy said:
Microsoft seems to look out for them though. Halo 3 stuff. Ninja Gaiden on 1up.com, etc

Which is, again, stuff we either know about, or stuff that everyone knew was coming and that others would get to do previews on soon after. Bioshock was a pretty big exclusive in terms of content, and it was genuinely exclusive for some time. It's not just that they get the exclusives, it's that they actually do something with them in terms of article sizes and content.

And it's popular to say that oh well, they only do this to serve their own interests as official store chain mags, but it really works out for the best. New and previously unknown IPs are given as much or more space than established franchises, which is a good thing. We already know about the other franchises, and GI lets us know about the brand new ones.

Why does it always have to be fucking monsters in horror games? Why can't it be more psychological stuff, like things you don't and can't see? That's far more spooky than most of these Saturday-matinee "Creature Feature" rejects.

game sounds cool, from what very, very little we have to go on. Doesn't remind me of Bioshock at all, in fact i didn't really see the Big Daddy resemblance until someone pointed it out. Main character looks more like some kind of futuristic space knight to me. Concept sounds like Pitch Black in videogame form, which could kick 31 flavors of ass if done right.

disappeared said:
Why does it always have to be fucking monsters in horror games? Why can't it be more psychological stuff, like things you don't and can't see? That's far more spooky than most of these Saturday-matinee "Creature Feature" rejects.

Because monster horror is a hell of a lot easier to pull off, and I'd imagine doubly so in a game setting, than psychological horror.

Chiggs

Gold Member
disappeared said:

Because people are dumb.

Mrbob said:
Yes that rule is don't duct tape two gamecubes together to make a system.

I would have thought that the combination of the general principles according to which neither 3rd party games nor mature games sell well on a Nintendo console would have, above all, killed the possibility of this game appearing on Wii, but I guess that it's conceivable that some publisher, somewhere, would care more about the respect of the developer's creative vision than the potential profit. Indeed, it's possible...Isn' it ?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
disappeared said:
Because you can't aim rocket launchers and assault rifles at things you can't see.

Kevin

Wow you see one piece of artwork for the game and everyone goes berserk over it. Just wait until we see some screenshots and information before tearing this game apart.

Hemmdog

I think you guys are taking this in the wrong direction. The game is more like Resident Evil than Bioshock. It's a horror game.

And a very impressive one at that.

Cheers,

Andy

RiverBed

Banned
a new IP from EA? HELL YEAH!! I love these guys. they have production values and presentation like no other. just look at all the recent new EA IPs; they are making ripples all over.

can't wait to see pics of this. maybe I'll get lucky at TGS. :)

Kevin said:
Wow you see one piece of artwork for the game and everyone goes berserk over it. Just wait until we see some screenshots and information before tearing this game apart.

yeah and i get shitted on for defending a game, while everyone else sees one piece of artwork and goes bananas calling it a bioshock clone and saying it will suck.

give me a break.

There's a team of Ultimate Warrior ripoffs at EA?
renegade1.jpg

yeah. lets all shit on EA even when they announce a new IP.

is every horror game from now on going to be called a bioshock ripoff? nothing looks like bioshock on that cover story.

plagiarize said:

is every horror game from now on going to be called a bioshock ripoff? nothing looks like bioshock on that cover story.

be careful how you word what you're saying, you may get branded an ea viral marketer or a developer.

plagiarize said:

What is odd is that I thought we had pretty much agreed on that EA wasn't doing so bad this generation. As for new IPs, there is Mirror's Edge which looks phenomenal, and now this.

Cardon

Is this the game that the Godfather team is handling? They were rumored to be working on a System Shock type game and this new title seems to fit with that rumor.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Gribbix said:
Seriously. Really, guys? You really think they're ripping off BioShock? The same game that most of GAF thought would bomb hard and the other part hardly had any interest only a month or so before its release. So by saying that EA is ripping BioShock off, you guys are basically admitting that EA has greater foresight than most of you.
Quoted for exemplary ownage.

AltogetherAndrews said:
What is odd is that I thought we had pretty much agreed on that EA wasn't doing so bad this generation. As for new IPs, there is Mirror's Edge which looks phenomenal, and now this.
i certainly felt that way, and i'm never going to stop giving my honest opinion on stuff even if it leaves me branded an EA viral marketer.

i love horror games. i want to know more about this one before i decide how promising it looks, but trashing it just because it's EA when we don't even know the team or anything about the title beyond one cover seems utterly retarded.

if it looks crap you'll hear it from me.

like everyone else i know nothing about this game.... good bad average and i've not said anything suggesting i think this is going to be good.

i'm just pretty tired of seeing a game trashed from the first moment purely because it's coming from EA when it's not as if every game they're putting out right now is a bunch of ass.

we hated EA because they were just whoring franchises. that's why we worried when they bought criterion. we worried that they'd turn Burnout into a yearly thing and it'd ruin a great series. when they actually take a risk on a new IP, we should praise them for that imho.

any new IP, whoever it's coming from, deserves us to wait until we know more than it's name, it's setting and have only seen one screenshot of the game.

To be fair though, it seems as if most people are dogging on it because of some [non-existent] similarity to Bioshock, which of course doesn't make it any better. And perhaps those comments wouldn't have been made if it wasn't a game from EA, but then you had people talking about Prototype as if it was some Crackdown clone so there may or may not be any truth to that theory. New IPs, they burn the skin it seems. I think people are just desperate to find a reference point, so they will blurt something out regardless of how thin that something is.

Zer0

Banned
Chiggs said:
^^^^Beaten!

A "renegade team at EA?" :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

In 2006 a crack coders unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team

XD

Thing is, that regardless of how "used" the space motif is in terms of other games, it really hasn't been put to proper use for a horror setting. AvP2 certainly did good, but that was a legacy game and followed the tone set by the source material moreso than anything. I'm excited to see if these guys can make the most of the "dark depths of space". Because that concept can be really terrifying.

J-Rzez

GI gets some unique titles that's for sure... I'm actually surprised at EA pushing a lot of new IP's (well, more than I expected)... Maybe they're gonna try to reinvent themselves... They just need to get the programmers up to snuff, and get their titles out at the same time, and see those sales figures go up as well most likely...

So can we turn this into the GameInformer October issue reviews thread too?

Okay!

Guitar Hero III..... 8.75 / 9
Stuntman Ignition..... 8.5 / 9
Fifa 08..... 7.75 / 7.75
Skate..... 8.75 / 8.5
NHL 2K8..... 7.75 / 8.25
NHL 08..... 8.5 / 8.5
Medal of Honor Airborne..... 7.25 / 7.25
Warriors Orochi..... 5.75
Dynasty Warriors Gundam..... 5
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core..... 7.75
Heavenly Sword..... 8.75 / 9
Warhawk..... 8.25 / 8
GRAW 2 (PS3)..... 8.5 / 8.5
Fatal Inertia..... 7.5 / 7
Stranglehold..... 7.25 / 7.25
Wild Arms 5..... 6.5 / 6.5
Soul Nomad..... 7.75 / 7.25
Metroid Prime 3..... 9.5 / 8.75 (GOTM)
My Sims..... 8 / 8
Dewy's Adventure..... 7 / 6.25
Tiger Woods 08 Wii..... 7 / 8.25
Madden 08 Wii..... 7.5 / 7.75
Boogie..... 7.75 / 6
Alien Syndrome..... 6.25 / 5
World in Conflict..... 9.25 / 8.25
Rune Factory..... 5.75 / 6
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass..... 9.5 / 9.5 (Handheld GOTM)
Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles..... 7 / 7.25
Dragoneer's Aria..... 5.75
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Heroes..... 6.75
Hot PXL..... 6
Worms Open Warfare 2..... 7.5
Drawn to Life..... 7

Heavenly Sword scoring higher than Warhawk adds more credence to the claim that GI review scores are relatively to sales potential than anything else. That is if one desired to make such an argument, which I don't. Really.

edit: Fatal Inertia scores a 7.5? Really?

AltogetherAndrews said:
edit: Fatal Inertia scores a 7.5? Really?

What's awesome is that, in reading the review, you expect the score to be like a 4. But no, 7.5. And a second opinion of 7. Pretty loose standards in my book.

EDIT: I have to add this sentence, taken from the review: Added to the traditional dynamics of balancing the lean/turn and an array of weapon pad pickups, you'll also be juggling the vehicle's pitch - thanks to the use of Unreal 3, Fatal Inertia has you bouncing all over the place.

Ummm... what?

AltogetherAndrews said:

I agree. Its like EA and Ubisoft sort of switched roles this gen.

sp0rsk said:
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass..... 9.5 / 9.5

Yah. Why do they make a distinction based on Handheld GOTM, and normal GOTM, because to me, at this point in the gaming industry, there should be no difference what platform the game is on... if a game deserves GOTM, fukkin give it to them. Stop with this separation of... whatever. Having multiple categories is a copout, and is lazy.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Cardon said:
Is this the game that the Godfather team is handling? They were rumored to be working on a System Shock type game and this new title seems to fit with that rumor.

No, different team.

The Godfather team was pretty disjointed since it was so huge at some points (hundreds of people), that teams is no longer together. Everybody is more spaced out now. In Japan youll find that more teams "stay" together trough series of games, in the US it varies a TON from project to project, specially on big companies like EA were a lot of people get traded around.

Top Bottom