• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Beta starts in July, game tracking to record new-IP preorders

RdN

I'm getting this on the XBO, sucks that there's an exclusive BETA period for the PS4.. Hopefully it's not longer than a week.

R0ckman

I have never played a beta for a MMO like game and was wanting to know if anything like loot and the characters we create carry over. I'm sure that the characters we create probably will, but will anything we collect be saved for the official release?

Uhhh did the beta codes already go out for those that pre ordered?

I never got mind from Amazon and assumed we would closer to the date.

Unstable

I have never played a beta for a MMO like game and was wanting to know if anything like loot and the characters we create carry over. I'm sure that the characters we create probably will, but will anything we collect be saved for the official release?
In my experiences with MMO betas (or betas in general) generally nothing is carried over from beta to release. You might get a cosmetic item or token for participating in the beta though.

Svafnir

No, I very much doubt it. That happens like 1% of the time.

desertdroog

For clarification purposes.

I submitted my code through bungie's website. And my redeemed codes page says as much, however, am I to expect a second email from Bungie where it asks me which platform I want to Beta test on?

I want to make sure I didn't miss an email in my junk settings or if I missed a step.

JPS Kai

Is the July date for every system or just for the PS4? I know it's supposed to get it earlier.

Speculation right now is that July is Sony's soft launch for the beta with maybe one or two weeks exclusivity before other consoles get it. I don't know anything concrete, just parroting what I've been hearing.

cripterion

Tracking preorders when so many people have already cancelled it? How does that work? I guess you could say the stats will show interest...

Does GAF have any good communities I can join if I'm looking for chill people to play the beta with this summer? I will be working an average 9-5 on weekdays and weekends will just be gym time and relaxation.

External Memory

Neo Member
You'll likely get some trophy gear to show off your beta tester, or even "beta endgame" status on a new Guardian for whichever platform come day one, but I know that's not really what you're asking.
RIP in piece beta Guardian ;_;

Bsigg12

For clarification purposes.

I submitted my code through bungie's website. And my redeemed codes page says as much, however, am I to expect a second email from Bungie where it asks me which platform I want to Beta test on?

I want to make sure I didn't miss an email in my junk settings or if I missed a step.

They haven't begun the platform selection phase yet, just the signing up via a code. We should be getting some kind of communication about when we are to select our platform of choice in June i would have to think.

Wizman23

Banned
So glorified demo confirmed. I would imagine by the time the beta is in our hands the game is going to be very close to going gold. At least they won't have time to nerf the Halo 3 beta carbine this time

OneUh8

I will play a little of the beta I am sure, but I really want to save my time with this game fo the full version.

Sooooo not a beta then. Expected, I just wish they wouldnt call it a beta. Just call it a trial/demo, not much is going to change from beta to final release which will be a month from "beta" and likely already gold.

Beta just implies unfinished and gives people a false impression that the final game will be significantly more finished, which is rarely the case when they are so close.

gatti-man

Sooooo not a beta then. Expected, I just wish they wouldnt call it a beta. Just call it a trial/demo, not much is going to change from beta to final release which will be a month from "beta" and likely already gold.

Beta just implies unfinished and gives people a false impression that the final game will be significantly more finished, which is rarely the case when they are so close.

Beta to me means trial and expect crashes server side or even client side. Beta just is a blanket term for a volume trial especially for an online game.

Beta to me means trial and expect crashes server side or even client side. Beta just is a blanket term for a volume trial especially for an online game.

It means that to me as well. I can't tell you you how many times I've encountered people saying "its just a beta, it will get fixed" and release date comes and there are more issues.

Sofa King

My guess is PS4 beta on July 1 and then the XBO brethren get welcomed in 7/7 in celebration of Bungie day. I would think they would want all of their old school MS people who are used to celebrating Bungie day with them to be connected to the festivities. The non-PS4 converts already feel distance from the Bungie mothership and having the Xbox fans unable to celebrate would make that feeling even more distant.

If I'm not mistaken Bungie official twitter confirmed a July beta just a few minutes ago.

Also I wonder how my pre-order will be handled if Bungie announces a collector edition, I will more than likely opt for that. Hell if Gamestop offers one as well and have the pre-order bonuses still I might go to Gamestop is Amazon does not get any good pre-order bonuses (even if they are timed exclusive).

SnakeEyes

Banned
I don't want to stir up a big argument, but I wonder if there's currently no PC version because of issues around rampant piracy of PC games? Bungie/Activision don't have a client service for PC games, right? Do other Activision games run through Steam currently?

I'm ready, I bought a PS4 last week and I have 2 beta codes restered. :p

You pre-oreder the game and get a code. You can even get one from pre-oredering from Amazon without paying anything.

Reaallllllllyyy? So you can pre-order it and then cancel when getting the code? You got yours already from amazon?

Amir0x

Banned
I still cannot comprehend how they're ever going to get that return on the investment, but best of luck to them... looks like they're off to a good start if they on a record breaking new IP trip right now. Looks like a sci-fi dream game, can't wait to play it personally.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Awesome! Also, if I were to guess, July 1st for PS4 users, and it'll open for every platform on Bungie Day itself.

broony

A beta? No.

Try marketing demo / standard industry practice PR stunt.

Making folks think they are helping improve the game and test it before release with these things is just a joke, really.
To be fair, there were quite a few weapon tweaks between the halo 3 and Reach betas and launch. I think the networking seemed better at release for both as well.

I'm sure it is a large part about marketing, and with this game I think they need to get it in hands to sell it to some people, but I am sure it is an actual beta test at the same time.

Top Bottom