• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT2| Leviathan Wakes (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

_Legacy_

Probably completed 20 heroic public strikes, at least 80% of them I've seen exotics drop for random guardians but I'm getting nothing but blues. FML

Balphon

The Number (FWC AR) is a good AR in the Uriel's Gift class if you're lucky enough to get it.

Will probably be easier to find when they roll out the factions event.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I haven't even made one at all because I didn't want to start it up, invite everyone, then have to close it to change the name, recreate it and reinvite everyone, making it a huge hassle and losing clan progress.

You can edit anything any time. You can't use the words sex, bastard, Jigga, etc.

Kyne

End Game post 265 is pretty much non existent. You have a total of four activities that give you better gear.

- Crucible weekly bounty
- Nightfall
- Raid
- Trials

This is pretty much the state of the game after 2 weeks of release. My usual fireteam has found that we're rewarded more for playing 3-4 hours on Tuesday night vs. the rest of the entire week (sans Trials). I guess this is what they wanted?

More time for other games I suppose. Mahvel here we come.

The power of hindsight can make anyone into an awesome game designer.

now that ain't fair. They had 3 years to get this formula right. They were actually on to something at the end of D1, and then they did a 180 and changed it up so much that we're back at square 1.

GhaleonEB

This is pretty much the state of the game after 2 weeks of release. My usual fireteam has found that we're rewarded more for playing 3-4 hours on Tuesday night vs. the rest of the entire week (sans Trials). I guess this is what they wanted?

More time for other games I suppose. Mahvel here we come.

I seem to recall this happening with both Taken King and Rise of Iron, and Bungie responded by folding in a number of other sources for peak light level gear in subsequent updates.

Odd that they didn't learn from that and have a wider array from the onset. That is a pretty short list of activities, and it's not like there's a shortage of activities the could have moved forward.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
You should be fine for both I believe. Raid and nightfall. And I'd get powerful gear before reset.
Do the nightfall. It's only 240. Prestige version is 300 but you dont have to do that to get better gear.
274 is more than enough for the Nightfall & this weeks just happens to be easy(ish), so I'd try to run it before reset.

Cool, cheers guys. Destiny Gaf is pretty nice, I asked on the Discord if there was a Nightfall going and within 2 minutes was in a fire team heading into one. Makes me wish I spent more time in Destiny 1 rather than giving it up.

Do the nightfall. It's only 240. Prestige version is 300 but you dont have to do that to get better gear.

You are fine for the first couple of sections of the raid but you will be a liability if you are just an average player. just ask your group to assign you an easier role.

you are lucky to get to 274 without any weapon quests. do them now. they are a bit time consuming but should help you get to 280. after that, the mods should push you to 285.

after that. good luck. pretty much been stuck for the past three days at 285.

Bungie says they calculate it automatically but i think the system gets confused by any exotics in your system. say if you have a primary exotic that is 280 but if you have a 270 heavy exotic equipped, it will NOT use the 280 to calculate your highest light level.

The Nightfall got me to 276 my highest gear all equipped, getting there slowly but surely, so hopefully the reset will send me over 280 come tomorrow. I'll probably wait a bit before getting into the Raid, try and get into the 280s and will probably get my other two classes up to at least the first soft cap.

Thanks for the advice.

End Game post 265 is pretty much non existent. You have a total of four activities that give you better gear.

- Crucible weekly bounty
- Nightfall
- Raid
- Trials

here is everything that is useless.

- Story Missions
- Strikes
- Crucible
- Public Events
- Patrols
- Lost Sectors
- Adventures

Even exotic drops drop at your light level post 265. Not above.

Here are a few simple adjustments that were present in Destiny 1 after three years of testing.
- Add Three of Coins back into the game. All of a sudden killing bosses in strikes, public events, lost sectors, adventures and story missions becomes rewarding.
- Exotics should have a 50-50 chance to drop higher or at your current your light level.
- Bring back the chance to have Legendary engrams turn into exotics.
- Turn Adventures into heroic high level missions like weekly bounties. Game is missing a Challenge Of Elders like mode. Complete all five every week to earn Powerful Gear.
- Bring back Court of Oryx and Forge like activities. Heroic Public events are too easy. This might be hard to add but maybe they can add matchmaking to lost sectors and turn them into prestige mode 300 level activities you can do with randoms. high risk high reward. Limit the loot pool to class items, mods and legendary gear 5 below your light level.
- Increase Faction, Vanguard and Crucible rep loot light level to Five below current light level. 10 means even with a mod, you will always have gear that is 5 below. It's useless right now.
- Give a powerful gear for completing all of Ikora's story missions on heroic difficulty. Make it a weekly challenge.
- EDIT: Add random perks on the weapons. Come on. that was probably the best change to come out of the April update and made it so rewarding to get that perfect roll. Every single drop was exciting because you never knew what you were getting. Why remove this??????

I'm not sure if they changed it, but every exotic engram that i have gotten has been higher PL.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Kind of hard to say crucible is a useless activity when you mention the weekly crucible milestone which offers a powerful reward. With how many matches are required to complete it and how long those matches take it usually can stretch a couple hours. I agree its not fun and almost worth skipping out on the reward but that is a different matter.

Public events are still noteworthy as they help progress your weekly flash point for the powerful reward from cayde.

Patrols/Adventures/crucible/strikes all provide personal clan XP contribution which again rewards you with 1 powerful reward after contributing 5K clan XP in a week.

Sure you are not sinking a huge amount of time into any one of those events to try and upgrade your power but that is a lot to do (even more so if you are running multiple characters) and they can all offer better drops than they did in D1 (infusion fuel, shards etc.).

I haven't had issues with exotics dropping at 300 power compared to my 290 ish power level. Not always an upgrade over my current piece but consistently above my overall power level. Legendary engrams can turn into exotics still. Just like before it is very rare.

I do agree they need to make the strike playlist relevant, and do agree the ikora meditation missions need to have a better incentive. One suggestion I heard mentioned about those would be to place a "black spindle" type quest in those periodically provide either a twist on an existing mission or a special reward for doing it.

I've gotten multiple exotics from legendaries. Also Gunsmith has a chance to grant you one.
I had Gunsmith drop me one, but i have yet to have a legendary engram turn into an exotic and i spent 12 hours in the raid last week accumulating an ungodly amount of legendary engrams.

Exotics have dropped at my level or below since i hit 265. Mida and Strum dropped at 10-15 above my light level but since both are primaries, they cancelled each other out. couldnt infuse them into anything good like Auto rifles or pulse rifles either.

Sure, crucible quest makes you play crucible but once thats done, whats the incentive? I got that quest done on Wednesday and well now what? The drop rate for exotics is so low in strikes and crucible that its beneficial to just grind public events all day. I used the medallions three times this weekend and had a total of 2 exotics drop from public events. thats 12 hours and two exotic drops. None of Strikes and crucible. Something is busted.

Public events are a huge upgrade from the first but again once you get flashpoint and clan rewards, thats it. And they arent much fun. Especially solo when its pretty much impossible to trigger the heroic events in most events.

I have always loved running strikes with randoms. We start off low level and struggle to beat it. Then we get better and higher leveled and then it would turn into a race to see how fast we could finish it. Even in vanilla destiny when we got just 25 vanguard xp and 3 legendary marks for running strikes, it was fun. It was a lot of fun in year 2 and 3 when we ran it to get to the bosses asap and get strike gear and exotic engrams that were always higher than your light level. no matter what the cap was.

I'm not sure if they changed it, but every exotic engram that i have gotten has been higher PL.

I guess I have just been really unlucky. I even had the highest level gear equipped yesterday. Which meant playing with a hand cannon i dont like and a pulse rifle i am sick of using, and trying to kill strike bosses with a stupid fucking shotgun instead of merciless, but it still dropped at 280 (plus a +5 mod) when i was clearly 285. My other drop was 277 when i was clearly over 282. I think it gets confused when i have an exotic in my inventory. i had zero exotics equipped and it still thought my max level was 282 and gave me a 277 exotic with a +5 mod.

xCobalt

Does Man o War scale to you LL? Ive been told it does but it dropped at 275 for me when I was in the 280s

I don't think gear mods contribute to your "true" power level. It's just a layer of padding. Legendary engrams and quest rewards have been dropping below my power level as well. The power level only makes sense if all my gear didn't have mods on them.

jviggy43

Hey so regarding titans in pleasure gardens
someone previously said titan's pulse grenades kill dogs with only 3 or 4 stacks. Is that true and is it for any subclass?

Also just an FYI, the destiny app is deleting items from my character and did so for a couple of my friend's characters as well (including a level 300 merciless). Really infuriating.

KrebStar

Well, friend/raid group I'd been playing with all week went and finished without me because I took too long (literally one minute) to join the party. This after waiting fifteen minutes for one guy yesterday.

This is going to be a long night. Neat raid, though.

xCobalt

someone previously said titan's pulse grenades kill dogs with only 3 or 4 stacks. Is that true and is it for any subclass?

Even with one stack, my titan was able to take off a huge chunk with 2 pulse grenades and a few heavy rounds. Pulse grenade is very good.

traveler

Not Wario
If you post lfg stuff in the thread, you should also coordinate and finalize with everyone in the thread, but I'd also say that lfg stuff is far more suited to discord in general. I don't even look for lfg posts or make them in the thread anymore.

The biggest problem with how the game awards loot at the endgame isn't the number of viable activities, but the total ease of gearing up. I'm already 290 plus on two characters and there were a handful of people 300+ before even one weekly reset. Yes, they- and myself to some extent- are the bleeding edge of the player base, but I'd go so far as to say what we did should have been literally impossible and even getting 260+ prior to the raid should have been a really really hard thing to accomplish. Endgame folks catapulted past 260 so fast we invalidated tons of chunks of the game. Had we had smaller light jumps or needed to work longer to climb past 260, those non powerful gear awarding activities would have had their place. As it stands, I outgeared leviathan before it released despite spending 3 of the 8 available days beforehand away from the game moving and maintaining a normal eating/sleep schedule while continuing to make all my preexisting appointments. The only use for gear now is scaling up for trials and prestige raid/night falls. There's basically only 1 or 2 more exotic weapons I want and only 2 or 3 more Titan exotics i don't have period. This is crazy to be happening so early.

Personally, now, I don't mind. I don't really play the game for loot and I actually like finishing content, leaving the game, and coming back later, but if Bungie were interested in setting up an endgame that could consistently occupy semi hardcore players till the doc in Dec, I'd say they were way too rewarding.

jviggy43

Even with one stack, my titan was able to take off a huge chunk with 2 pulse grenades and a few heavy rounds. Pulse grenade is very good.

Awesome, thank you, My rockets generally are more than enough but if I can save the ammo thats even better.

Olengie

I don't think gear mods contribute to your "true" power level. It's just a layer of padding. Legendary engrams and quest rewards have been dropping below my power level as well. The power level only makes sense if all my gear didn't have mods on them.

Legendarys will drop lower to your LL. Exotics will be near your LL.

The World Quest rewards scale. All of them except Man o War.

For me anyways

mileS

I managed to pull 5 wins straight in Trials of the Nine, now I don't get tokens anymore?! Can somebody explain to me how that makes sense? I was making tokens at a steady pace before I hit this point. Now I'm starting to win more often and I get nothing?

nOoblet16

Also just an FYI, the destiny app is deleting items from my character and did so for a couple of my friend's characters as well (including a level 300 merciless). Really infuriating.
2 stack (ie. 24x) is enough to kill a dog as a titan. One pulse grenade will take almost half health at that stack. You just throw 2 grenades back to back and pound the fist a bit. With 3 stacks (34x) a titan can actually kill 2 dogs. At 4 stacks (48x)...anyone can kill 2 dogs.

traveler

Not Wario
Also, I'm legitimately shocked Better Devils didn't even chart in the meta. That thing is way better than mida for every type of pvp aside from trials.

Kyne

I managed to pull 5 wins straight in Trials of the Nine, now I don't get tokens anymore?! Can somebody explain to me how that makes sense? I was making tokens at a steady pace before I hit this point. Now I'm starting to win more often and I get nothing?

Correct. After X amount of wins you stop gaining tokens to prevent you from farming the rewards NPC and getting all of the gear week 1.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Anybody up for Callus? Posting for someone because he's shy. Need four.

1. Godless.
2. Senor Taxi

3. Someone
4. Someone else
5. That other someone
6. Lastly one other someone
Quoted for recent page...4 more dudes..vets are welcomed as well as dudes who've tried to bear calus but couldnt get the win...whatever gets us closer to glory the better

Mindlog

Gotta say that seeing the Nightfall boss with a sliver of health as time is winding down and everyone is dead... I like it. Much more suspenseful than any of the previous iterations. Fun.

Cob32

Quoted for recent page...4 more dudes..vets are welcomed as well as dudes who've tried to bear calus but couldnt get the win...whatever gets us closer to glory the better

Hi it's my first time trying but I know the mechanics.

mileS

Correct. After X amount of wins you stop gaining tokens to prevent you from farming the rewards NPC and getting all of the gear week 1.

I don't understand why. No other vendors work like that. Maybe it's a carry over from the D1 Trials?

TyrantII

I seem to recall this happening with both Taken King and Rise of Iron, and Bungie responded by folding in a number of other sources for peak light level gear in subsequent updates.

Odd that they didn't learn from that and have a wider array from the onset. That is a pretty short list of activities, and it's not like there's a shortage of activities the could have moved forward.

It was never this bad. At least since vanilla and VOG era where progression was locked behind rare Raid drops you'd get once a week.

Honestly, it's perplexing to me because they fixed this issue, and experimented with it as well, but never went back to it. And here we are.

I guess they really don't want new players feeling like they have to play more than a few hours a week to level, but that really shits in the pot of us players that play daily and look forward to even an inkling of progression.

Removing random weapon and armor perks is along the same idea and again negates any reason to play in the end game besides a few hours.

Bad Bungie. Bad.

Top Bottom