• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democrats Are Desperate for Bernie Sanders' Email List

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DNC should see why Bernie was so successful and try emulate that formular instead of trying to force themselves upon his followers.

The age of old politics is over.

Nah Bernie just should hand it over to the very same incompetent that tanked Hillary campaign and the SAME PEOPLE that plotted a smear campaign against him.

No shit. If you're not winning, no progressive policies have a shot. How is this hard? Tell me how progressive policies, civil rights issues, etc., are addressed when you're not in office?

GOP understands that and thus falls in line and thus dominates. Now here we are.

Uh. Yeah, I don't really care how I beat Trump at this point, I want to win so we can pass progressive legislation and get things done and save our country from autocracy.

These. The republicans are about to undo eight years of progress and make this country a worse place to live in. We need to do everything possible to mitigate the damage.

Trump and his pimp Steve Bannon are a dnager to the rights of many people in this country.

I held my nose and donated like $20 to John Kerry back in the day, and these jokers dropped at least $20 worth of junk mail on me over the next few years.

Nothing about this presidency is appealing to progressives, but simply getting Bernie's email list isn't really going to change anything on its own. The people who signed up for Bernie's mailing list who aren't currently signed up for the DNC's mailing list aren't going to magically get involved with the DNC when they start getting emails from them. Faith in the Democratic party establishment is at rock bottom with people further left than the party platform. It's going to take a lot of work to win people over, and that should probably start with making an earnest effort to 1. show any signs of life fighting against the GOP (Schumer has made it pretty clear this is not in the playbook yet) and 2. vocally outlining plans to address issues important to the far left, particularly labor and social issues.

The DNC has done a pretty woeful job of riding any sort of social issue waves recently. They were tepid at best getting on board with BLM. The ACLU made far more noise about the immigration ban than any official party response. They approved of The Women's March from the sidelines, but that's about it. They let the GOP walk all over them during the cabinet appointment process, purposefully avoiding being seen as "obstructionist" and then letting the fight they viewed as the most important to win, Sessions, slip through their fingers, with only Warren daring to really step up to the plate and show any signs of life.

The left is getting away from the DNC, and they just don't seem to know what to do about it. Granted, it may seem oddly petty for Sanders to not hand the list over given that it's a fairly common gesture, but I don't think it'd really change much. If the party wants the attention of those people, they need to start doing something to engage them in the first place. It's all well and good to say "but there's a monster in the White House and we all need to do our part!" but the DNC itself doesn't exactly seem to be taking much action in this regard. Until the DNC proves they can fight, the disenfranchised will be fighting without them.
How exactly were Democrats supposed to stop Sessions when they do not have a majority in the Senate?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
And I'm sure you have the magical key to reversing the RNC domination that is now over this country at every level of government - local, state, and federal.
ive basically moved on from the Democratic Party. The leadership and way too many members still talk about doing the same things that led to a complete blowout.

An example.. many people are calling for obstructing just for the sake of obstructing "because the Republicans did it!" i get it. i want blood too. However you have to take a look at the bigger picture and see who is turned off by such things.. meaning the 50% of the electorate that is disgusted with all politics and didnt even bother to show up. Congress has shit tier approval ratings for a reason and copying GOP tactics is not going to work out well for those that do. People jumped all over Sanders for even suggesting that he would work with Trump if he put forth something good for the nation. Theres going to be more than enough things to fight against Trump without resorting to GOP congressional obstructionism.

royalan

The thing about this controversy over Bernie's email list is that it highlights the EXACT thing about Bernie Sanders that makes some Democrats extremely dislike him. He's a lone wolf, good AND bad.

For all the talk about how Democrats should work with Bernie, that is a two-way motherfucking street. And what does Bernie do to work with Democrats? This shit over his email list should not be a thing. Bernie caucuses with Democrats. He goes on retreats with Democrats. Until his democratic primary run he accepted DSCC and Democrat PAC money for HIS Senate races. I mean, FUCK, before Bernie even had an email list worth dangling like a carrot on a stick he built his campaign on the DNC voter database. This should not be a fucking thing, and I will not budge on that. You used DNC resources when it suited you, Bernie.

But know why it is a thing?

Because, true to form, Bernie Sanders either wants to control the party or retain the right to attack it from his self-erected pedestal. But let's dispel the notion that Bernie Sanders actually wants to work with the party. That would require compromise. That would require occasionally not having the spotlight. Can't have that. His way or the highway. Give me what I want, fuck you, or I'll go down kicking and screaming. He'd rather dangle his email list, and attack Dems like Perez and Biden and still throw petty potshots at Hillary.

The man is a hypocrite.

"Helped."

Read better.

No need to be an ass.

I saw the helped. I don't change my opinion. To put any real blame on the DNC for "helping" Trump is asinine. He was repudiated at every opportunity and logical policies existed to address many issues.

However, I guess since she didn't have a cool slogan, people couldn't be arsed to support that.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm being harsh, but the bottom line remains that he has the power to do something easy and helpful and is not only refusing to, but had failed to provide an even remotely reasonable motivation for his refusal.

Privacy. I'm sure there is a portion of people on that list who do not want their emails given out to a party they did not expressly give permission to have them.

wildfire

Banned
The same reason anyone participates in democracy. Because they believe in something? Because they are self-interested?

They can do the bare minimum by voting. If you want their time and money you actually have to do something that interests them. If they are only voting out of fear they will vote against Donald easily enough.

Who said it's fealty? It's a means (donating money) to accomplishing an end (electing politicians, getting policies passed, whatever). Literally nothing more than that.

I'm being cheeky here because you're being very presumptive that because an enemy inspires fear means someone should help you with your own problems. The enemy of your enemy isn't automatically your friend.

It accomplishes the same end as voting, it's just a different means.

No. Voting is voting. There were Republicans who claimed they advocated for Clinton but they wouldn't vote for her or Trump. If you can't be bothered to add your vote to a tally you're not someone who is helping us win control when it counts.

Getting people to invest time and money into you is always more involved than voting and that investment is a very big difference.

Horseshoes and handgrenades.[/QUOTE]

jtb

Banned
Nothing about this presidency is appealing to progressives, but simply getting Bernie's email list isn't really going to change anything on its own. The people who signed up for Bernie's mailing list who aren't currently signed up for the DNC's mailing list aren't going to magically get involved with the DNC when they start getting emails from them. Faith in the Democratic party establishment is at rock bottom with people further left than the party platform. It's going to take a lot of work to win people over, and that should probably start with making an earnest effort to 1. show any signs of life fighting against the GOP (Schumer has made it pretty clear this is not in the playbook yet) and 2. vocally outlining plans to address issues important to the far left, particularly labor and social issues.

The DNC has done a pretty woeful job of riding any sort of social issue waves recently. They were tepid at best getting on board with BLM. The ACLU made far more noise about the immigration ban than any official party response. They approved of The Women's March from the sidelines, but that's about it. They let the GOP walk all over them during the cabinet appointment process, purposefully avoiding being seen as "obstructionist" and then letting the fight they viewed as the most important to win, Sessions, slip through their fingers, with only Warren daring to really step up to the plate and show any signs of life.

The left is getting away from the DNC, and they just don't seem to know what to do about it. Granted, it may seem oddly petty for Sanders to not hand the list over given that it's a fairly common gesture, but I don't think it'd really change much. If the party wants the attention of those people, they need to start doing something to engage them in the first place. It's all well and good to say "but there's a monster in the White House and we all need to do our part!" but the DNC itself doesn't exactly seem to be taking much action in this regard. Until the DNC proves they can fight, the disenfranchised will be fighting without them.

Schumer is getting more shit than he deserves. At the end of the day, they haven't had the power to stop Trump through legistlative means. They have been slow to tap into the power of activism, but they're slowly getting there.

Now, I will be more than happy to give Democrats shit if they don't fillibuster Gorsuch. That is waving the white flag. Not a single Democrat, not even Manchin, should vote for Gorsuch. That is a purity test I am more than willing to hold every single member of the party to.

But up until this point... they have no power. And that's as much the fault of the DNC who came up with a shitty strategy (some blame) as it is those who.... [whisper it] stayed home or voted third party!

They can do the bare minimum by voting. If you want their time and money you actually have to do something that interests them. If they are only voting out of fear they will vote against Donald easily enough.

I'm being cheeky here because you're being very presumptive that because an enemy inspires fear means someone should help you with your own problems. The enemy of your enemy isn't automatically your friend.

No. Voting is voting. There were Republicans who claimed they advocated for Clinton but they wouldn't vote for her or Trump. If you can't be bothered to add your vote to a tally you're not someone who is helping us win control when it counts.

Getting people to invest time and money into you is always more involved than voting and that investment is a very big difference.

Horseshoes and handgrenades.
[/QUOTE]

Look, for me, at the end of the day, it's about policies, not people. I don't really give a shit who my congresspeople are, as long as they enact good policies and aren't corrupt/terrible people/whatever. I care about politics because I believe that the policies I support will help people. I don't know about the enemy of my enemy, but I do know my enemy will oppose every policy I support. I don't understand why this is such a tortured moral decision for people.

I'm way to the left of the Democratic party. So what am I going to do? Vote for Jill fucking Stein??

Gruco

Banned
Democrats sure do love browbeating people left of the aisle into doing what they want. The rhetoric in this thread is pretty insulting, tbh.

"Don't you want to beat Trump? Shut up and do as I say!"
"If we lose its because you didn't get with the program!"
"This is about you or me, it's about the country!"

I'd almost appreciate if you guys just got off the moral high horse and just admitted you don't care how you beat Trump and the GOP, you just want to win. And you'll intimidate and shame and gaslight as much as it takes to do it.
Is there a good reason to hold back the list? Who does it help?

And as everyone said, yeah, if you care about the consequences for people's lives, then FUCK YES beating Trump is what actually matters. I don't understand how that can be controversial, Jesus Christ.

What's more important to you, stopping an malicious and incompetent government, or sitting in the corner admiring the sanctity of an email list?

None of this is gaslighting, what are you even fighting against?

guek

Banned
ITT: people who conviently forget that Bernie's campaign accessed Clinton voter data during the campaign
What. Josh Uretsky stumbled on a glitch and explored the extent of the glitch for a little under 2 hours before the breach was reported. Urersky was subsequently fired within 48hrs of discovering what he did.

I mean, do you also routinely point out that Clinton was given a debate question in advance and never reported it?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
And everyone in the beginning, including the GOP, assumed he'd have no shot and was a joke. Which was a more than reasonable estimation and a solid assumption.

People underestimated how much people liked "telling it like it is" and shitting on minorities, though. Add in the GOP running 30 candidates, Trump was able to use the media to rise up and above everyone towards the end.

Not everyone, and if they did, then that highlights one aspect of their incompetence.

CHC

Thank you for putting this so well, I am frankly tired of rebutting the constant "Clinton won the primary fair and square," "so you don't care if Trump wins again?" and "this is infighting, it's what the RNC wants!" arguments.

The DNC has been extremely slow, tepid, and frankly unengaging as the Republican party continually ramps up it's strategies and base-riling. Obviously, in most cases, I will vote for a Democratic candidate if the alternative represents the current leanings of the Republican party, but at the same time I'm not going to stand out in the cold at a rally or do free advertising for another Clinton-like candidate.

Arttemis

The thing about this controversy over Bernie's email list is that it highlights the EXACT thing about Bernie Sanders that makes some Democrats extremely dislike him. He's a lone wolf, good AND bad.

For all the talk about how Democrats should work with Bernie, that is a two-way motherfucking street. And what does Bernie do to work with Democrats? This shit over his email list should not be a thing. Bernie caucuses with Democrats. He goes on retreats with Democrats. Until his democratic primary run he accepted DSCC and Democrat PAC money for HIS Senate races. I mean, FUCK, before Bernie even had an email list worth dangling like a carrot on a stick he built his campaign on the DNC voter database. This should not be a fucking thing, and I will not budge on that. You used DNC resources when it suited you, Bernie.

But know why it is a thing?

Because, true to form, Bernie Sanders either wants to control the party or retain the right to attack it from his self-erected pedestal. But let's dispel the notion that Bernie Sanders actually wants to work with the party. That would require compromise. That would require occasionally not having the spotlight. Can't have that. His way or the highway. Give me what I want, fuck you, or I'll go down kicking and screaming. He'd rather dangle his email list, and attack Dems like Perez and Biden and still throw petty potshots at Hillary.

The man is a hypocrite.
He is the only member of the party that mobilized the average person, the politically unmotivated, to contribute to a cause. The DNC didn't. He started a revolution, the DNC didn't.

jtb

Banned
This isn't "opposing the Democrats," it's hoping they'll dodge an obvious misstep.

Like anything, this can be handled well or it can be handled poorly. But let's at least put the option on the fucking table! This is an emergency! I want every option available.

I'd be pretty desperate for a list of people naive enough to keep donating money up to June of 2016, when Sanders' campaign was dead af by March at the latest.

Nah Bernie just should hand it over to the very same incompetent that tanked Hillary campaign and the SAME PEOPLE that plotted a smear campaign against him.
Welcome to primaries? That's how it works. You're campaigning against the opponent. Bad shit is going to be brought up. Bad things will be done. The critical thing, is that when the winner is declared, the other does whatever necessary to ensure the party and platform is elected.

ive basically moved on from the Democratic Party. The leadership and way too many members still talk about doing the same things that led to a complete blowout.

An example.. many people are calling for obstructing just for the sake of obstructing "because the Republicans did it!" i get it. i want blood too. However you have to take a look at the bigger picture and see who is turned off by such things.. meaning the 50% of the electorate that is disgusted with all politics and didnt even bother to show up. Congress has shit tier approval ratings for a reason and copying GOP tactics is not going to work out well for those that do. People jumped all over Sanders for even suggesting that he would work with Trump if he put forth something good for the nation. Theres going to be more than enough things to fight against Trump without resorting to GOP congressional obstructionism.
Well at this rate, Trump clearly does not seem to be interested in advancing policies that benefit anyone other than straight white males. But you can keep holding out hope.

He's a danger, has no respect for governance, and surrounds himself with white supremacists. Excuse me for not trusting a goddamn thing he touches.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
No need to be an ass.

I saw the helped. I don't change my opinion. To put any real blame on the DNC for "helping" Trump is asinine. He was repudiated at every opportunity and logical policies existed to address many issues.

However, I guess since she didn't have a cool slogan, people couldn't be arsed to support that.

Even though they literally did help him?

On one hand, lol that the DNC thinks a mailing list is going to make a big impact. On the other hand, just give them the damn list Bernie.

Gruco

Banned
Privacy. I'm sure there is a portion of people on that list who do not want their emails given out to a party they did not expressly give permission to have them.
You literally just bragged on him raising more money for other candidates than anyone else last year, and I'm pretty sure nobody signed an "except for Tulsi Gabbard and Tim Casanova" waiver with their $27 donation.

As others have said, it's not just about blasting emails (though that does matter).

What. Josh Uretsky stumbled on a glitch and explored the extent of the glitch for a little under 2 hours before the breach was reported. Urersky was subsequently fired within 48hrs of discovering what he did.

I mean, do you also routinely point out that Clinton was given a debate question in advance and never reported it?

The Bernie campaign did way more than "explore" the extent of the glitch. They accessed valuable voter data from the Clinton campaign instead of reporting the glitch immediately.

You're comparing that to Hillary getting a debate question about water in Flint ahead of a debate in Flint? They aren't even close to being the same.

jtb

Banned
You're being insanely condescending. Almost like you have a bone to pick with the left wing of your own party.

Just the moving goal posts.

I'm way to the left of the party. I'm also a pragmatist. The need for doe eyed idealism is exactly why Democrats lose elections. Republicans fall in line because they believe in policies, not politicians. I support policies because I genuinely believe that they will help people and make their lives better.

As long as they're not horrible people, I don't give a shit who gets those policies enacted because I want those policies enacted and I want people's lives to be better.

And constantly framing this as "do you want to stop Trump or not?" is arguing in terribly bad faith. Everything I'm saying is specifically because I want -- need -- the DNC to rebuild in an effective manner that brings working class trust back so we can defeat Trump or whatever pandering demagogue comes next.

There are plenty of pieces to the puzzle, white working class included. Fwiw, I'm very skeptical of the endless working class fetishism.

There are 15+ house districts that voted Clinton but elected a GOP rep. Those are easy pickings to build a foundation to flip the house.

We don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. We need to redouble our efforts and dig in even further.

I mean the first time in Senate history a Vice President had to use a tiebreaker to confirm his party's cabinet nominee. And that's noting that only 9 cabinet nominees have been rejected in the hhstory of the country (albeit, others have pulled out before a vote).

There's nothing Democrats could do to stop Sessions. There's nothing Democrats can do to stop Gorsuch. That doesn't mean they shouldn't fight, but expecting results in the face of the current math of the Senate is problematic.

I do agree that the DNC currently does not know how to channel the energy from the past month. That's a huge problem. There is no leader for the Democrats, and even with a DNC chair we won't have one. This might be a problem that persists for the next year or so and it frightens me.

Deepwater

You're being insanely condescending. Almost like you have a bone to pick with the left wing of your own party.

The Democrats™ can't fathom that using the same rhetoric going into the election isn't going to convince people to come back out for 2018, hell, even 2020. As much as the yell and scream and stomp their feet.

Cause who's even heard of the term introspection?

royalan

He is the only member of the party that mobilized the average person, the politically unmotivated, to contribute to a cause. The DNC didn't. He started a revolution, the DNC didn't.

This is a Paris Hilton flat ass lie.

Hillary got 4 million more votes than Bernie. Bernie didn't even beat TRUMP'S primary vote count.

The young person is not the average person. Plenty of average people voted for Hillary. I know because I played a role in signing many of them up.

But let's not relitigate the primary.

If Bernie gave a shit about the Democratic party, this would not be a thing. But it is. And that's fine. Bernie is an Independent. He doesn't have to hold any allegiance to the party. But if that's the case it shouldn't be a surprise to anybody that he isn't always welcomed with open arms. Because the fact of the matter is, when it comes to the party, to the DNC, Bernie is an opportunist. Always has been. Always will be.

Arol

Rofl @ this thread and that article.

It's looking like 8 years of Trump. Take that as you will.

I'm personally going to focus on local/county/state policies.

Dude Abides

Banned
Weird to see the Sanders lady being so smug in those quotes about "winning the Tour de France" It's like they don't realize they lost.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Well at this rate, Trump clearly does not seem to be interested in advancing policies that benefit anyone other than straight white males. But you can keep holding out hope.

He's a danger, has no respect for governance, and surrounds himself with white supremacists. Excuse me for not trusting a goddamn thing he touches.

We will probably be able to count on one hand the policies Trumps regime will push forward that will be good for the country but when you say "I will not support anything even if its good" it turns off people who arent politically active. Maybe im wrong but thats how it appears to me.

This is a Paris Hilton flat ass lie.

Hillary got 4 million more votes than Bernie. Bernie didn't even beat TRUMP'S primary vote count.

The young person is not the average person. Plenty of average people voted for Hillary. I know because I played a role in signing many of them up.

But let's not relitigate the primary.
i think they were talking about political contributions which afaik is correct in stating that Sanders had greater numbers of small dollar donations and a large portion of those who havent donated politically before.

105b690.jpg

DNC sounds like Jack Lemmon sniffing around for the Glengarry leads.

This is what the DNC should be focusing on.

Again, the problem is that this is useless in an off-presidential year.

I'm 2 weeks, Stephanie Hansen is up for Bethany Hall-Long's Delaware senate seat. This race determines whether Democrats hold on to the DE Senate. If we lose, we'd lose one of the 6 trifectas we have left. Having an email list in this case would be helpful for people who live in DE SD10.

jtb

Banned
Seriously, what does Bernie brings to the table that the Democratic party currently lacks?

Let's make it something policy-based. Don't say charisma. (Never hurts, though. See: Obama)

What is this magic ingredient? Why don't we just name it so we can finally build this winning strategy? Because I really really want to win and get progressive policies in place.

Gruco

Banned
Reminder: Bernie developed his donor base in a presidential year, which has a distinctly powerful media and public focus. The DNC is doing the work of building state parties and looking ahead at the less centralized mid terms.

Saying "just do what Bernie did" is silly and dismissive of the nature of the challenges ahead for the DNC. It assumes a level of comparability between these presidential / nonpresidential campaigns which simply does not exist.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You literally just bragged on him raising more money for other candidates than anyone else last year, and I'm pretty sure nobody signed an "except for Tulsi Gabbard and Tim Casanova" waiver with their $27 donation.

As others have said, it's not just about blasting emails (though that does matter).

Asking supporters to donate to a third party is not the same as handing their personal info over to that third party's fundraising apparatus.

Ms.Galaxy

Seriously, what does Bernie brings to the table that the Democratic party currently lacks?

Let's make it something policy-based. Don't say charisma. (Never hurts, though. See: Obama)

What is this magic ingredient? Why don't we just name it so we can finally build this winning strategy? Because I really really want to win and get progressive policies in place.

Protectionism, a small bit of nationalism, and "free" healthcare and college.

Honestly? Nothing to note in my mind. Protectionism is not going to work well in a globalized society, nationlism is meh, and universal healthcare and more access to colleges is a tough sell when you're going to have to say taxes need to go up even just a little.

This is such bullshit. Bernie got buried in the primary, period. He maintained the illusion of progress on the back of caucuses, by far the most undemocratic election system we still use. I fucking hate this idea that apparently the people who voted for HIllary don't seem to count to you people.

Arttemis

Wait so is he part of the party or not?

Also what Revolution?
He's a standout within the party who resorted to his own means of campaigning. He was denied huge opportunities from the heads within his own party during the primaries. It's not a flowery relationship after last year, but the party weeks be insane or absolutely stupid to ignore his influence. Despite losing, the fact the he was able to make a stand against Hillary's institutionally funded campaign is a remarkable feat add testament to his sway. That's the revolution, as he calls it, and it's a fitting title for convincing so many people to donate to politics for the first time and become active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom