• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space IGN Review

I probably wont get this as I am not really a fan of the genre (making an exception for RE5), but I really like the visual design in this...the graphics look excellent. Use this engine for Mass Effect 2! It looks quite a lot more impressive than that game

Bliddo said:
Damn, I can't decide... 360 or ps3...
Despite what I said about my choice earlier -- me, neither.

I'll just wait for the reviews to pan out.

nelsonroyale said:
I probably wont get this as I am not really a fan of the genre (making an exception for RE5), but I really like the visual design in this...the graphics look excellent. Use this engine for Mass Effect 2! It looks quite a lot more impressive than that game
It's all a matter of capability. All of BioWare's games have a slew of technical issues, which is complete bullshit. They should never get away with that stuff.

senahorse

Note to Aussies (probably the same elsewhere), if you pre-order Dead Space (any platform) you get the animated movie Dead Space Downfall, free. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
U K Narayan said:
It's all a matter of capability. All of BioWare's games have a slew of technical issues, which is complete bullshit. They should never get away with that stuff.
The only Bioware game I've played through is Mass Effect, and I completely agree. They got away with shit that somewhere like, for example, EA Redwood would get hanged for.

Rez>You said:
The only Bioware game I've played through is Mass Effect, and I completely agree. They got away with shit that somewhere like, for example, EA Redwood would get hanged for.
I hope their integration with Electronic Arts turns out to be a good thing. If BioWare keeps churning out mediocrity, I will gladly pass on them for the remainder of the generation.

U K Narayan said:
I hope their integration with Electronic Arts turns out to be a good thing. If BioWare keeps churning out mediocrity, I will gladly pass on them for the remainder of the generation.

Mass Effect wasn't mediocrity, and they don't "churn out" games.

I was a huge fan of Mass Effect, but I have to agree with you guys. While it looked great and film-like, there were technical issues that really shouldn't have been in there. Especially considering how few environments the game had and the amount of time they had to optimize. At least these technical issues weren't given a complete free pass as they were readily apparent in reviews.

:lol GAF are like the beaten spouse:

IGN gives them shit reviews> GAF cries and say they'll never pay attention to IGN again > IGN gives GAF a good review for a game they think they'll like and they're back in love

Pein

Banned
I'll definitely be getting this even though I scare very easily and I couldn't even finish siren

yeah and mass effect was a mess technically after I became a spectre I stopped playing, EA should get bioware on this engine

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
TheHeretic said:
Mass Effect was a boring, over rated piece of poorly made, lazily designed shit with a few notable exceptions sprinkled throughout the game. If a game designer were to walk up to me and ask what not to do for their next project, I'd point in Mass Effect's direction.

Annnnnyway... as I asked earlier: has it only been the US version that has been pushed forward?

EDIT: Perhaps not lazy. Very poor regardless.

Darklord

Banned
Are the specs for the PC released yet? I hope it isn't some shitty port.

Also, any Aussies know the cheapest or best deal for this? Ecogamer was hacked and that's where I use to get my info from. :(

TheHeretic said:
I felt that Mass Effect was mediocre. I also felt that it was sloppily designed. Keep in mind that this is how I feel about the game. I'm not stating in absolutes.

"Churning" is a poor word. I agree. I shouldn't have used it. Regardless, considering the amount of time BioWare takes to create a game -- the fact that there are numerous issues with the game's state is ludicrous.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
U K Narayan said:
I felt that Mass Effect was mediocre. I also felt that it was sloppily designed. Keep in mind that this is how I feel about the game, I'm not stating in absolutes.

"Churning" is a poor word. I agree. I shouldn't have used it.
He's not with me. I hate it.

But then it's late here and I'm unusually aggressive so perhaps you should take anything I type now for a grain of salt.

Jirotrom

nelsonroyale said:
definitely... I friggen hate the unreal engine.

Truant

U3 looks great in the right hands. It just bothers me that it renders shadows that look like the spraypaint tool from MSPaint.

Danielsan

Truant said:
U3 looks great in the right hands. It just bothers me that it renders shadows that look like the spraypaint tool from MSPaint.
Even in the owner's hands (epic) it comes with the all to famous texture load problem.
Really takes you out of the game.

Any who, Dead Space is pre-orderd. Hopefully it won't arrive until the week after. I kinda have some important stuff to do next week.

I'm very excited for this one. I should finish Homecoming tonight, so I'm glad I'll have some more quality horror goodness to satiate my palette. I'm assuming the game is not street-dated? The commercial I've seen says it's out on Tuesday.

A poster on IGN claims to have seen the newest OXM (Dec. 2008) on newstands, with the following scores:

OXM rumor said:
Fallout 3: 10
Fable 2 - 9.5
WWE 2009 - 8.5
Midnight Club LA - 8.0
Dead Space - 6.5

So...there's that.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Everybody go home. Reviewer gives 6.5, game fails, sky falls, riots ensue. You guys are better off offing yourselves right now so you don't have to live with the mass disappointment that is going to be Dead "6.5" Space.

todahawk

Darunia said:
where's the thread for Dead Space btw? who's doing one?

I've been thinking about doing one.

I watched the flamethrower clip on gametrailers and downloader the dev diaries from PSN last night, it looks really solid.

Only problems is that I wasn't counting on being interested in this game and I had budgeted for LBP after just buying Burnout Paradise City and WipeoutHD. Plus I have a ton of points sitting in Goozex but I don't want to wait!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
greenjerk said:
I've been thinking about doing one.

I watched the flamethrower clip on gametrailers and downloader the dev diaries from PSN last night, it looks really solid.

Only problems is that I wasn't counting on being interested in this game and I had budgeted for LBP after just buying Burnout Paradise City and WipeoutHD. Plus I have a ton of points sitting in Goozex but I don't want to wait!
LBP will be a better buy after a month or so anyway. If you're really interested, a renting of LBP will get it out of your system. You'll either fall head over heels in love or you'll just shrug and wonder why a remarkable average platformer is getting so much hype.

Truant said:
OXM is the Paul WS Anderson of gaming journalism.

And that's saying a god-damned lot.

I have a hard time believing that any decent action/horror game could be a full 2 points lower than a new Smackdown vs. Raw game. The score is either fake or OXM got a hair up their butts about some minor detail and derailed the entire review.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Even in the owner's hands (epic) it comes with the all to famous texture load problem.
Really takes you out of the game.
That rarely shows up in the games Epic has released. With Gears, for instance, you'll only see this when you load a save after dying. It's the price you pay for high quality textures in a low memory environment.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
dark10x said:
That rarely shows up in the games Epic has released. With Gears, for instance, you'll only see this when you load a save after dying. It's the price you pay for high quality textures in a low memory environment.

really? maybe my memory is failing me, but i remember texture pop-in happening quite a bit. additionally--and this maybe have been an connection latency issue--but when i play online co-op with a friend, once the environment became a completely blank sheet of plastic with no detail whatsoever, rendering the game nearly unplayable. i mean, i guess there will be some difficulties where online play is concerned, but gears of war presents some. . . unique hiccups, in my experience

tzp2gameknight said:
Good to see, glad to hear that this game wasn't a dud.

yes. otherwise we'd be subject to months of "DUD SPACE" posts

bigswords

Truant said:

Errrmmm this is not the U3 engine, it's EA own in house engine, even Cliffy was surprised.

Edit: Oopps I didn't read the full conversation. Yup all is good.

Proc

I'm glad this game is scoring well out the gate. I've been interested ever since that 1up show coverage.

Also, afternoon delight's avatar made me laugh my ass off when I was reminded of that scene. What a ridiculous movie lol.

Sleepaway-camp-angela.jpg

Truant

HugBasket said:
because reviewers across the sea give better reviews than those that are not?

No, because someone pointed out that the game had already been rated by OXM in response to the rumored 6.5.

Danielsan said:
Unreal engine 3 is easily one of the worst things to come along this gen.

Not really. Most of this gens clusterfucks come down to mismanagement and lack of a proper marketvision, even when the new state of the market is staring everyone in the face. /blaming-mode.

Practical version:

It's not like managers, devs, publishers or even GAF / elitists gamers really generally believed in 2003/ 2004 "HD is sooo going to bomb" (especially with H-L 2 or PC-gaming in general pushing forth the technological boundries), yet that would have been the time when choices had to be made for future technological investments, human resources, and so on.

Nobody predicted the Wii's success or the three (four-ish with PC added) hardware strategies and their results on the market when such an accurate prediction was needed.

UE3 as a symbol of "have the tech, but not being able to use it" was just on of the many traps that almost everyone basically had to walk into at some point.

(I guess, anyway)

Top Bottom