• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 is 30 fps on consoles, uncapped on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like Scorpio version is being held back so PS4/Pro owners don't lose their shit and start spamming Activision/Bungie all over social media.

Holding out hope that they can achieve 60 in at LEAST 1080p on Scorpio.

Not gonna happen i think, they want parity between the two boxes for pvp. wouldnt be fair at all.

I feel like Scorpio version is being held back so PS4/Pro owners don't lose their shit and start spamming Activision/Bungie all over social media.

giphy.gif

Swarna

It's hard to say, obviously, but uncapped FPS on Pro is probably at least averaging 40-55 and Bungie doesn't respect/trust console users enough to give them the option to play that way.

I could see Scorpio with the improved CPU doing locked 60 but being held back for parity. I mean, they did it with D1. PS4 had nothing over the XB1 version. Not even a slight bump in shadow quality or anything.

Not gonna lie, if I was playing this on base Xbox One I would feel screwed by people getting a 30fps advantage over me because they spent more money on a CONSOLE which negates the entire point of console gaming. A 30vs60 situtaton on Xbox one would be badddddd and unfair.

Not gonna lie, if I was playing this on base Xbox One I would feel screwed by people getting a 30fps advantage over me because they spent more money on a CONSOLE which negates the entire point of console gaming. A 30vs60 situtaton on Xbox one would be badddddd and unfair.

People have better hardware than me on PC, and yeah, sometimes it's unfair. People with more disposable income will always have an advantage. Why should the console be any different?

I think I can understand them having a 30fps cap across consoles, since it's primarily multiplayer. It would give Pro/Scorpio owners an advantage, and base players may not really have the means to upgrade. As long as there is a bump in res/visual fidelity, I don't see an issue.

Hux1ey

Banned
People have better hardware than me on PC, and yeah, sometimes it's unfair. People with more disposable income will always have an advantage. Why should the console be any different?

They don't wana piss off original console owners too much I guess.

I'll stand by what I'm saying, there should never be a situation in the console space where owners of the less expensive consoles are at a disadvantage against those who pay more.

molnizzle

It doesn't negate the point of console gaming.

The point of console gaming is ease of use. Simplicity. Scorpio and PS4 Pro still achieve that. You'll have no settings to fuck with (or very few). No drivers to update or roll back when they come out fucked. You'll turn the console on a play. Simple.

Also, I have bad news for you. People playing at 4K on Scorpio are already gonna have an advantage over you at 1080p on base Xbone. That's reality.

For years I've been hoping for a future with mid-cycle console upgrades where I could just pay more money for better graphics and performance while retaining the console simplicity. PS4 Pro and Scorpio were supposed to be that. It's the mother of all letdowns that they're not. I'd buy fucking $1,000 consoles if it meant that all of my games were automatically at 1080p+ with perfect frame pacing and locked 60fps. Hell, I'd probably pay $2,000.

Two Words

How is it any different than games like MGSV being 60 FPS in current gen and 30 FPS on last gen or PC games having frame rates that actually fully utilize the hardware?

They don't wana piss off original console owners too much I guess.

That's the dumbest shit. The majority of gamers don't even know what the fuck you're talking about when you tell them "better performance" or "more FPS" and that's just factual. I doubt most would even know, and if they did, they probably wouldn't care. Graphics are an easier sell when it comes to marketing, that's why you see so many many developers taking the locked 30FPS option in favor of more visual goodness.

I'll stand by what I'm saying, there should never be a situation in the console space where owners of the less expensive consoles are at a disadvantage against those who pay more.

Does it really matter that much? Have you ever felt you're getting destroyed by people with a higher framerate?

Swarna

Destiny isn't some esports-tier competitive game that needs to keep the integrity of player parity intact. Otherwise it wouldn't have expansions that divide the playerbase into haves and have-nots and be focused on its cooperative bullet sponge enemy gameplay. 60 FPS on Scorpio is no big deal.

molnizzle

Destiny isn't some esports-tier competitive game that needs to keep the integrity of player parity intact. Otherwise it wouldn't have expansions that divide the playerbase into haves and have-nots and be focused on its cooperative bullet sponge enemy gameplay. 60 FPS on Scorpio is no big deal.

You probably haven't played Destiny much in the past couple of years if you think PvE is the primary driving content that keeps the game alive.

Trials of Osiris is what keeps the game alive. Competitive PvP. Extremely competitive PvP.

You probably haven't played Destiny much in the past couple of years if you think PvE is the primary driving content that keeps the game alive.

Trials of Osiris is what keeps the game alive. Competitive PvP. Extremely competitive PvP.
(citation needed)

I'm sure Bungie and Activision would love for that to be the case though.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I haven't touched my PS4 in months. I haven't owned an X1 all generation, and my primary platform PC has just recently been getting a little more playtime. Nice try, though
With posts like yours, there's no need to try since you make it effortless. Keep on fighting the good fight, warrior.

molnizzle

(citation needed)

I'm sure Bungie and Activision would love for that to be the case though.

God, I feel like I've gone through this 1,000 times already on GAF.

Nobody is still playing Destiny every day and not playing for PvP. They'll still do their weekly raids and nightfalls and whatever else, but come the weekend it's Trials time. Console exclusive Destiny will be in the top 10 on Twitch with Hearthstone and Dota 2 and 9/10 streams will be Trials runs.

sgtmofo

Neo Member
I can't imagine they wanted an unfair advantage for those on PS4 Pro being able to get 60FPS in Crucible, and the standard PS4 players getting 30FPS.

God, I feel like I've gone through this 1,000 times already on GAF.

Nobody is still playing Destiny every day and not playing for PvP. They'll still do their weekly raids and nightfalls and whatever else, but come the weekend it's Trials time. Console exclusive Destiny will be in the top 10 on Twitch with Hearthstone and Dota 2 and 9/10 streams will be Trials runs.
Anecdotally, all the folks I know that have been consumed by Destiny only play the PvP because they have to. To fill out their challenge book, to get their exotics, whatever. So they'll show up in online stats, but not out of some love for Destiny's competitive multi.

Then when they're done they complain about lag and glitches and hope they don't have to do it again for a while. Its like clockwork.

If you want some truly competitive multiplayer, pick one that's not based upon gear and tied at the hip to PvE. Chances are you'll also get your 60fps too.

I can't imagine they wanted an unfair advantage for those on PS4 Pro being able to get 60FPS in Crucible, and the standard PS4 players getting 30FPS.

You say that as if Pro has a much better CPU than standard PS4 so it's capable of doing 60fps with a push of a button. Framerates depend a lot on CPU speed, not GPU power.

border

Is Trials popular because it's really great competitive PVP?

Or because it's a time-limited event and a chance to get exclusive gear?

If there were nothing but standard Crucible rewards, would 3v3 Elimination really even be that popular of a game mode?

How is it any different than games like MGSV being 60 FPS in current gen and 30 FPS on last gen or PC games having frame rates that actually fully utilize the hardware?

Does it really matter that much? Have you ever felt you're getting destroyed by people with a higher framerate?

Don't get me wrong, if this is the way the console industry goes then we will all have to get used to framerate advantages being given to owners of the better consoles, I guess I'll need to just go with the flow. I definitely would not complain if it was 60fps on pro because I love how good that feels, I would just need to adjust to the fact that I've got an input advantage over others.

I would most definitely be interested in seeing case studies of 30fps vs 60fps gameplay of the same game to see how it affects player performance.

molnizzle

If there were nothing but standard Crucible rewards, would 3v3 Elimination really even be that popular of a game mode?

At the end of the day the exclusive gear has little benefit in PvE. It's PvP gear for PvP players.

The mode is popular because it has real stakes. You can't lose. People do play elim 3v3 but mostly as practice for Trials.

Would it still be popular without the gear and the prestige? Probably not. Luckily the gear and the prestige is there. Getting to the lighthouse is an actual accomplishment that most people can't achieve. There aren't many experiences like that left in gaming. Especially not in console shooters.

anothertech

Console=Controlled Environment
PC=Not

It's always been this way. We only have D1 to base theory off of, and all signs point to parity on Pro and Scorpio, and Scorpio with Xbone for fps.

i'm still holding out hope for a 1080/60 version in PVE at least for Pro and Scorpio. PVP locked at 30 makes sense.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Console=Controlled Environment
PC=Not

It's always been this way. We only have D1 to base theory off of, and all signs point to parity on Pro and Scorpio, and Scorpio with Xbone for fps.

i'm still holding out hope for a 1080/60 version in PVE at least for Pro and Scorpio. PVP locked at 30 makes sense.

If they had 60FPS or were targeting it they'd be shouting it from the rooftops like PC is getting. Its clear, if you want 60+FPS, go PC.

vin-buc

At the end of the day the exclusive gear has little benefit in PvE. It's PvP gear for PvP players.

The mode is popular because it has real stakes. You can't lose. People do play elim 3v3 but mostly as practice for Trials.

Would it still be popular without the gear and the prestige? Probably not. Luckily the gear and the prestige is there. Getting to the lighthouse is an actual accomplishment that most people can't achieve. There aren't many experiences like that left in gaming. Especially not in console shooters.

Hedgey flew us to the lighthouse our first time. I remember that night.

I only did it for gear. I fucking hate trials though. I mainly just play control and rift. Really not happy that they've moved to 4v4 for this reason. Not trying to feel like I'm in a sweat every match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom