• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding - In-depth PS5 vs Nvidia & AMD PC - Performance Deep Dive

Does anyone know why the graphics options are not available on the PS5 version anymore? Or rather where can I set the 21:9 mode? I played my old save file for a few hours in the wide screen mode. I knew exactly where that setting was in the options menu, but when I started a new save, it defaulted to full screen and I cant find the damn setting to change it back. Cant even change it from performance to quality because that option isnt there either.
You in BC mode somehow?

So the opening cutscene is a weird benchmark. Ps5 has drops in totally different places then PC. I'm not sure how great a test it is. Loading to the same spot on my PC as the video is about 4 seconds maybe 5. This is on a 500mb SSD and a 7gb nvme. No change to loading.
Side note I'm enjoying it at 1440p dlss quality 150 fps

Md Ray

Vid coming soon... :messenger_savoring:

OYS17xj.png

Last edited:

Md Ray

What's the difference now? It seems faster on the 3070.

Still PS5 is pretty impressive for something that draws less 100W almost.

I wonder how much wattage can the PS5 push later this gen.
Yeah, pretty impressive for a $400-500 console here.

What's fascinating is that you have scenes like this where both PS5 and 3070 PC have near-identical fps...

PS5: 60fps
3070 PC: 57fps loses -5%

SXgP74R.png

And then you also have scenes like this where it's a complete bloodbath in favor of 3070, though not surprising as both a PS5 and PCs are set up quite differently in terms of memory and how both CPU and GPU can access it.

PS5: 58fps
3070 PC: 74fps gains +28%

xZziM1C.png

Last edited:

What's fascinating is that you have scenes like this where both PS5 and 3070 PC have near-identical fps...

3070 PC: 57fps loses loses -5%

SXgP74R.png

And then you also have scenes like this where it's a complete bloodbath in favor of 3070, though not surprising as both a PS5 and PCs are set up quite differently in terms of memory and how both CPU and GPU can access it.

xZziM1C.png
I was gonna say I think the only fair way to bench the cutscenes is with AVG and lock PC to 60. The opening one on ps5 has a 40 where I got around 70 but ps5 had a few places much closer to me.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

3070 PC: 57fps loses loses -5%

SXgP74R.png

xZziM1C.png
Yeah, I noticed that too. The framerate is all over the place on PC. Just goes to show that the 1% drops mean nothing.

Now go buy the AMD 4800S and run the same tests with the 3070. ;p

It would be interesting to see just how much the PS5 CPU is holding back the GPU.

P.S I just played that section yesterday in widescreen mode and really didnt notice any framedrops. Then again i didnt even know i was playing the PS4 version a couple of days ago so wtf do i know. I was very surprised by just how fast i got there. In pretty much one sitting. Around 3 hours I think. I remember it being a slog on my first playthrough. I fell down a lot. This time around i didnt fall once because if you press and Hold L2 and R2, you will never fall down. And I avoided most BT encounters by going around or running right through them. just being smart and not carrying more than half the weight load made me far more agile and helped me quickly traverse the environment. Just goes to show that the game wasn't really as unforgiving as everyone thought back then. it was just so new, we didnt quite understand the mechanics.

Here it is! The Higgs cutscene benchmark. Native 4K, identical settings, Vsync on:

SlimySnake SlimySnake Black_Stride Black_Stride W Werewolfgrandma

Excellent work! We can see the modest CPU 3700X doing not much (20-30%) in many scenes, even gameplay. They must do the physics with GPU compute. As such this game is indeed a very good benchmark to compare PS5 against PC.

But the PS5 actually has higher settings than PC with better water and I wonder if this water shown here is rendered using the higher quality settings on PS5. As the whole cutscene is located in the middle of the water this could have a strong impact, can you check what kind of water quality that cutscene uses on PS5?

Md Ray

I was gonna say I think the only fair way to bench the cutscenes is with AVG and lock PC to 60. The opening one on ps5 has a 40 where I got around 70 but ps5 had a few places much closer to me.
Exactly. The drops occurring on Ampere and PS5 GPU don't seem to be happening in a linear fashion. It varies greatly from scene to scene, lol. I wonder how an RDNA 2 card like 6700 XT performs in that scene in comparison. That would be interesting to see.
Yeah, I noticed that too. The framerate is all over the place on PC. Just goes to show that the 1% drops mean nothing.

Now go buy the AMD 4800S and run the same tests with the 3070. ;p

It would be interesting to see just how much the PS5 CPU is holding back the GPU.

P.S I just played that section yesterday in widescreen mode and really didnt notice any framedrops. Then again i didnt even know i was playing the PS4 version a couple of days ago so wtf do i know. I was very surprised by just how fast i got there. In pretty much one sitting. Around 3 hours I think. I remember it being a slog on my first playthrough. I fell down a lot. This time around i didnt fall once because if you press and Hold L2 and R2, you will never fall down. And I avoided most BT encounters by going around or running right through them. just being smart and not carrying more than half the weight load made me far more agile and helped me quickly traverse the environment. Just goes to show that the game wasn't really as unforgiving as everyone thought back then. it was just so new, we didnt quite understand the mechanics.
Man, it would have been a lot more interesting if 4700S had supported at least PCIe 3.0 for graphics, that 2.0 is severely going to hamstring cards like RTX 3070, RX 6700 XT.

I 100% agree about it being a slog on the first go but didn't take very long to get to this cutscene this time around, surprisingly. I also took your advice of avoiding all the side missions as much as possible and kept focusing on the main missions to get there quickly. Now I'm itching to play more and actually beat it this time, it's very good. :messenger_ok:
Excellent work! We can see the modest CPU 3700X doing not much (20-30%) in many scenes, even gameplay. They must do the physics with GPU compute. As such this game is indeed a very good benchmark to compare PS5 against PC.

But the PS5 actually has higher settings than PC with better water and I wonder if this water shown here is rendered using the higher quality settings on PS5. As the whole cutscene is located in the middle of the water this could have a strong impact, can you check what kind of water quality that cutscene uses on PS5?
Thanks, that's an excellent work by Michael for finding a benchmarkable scene like that, I just added my 3070 footage next to his. :pie_ssmiling: Seeing 20-30% on the CPU bodes well for future titles which means there's a lot left in the tank to push it further. I imagine a similar % on PS5 as well, perhaps even lower since there's no Windows bloat in the background.

Hmm, that's a good point, you're probably right it having an impact on the framerate. But visually I wasn't able to notice any difference due to the scene being too dark.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's an excellent work by Michael for finding a benchmarkable scene like that, I just added my 3070 footage next to his. :pie_ssmiling: Seeing 20-30% on the CPU bodes well for future titles which means there's a lot left in the tank to push it further. I imagine a similar % on PS5 as well, perhaps even lower since there's no Windows bloat in the background.

Interesting point. Last generation CPU’s on both consoles were weak and bottlenecked, this made developers rely more on features like GPGPU compute (using the GPU for general purposes CPU tasks), I’m guessing it also forced developers to be extremely efficient in how the use the CPU when designing their games and it’s very likely this high level of efficiency will translate to next-generation as well, how this will manifests in game scenarios is yet to be seen.

Exactly. The drops occurring on Ampere and PS5 GPU don't seem to be happening in a linear fashion. It varies greatly from scene to scene, lol. I wonder how an RDNA 2 card like 6700 XT performs in that scene in comparison. That would be interesting to see.

Man, it would have been a lot more interesting if 4700S had supported at least PCIe 3.0 for graphics, that 2.0 is severely going to hamstring cards like RTX 3070, RX 6700 XT.

I 100% agree about it being a slog on the first go but didn't take very long to get to this cutscene this time around, surprisingly. I also took your advice of avoiding all the side missions as much as possible and kept focusing on the main missions to get there quickly. Now I'm itching to play more and actually beat it this time, it's very good. :messenger_ok:

Hmm, that's a good point, you're probably right it having an impact on the framerate. But visually I wasn't able to notice any difference due to the scene being too dark.
I'll probably get to that point in the game today and I'll post a few screens to compare.

Top Bottom