• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

zeorhymer

We should always support creators and developers.... they sacrifice a lot to make games, it's a difficult process and Kojima had to get a huge loan to set up his new studio.
I feel it would have been more on point to have such vitriol against EA or Blizzard or Bethesda, you know... one of the publishers that are run by money-grubbing scum that allow no creative freedom and just sit there coming up with stuff like lootboxes, subscription services and battlepasses all day.

But no, you have a load of petty haters out here trying to dunk on a game because it's not on their system instead of celebrating that a developer had full creative freedom at a AAA level. The whole thing is really annoying and kinda confirms that many people would rather burn the whole industry than see a company they see as a rival succeed.
No Man's Sky is a MASTERPIECE!!!!!!!!

Wink

For the people who are genuinely interested in what type of player would enjoy this type of game and for what reason while at the same time providing insight into why not everyone has to necessarily feel the same.
Aaaaand it's been.... deleted? Wtf?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

For the people who are genuinely interested in what type of player would enjoy this type of game and for what reason while at the same time providing insight into why not everyone has to necessarily feel the same.

Yeah, Yong was genuinely excited about it, and he really enjoyed it. The things he has said felt very honest. I thought this was pretty amusing.

Last edited:

vpance

Yeah, Yong was genuinely excited about it, and he really enjoyed it. The things he has said felt very honest. I thought this was pretty amusing.

Nice to see another reviewer who can clearly articulate why the gameplay loop was fun for them. The "Dark Souls of traversal" I think he said.

I can see why it can be addictive. It's like part contructor puzzle game and part survival sim, where the traversal has constantly active mini game going on. Then there's the management/planning aspect with choosing your load out and scouting the optimal paths.

IamOnline4Real

owns Galaxy Brain. Still shrink wrapped.
We should always support creators and developers.... they sacrifice a lot to make games, it's a difficult process and Kojima had to get a huge loan to set up his new studio.
I feel it would have been more on point to have such vitriol against EA or Blizzard or Bethesda, you know... one of the publishers that are run by money-grubbing scum that allow no creative freedom and just sit there coming up with stuff like lootboxes, subscription services and battlepasses all day.

But no, you have a load of petty haters out here trying to dunk on a game because it's not on their system instead of celebrating that a developer had full creative freedom at a AAA level. The whole thing is really annoying and kinda confirms that many people would rather burn the whole industry than see a company they see as a rival succeed.
Of course there will always be an element of this, but you can't say everybody that has issues with this game is totally wrong ans a fanboy, and by the same token we can't just give the game a pass because it's Kojima and his new studio, the game is ambitious in it's scope this should be applauded, but you still have to point out the games shortcomings too.

The majority of us here havent played the game yet, I give Kojima and his team a "break" until i can play the game myself and decide if i like it or not. I grew up in the 90's and when there was a game coming out, there was no hype around it, we had to play it first before we could make any judgment. And this hasn't changed for me., thats how i do it. I don't go to forums and talk negative non sense like some here are doing. No game is perfect.
Kojima has proved many times that he can make a game, and a good one.

I remember the first time i played Metal Gear Solid on my PSOne, I was 14 and boy..that game was confusing... but it also blew my mind! I did not know what to do, but the more i played, the more it started to click, the more the game grew on me. My hope is that Death Stranding has that "magic".

And for the haters, you guys can keep on hating. The game is already done and out for us to buy. I have already preorder my copy and i can't wait for Friday to be here and dive into that universe created by Hideo Kojima!

Last edited:
The majority of us here havent played the game yet, I give Kojima and his team a "break" until i can play the game myself and decide if i like it or not. I grew up in the 90's and when there was a game coming out, there was no hype around it, we had to play it first before we could make any judgment. And this hasn't changed for me., thats how i do it. I don't go to forums and talk negative non sense like some here are doing. No game is perfect.
Kojima has proved many times that he can make a game, and a good one.

I remember the first time i played Metal Gear Solid on my PSOne, I was 14 and boy..that game was confusing... but it also blew my mind! I did not know what to do, but the more i played, the more it started to click, the more the game grew on me. My hope is that Death Stranding has that "magic".

And for the haters, you guys can keep on hating. The game is already done and out for us to buy. I have already preorder my copy and i can't wait for Friday to be here and dive into that universe created by Hideo Kojima!
How can one member be so based?
HWaQd6Z.png

Here's a quick snippet of Kojima explaining one of the key designs behind the game:

HotPocket69

Banned
All of this Kojima/DS discussion has prompted me to put replays of MGS 1-3 on my to-do list. Also, for fun I'm gonna throw in the Jet Moto games and FF7 before the remake is out. Gonna be a fun next few months!

Yeah I’m currently reinstalling MGSV The Definitive Experience

If anything that first half hour is worth it alone.

Best stealth action game EVER

Dargor

IGN posted a gif of this game on twitter or somewhere else (cant remember right now) with the caption "me running from mondays" or something like that, it was really funny.

I bet it would make an even better gif at the hands of someone talented.

So... why are people invested in the idea of this being bad, exactly?

If your reasons are 1 of the following...

1. Kojima is a smug jerk or some variation
2. PS4 exclusive bad (coming to PC in a year)
3. Kojima makes movies (game is 50+ hours long and full of intricate systems)
4. Cherry picked reviews that don't like it while ignoring it getting possibly the most 10/10s of 2019
5. You truly believe you won't enjoy it without having played it

...maybe find something more constructive to do with your life? Critiquing a game you played and didn't like is totally fine, but this concern trolling, hoping for a game to fail, etc. is nauseating

woigemok

Banned
Down to 84 on Metacritic. If Edge reviewer decided to review the game after the flacks he received then rip the score. This review thread or Death Stranding overall hypes is really similar to FF XV.

Last edited:

Kagero

Not a big fan of Kinda Funny, but I really liked their discussion about DS. Opinions seem split with good points from both camps. The guys that loved it also seem to genuinely love it and give good reasons to support their thoughts. Super excited to try it myself but mostly curious. Funny enough, the tone of the game reminds me of the movie Arrival, which was my favourite movie of the year for its deliberately slow pace and mood. If this ends up anything like Arrival I’m going to be over the moon.

Neolombax

I'm seeing some people so fixated on a score that a game gets. Its not like every game is measured on an equal measuring scale, is it? No?

I'll be honest, I had no intention of buying DS day 1...but seeing all this purposeful hate, I think I might just get it day 1 just to see what this is all about. I'm intrigued by the concept of this game and the intention behind making this game. Kojima seems to be very earnest in the kind of message he wants to convey through this game. Its very different from some games that I've played in recent memory, either its aimed for profit maximization or to secure sequels. This piques a certain interest of mine to experience this seemingly positive gaming experience that Kojima has crafted.

To me, DS seems like its a walking simulator that is given in-depth systems. The fun is derived from these systems and solving the puzzle of terrain traversal. This reminds me of Katamari Damacy. The concept of that game sounded dull, but it turns out a lot of people enjoyed it. Maybe DS is a game of that kind.

vpance

Down to 84 on Metacritic. If Edge reviewer decided to review the game after the flacks he received then rip the score. This review thread or Death Stranding overall hypes is really similar to FF XV.

Edge will review the game if the score starts dropping into the 70s. Then they can look vindicated.

Virex

Banned
So is there anyone yet on Gaf that has played this and can give some feedback that is not a reviewer or a "games journalist"? I'd like to hear from someone about the game that doesn't have perscription Kojima tinted glasses

rofif

Banned
Death Stranding feels like the game version of The Last Jedi when it comes to review journalism. Just because something is developed by Hideo Kojima doesn't mean that something deserves close to perfect reviews. The game is fine (I guess?) but feels like a 50 hours long fetch quest and walking simulator in my opinion.
I would agree but last jedi did not had any redeeming qualities

Mista

Banned
Famitsu gave the game a full score. Not that it means anything, not to me at least.

imsosleepy

Sure. If u followed Greg then you should know how much of Kojima and Sony fanboy he is.

Game is good but that guy will not trust when it comes to Sony games
Greg is really cautious to burn any bridges with publishers as he wants more work like doing the presentation for EA etc. He wil never speak the truth when its negative.

bigol

So... why are people invested in the idea of this being bad, exactly?

If your reasons are 1 of the following...

1. Kojima is a smug jerk or some variation
2. PS4 exclusive bad (coming to PC in a year)
3. Kojima makes movies (game is 50+ hours long and full of intricate systems)
4. Cherry picked reviews that don't like it while ignoring it getting possibly the most 10/10s of 2019
5. You truly believe you won't enjoy it without having played it

...maybe find something more constructive to do with your life? Critiquing a game you played and didn't like is totally fine, but this concern trolling, hoping for a game to fail, etc. is nauseating

6. I don't like Kojima fanboys being so idiotic that they reject every single criticism. Cult of Kojima personality by his fanboys is ridicolous and needs to stop.

I like Kojima and i am interested in the game, but it's too risky to buy it now, will probably buy it when it's much cheaper.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Famitsu give it 10/10/10/10
Another 10/10, it keeps rolling in and I suspect there are going to be more perfect scores on the 8th of November and thereafter...….

6. I don't like Kojima fanboys being so idiotic that they reject every single criticism. Cult of Kojima personality by his fanboys is ridicolous and needs to stop.

I like Kojima and i am interested in the game, but it's too risky to buy it now, will probably buy it when it's much cheaper.
Too risky? What does this mean? This is not a heist...….It's simply a game that tries something new relative to gameplay, with deeper systems of traversal combined with world building and a greater sense of community...…...You either buy or don't buy, but there's no huge risk involved either way.....

If there's any risk to this industry is that people wont give something new a try and would instead wallow in "let's murder everything in this arena" as the only types of games we want or enjoy...….

rofif

Banned
He’s not wrong. PT wasn’t fun, but it was certainly an experience worth playing

In fact most horror games are completely lacking in fun but make up for it in other ways
That's so much true.
Soulsborne games are not fun. They are MUCH BETTER than that. Engrossing, addicting, interesting, rewarding. The Bloodborne for example - world and story are very interesting. So much so that You go out of Your way to discover everything. Combat makes you want to be perfect at it. Rpg elements are addicting without feeling gaming but in a progression and perfectionism kind of way. These are some of the most gamey games but don't feel like "fun games".

Geki-D

Banned

In fact most horror games are completely lacking in fun but make up for it in other ways
What does "fun" even mean? Is a MP game suddenly bad because you can end up in a shitty match which is probably the least fun you can be having in a game? Also your example of horror games is so on point that it blows open the whole idea of "fun" being needed. No Silent Hill game is "fun", they're tense and nerve racking. Same with plenty of other games, they can be interesting, challenging, enthralling, relaxing... The notion of enjoying isn't interchangeable with the word fun.

Ah, so out of all of those shallow non-reasons, you added one that's even more shallow and silly. Well played.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

What load of hot take soy drinking shit is this?

No one likes doing something that is not fun. No one. Games as a primary function were always, at their heart, meant to be a bit of fun.

Stop talking arse.

bigol

Another 10/10, it keeps rolling in and I suspect there are going to be more perfect scores on the 8th of November and thereafter...….

Too risky? What does this mean? This is not a heist...….It's simply a game that tries something new relative to gameplay, with deeper systems of traversal combined with world building and a greater sense of community...…...You either buy or don't buy, but there's no huge risk involved either way.....

If there's any risk to this industry is that people wont give something new a try and would instead wallow in "let's murder everything in this arena" as the only types of games we want or enjoy...….

Buying full price a game i dislike watching the gameplay videos they released. It's better to buy it when it's cheap.

What does "fun" even mean? Is a MP game suddenly bad because you can end up in a shitty match which is probably the least fun you can be having in a game? Also your example of horror games is so on point that it blows open the whole idea of "fun" being needed. No Silent Hill game is "fun", they're tense and nerve racking. Same with plenty of other games, they can be interesting, challenging, enthralling, relaxing... The notion of enjoying isn't interchangeable with the word fun.

Ah, so out of all of those shallow non-reasons, you added one that's even more shallow and silly. Well played.

Actually the ones being silly are Kojima fanboys telling how everyone moving criticism to the game doesn't understand "art" and calling Kojima Godjima unironically.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Buying full price a game i dislike watching the gameplay videos they released. It's better to buy it when it's cheap.
And that's fine, but it's no big risk eitherway…...It's just a hobby you enjoy, where you expend some disposable cash or not for the thrill of playing games...

Geki-D

Banned
Actually the ones being silly are Kojima fanboys telling how everyone moving criticism to the game doesn't understand "art" and calling Kojima Godjima unironically.
This is for the most part in your head, though. Most of the arguments in favor of the game are that most reviews are actually good and that this vague notion of "fun" is different to each person and not the main focus of many games, including a whole load people generally love.

You're literally hating on a game to spite some "fanboys". This isn't normal, logical behaviour.

KiNeMz

Banned
Is anyone onto the 4 packages that have been sent out. One sent to Alanah. 1 to jqckseptic eye. And another 2 to people I don't know. Has any others rec iced th se packages?

GermanZepp

Video Games are entertainment. For me, a must in a entertainment product is that it has to be engaging and catchy and from there anything more.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ethomaz

Banned
Revisionist history in the thread? lol
Haters are hating since first page without know how the game is or better without play it just because one reviewer said that he didn't like the game ignoring the others 85% of the reviews that did like the game.

But hey it is in Kojima fanboys heads lol

Last edited:

Eiknarf

what happens if we wait a really long time to play this game and nobody is on the server? Will there be no other players to help build and leave ladders and structures for us?

Terenty

The backwards thinking of some people here and on the internet as a whole regarding this game is quite amazing. Once in a moon a game comes out that tries to do something different and unique and you are going out of your way to hate on it? Just why?

Would you rather developers churn out the same uncharted, cod, asscreed etc clones year after year than do something unique?

Could you explain this thinking please?

Top Bottom