• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT5| New patch out Tues., Master Rahool reportedly crying into his robes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Item Box

It's a shame so little play as Titan's defender subclass.

Ward of Dawn with Armor of Light upgrade and rechargeable force barrier

XcjjlO6.gif

easy control/salvage wins

X-Frame

Yeah, I've got both my Titan builds maxed out, just need a helmet I can equip whenever I'm rocking my Defender. My current setup is optimized for Striker.

Waiting for the Helm of Saint-14 like myself?

I have the Defender gauntlets which are more suited for PvP. I want the helm for Strikes though the exotic chest from Xur most recently may be one of the best for team play. I didn't have enough for it, will have to rely on a drop.

Hmm, I just saw a lot of people saying it was kind of 'meh' and there were better legendary hand cannons out there.

The best we did on that last challenge was getting that Xyor guy to appear but barely put a dent in him before we all bit it. So frustrating.

It's definitely not better than The Last Word and probably worse than the Hawkmoon too.

realcZk

Can't watch at work, but will later. I felt like a idiot yesterday while trying to get through that section.

He jumps up really high and does the striker super with death from above (aiming) to land it. I wonder if this is also possible with a high thrust and a melee burst.

Bizazedo

Titans are excellent for PvE but come up short in PvP. I'm a Titan and that's what I have felt. My subclasses are setup great for PvE stuff but in team play outside of Control, I'm forced to just play smart 100% of the time. Especially since im speced for heavy Melee regen and Melee is a last resort in PVP.

Question on that as I am preparing any day now to begin my quest for a melee / shotgun Titan build. What / how did you do it?

I am thinking Striker, Skullfort helm that overemphasizes melee as well as melee attack speed +, as well as "Juggernaut" skill in the tree. Either that or Defender.

Waiting for the Helm of Saint-14 like myself?

I have the Defender gauntlets which are more suited for PvP. I want the helm for Strikes though the exotic chest from Xur most recently may be one of the best for team play. I didn't have enough for it, will have to rely on a drop.

That would be preferable, but in the mean time I'll just save up for a Vanguard helm. :lol

Already got the Helm of Inmost Light equipped on my Striker and also have the Crest of Alpha Lupi, so I can mix and match if I choose.

E92 M3

Giantbomb has a great article about the Fear of Missing Out on social aspects of games. I've been talking about this for a while and with Destiny, I don't want to miss a day due to possibly missing something cool or getting behind my friends.

Thorn is one of the best, if not the best handcannon in PvP atm. And it will get a buff according to Bungie so there's no reason not to get it. Totally worth it imo. And the challenge is fun with a couple of friends.

I dunno if it's the best, but it is really good. Thorn is a lot better than people make it out to be. Sure it doesn't have as high an impact as a Big Chief, but the DoT makes up for it. Slow reload and small ammo count are what hurts, but if you play smart and don't run around on you own (stick with your team), you can do fine. Hopefully they address the reload time when they buff it.

So basically the majority is running the first subclass you can unlock. That certainly isn't reflective of higher level players.

the whole right side of that particular graph is nearly useless considering that you can switch subclasses on the fly. all it really shows is that most people may be under level 15.

If anyone is organising a raid, me and a friend, both Hunters level 28 and 27 would be keen to join in about an hours time. Otherwise we might start a party see who's keen :) Trying to get people some raid gear before the reset.

PS4: davidbloop

RedFury

The thing here is Sunsingers don't have OHKOs save for fusion grenades.

Gunslingers just have to shoot a gun like they've been doing the whole game.

Bladedancers just R1/R2 anywhere to kill.
It's dumb to just mash r1/r2 because you loose it faster. It's best to blink to them because they have a hard time getting a fix on your location. I don't think blade dancer is OP, but I will say a skilled player with blade dancer & blink is OP(I think my highest kill streak was 24-25)... But so is every other class. I kill lots of blade dancers running up to me, I find myself saying "haha idiot" because they act like it's an easy button. I start the engagement with a area denial grenade as I start hitting the with my weapon kitting(warlock). They either don't even make it to me or the funniest is when they start to retreat and walk backwards into their fiery death. Also blink is an effective way to by more time. You know where your blinking to they don't.

Tawpgun

Giantbomb has a great article about the Fear of Missing Out on social aspects of games. I've been talking about this for a while and with Destiny, I don't want to miss a day due to possibly missing something cool or getting behind my friends.

This FOMO thing could have been exploited by Bungie more if they added new things to the world everyday. Like a brand new area where two races are fighting each other, or a new public event, or something.

Was kinda hoping for a more living breathing dynamic world

E92 M3

im sure he hung those up after landing. lol is this a real question?

It is a real question lol. And I thought about him hanging it up later, but that sounds like a complete hassle. And hassle is something that doesn't exist in scifi.

This FOMO thing could have been exploited by Bungie more if they added new things to the world everyday. Like a brand new area where two races are fighting each other, or a new public event, or something.

Was kinda hoping for a more living breathing dynamic world

Public events were supposed to be like that, but they seemed to have really taken the scale down a notch. Remember how they demonstrated public events at E3 2013?

No really...Hunters are rather weak and their specials aren't that great in the broad spectrum. I am a hunter and can't say the amount of times I've killed blade dancers trying to kill me. Hunters being OP is just a popular mantra that's repeated without merit.

Playing as a hunter, I cannot agree more. Warlocks can do sooo soo much, they teleport like hunters, can do be area damage with their specials like a titan, can pull up a secondary shield like the titans, spam grenades, revive themselves... and there's more im sure.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

This is why I'm glad I powered through to 28. Now I feel like I can sort of coast for a bit. It sucks, but there's always that fear of falling behind in games like this.

Audible

Banned
Interesting that there aren't more Bladedancers since it seems like I'm constantly being killed by them in close quarters maps.

Is there a significant downside to the armor in that class? Because when the Bladedancer is going it seems like the most OP'd ability in the game.

Titanfall Smash, Voiduken and Sunsinger Ball all kill bladedancers relatively fast. Lots of times where I'm Arc Blading someone and they use their invincibility Supers and kill me in one hit.

Not to mention the incredibly wide AoE for Titanfall and Voiduken; there were many times where I was behind a wall, in a different room and I would still die.

I have legendary boots, helm, chest and gloves. None of them are upgraded very much and I'm still level 25. I assume weapons don't give light and I now need to gather materials to upgrade all these legendaries if I have any hopes of leveling up past 25, right?

Seems like a weird design choice to me, or maybe I'm missing something?

Daemul

It is if you're preventing that bladedancer from getting 3-4 kills.

I have never understood why so many people enter panic mode whenever they see bladedancers, their super is one of the easiest to avoid, as you can see and hear them coming from a mile away, and their overshield isn't anywhere near as strong as the Defenders or Sunsingers.

Stop jumping around like you're Mario in some futile attempt to get away and instead, hold your ground and shoot at them, they can't do shit to you until they get into melee range, unlike the Voidwalker and Striker supers which you can't do shit about due to the excessive AoE. If you don't panic like an idiot, in the worst case scenario you and the bladedancer will end up killing each other.

Honestly, I think someone had it right when they said that the misconception of the bladedancer super being more OP than the Voidwalkers and the Strikers comes from the fact that you actually have time to think and panic when you see a bladedancer running towards you, whilst you just die whenever a Voidwalker or Striker uses their instant win move. I'm thankful that I at least have a chance to fight back when facing a bladedancer lol

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Are some people arguing that Bladedancer isn't OP in Crucible but Sunsinger is?

What?

Bladedancer Super grants a mobility boost, auto-aim-OHK-AOE-melee, damage resistance and third person view.

Sunsinger Super grants regular single-target OHK-melee and fast grenade cooldown ( which isn't even all that useful in Crucible ); no mobility boost, no third person view, no built-in damage resistance

Bladedancer Hunter also has Blink, a Helmet that lets them see the radar while aiming, invisibility and the quickest melee in the game.

Bladedancer is OP.

Maybe I suck at it but I find myself getting killed all the time with arc blade active (and I've killed plenty myself). If you don't activate it at the right time/distance you're screwed.

E92 M3

Playing as a hunter, I cannot agree more. Warlocks can do sooo soo much, they teleport like hunters, can do be area damage with their specials like a titan, can pull up a secondary shield like the titans, spam grenades, revive themselves... and there's more im sure.

Yes, hopefully Bungie sees that in their data and doesn't listen to baseless complaining. Warlocks truly are the most dangerous with their magic.

This is why I'm glad I powered through to 28. Now I feel like I can sort of coast for a bit. It sucks, but there's always that fear of falling behind in games like this.

That's exactly what I did. Take care of the weeklies and dailies and then can just clean stuff up. Though with Halo coming out, I don't know how it will work with my time management.

LiK

It's a shame so little play as Titan's defender subclass.

Ward of Dawn with Armor of Light upgrade and rechargeable force barrier

XcjjlO6.gif

easy control/salvage wins

That's my next upgrade for Ward of Dawn. Taking a while to level it up. Then I'll be using a Defender a lot more in PVP.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I have never understood why so many people enter panic mode whenever they see bladedancers, their super is one of the easiest to avoid, as you can see and hear them coming from a mile away, and their overshield isn't anywhere near as strong as the Defenders or Sunsingers.

Stop jumping around like you're Mario in some futile attempt to get away and instead, hold your ground and shoot at them, they can't do shit to you until they get into melee range, unlike the Voidwalker and Striker supers which you can't do shit about due to the excessive AoE. If you don't panic like an idiot, in the worst case scenario you and the bladedancer will end up killing each other.

Honestly, I think someone had it right when they said that the misconception of the bladedancer super being more OP than the Voidwalkers and the Strikers comes from the fact that you actually have time to think and panic when you see a bladedancer running towards you, whilst you just die whenever a Voidwalker or Striker uses their instant win move.
The melee range for bladedancers is enormous. They practically teleport across the room.

Flo_Evans

I have legendary boots, helm, chest and gloves. None of them are upgraded very much and I'm still level 25. I assume weapons don't give light and I now need to gather materials to upgrade all these legendaries if I have any hopes of leveling up past 25, right?

No thats pretty much it.

That's not how chests work. There will always be a set amount of chests active in an area. If you find one, it will spawn somewhere else. Not immediately, but it doesn't take long at all. There usually seem to be two chests per "area", the trick is finding what they outlined as an area.

So, if you just cannot find a chest, the reason is you don't know all the spawn points. There are a *lot* of spawn points.

Really? I feel like I've tried this and the only thing that respawns are the resource points. I've never had a chest respawn in an area I've cleared without going back to orbit. That's with doing whole loops of the map.

Honestly, I think someone had it right when they said that the misconception of the bladedancer super being more OP than the Voidwalkers and the Strikers comes from the fact that you actually have time to think and panic when you see a bladedancer running towards you, whilst you just die whenever a Voidwalker or Striker uses their instant win move.

I see Titan's miss with FOH a lot lately. It isn't nearly the sure kill Nova Bomb is.

Tawpgun

Trailer from 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dgt-RwBx9Y

It does look like the narrative did change. No mention of the darkness, we see views of Saturn and what looks like the Reef.

If the Narrative did get scrapped I wonder when and if we'll go to these places. We know the reef is confirmed from the DLC stuff, but I wanna go beyond the asteroid belt.

Homeboyd

ITT: My class is underpowered and takes a lot more skill to kill people than your class. You should consider yourself lucky you have it so easy.

Maybe I suck at it but I find myself getting killed all the time with arc blade active (and I've killed plenty myself). If you don't activate it at the right time/distance you're screwed.

This. Understanding when to activate Arc Blade is quite difficult. It's not an "oh shit" button you can press like Fist of Havoc. There's an animation that you go through when activating Arc Blade and if an enemy shoots you at that time you die. If you're too far from someone and can't close the distance you'll likely die.

The melee range for bladedancers is enormous. They practically teleport across the room.

so many ways to kill them, I've died plenty of times in that super. A shotgun shell and a melee attacks down them instantly... oh I wished I could put up a secondary shield at any point of time when im about to die... Don't get me started on that burning melee or the energy drain melee.

This. Understanding when to activate Arc Blade is quite difficult. It's not an "oh shit" button you can press like Fist of Havoc. There's an animation that you go through when activating Arc Blade and if an enemy shoots you at that time you die. If you're too far from someone and can't close the distance you'll likely die.

Quoted for truth.

LiK

People keep saying how easy it is to kill Bladedancers. if that were the case, it wouldn't be used so damn much in PVP.

realcZk

ITT: My class is underpowered and takes a lot more skill to kill people than your class. You should consider yourself lucky you have it so easy.

No one is as powerful as the Cryptarch, too bad he's getting nerfed next patch. Going to be a lot easier to defeat him now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Are some people arguing that Bladedancer isn't OP in Crucible but Sunsinger is?

What?

Bladedancer Super grants a mobility boost, auto-aim-OHK-AOE-melee, damage resistance and third person view.

Sunsinger Super grants regular single-target OHK-melee and fast grenade cooldown ( which isn't even all that useful in Crucible ); no mobility boost, no third person view, no built-in damage resistance

Bladedancer Hunter also has Blink, a Helmet that lets them see the radar while aiming, invisibility and the quickest melee in the game.

Bladedancer is OP.
Sunsinger with Radiant Skin does have damage resistance, plus flame shield, which means being able to take one arc blade hit and then get a melee hit to get the shield, and finish the bladedancer with literally any other attack. grenade spam not being useful in crucible is mindboggling too

Offensively specced sunsinger < bladedancer < Defensively specced sunsinger, this has been my observed experience very consistently.

neither bladedancer nor sunsinger are OP, or really both are OP and can be more or less effective against one another depending on spec.

X-Frame

You need 87 light to get to Level 27. If you level each of your legendary pieces to Light +22 (without the upgrades that require shards) you'd get to 88 light. So you can hit 27 relatively easy.

If you fully level each piece you have with shards to get +27 Light each piece that is 108 light and Level 28, just missing Level 29 by just 1 Light so you need an Exotic piece or Raid gear. Raid and Exotic will top out at +30 Light.

lyrick

Your first two upgrades on each piece of equipment will get you to 22 light on each piece Getting you to level 27, these upgrades only require Planetary Materials {Spinmetal, Helium Filaments, etc}. After that it's all Ascended Shards (+ planetary Materials) which are a BS progression system.

People keep saying how easy it is to kill Bladedancers. if that were the case, it wouldn't be used so damn much in PVP.

I don't think it is easy, just think it's easier than to kill a sunsinger with flame shield spamming grenades at you ... or that can survive an arc blade hit since his armor is made of sunshine.

It's so popular because its fun to use and the "cool" melee / rogue class with a "badass" cloak. It is a powerful class but so are the others. The classes aren't really that far from being balanced, the bigger issues lie in how fast supers charge in general and in certain gun types. Supers could really use some tuning to charge about half as fast in crucible.

If anything gunslinger is the more powerful hunter subclass, particularly with the helmet that gives them an extra golden gun shot.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
so many ways to kill them, I've died plenty of times in that super. A shotgun shell and a melee attacks down them instantly... oh I wished I could put up a secondary shield at any point of time when im about to die... Don't get me started on that burning melee or the energy drain melee.

Quoted for truth.
Last night I stuck one with a fusion grenade and shot him with the Invective and he still didn't go down. I've only managed to kill a bladedancer once as a Sunsinger and that was with two rockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom