• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space - GI October cover

Wiktor

Wario64 said:
The Bioshock clones begin
Well..considering Bioshock was already a clone I don't see a problem with that. Oh..and Cryostasis also looks like Bioshock with ice instead of water and with their own versions of Big daddys :) Altough considering the fact how early the development of it started it's propably just a concidence (aside from the big daddys though :) )

RiverBed

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Because monster horror is a hell of a lot easier to pull off, and I'd imagine doubly so in a game setting, than psychological horror.
I don't agree. something like Fatal Frame would be easier to make. this is just a design direction. this setting allow for more action based gameplay.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Speaking of which (or not at all, really), have we heard anything more about the Aliens game that Gearbox is developing?
basically nothing. it's due in 09, but they haven't remotely taken the wraps off it yet.

wsippel

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
What? Is there some rule that cool games can't be made for Wii? I mean, wtf? I'm tired of seeing all the high-concept, baddass, games passing up Wii.
Probably. Western developers may only develop shit for Wii. It's a law or something I believe. Or maybe western devs are just stupid.

FoneBone

AltogetherAndrews said:
Speaking of which (or not at all, really), have we heard anything more about the Aliens game that Gearbox is developing?
Not really. I think they've talked about it very vaguely on their forums, but it's still way too early to show anything substantial.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
So can a game still be a clone if it was already well into development before the game it's supposedly cloning was revealed? HELP ME UNDERSTAND.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
D2M15 said:
So can a game still be a clone if it was already well into development before the game it's supposedly cloning was revealed? HELP ME UNDERSTAND.

Well, good luck telling consumers that AAA games like this one have been in the design/production process for about two years.

Its a fact that people call a game "clone" of something when they don't want to see the game succeed. Objectively speaking, every game is a clone of something for the most part

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Finally is out. The producers are very excited about this game. I hope it will be great. Never got to see it running though.
Wario64 said:
The Bioshock clones begin
They were far along in production around last may when I visited EA. I doubt they were influenced by Bioschock at all.

wsippel said:
Probably. Western developers may only develop shit for Wii. It's a law or something I believe. Or maybe western devs are just stupid.
Or maybe the good devs just don't want to work with the wii hardware and see more potential for achieving their ideas on more powerful platforms.

"here's a cover of a magazine with one image of a new game you've never seen before"

"OMG BIOSHOCK CLONE LOLZ EA ROFFLES SUCK SUCK HORROR ZOMBIES IN SPACE LOLZ"

golem

cool that they mention event horizon, although it seems to have turned out to be a fluke in mr. andersons career

looking forward to hearing more about the game, but then again i just like shooting shit in space

wsippel

Banned
devilscallmedad said:
Or maybe the good devs just don't want to work with the wii hardware and see more potential for achieving their ideas on more powerful platforms.
I highly doubt that's it...

Acosta

Yes, Bioshock clone total, they just get in the head of Levine telepatically and said "hey, this idea is going to be great and successful, let´s clone it!".

I don´t know anything about the game, but some of you are being unfair and show poor knowledge of how a videogame is developed.

slider

golem said:
cool that they mention event horizon, although it seems to have turned out to be a fluke in mr. andersons career

Weird. Reading the reference to Event Horizon excited me but when I stopped to think I remembered Event Horizon was, umm, patchy at best.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
AltogetherAndrews said:
And why is that?

By the time development on this game started, Wii handt released and was the laughing stock of the industry. Making this for next gen made all the sense in the world then.

B E N K E

For Game Informer to prioritise Dead Space over Project Origin for the cover it must look amazing.... but then again the covers for GI usually aren't decided on merit.

butsomuch

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=17455

More Info On Dead Space

The new print issue of Game Informer magazine has been mailed to subscribers and as promised has the first info on Dead Space, the newly revealed sci-fi themed survival horror game from Electronic Arts. Developed by EA's Redwood Shores studio, Dead Space is set in the far future and has an engineer as your main character, He's sent to see what has happened to a "planet cracker" mining ship (a ship that breaks down an entire planet to rumble) who has sent a mysterious distress signal. Once on board the ship your character discovers than an alien race called the "Necromorphs" have taken over the ship, killing and then infecting humans to twist them into weird and horrifing forms. The game is not going to be designed as a Doom style shooter but a true Silent Hill-Resident Evil style survival horror game with creatures that can actually hurt you even when you think you have fired fatal shots at them. The game will also feature zero gravity combat in space suits. EA plans to release a six issue prequel comic book series from Image Comics before Dead Space is released (indeed a seven page Dead Space preview comic was given out by Image last July at the San Diego Comic Con but its tie-in to the EA game was not revealed at the time). The game is currently set for release at the end of 2008 for the PS3 and Xbox 360 (no word on a PC version).

Hesemonni

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Renegade team. :lol

EA: Make moar sports games.
Badass renegades: Fuck that, we're making a Bioshock clone. TO THE EXTREME.
Ok, so now I have coke dripping from my nose and all over my laptop.

you want a pretty creepy 'space' horror game?

Echo Night: BEYOND for the PS2. I really enjoyed it... and many parts freaked the ever loving crap out of me. Literally. I wasted a whole set of 800 thread count sheets. The stink still lingers... fucking microwavable Hamburger Helper...

plagiarize said:
yeah. lets all shit on EA even when they announce a new IP.

is every horror game from now on going to be called a bioshock ripoff? nothing looks like bioshock on that cover story.

Bioshock is NOT a horror game.

Dante

AltogetherAndrews said:
Zero-G combat, eh? I assume they will be selling this on atmosphere and mood, because the basic synopsis doesn't seem terribly original, does it?

The Zero G stuff was the coolest part of the demo I saw.

Kosma

Banned
Horror in space? If done right, could turn out great. Too bad there I have never seen Game Informer here in the Netherlands to look at some pics.

1129304735_3838-1.jpg

Hemmdog

B E N K E said:
For Game Informer to prioritise Dead Space over Project Origin for the cover it must look amazing.... but then again the covers for GI usually aren't decided on merit.

Aren't decided on merit? As the EIC I take offense to this. We see a lot of games, and I mean a lot of games before we choose what we put on the cover.

In last two years alone, we have had some of the best games around that we broke the story on including Bioshock, Bully, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Star Wars Unleashed, GTA 4, Call of Duty 4, Fallout 3, DMC 4, Crackdown, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, and God of War 2. And that list doesn't include some of the games I think people will be talking about a lot in the future like Prototype and Borderlands. Dead Space is a very impressive game, and we definitely choose that title on merit.

Game Informer goes out on a limb and puts games on its cover that not every outlet would do simply because it is a new IP, regardless of quality. We work very hard to find the best games that you may or may not have heard of. No one is gonna knock every game out of the park but our batting average is pretty damn good.

Cheers,

Andy

It's really this focus on new IPs that puts it above the rest as far as I'm concerned. I mean, obviously it's nice to read about highly anticipated games as well, but there's nothing like reading that first preview of something that sounds incredible (like Bioshock, or Prototype which sounds like this incredible open world unleashed experience). It also helps that the articles are as encompassing as they are, as it really gives a solid first impression.

Let me ask this:

If you have a completely unlimited array of options to create "aliens", and are asked to make them specifically to scare people; if these are your guidelines, why do you choose to create humanoid aliens instead of some totally original freaky shit?

Aren't people who work on games supposed to be creative?

Maybe they don't give their audience enough credit to be scared by anything that doesn't have 2 eyes on a head.

Top Bottom