• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

I don't know how to feel about this, because I played through earth in a little more than an hour. Multiplied by 5... hmm.
This is the first time I really want to have expansions for a game, whether they are free or not.

Tekku

Seems like this is it.

6nX.jpg

What's the Vanguard icon?

LTWheels

I expect that if you remove the menu based navigation, and stitched all the missions together, like a traditional single player game, the length will probably between 8-15 hours.

Increasing the games length would come from replaying areas on different difficulty levels and grinding for loot.

When I look at all the other games coming out this fall, I have to ask myself "Do I really want to be running THE EXACT SAME Destiny strike missions over and over and over and over...again?"

The answer is simple: No!!!

I'm really looking forward to all those AAA games with procedurally-generated content that are coming out this fall too, bro.

grimmiq

I'll be keeping my pre-order, but if the game is lacking in content and I don't think the expansions are worth it, I'll just move onto something else after a couple of months.

I'm a loot whore player, PvE will keep me busy until I get full Legendaries with full unlocks on all 3 classes as well as maxed factions which will probably be no less than 100 hours of semi-efficient grinding, plus it's the first FPS I've really enjoyed PvP since Quake 2 (Still remember running around with my Starscream skin.)

I've paid more for much less and much worse.

this was expected- im sure that there wil be more missions/strikes on the planets than the betas 5

plus did you play the moon? that place was monstrous.
from the surface to the depths fighting Ogres= I had a blast.

Is the Digital Guardian Edition limited to pre-orders only? Because if it's not I think I might cancel my pre-order and wait for reviews.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Because other areas of the game are severely lacking. The missions are short and shallow, and initially there appears to be very little variety. The locations change but the gameplay stays the same.

The missions have no real start and seem to just fade out. The story appears to be basic at best and seems to mostly be presented through the ghosts poorly voiced narration.

We got a hint of something sprightly by wresting happening at the end of the moon mission. However I can't see anything interesting come of it becasue all we would be doing is defending old Russia again.

You have seen four missions. Four of them in one area. Extremely limited character progression. Very little emphasis on story.

We've basically seen the tutorial area, not the entire game. Come on.

Nameless

Maybe I have low standards, but beta content x 5 seems like plenty for the vanilla version. With a decent amount of time logged I'm still finding new areas and events in Old Russia even with chunks of the level blocked off.

doomquake

Russia...with ackward, google translated writings on the wall. Cheesy and lame.

Although my main gripe is beaming down into a level 2 area all the time when i want to go into higher level quests. Have to drive and run, wasting time.

Oh okay, so the full game that is probably being touted as one of the most ambitious games ever, has the same amount of content as an expansion. Well then, who am I to complain.

Though even that is actually false as fuck. WoW expansion normally launch with 6-7 new zones, all of which are bigger and more open than what we've seen so far from Destiny. 7-9 new dungeons ( 4 strike locations known so far, maybe 6 total if mars have 2 ). 2-3 new raids, again, more than the 1 of Destiny.

Is Blizzard making WoW from scratch with every expansion, though? No, they're just adding stuff. Bungie made the whole game and it already has all this content comparable to a new WoW expansion, which is definitely not just new zones and dungeons, and all these modes, and all these quality of life things that took WoW years to get

Future

I expect that if you remove the menu based navigation, and stitched all the missions together, like a traditional single player game, the length will probably between 8-15 hours.

Increasing the games length would come from replaying areas on different difficulty levels and grinding for loot.

This is key. I played through 2 difficulty levels per area. If there are more I will probably do those too. If there aren't a lot of areas, then they better be very replayable. Loot drops alone make them replayable as long as you are into the loot

There are still a lot of old Russia areas still not fully explored. I remember ending up in some odd areas of the map where I just insta died at a death trigger cuz I was going too far off the path... Which seemed like a alpha / beta restriction only.

I wonder what the average playtime for beta content only was, with only some of old Russia and a few pvp areas and modes. I must have played at least 10+ hours.

DSN2K

Is Blizzard making WoW from scratch with every expansion, though? No, they're just adding stuff. Bungie made the whole game and it already has all this content comparable to a new WoW expansion, which is definitely not just new zones and dungeons, and all these modes, and all these quality of life things that took WoW years to get

your forgetting base WoW is massive regardless of expansions. You dont even need to touch expansions and you will clock 150 hours easy.

dancmc

All I got out of their marketing is that they're presenting Destiny as a social FPS with light MMO elements and a few planets to "explore". It's still just a console FPS from the developers of Halo.

I doubt they'd go all-in on a new IP that's cross-gen.

People dreamed a little bigger with Activision publishing a console FPS that's cross-gen?

Call some of us naive. But I expected more of Bungie. Not Activision

Trickster

You have seen four missions. Four of them in one area. Extremely limited character progression. Very little emphasis on story.

We've basically seen the tutorial area, not the entire game. Come on.

That "one area" represent 25% of the areas in the game apparently, that's not just a tutorial area even if you say it is

The tutorial part was the part between getting resurected and getting back to the tower.

Ade

your forgetting base WoW is massive regardless of expansions. You dont even need to touch expansions and you will clock 150 hours easy.

For a fair comparison, you need to go back to Vanilla launch WoW.

Which was rather more desolate.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Eh Destiny is the same price as gw2 likely had a far bigger budget than gw2 and will probably have a magnitude less of content than gw2. (ignoring that a large amounts of gw2 content isn't static events). Let's not play the compare to mmo game. It will always come up short. It's not what people were expecting anyway.

Well that kind of sucks. :(

The one thing people aren't taking into account is that the Old Russia that's in the beta has many areas that are gated, either by high level enemies, or just by locked off doors. Hopefully the version that's in the full game is much much larger.

I went past the high level enemies....you just end up on the other side of the map, where the stranded boats are

Eh Destiny is the same price as gw2 likely had a far bigger budget than gw2 and will probably have a magnitude less of content than gw2. (ignoring that a large amounts of gw2 content isn't static events). Let's lot play the compare to mmo game. It will always come up short. It's not what people were expecting anyway.

Maybe thats why they dont call it an MMO but shared world shooter?

Ade

I was there, Game was huge then.

You sure, because it was huge only by virtue of walking across almost empty maps to get any where.

Perhaps we have different standards, but launch wow was only big and time consuming as a result of tedious travel and grindy design choices.

jacobeid

Banned
The game already seems highly derivative. Now that we know that it's not nearly as vast as most of us would have liked, I feel even more justified in canceling my pre-order yesterday.

Maybe for $30-$40.

I know what launch WoW was like and I think the expansions had a lot more content than that. WoW launched without battlegrounds, 1 raid, zones with nothing in them, ect. A lot of vanilla's content came in patches.

This seems really generous. The missions in the beta were like 10-15 min each. If there's the same amount of missions per planet and there's only 4/5 planets that's not even your 8 hour minimum.

For a fair comparison, you need to go back to Vanilla launch WoW.

Which was rather more desolate.

I hate this argument. So, so much hate.

You know what? I'm gonna release a new smart phone and OS on the market! And when people complain that it isn't feature rich, that the app store isn't robust, and that it lacks half the features most other phones have, I'll tell them they're all being unfair and should compare my new smart phone to the original iPhone model.

Future

Were people thinking that a non subscription based FPS was gonna give you 150 hours of unique content??????

funkypie

Banned
One area per planet is what I already expected.

Here is the full map of Venus:
destinyd9py9.jpg

7 campaign missions
2 strikes
1 raid
Free roam

If they repeat this on all other places [Earth, Moon, Mars], we will have a lot of content on our hands. And who knows what will be on Reef [probably some end-game stuff].

More than enough content IMO.

apart from the strikes, the missions last for less than 5 minutes. thats the problem.

Ade

I hate this argument. So, so much hate.

You know what? I'm gonna release a new smart phone and OS on the market! And when people complain that it isn't feature rich, that the app store isn't robust, and that it lacks half the features most other phones have, I'll tell them they're all being unfair and should compare my new smart phone to the original iPhone model.

Not quite the point that was getting made, but hate away.

Tekku

Of all places on earth they pick russia? Really? What about australia or chin etc etc...

They most likely picked Russia because of the famous Cosmodrome. It makes for an interesting place to explore, considering the narrative.

AHA-Lambda

-10 year plan for the franchise
-500m for the whole franchise

No wonder why people are knee-jerking since it seems like none of them have a clue what's going on in the first place or misinterpret facts to suit their un-achievable expectations.

Yes, I know its for the whole franchise, my point still stands as that is a heavy commitment on the part of Activision.

Who said this would be an MMO? Bungie said it wanted to blend certain MMO aspects, such as the Tower which is a hub where players gather to purchase and craft equipment, take on bounties. There's even an interact feature for players to inspect other players, to have them join your Fireteam and all that.

It's just a Sci Fi FPS with loot, light MMO elements and your standard PVP modes.

I know Bungie have never stated explicitly that it's an MMO, but a "shared world shooter", but this idea has been propagated somewhere cos the press are still calling this an MMO.

As for the description you've given that just sounds like Borderlands but with "light MMO elements".

Top Bottom