• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: How did the Alpha affect your opinion of the game? Vote inside.

Architect

Neo Member
0/10 isn't really a horrible impression, more like "not really interested". If that's supposed to be 5/10 and 0 is like "THIS SHIT SUCKS, FUCK THIS GAME", then I'll change it, but I saw 0 as "whatever".

EDIT: Just read it again, yep, "interest level x/10", not "this game will be x/10".

I still don't think it'll be a 10/10 game to me, but my interest is a 10 because I'll get it day one, can't get much more interested than that.

I think we can both agree your interest level in Destiny was not 0/10 by the simple fact that you gave the Alpha a chance (unless you were forced to play it for whatever reason).

These interest ratings are obviously not an exact science, but I found too many posts on this thread going from no interest to a very high interest level because of an Alpha which they choose to play.

I think such posts are likely misleading a number of Gaffers or readers who truly have no interest in the game to mistakenly think they should pick it up.

only we aren't foolish enough to review games before we play them, or even an alpha version.

if you had read the op more carefully, you'd see that the number is an interest level, not a premature rating.

sounds like you're taking this awfully personally, bro. don't get so worked up over what video games other people play, and how they feel about them.

Interest level 0/10 and you pick up an Alpha for a game? Read above, there is nothing personal about it.

Cess007

Before - 6/10:
I mas mildly interested but i was skeptical about the game and the mechanics.

After - 9.5/10:
Still have some minor issues, but i loved the game. It was fun, and found myself losing a couple of hours with some friends without me noticing it. Day 1 for me.

Mr Moose

Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was "Probably won't even buy it, looks a bit meh". My interest level was: 2/10.

After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny has changed, it's not what I thought it would be like, pre-ordered it within an hour. My interest level is now: 8/10.

Insaniac

Before I had very little interest, the trailers did nothing for me and gameplay videos looked like "Halo Campaign Re-skinned", so around 2/10

after the alpha, I'm definitely more interested, I'd say 6/10. I'll wait for the Beta to fully form my opinion

satori

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny… 2/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny… 4/10

This was after a quick sit down after coming home from a brutal day at work.

I woke up the next day and decided to try it again and for 2 days I played non stop. I was immersed into the world. And I came across a few people that I enjoy playing with. Then I discovered the PVP. Holy shit I realize what an amazing game I had the pleasure of playing. And now I can not wait to get the next chance to play it again.

It became a 10/10 for me. Good job Bungie. If this really is an alpha, then holy shit. It felt nothing like any alpha I ever played in the past. I would actually put some money down for it right now lol.

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was a version of Borderlands made by a studio that actually understands game design. My interest level was: 8/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is a pseudo-MMO with great world-building, compelling gameplay systems, and engaging group content. My interest level is now: 10/10.

I've been on the Destiny hype train for a while. The alpha only confirmed everything I already believed to be true. I can't wait.

Rather than using numbers, I decided to write a song about how the Alpha made me feel

Moon Wizard, flying in the sky
I'm shooting you in style some day
Oh, loot maker, you heart breaker
Wherever you're dropping, I'm looting it today

Three players, off to see the world
There's such a lot of world to see
We're after the same bulletsponge, waiting, round the bend
My Huckleberry Friend, Moon Wizard, and me

Moon Wizard, blasted little fly
I'm shooting you in style today
Oh, goddamnit, bruv
You dropped that same glove, that's just so fucking lame

We're after that same bulletsponge, waiting, round the bend

No but seriously, all it had to do was prove it didn't play like Borderlands to restore my initial interest.

FMbarbarian

Before Alpha: 4/10
After Alpha: 9/10

Like many that have posted here I wasn't all that interested in the game. I haven't played a Bungie game since Halo 3. I've always disliked their art direction and what made rate it a 4/10 before I played the alpha was because I thought the art looked great.

I was really surprised by the gun mechanics. Just from the time I played reaching from max rank. I could tell that this is one of the best feeling first person shooters I've played. I love the Borderlands-esque loot aspect. I only wish you'd find loot more often even if its mostly common stuff. This is also the first time I've ever been compelled by MMO aspects. The grouping is seemless and its easy to identify team dynamics.

With all that praise I'm still on the fence as to whether this is a day one purchase for me or not.

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was that it would just be a boring MMO-structured game with a PvP section that wasn't really the focus of the game. My interest level was: 4/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is that the PvP is AMAZING. Rusted Lands is a pretty incredible map to play. I'm a Warlock and I use an upgradeable shotgun w/ special ammo as my main weapon, so much fun. Jetpacks/space magic/shotgun is such an awesome combo to me. I'm less fond of the Moon map because it's bigger and more people just sit and hide or use vehicles/turrets, but it's still a beautiful map and pretty fun. Hopefully the final game will have a good mix of tighter arenas and big warzones. My interest level is now: 8.76521/10.

Kaswa101

Before - 6/10:
I mas mildly interested but i was skeptical about the game and the mechanics.

After - 9.5/10:
Still have some minor issues, but i loved the game. It was fun, and found myself losing a couple of hours with some friends without me noticing it. Day 1 for me.

This. Not sure about Day 1 yet, but I'm definitely interested in buying now.

Before Alpha: 6/10
After Alpha: 8.5/10

When i heard that Bungie was coming with a new game i had some interest but didn't now to expect from the trailers. But playing the game and most important the fun i had with a friend playing the mission on legendary give me a reason to buy.

Mindlog

After playing the Destiny Alpha I can only imagine how Defiance could have turned out with a significantly larger budget.

I have some really fond memories of Defiance. It's not a great game, but it had some moments. Nothing on console ever topped the ridiculous number of players popping out of the starting area when those servers launched. Or rolling out from a public event with dozens of other players.

Pour_one_for_the_homies.jpg

Arklite

These interest ratings are obviously not an exact science, but I found too many posts on this thread going from no interest to a very high interest level because of an Alpha which they choose to play.

I think such posts are likely misleading a number of Gaffers or readers who truly have no interest in the game to mistakenly think they should pick it up.

Only data point people should take away from this thread is that a lot of player's interest rose after the beta. It'd be unwise to spend anything after merely reading offhand reactions to an alpha build. That should be obvious. Wait of reviews or impressions of the final game.

Before the lead up to e3 I was pretty confused as most people were. But I was slightly interested due to it being bungie.

During e3 my interest really piqued and I was a good 7/10 about buying it.

After the alpha I honestly couldn't be more excited for the game. I didn't want to stop playing multiplayer and finding different weapons. I can't wait to join up with mates for some actually co operative play on strikes. Plus the world is begging to be filled with loot in all the off the path places. I want to explore and see all the beautiful sights I'm sure bungie has created. I want to also have some proper background to the story so I know what the hell is going on haha

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Interest level 0/10 and you pick up an Alpha for a game? Read above, there is nothing personal about it.

mine was a 1/10 because i dont really play competitive fps games, but it took all of 2 minutes to click and download it. i was hung over and wanted something new to try on my ps4, why are you so hung up over this lol

Hollycat

Before Alpha, I was expecting borderlands but more serious.
Now I'm expecting boring shooter with terrible voice acting and samey enemies.

From 6/10 possible buy in the first few months
to 2/10 bargain bin maybe.

Cornbread78

I think before I was intrigued, and was at about a 5/10, and I didn't get much time to play it at all, but just turning it creatign my character, and shootign at a few guys, I now know I'm going to spend a LOT of time playing the game in the future because something just clicked... I'll have to get into the BETA and give it more time, but first impressions were really good for this game.

Before 5/10

After: 8/10

Dubz

Before 7/10

After 10/10

I wish I could change my PSN name to Moon Wizard...I can't get enough Moon Wizard.

LaB_NL

Before 5/10
After 9/10

Looked like another shooter, played damn fine.
Nice mix between Halo's gameplay, Mass Effect's ehm...vibe, Border Lands Questing and *insert hack 'n slasher*'s looting.

Loved it.

Gojeran

Before 8/10

After 11/10

Had an amazing time playing with a few friends of mine. Been awhile since I have enjoyed gaming as much as I did this past weekend. Thanks for the Alpha Bungie.

I feel this is the type of game that you have to pick up day 1 or you'll be left behind in the dust by superior players and equipment (if you do PVP)

before: 6/10 was interested but still kind of holding back

after: 8/10 really had tons of fun with it, the game is super addicting and i can see myself playing it quite often

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
1. Before the alpha, I was kinda insecure about oDestiny. My interest level was: 7/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny has been better than my initial level. My interest level is post-Destiny play thru 9/10.

whateverblah

Neo Member
It amazes me how many people thought Destiny was a 0 or 1/10, yet were interested enough to get into an Alpha test for the game. Then proceeded by giving the game a high score.

With some exceptions*, you're either irrational enough to waste your time on an Alpha for a game you think is probably a 0/10, or more likely you're lying by overly exaggerating your "before" score.

Such as having nothing better to do with your time than spending it on a game that gave you a horrible impression (0/10)... You know what, even this exception doesn't sound very rational.

Ahh, so you can read people's minds now. OK, got it.

gatti-man

Before alpha I was a 4/10 game looked generic and I was afraid the mechanics would also be generic.

Post alpha my interest is a 7/10. Combat mechanics are generic and repeated, art is ok if you like halo style. But what surprised me was the fun Co op.

I really wish it had better mechanics like titanfall. That would be truly amazing. I think a lot of these 10/10 posts haven't played titanfall yet. Once you play that it elevates the standard for fps mechanics imho.

anddo0

Before- 8/10...looked fun and interesting
After- 10/10... Cemented itself as a day one purchase. The game won't reinvent the wheel. But, it's fun and exactly the type of FPS I like to play.

Metra

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny…
I was skeptical about this game. In short, my main worries were: balance, in a online-oriented game (solo vs. squad, PvP vs. exploration/campaign), and; cash/real money, in a loot-dependent system (cash/pay-to-win "threat"). My interest level was 4/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny…
I enjoyed the alpha. Gameplay is fun and solid, and I think that the game is balanced enough, to the point that I could still enjoy most of the content, without the need of a squad (even in "boss events"). Also, you're not forced to play PvP, in order to progress in the game (as far as I can tell, at least). My worry about the "cash threat" still stands, but I trust Bungie as a developer. My interest level, after the alpha, is 8/10.

Before it was probably around 3 or 4 out of 10. None of the footage that they showed off led me to believe I'd even get into it at all. Plus I'm not big on console FPS's to begin with because I will always prefer them on PC.

After Giant Bomb's Unfinished video and playing the Alpha myself my interest bumped up to 6 out of 10. I love the exploration aspect (FUUUUCK those "???" monsters) and I enjoy just wandering around and getting lost. I liked how the areas weren't locked away by level and how you can pretty much go into any area, but the game basically goes "Well these monsters may or may not be a higher level than you. Good luck!" Reminds me a bit of Ultima for some reason. The game is what I wanted out of Borderlands, and Borderlands did not deliver. Destiny is terrifying to me because I just from playing 5 hours I knew that I could get REALLY into it.

The only reason it isn't like a 9/10 is because it's a console shooter and it suffers from the typical things that prevents me from enjoying one. It's mainly just this fucking low FOV and the fact I prefer a Mouse and Keyboard for FPS's. I doubt we'll get a PC version though because the game seems to be made in favour of console gamers with the way the gunplay is (it's basically Halo but that didn't stop the Halo 1 and 2 PC ports).

It's a really good game. But I wish it was on PC. I will never not be salty about this.

Ricker

Rather than using numbers, I decided to write a song about how the Alpha made me feel

Moon Wizard, flying in the sky
I'm shooting you in style some day
Oh, loot maker, you heart breaker
Wherever you're dropping, I'm looting it today

We're after the same bulletsponge, waiting, round the bend

Moon Wizard, blasted little fly
I'm shooting you in style today
Oh, goddamnit, bruv
You dropped that same glove, that's just so fucking lame

We're after that same bulletsponge, waiting, round the bend

No but seriously, all it had to do was prove it didn't play like Borderlands to restore my initial interest.

Haha,not bad....reminds me of this:

He was the wizard of a thousand kings
And I chanced to meet him one night wandering
He told me tales, and he drank my wine
Me and my magic man kinda feelin' fine

He had a cloak of gold and eyes of fire
And as he spoke, I felt a deep desire
To free the world from it's fear and pain
And help the people to feel free again

Why don't we listen to the voices in our hearts
'Cause then I know we'd find that we're not so far apart
Everybody's got to be happy, everyone should sing
For we know the joy of life, the peace that love can bring

So spoke the wizard in his mountain home
The vision of his wisdom means we'll never be alone
And I will dream of my magic night
And the million silver stars that guide me with their light

;)

Can't wait to see the results,seems like a huge change for the better because of the Alpha...maybe thats why they are keeping it going lol...

Forsete

Before: 4-5/10
After: 10/10

The game looked interesting, perhaps a tad boring. I have never been a huge fan of Bungie (never owned an Xbox, but I have played the PC versions).
The Alpha totally blew me away though, and I have already pre-ordered the game.
So much fun, the singleplayer co-op will be a joy to play together with others. And I am looking forward to learning more about the story.

So thank you Microsoft for setting Bungie free. :p

vrln

Neo Member
1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny… 5/10. Somewhat interested just because I liked Halo, but pretty generic looking and I was unsure if the gameplay was any fun.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny… 9/10. Day one buy, great classic Halo gameplay with MMO/Diablo elements and above all it´s just fun. Great presentation and art direction too. Odd how the art feels awesome when you´re playing the game, but generic in screenshots and trailers. Hopefully the X1 version is close in parity though, I can´t stand the DS4 analog sticks for FPS games so I´m definitely going for the X1 version.

More polished in alpha phase than some AAA game release versions. Keep up the good work, Bungie!

I feel like I didnt know what kind of game this was before playing it. I really enjoyed my time with it and I will totally buy it now.

They should make the beta open to the non pre ordering public for its final days because I bet I was not alone with this opinion.

Compbros

Before I considered buying it but I'm not heavy on FPS games so 4/10.

After I was really enjoying myself even on the small alpha and it rose to 8/10.

SGRX

Before: 5/10

I planned on picking it up, mainly because it gave me something I could play with friends on the PS4 and looked to be a serviceable if unexceptional game.

After: 8/10

I enjoyed the alpha much more than I expected to (especially since I've never been that into Halo), and am now eagerly looking forward to beta and release.

I'm revising my previous statement. Now that I've played the alpha some more, I'm 90% convinced I will buy and even pre-order the game. I can't do it right now due to my financial situation but I might do it in the coming days/weeks

Before: An 8 at the highest, 7 after seeing the second reveal trailer.

After: about 8.5. Seems like it has a lot of potential but I really hope they expand the environments a bit.

JP

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was "that it was decent but I wasn't quite convinced by it". My interest level was 5/10.
  2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny "shot up quicker than a middle aged meth whore after a Walmart lotto win". My interest level is now 9/10. "It's wrinkly pox riddled ass is now ordered on PSN"

hypotc

1. Before the alpha: I thought Destiny looked alright, I didn't really care much about it. Won an alpha code in a contest on the Official Norwgian Playstation page on Facebook, and got somewhat hyped to see what the fuss was all about, though.
My interest level was: 3/10

2. After having played the alpha: I have 19 hours clocked on my hunter alone, I am really loving it so far. Can't wait for the beta and final release!
My interest level is now: 10/10

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was that it would be a fun shooter, with rpg elements similar to borderlands. Since I loved borderlands, I was hype.. My interest level was: 8/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny went up! It had solid mechanics, I could see how progression in this game would be a lot of fun (WHAT I WOULD NOT HAVE DONE FOR A RARE THAT WAS LEVEL 8!), and how the different play 'modes' would cover a lot of peoples needs and wants, and would cover many of my 'moods'. My interest level is now: 10/10.

Slixshot

Banned
1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny…a mixed bag. I knew it would be good because the guys who made Halo are making it but I had no idea what the hell it was. My interest level was: 6/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny…is that it's SO DAMN GOOD. It's got the best of Halo in the gameplay, looks brilliant, appears to have an extensive universe from the get go, and has amazing music.. My interest level is now: 9/10.

Before - 4/10, didn't really read up much on the game although I did pre-order it on amazon for the beta access so I was at least that interested

After - 10/10, I cannot stop thinking about it and I need more.

It has been a long time since I've had a game cause me to lose track of time and play until the early morning hours. PSO or CS 1.6 were probably the last games that gave me that type of experience.

I miss my guardian already.

Vespene

Before: 7/10 I'm over loot games. There was more to it than just loot though... Was hyped for the world building.

After: 6/10 Turns out there wasn't much more than that. World doesn't feel like natural environment... more like a theme park.

Such cold, hard numbers.

I'd say it's not as ambitious as promoted, but will find a core following over the next few years. I wouldn't expect a 10 year life cycle as hyped by Bungie though.

subrock

1. Before the alpha, my impression of Destiny was pretty good. It was one of the primary reasons I got a PS4 and I'll likely buy it day 1. My interest level was: 9/10.

2. After having played the alpha, my impression of Destiny is largely the same. I'm hoping some of the gameplay in the alpha was just short-circuited for the purposes of testing (ie. spawn frequency, not really any other players around). I had a really fun time with it and I'll still buy the game day 1. My interest level is now: 9/10.

Top Bottom