• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space - GI October cover

Steverrific said:
Let me ask this:

If you have a completely unlimited array of options to create "aliens", and are asked to make them specifically to scare people; if these are your guidelines, why do you choose to create humanoid aliens instead of some totally original freaky shit?

Aren't people who work on games supposed to be creative?

Maybe they don't give their audience enough credit to be scared by anything that doesn't have 2 eyes on a head.

There's a familiarity to it that makes sense especially in terms of combat impact and satisfaction. I mean, a levitating tree with chainsaws attached to nasty trunk-tacles would be rather creative, but in the interest of scene intensity it may not actually be as desirable as a relatively tangible blindfolded, chainsaw wielding, screaming psycho hag.

That, and if these entities are supposed to be former humans who were killed and infected by the actual alien race... it makes some sense if at least those are humanoid, no?

Kydd BlaZe

Hmmm....looks intruiging to say the least. Coming from EA, though, so I'm not expecting much other than an average game. We'll see, though.

Project Origin should be sick! The true sequel to F.E.A.R., enough with all these stupid knock-off expansions from Seirra...

XHitoshuraX said:
Bioshock is NOT a horror game.

ORLY?

Washington Post said:
Mike Musgrove: Can you cite any influences for BioShock from other games, or movies or books? I feel like the Shining was in there?

Ken Levine: I saw the Shining when I was 9 years old. It pretty much set my notion of how to do horror properly, that it has to be connected to character, that horror is about loss at the end of the day. A fear of losing things that are important to you is what drives horror-- not a monster in the closet, but losing the things that you love. To me, that's what Rapture and the world of BioShock is. That's why Rapture had to be a beautiful place at once, that it had to be this fallen glory and all these lives had to be incredible and had to hold so much promise. The fact that they fell apart had to be a tragedy or there's just no horror there.

I was going to say, for not being a horror game, Irrational sure did seem fond of using standard horror staples. Turning off the lights to reveal new enemies, have enemies appear behind you, silhouettes in the distance, and such. I guess it depends on what your definition of a horror game is, but if Condemned falls under horror then so does Bioshock.

VictimOfGrief said:
yeah.. boy Bioshock in space? Bald Marines to follow? :lol

1156822123_icspatrick.jpg

TemplaerDude said:
bioshock was a horror game. just because some people don't get scared doesn't make it any less of a horror game.
didn't scare me one bit (which was my only disappointment with the game, i love being scared), but it sure as hell was horror.

I don't think I've ever played a game that I deemed scary or even disturbing, but then I'm kind of a disturbing person myself. And I'm not sure how much value I see in just scare value anyway. I value intensity, atmosphere and mystery much higher than I do "scariness". Creepiness is good too, as long as it feels genuine.

Top Bottom