• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny House of Wolves Reveal Thread

Gammacide

Gah! So it WILL be worth to keep doing VoG for Fatebringer? Can't wait to upgrade some of my legendaries! I wish we could upgrade ANY armor to the new cap though as I've got some low level stuff that looks cool as heck, better than most high level gear.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I haven't played in months, never raided, and don't have the first xpac, but I am curious to see how the prison thing looks. If HoW has a raid-less gearing path using that I might be back in.

Trakan

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I get a 360 attack Fatebringer, but I don't understand the decision at all. The best gun in the game gets better and I have no reason to use anything else as a primary. I understood them cycling the gear out because it was OP and it seems like they made the CE gear a little worse to the point it was still good but not too good. I remember looking at the HOW Raid weapons when they leaked and not being terribly impressed, but of course things can change. Unless they start making weapons on tier with or better than FB, I don't really get why they're doing this.

GhaleonEB

The last couple of updates Bungie did were very reflective of community feedback, with the last patch comprised almost entirely of stuff we've been asking for (raid fixes, more vault space, etc). Given the uproar over the upgrade paths with The Dark Below, this is a chance for Bungie to show they are indeed listening and responding. They're leading the House of Wolves reveal with it, so presumably they feel very good about what they're showing. So it's under that lens that I'll be evaluating what they show.

Picked a good day to work from home this morning.

PSA: If you want to swing by to let everyone know you still think Destiny is a stinky pile of poo poo, this is not the thread you are looking for. Please keep this one relatively on topic.

THANK YOU

I'm tired of naysayers shitting up Destiny threads as though they have nothing better to do.

We were going to gather at work to watch this, bu then I went and got sick last night and had to stay home this morning. I'm feeling well enough to be out of bed, at least.

Vire

So what is exactly being shown on the stream today? Just walking around the new social hub?

TomShoe

Banned
Cool beans. I've been waiting to get back into Destiny. I'm level 26 now, but I was going to get the expansion pack once the price dropped.

EDIT: Destiny will make a great summer game. Just started Bloodborne, but it might jump ahead of GTA V if expansion drops sooner than expected.

GhaleonEB

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I get a 360 attack Fatebringer, but I don't understand the decision at all. The best gun in the game gets better and I have no reason to use anything else as a primary. I understood them cycling the gear out because it was OP and it seems like they made the CE gear a little worse to the point it was still good but not too good. I remember looking at the HOW Raid weapons when they leaked and not being terribly impressed, but of course things can change. Unless they start making weapons on tier with or better than FB, I don't really get why they're doing this.

I'll quote myself on why I think Exotics are keeping pace with the updates:

One of Destiny's better design elements is the restriction on exotic weapon and armor usage to one of each at any point in time. It allows exotics to feature some pretty cool perks that would otherwise become OP when combined with other exotic perks. It encourages players to use a wide range of different builds rather than creating one uber-build. And crucially, it also keeps legendary weapons and gear relevant.

I don't play a ton of loot games, but in every single one I have played there has been a strict hierarchy to the loot tiers, with each tier superior to the next. The endgame always involved getting the best weapons, which rendered every tier of weapons and gear below them irrelevant. By making exotics on par with legendary gear, and through the one item at a time restriction on exotic use, Bungie keeps a much larger set of their sandbox relevant. In fact, by having rare engrams provide a chance to decrypt into legendary stuff, they have kept three of the five loot tiers relevant for the endgame.

Extending this same philosophy of keeping as much of the sandbox relevant for endgame players as possible, it would not make sense to create a new set of tiers via the DLC. If they did, then only a handful of exotics and legendary gear would be relevant for the higher level players, and we would find our viable options restricted, rather than opened up, as the game continued to expand. The more unique gear is released, and the older stuff kept on par with it, the more diverse the viable character builds become. If they did not, the opposite would happen, and we'd see less and less variety as time went on. I think that would undercut the diversity of gear Bungie has been trying to build.

(It's already too restrictive as it is, with only raid gear getting us to level 32. I would rather we get the ability to infuse our legendary gear with additional light, so we could build out our own set of level 32 gear, using orbs of light; but that's another topic entirely.)
I'm pretty ecstatic that they seem to be addressing that last line of criticism with this update.

Stream is up!

Theorry

The last couple of updates Bungie did were very reflective of community feedback, with the last patch comprised almost entirely of stuff we've been asking for (raid fixes, more vault space, etc). Given the uproar over the upgrade paths with The Dark Below, this is a chance for Bungie to show they are indeed listening and responding. They're leading the House of Wolves reveal with it, so presumably they feel very good about what they're showing. So it's under that lens that I'll be evaluating what they show.

The learned also about revealing earlier i think. I remember when TDB released and maybe a day before we found out how the upgrading worked. Was not smart by them imo. Good they now tell that way before.

So what's the gear treadmill looking like going into this annoucement? I quit Destiny after Dark Below was released because I didn't feel like doing a whole bunch of griding just to get back to doing the raid.

Now I'm worrying that if I want to get back into the game, I'm too far behind. Is the grind still pretty awful?

Aequitas

So what is exactly being shown on the stream today? Just walking around the new social hub?

That, introduction to new characters and vendors at the Reef, perhaps the trials of Osiris social space, and how we will be upgrading raid legendaries to the new max.

Falchion

Hopefully they'll cover how exotic weapon upgrades will work in addition to the legendary guns. I've got 3 or 4 exotic bounties right now that I haven't completed and I'm willing to wait and finish them once HoW comes out if it means I can save an exotic shard not having to upgrade their damage.

Really looking forward to getting into this again. Took a break from the game about a week before Hard Crota released and haven't played it since. Don't even know what's all been updated since then. Fully expect to get hooked again once I fire the game up.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So what's the gear treadmill looking like going into this annoucement? I quit Destiny after Dark Below was released because I didn't feel like doing a whole bunch of griding just to get back to doing the raid.

Now I'm worrying that if I want to get back into the game, I'm too far behind. Is the grind still pretty awful?

This is what I'm interested in. There needs to be a reasonable path to go from pre-Dark Below gear levels (~25 or so?) to new stuff without outrageous grinding.

Theorry

Hopefully they'll cover how exotic weapon upgrades will work in addition to the legendary guns. I've got 3 or 4 exotic bounties right now that I haven't completed and I'm willing to wait and finish them once HoW comes out if it means I can save an exotic shard not having to upgrade their damage.

Once you complete them you get the new version. Was the same after TDB. :)

GhaleonEB

The learned also about revealing earlier i think. I remember when TDB released and maybe a day before we found out how the upgrading worked. Was not smart by them imo. Good they now tell that way before.

I hadn't considered that, but yea, it was part of the blowback. Good call - that probably has much to do with why they are leading with it.

Deku Tree

I love my FB but it's not the only primary I'd use. I use a lot of scout rifles so in many situations I'd still be using my Fang over the FB.

No one uses Fatebringer in the crucible, are you saying its the best for pve only? Crucible now is the 3 exotic handcannons with some red death sprinkled in from time to time. I havent seen anyone using vog weapons in ages.

Falchion

I love my FB but it's not the only primary I'd use. I use a lot of scout rifles so in many situations I'd still be using my Fang over the FB.

This. My Fatebringer is great but I'd rather use Mida or Fang most of the time because of the range, precision, and larger magazine.

Top Bottom