• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Designated Survivor |OT| President Bauer Power Hour

YourMaster

I enjoyed this show, but the finale was a bit of a letdown. Like people mentioned it was a bit too fake. The bit in the pentagon was completely unbelievable, even pretending that blocking keycard access isn't possible, just letting the attacker walk and drive out when it is so obvious the entire building is under attack is silly.
The 'frame attempt' with the bomb van was just silly all around as well. It would have been better even to just leave her trapped on the ship.

And not the biggest culprit was that horrible, horrible speech at the end: Quickly mention the name of the billionaire behind the attacks, than just continue talking about how great the US is. Yeah yeah, we know, we can see that on the news every day. Perhaps it would have been nice to mention some of the details, like how the vice-president and national security adviser were in on the terrorist plot, the ultimate success in bringing out that would-be presidential assassin, or your efforts into finding that billionaire.

Tamanon

Banned
The Pentagon thing was kinda unbelievable because they knew who he was impersonating. It's a key card. They didn't have to find him immediately, they could track the keycard, or block it.

Otherwise, looking forward to next season.

Finished it last night. Eh, the first half was definitely stronger than the second half of the season. The show got progressively dumber imo, and some unnecessary dramatic twists lessened my opinion of it because of how dumb they were. I'm not entirely turned off, but if I'll give the second season one or two episodes to show a marked improvement before I drop it.

Geist-

The show is okay, definitely stronger in the first half, but they really make everyone look incompetent in this show. I mean, Pentagon security knew that guy was in the building and he still walked off with all of our most closely guarded secrets. Smfh.

WillyFive

That was the season finale? It didn't feel like one while watching it, but then again considering what happened in it, it feels like a complete arc since the 1st episode. It lacked dramatic tension and flair however.

Renpatsu

I feel compelled to reiterate that the worst aspects of this show are definitely the conspiracy angle. So little do they care to explain the motives and machinations behind the clandestine antagonists of the entire season that whenever a character is close to being captured or revealing the truth they're uniformly killed so as to avoid having to actually write some dialogue that might explain their actions. Peter MacLeish, Brooke Mathison, Nestor Lozano - All unceremoniously killed by narrative convenience and made even more egregious because their deaths lack significant ramifications beyond maintaining the status quo of withholding vital information from the main cast.

The closest we ever get to an explanation for anything is the book, Pax Americana and it's slogan "No Victory Without Sacrifice", which while catchy is hardly compelling motivation to hang an entire season's worth of antagonism and life threatening stakes on to.

The closest we ever get to an explanation for anything is the book, Pax Americana and it's slogan "No Victory Without Sacrifice", which while catchy is hardly compelling motivation to hang an entire season's worth of antagonism and life threatening stakes on to.

Kirkman said during his speech that the group wanted to overthrow the government because they believed that the country has been in decline since its "glory years" of WW2 and launching men to the moon.

Whether that was the original intent of the writers, I don't know, but it seemed like an obvious dig at Trump's "make America great again" and the alt-right. Notice also that in the arrests montage everyone was white, and mostly rural-looking. My guess is some of this season had rewrites to account for the election of Trump and the alt-right.

Theorry

Lol i am searching for this weeks episode. To find out the season is over. Last weeks episode was the finale for some reason. Lmao.

HardRojo

Just finished the 3 episodes I had left, wasn't expecting such a Season Finale... I thought there'd be one more episode lol. I did notice though that they tend to let some things just "happen" to keep the story going. Lozano vs Wells: He could've gone for her gun as soon as he threw her to the ground, yet kept punching her and ultimately lost the fight stupidly. And how the heck did Lozano get out of the Pentagon? Hadn't they been warned and shown his picture? That part made no sense to me. I'm enjoying the show and look forward to the second season, but I hope they don't rely on suspension of disbelief too much, I still don't know why they didn't kill Hannah when she escaped from the container the first time, they didn't need her as a hostage, she served no purpose in the end for them, plus the van filled with explosives didn't amount to shit and for some reason they left the keys for her to drive away...

br3wnor

Looking forward to checking this out over the weekend. SUCH a dumb (plot wise) show but Keifer carries it, the supporting cast is strong, and I’m always entertained.

Heh, my GF just told me she got a note about a show filming in her area.......it's Designated Survivor just down the street on Monday

Cool!

Kadin

Have to agree with others here, the new guy is a really poor addition. I like characters I hate but this guy is just... annoying. Nothing funny about him and there's no appeal.

I did like him in Road Trip though, he was okay in that.

Sec0nd

Anyone here for season 2? I just watched the first episode and their version of Amsterdam is just too damn funny. They had two 'dutchmen' speak a couple of lines to each other. But it wasn't Dutch. They just made random throat noises. Just some random ass sounds. Who the hell thinks of that lol?!

I just can't fantom what that must have been like on set.

Actor: Mr. Director, it says here that I need to say something in Dutch. I don't speak Dutch!
Director: Doesn't matter. Just make some European sounding noises. Nobody will notice! I'm sure it sounds something like German.
Actor: You are right! Why couldn't I have thought of that my self!

It's just so ridiculous. Can't stop laughing. Even the Dutch Netflix is making fun of it.

Geist-

The Hannah Wells plot lines are pretty bad as always(not just her as an actor, everything about her B-plot seems low budget, ^Amsterdam being the prime example), but I still really like this show. I wonder if I'd like it as much as I do if not for reality providing the contrast.

Kadin

Finally watched last week's episode and man I am just not feeling this season at all. Was really excited to see how things would take off from the end of last season and this is just a very lackluster first couple episodes. The whole emergency court session was pretty dumb and the conversation between Kirkman and Patrick Lloyd was just awful. Hope it picks up because I might be done pretty quick.

The first two episodes back were really just meh to me. I simply don't care.

I'll give it another episode or two since I can pretty much watch it whenever on Netflix when I'm in bed but it's really not done much to impress.

Kadin

It looks like
Natascha McElhone
will be leaving the show at the end of the season.
I really like her as an actress but clearly her role hasn't been too crucial to the storyline so far. Still it's sad to see her go. She'll be moving on to The First, a new series on Hulu.

Elandyll

Banned
The first two episodes back were really just meh to me. I simply don't care.

I'll give it another episode or two since I can pretty much watch it whenever on Netflix when I'm in bed but it's really not done much to impress.
#shrug

Still love it, Whitehouse/ FBI shenanigans and all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It feels like it's trying to do West Wing now... and if they wanted to do that, then why do the stupid bombing stuff from the first season? lol

Watching it now and their, uh, approach to the Confederate statue is fucking rough.

Edit

Fuck this Lyor character and this show take on the issue. Utter shit.

YourMaster

I have to say I dislike where this is going,... I liked that is was part 'random guy being president and rebuilding government from scratch' and part 'there's this huge conspiracy that blew up the entire government'.
It now seems like it's going 'well, stuff happened, glad that's over so here's just another interesting day in the life of the president and his buddies'. What's even worse is that it's trying to comment on real life issues while it is in no position to do so. This would perhaps work if Jeb! had become president instead, but even then you should not break the fourth wall by referencing stuff that would not happen 'in universe'.

Kadin

I have to say I dislike where this is going,... I liked that is was part 'random guy being president and rebuilding government from scratch' and part 'there's this huge conspiracy that blew up the entire government'.
It now seems like it's going 'well, stuff happened, glad that's over so here's just another interesting day in the life of the president and his buddies'. What's even worse is that it's trying to comment on real life issues while it is in no position to do so. This would perhaps work if Jeb! had become president instead, but even then you should not break the fourth wall by referencing stuff that would not happen 'in universe'.
Yup, agreed. It was unique for the first season and now it's turned into basically just another show about the president and numerous "issues" that come up. Never thought I'd be willing to abandon a Kiefer Sutherland show but I'm giving it one more week and then I'm probably done. I will say I never did watch his show with the little boy but that ended to quick to even look into it.

Have the same feeling as the last few post.

Obviously Lloyd has something else in play but the last two episodes have been boring.

I also think they killed off Lloyd too quickly.

mrkgoo

I just finished Season 1 - had seen it on Netflix, but didn't know what it was, then saw the auto-play preview, and it looked pretty neat, so gave it a go. Thought the concept was ridiculous, and the show is really silly at times, but for some reason I enjoy the ride. I mean, so many silly things happen, and nonsensical technological stuff (like when they claim the person they're tailing is a surveillance expert, and must've removed the cellphone battery, then they "hack" into his car gps instead), but it's kind of like cheese movie stuff that you "get it" and just enjoy the ride.

I was hoping for a more explosive ending, with more shock revelations, but instead it just kinda ends. I know the show is cancelled now, but is the second season worth a watch?

Top Bottom