• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Announced

TreIII

I like how the whole "Potentials" things that are activated through certain conditions sounds like Valkyria's thing adopted to a fighter.

Liking how the game is shaping up so far!

Articalys

I love some of the alternate color schemes for the characters. This one for Kirino is neat:
6W3l63w.jpg
Also this Mikoto/Touma combo:

Stark

Banned
Wow, that's crazy good for just an assist. There must be a catch lol. Like limited uses, or heavy meter depletion.

I know right? Stupid.

I didn't really pay attention to the support gauge recharges, but is his the slowest or something? or I just don't remember.

Him and Shizzy would make a great team.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
All the supports seem to take around 5 seconds to recharge and they take longer to recharge if the support character is hit.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Was just watching the stream and it looks not too bad. Will be looking forward to seeing what the full roster will be.

Earlier someone was kicking everyone else off using Kirino lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So for the People like me who didn't know there was a stream, and are wondering where all these impressions came from... Youtube Vid Links!

Shizuo VS Kuroyukihime
Asuna VS Kuroyukihime
Shana VS Kirino
Misaka VS Asuna 1
Misaka VS Asuna 2

I have no problem with the idea that this sounds so much like UNIB x Aquapazza. That game had some fantastic assist too:) Really gave it's gameplay unique identity.

I remember hearing some people say that the sound effects were similar to their previous games, so looks like this confirms why people heard them.

*raises hand* I'm glad to see French Bread working with others :) I'm impressed they're able to work on something like this, while still working on UNIB too. They mentioned on a stream a while back that they had upcoming projects they just COULDN'T talk about at that time, but soon... guess we're finally seeing one of those!

So for the People like me who didn't know there was a stream, and are wondering where all these impressions came from... Youtube Vid Links!

Shizuo VS Kuroyukihime
Asuna VS Kuroyukihime
Shana VS Kirino
Misaka VS Asuna 1
Misaka VS Asuna 2

I have no problem with the idea that this sounds so much like UNIB x Aquapazza. That game had some fantastic assist too:) Really gave it's gameplay unique identity.

I'm just getting more and more excited for this game with every video I watch.

Hurry up and release please so I can main Kuroyukihime!

Rhapsody

Banned
I didn't really pay attention to the support gauge recharges, but is his the slowest or something? or I just don't remember.

Him and Shizzy would make a great team.
Been hearing Silver Crow and Kuroneko have the longest recharge times, but I'm not sure.

A lot of people are liking Silver Crow's assist apparently because of how good it is.
So Touma's a vastly upgraded Maya Shield?

... Now this makes me depressed on how Maya Shield turned out.

TreIII

*raises hand* I'm glad to see French Bread working with others :) I'm impressed they're able to work on something like this, while still working on UNIB too. They mentioned on a stream a while back that they had upcoming projects they just COULDN'T talk about at that time, but soon... guess we're finally seeing one of those!

Indeed!

The only bad thing is that this would also explain why UNIB Exe Late was a bit underwhelming as far as upgrades are concerned. Chaos and Akatsuki (from Akatsuki BLITZKAMPF) were barely finished in time for the upgrade, and they had to get help for the latter. Obviously, because they were working on Fighting Climax at the same time.

Since FB isn't obviously as big as the likes of even ASW, I'm hoping that won't be indicative of what happens when they have to split dev time down the middle.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm just getting more and more excited for this game with every video I watch.

Hurry up and release please so I can main Kuroyukihime!

Aye, I hadn't watched before posting those... but now I'm quite hyped and wanting to play, lol.

Watching Misaka go crazy with lightning arcs, stomps, and summoning junk to toss out mid-air was pretty cool, And Kuroyukihime looked like a perfect character for UNIB players to shift to this game with, with all those summon-like characters. And Shizuo looks perfect for this game, slinging around sign post and instant-large-appliances like it's a normal expectation...

Will always love games like this, just too cool! :)

Indeed!

The only bad thing is that this would also explain why UNIB Exe Late was a bit underwhelming as far as upgrades are concerned. Chaos and Akatsuki (from Akatsuki BLITZKAMPF) were barely finished in time for the upgrade, and they had to get help for the latter. Obviously, because they were working on Fighting Climax at the same time.

Since FB isn't obviously as big as the likes of even ASW, I'm hoping that won't be indicative of what happens when they have to split dev time down the middle.

Maybe this is why it's taking so long to bring UNIB to consoles? I can understand it, though; people want lots of bonus features for ports, and those always take a lot of money and resources,

Crossover / Big license games always basically PRINT money to some degree, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is helping them get their more personal project home... at which point Exe Late can be fully fleshed out, and then some.

Stark

Banned
If anyone has a competent level of Japanese, they explain several decisions in the game:
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/732/732139/index-2.html

For one from Rias at AS:
"Kamijou Touma is a popular character, but it's hard to make him a playable character, as he is a character who can only bounce back (or reject) attacks. He is a prime example of how you can still include the character in the game, but having him as a support."

Shizuo VS Kuroyukihime
Asuna VS Kuroyukihime
Shana VS Kirino
Misaka VS Asuna 1
Misaka VS Asuna 2

The sprite animation isn't as smooth as I'd like, but I'm hoping that's just cos it's Youtube. Am pleased that Shana bursts by shouting her catchphrase.

kewlmyc

If anyone has a competent level of Japanese, they explain several decisions in the game:
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/732/732139/index-2.html

For one from Rias at AS:
"Kamijou Touma is a popular character, but it's hard to make him a playable character, as he is a character who can only bounce back (or reject) attacks. He is a prime example of how you can still include the character in the game, but having him as a support."

Do they explain why they went with Asuna instead of Kirito? I'm not a fan of SAO, but this just seems odd considering he's the main character and is the focus of all the visual novels. Same with Taku from Accel World.

Do they explain why they went with Asuna instead of Kirito? I'm not a fan of SAO, but this just seems odd considering he's the main character and is the focus of all the visual novels. Same with Taku from Accel World.

Their answer was something like 'we tried to go with the protagonist and sidekick for most series, but we also discussed with Dengeki and they'd suggest popular characters'.

kaioshade

The sprite animation isn't as smooth as I'd like, but I'm hoping that's just cos it's Youtube. Am pleased that Shana bursts by shouting her catchphrase.

I definitely noticed the slightly stiff animation. Its like some attacks definitely have more frames than others which makes it pretty jarring. regardless, im liking what has been shown so far.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm still thinking Kirito is for later. Wouldn't make sense to leave him out or even have Leafa as assist. My guess is that they're saving him or not done with him. I'm expecting him to cycle through his characters or something. He's definitely popular too.

And I'm guessing you mean Haruyuki instead of Taku, but KYH is just more popular, stronger, and has a better move set pool.

Edit: of course, this is assuming if they allow more than one rep for some series. So I could end up wrong

Stark

Banned

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm requesting for a tl, lol.

And yeah, Kuroyukihime is a lot more varied in terms of her moveset. Cyan Pile/Silver Crow are pretty static.

Rhapsody

Banned
Did Sinon appear in the anime?
Nope. But I'm hoping it'll be like how Jump Superstars or even Naruto games didn't stick to characters or forms currently on the anime.

I really want this to be dedicated for the readers, but I'm not sure how much they're going to because of spoilers. I wonder if this will extend to move sets too.

Stark

Banned
Nope. But I'm hoping it'll be like how Jump Superstars or even Naruto games didn't stick to characters or forms currently on the anime.

I really want this to be dedicated for the readers, but I'm not sure how much they're going to because of spoilers. I wonder if this will extend to move sets too.

That's true. This isn't an anime fighter, it's specifically Dengeki Bunko.

I wonder how big the roster will be. They've still got quite some time till that supposed Spring window.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Yeah, some of it lacks a bit in personality too (occasional stiff transitions, boring walk cycles), but they always seem to try their best when it counts, and It's all native HD spritework too.

They spend a lot of time on little things to try to make up for it though (like nice facial animations, and lots of animating little tiny details), so parts of it should be more stunning in person. I believe this is one of the things they improved on in UNIB Exe Late as well.

That's true. This isn't an anime fighter, it's specifically Dengeki Bunko.

I wonder how big the roster will be. They've still got quite some time till that supposed Spring window.

This. The designs aren't even from their respected animes. Which I love. LN Misaka is better than anime Misaka

TreIII

Maybe this is why it's taking so long to bring UNIB to consoles? I can understand it, though; people want lots of bonus features for ports, and those always take a lot of money and resources,

Crossover / Big license games always basically PRINT money to some degree, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is helping them get their more personal project home... at which point Exe Late can be fully fleshed out, and then some.

Last I heard, the majority of FB's concerns regarding a console port for UNIB were a) finding a publisher to help them with those details and b) console extras like netplay, and etc.

I'd like to think this would be a sign that SEGA would be helping them with both of those details for UNIB PS3, especially since FB is now providing them with two games for their struggling RingEdge/All-net platform, and Fighting Climax itself could easily be the closest the RE2 has to being a nice "killer app".

Solune

Indeed!

What about UNIEL are you disatisfied with in terms of "upgrades"? Additional characters or? As far as I'm concerned the game went from being absolutely silly but want to play to most need to play fighting game with their balance and system changes.

DFC's animation has been subpar which is uncharacteristic of Furapan. Although it's clear they are working on a tight schedule and it's rushed considering the trailer had UNiB stock sound effects and the loketest still uses some.

TreIII

What about UNIEL are you disatisfied with in terms of "upgrades"? Additional characters or? As far as I'm concerned the game went from being absolutely silly but want to play to most need to play fighting game with their balance and system changes.

DFC's animation has been subpar which is uncharacteristic of Furapan. Although it's clear they are working on a tight schedule and it's rushed considering the trailer had UNiB stock sound effects and the loketest still uses some.

Largely characters. Akatsuki is nice, but there still were a number of characters from the artbooks/mooks/previous streams that I was hoping to get in first (re: Erica or Nanase, for example), such that it was a bit of a letdown that they didn't get in. I can only hope that maybe, just maybe, they'll be saved for the console release, even though I doubt it.

Perhaps underwhelming is too strong, as UNIB is still something I would preorder with the quickness as soon as it's put up for grabs, as I do want to play it. But even so...I wanted those characters so badly!

Kumubou

Last I heard, the majority of FB's concerns regarding a console port for UNIB were a) finding a publisher to help them with those details and b) console extras like netplay, and etc.

I'd like to think this would be a sign that SEGA would be helping them with both of those details for UNIB PS3, especially since FB is now providing them with two games for their struggling RingEdge/All-net platform, and Fighting Climax itself could easily be the closest the RE2 has to being a nice "killer app".
I'm pretty sure GGXrd is going to be the killer app Sega has been looking for for all.net/RingEdge2.

Am I the only one who gets the feeling that French Bread is overextended? Between the arcade update for UNIB, the console version, and the arcade/console versions of DBFC, it seems like they have more work than they can handle. I guess I'm thinking about this after reading the thread about Vanillaware having the same issue. In some ways, they could probably use more help. Hopefully they get SOMEONE to help them with the netcode -- MBAACC's netcode is barely playable in Japan as it is.

Stark

Banned
Since they seem to have included some loketest footage, they should have included Touma's Imagine Breaker. Would've been perfect for showing how good assist's can be. :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, yeah, Nico version version is much more faster & fluid. & strange Kuroyukihime's specials aren't shown off compared to everyone else.

Conan-san

So you're telling me I can beat the stupid out of Kirino with the dood who chucks signs in Durarara?!

Tell you what, if Sega gets this out internationally they can not translate all the MegaTen and PSO they want!

So you're telling me I can beat the stupid out of Kirino with the dood who chucks signs in Durarara?!

Tell you what, if Sega gets this out internationally they can not translate all the MegaTen and PSO they want!

No chance. Sorry :(

At least I think, Licensing etc..

Top Bottom