• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT5| New patch out Tues., Master Rahool reportedly crying into his robes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know yet what actually enables you to get exotic bounties? I assume its completely random, I've been doing almost every Crucible/Vanguard bounty religiously and I haven't got my first exotic bounty until about 3days of playtime.

One interesting speculation that I've read is you need to be at least Vanguard rank 2 to get some of these bounties, and I had just turned 2 on the same day that I was offered my first exotic bounty selection.

I was halfway into Vanguard rank 1 when I got an Exotic bounty so that's not it

nib95

Banned
I have never understood why so many people enter panic mode whenever they see bladedancers, their super is one of the easiest to avoid, as you can see and hear them coming from a mile away, and their overshield isn't anywhere near as strong as the Defenders or Sunsingers.

Stop jumping around like you're Mario in some futile attempt to get away and instead, hold your ground and shoot at them, they can't do shit to you until they get into melee range, unlike the Voidwalker and Striker supers which you can't do shit about due to the excessive AoE. If you don't panic like an idiot, in the worst case scenario you and the bladedancer will end up killing each other.

Honestly, I think someone had it right when they said that the misconception of the bladedancer super being more OP than the Voidwalkers and the Strikers comes from the fact that you actually have time to think and panic when you see a bladedancer running towards you, whilst you just die whenever a Voidwalker or Striker uses their instant win move. I'm thankful that I at least have a chance to fight back when facing a bladedancer lol

That's nonsense. Countless times I've emptied entire clips in to Blade dancers, even rockets. They've just eaten up the bullets like candy, with it barely impacting their shield let alone their health. On the contrary, I've taken out so many Warlocks and Titans before they've got off their super hit on me. Blade Dancers shield/health is probably about 3 times greater than the others in super.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
You're correct in a way, but the new gear / mods affect how the PvE and the PvP play out. So you can't get that "pure" experience since you have to grind for gear / levels. As a result, it affects the fun.

As someone else mentioned, I'm a bit surprised they don't have a "pure" version of PvP and leave the "anything goes" stuff to Iron Banner. PvP currently is a hybrid and really ignores the fact that exotic weapons/armor can give a pretty big advantage to people.

Ugh. Yes. Its driving me nuts.

Doing the daily once a day gets you 14 per week. Capping your vanguard marks gets you 1.5 pieces of gear you can shard per week, which is worth about 4 shards on average. Another 3 shards for buying Xur's exotic engram and sharding it each week. About 8 average if you can clear the raid weekly. Another 2ish for public event rewards. Total 31 shards per week, give or take, split evenly across energy and shards. Really not that bad, and i even ignored legendary rewards from Crucible, engram drops, etc.

Do we know yet what actually enables you to get exotic bounties? I assume its completely random, I've been doing almost every Crucible/Vanguard bounty religiously and I haven't got my first exotic bounty until about 3days of playtime.

One interesting speculation that I've read is you need to be at least Vanguard rank 2 to get some of these bounties, and I had just turned 2 on the same day that I was offered my first exotic bounty selection.

As of today my Crucible rank is 1, New Monarchy 3, Vanguard 3

Its just random, my coop partner got one on the first day we did any bounties at 20 while still having no rep ranked up and we have both gotten between 3-4 total exotic bounties so far.

What's interesting about these kinds of posts is that, before FPSs had this leveling/grinding/gear element to them, people would play them simply because it was fun. I didn't play counter-strike to grind out new weapons. I played because it was fun. But nowadays, especially with Destiny, lot of folks seem to feel that more is needed. I am personally not a huge fan of Destiny's PvP so if there was no PvE hook for me, I would move on.

That's the thing though.

For Call of Duty, I think one of the reasons that it became so big with it's multiplayer, is the unlock system.

It's something Destiny lacks. You play CoD multiplayer, you can go 'Oh if I reach XX I can unlock the AK47/Killstreak/weapon!' or 'I can unlock this camo for my gun!' It's a tangible goal.

Destiny lacks that. There is no static reward for playing a certain amount of PvP. There is no unlocks. There is only random drops. And I'm sure even the most hardcore PvPer will get pissed off that he's played over 100 matches, and in one match the lowest scoring person gets an exotic over him.

There is no progression for multiplayer. It helps that Call of Duty is fun fast gameplay, and it's satisfying getting killstreaks and seeing killcams of your final kills shown to everyone.

Its just random, my coop partner got one on the first day we did any bounties at 20 while still having no rep ranked up and we have both gotten between 3-4 total exotic bounties so far.

This is another thing that annoys me, and I mentioned above. I've played this game for over 48 hours, done hundreds of bounties, why the hell haven't I gotten an exotic bounty? I read that people have gotten over 3-5 exotic bounties and I get shit? it makes me not even want to play it.

Doing the daily once a day gets you 14 per week. Capping your vanguard marks gets you 1.5 pieces of gear you can shard per week, which is worth about 4 shards on average. Another 3 shards for buying Xur's exotic engram and sharding it each week. About 8 average if you can clear the raid weekly. Another 2ish for public event rewards. Total 31 shards per week, give or take, split evenly across energy and shards. Really not that bad, and i even ignored legendary rewards from Crucible, engram drops, etc.

Ah. Thank you good sir.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
OK. Never thought of that.
This is a significant part of high endgame- once you have legendaries/exotics in all slots, you still need to spend your marks on the regular because there's a 200 max cap. You can of course buy weapons, but especially with multiple characters, often buying a boosts/gauntlets/chest each week and breaking it down for shards is going to be your best bet.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I have never understood why so many people enter panic mode whenever they see bladedancers, their super is one of the easiest to avoid, as you can see and hear them coming from a mile away, and their overshield isn't anywhere near as strong as the Defenders or Sunsingers.

Stop jumping around like you're Mario in some futile attempt to get away and instead, hold your ground and shoot at them, they can't do shit to you until they get into melee range, unlike the Voidwalker and Striker supers which you can't do shit about due to the excessive AoE. If you don't panic like an idiot, in the worst case scenario you and the bladedancer will end up killing each other.

Honestly, I think someone had it right when they said that the misconception of the bladedancer super being more OP than the Voidwalkers and the Strikers comes from the fact that you actually have time to think and panic when you see a bladedancer running towards you, whilst you just die whenever a Voidwalker or Striker uses their instant win move. I'm thankful that I at least have a chance to fight back when facing a bladedancer lol

Gotta call bullshit on this. Hear/see them coming a mile away? I guess you're playing a different game with different maps. Most of the maps I play in this game are quite confined/narrow which leads to domination by a bladedancer (that being me). If a bladedancer pops his super while across the map from you on an open map, like say, the moon map, then of course you can just lay into him.

KJRage

If anyone needs another person for the raid, please add me. I have got to the final boss but could not beat him with the team I was with. PSN: The813Legend

Pimpwerx

I am confirmed that Sunsingers are the most noble class in the game.

Sunsingers are not OP (bladedancer, gunslinger), not baby's first super kill (voidwalker, striker), or teenage mutant ninja turtles (defenders (though defenders are the most noble after sunsinger)).

Sunsinger confirmed for best class.

I'm sorry for everyone who has to go through Voidwalker to get Sunsinger first.

#TeamSunbro #PraiseTheSun #ThisLittleLightOfMine

Thanks to Sunbreakers, Sunsinger is really fun to play. I wanted to use my hunter for pvp, but I'm really enjoying the combo of Sunsinger + Univeral Remote + The Comedian + Sunbreakers. Lots of grenade spam possible. I hope they don't touch Universal Remote's range. It's perfect the way it is, and isn't so OP I can run around without switching weapons. I did finish my Invective bounty last night, and that thing seems like it could be unfair. PEACE.

The bladedancer doesn't seem fair to me, as you have such a large opportunity when used with blink correct your mistake. A titan thing can miss and they're done. But a blade dancer cam jump in, make.several mistakes and still kill and survive.

Bizazedo

As someone else mentioned, I'm a bit surprised they don't have a "pure" version of PvP and leave the "anything goes" stuff to Iron Banner. PvP currently is a hybrid and really ignores the fact that exotic weapons/armor can give a pretty big advantage to people.

Yeah, I posted something similar and I doubt I'm the only one who's really thought of it.

That being said, I've gotten the chance to think about it and I am convinced it's to help the addiction. Since gear / levels DO matter in PvP, that means people feel compelled to farm. It also means all their talk about balanced PvP is bullshit as it's inherently not set up like that and can't by its very nature be balanced....and that's ignoring Iron banner.

bladedancer melee range is the whole map

Haines

Banned
This is a significant part of high endgame- once you have legendaries/exotics in all slots, you still need to spend your marks on the regular because there's a 200 max cap. You can of course buy weapons, but especially with multiple characters, often buying a boosts/gauntlets/chest each week and breaking it down for shards is going to be your best bet.

Yeah I was in fact wondering what I was to do with my vanguard since I had all leg slots filled so I guess my problems have been solved

Thx for the good info guys

Completed Vault of Glass this weekend twice (once just for sport). Got Atheon's Epilogue (Void Autorifle) and Cuirass of the Hezen Lords (Legendary Raid Chest Armor).

Total time for raid was ~2 hours with a good party. But boy was I nervous/excited once all 6 people were ready to go.

The raid was fantastic, and bums me out that most folks will not be able to experience it. There are small tidbits of gameplay that could be toned down and injected into the campaign (which would make the raid a 'beefed up' version of whats already been played). The jumping platform and cave spelunking come to mind, as well as the relic gameplay in general.

Posting one more time for discussion (got buried).

no angel

That's the thing though.

For Call of Duty, I think one of the reasons that it became so big with it's multiplayer, is the unlock system.

It's something Destiny lacks. You play CoD multiplayer, you can go 'Oh if I reach XX I can unlock the AK47/Killstreak/weapon!' or 'I can unlock this camo for my gun!' It's a tangible goal.

Destiny lacks that. There is no static reward for playing a certain amount of PvP. There is no unlocks. There is only random drops. And I'm sure even the most hardcore PvPer will get pissed off that he's played over 100 matches, and in one match the lowest scoring person gets an exotic over him.

Destiny has turned COD's carrot-on-a-stick progression hook and turned it into a ghost of a carrot on a stick which is then stuck to another carrot on another stick.

Bizazedo

Completed Vault of Glass this weekend twice (once just for sport). Got Atheon's Epilogue (Void Autorifle) and Cuirass of the Hezen Lords (Legendary Raid Chest Armor).

Total time for raid was ~2 hours with a good party. But boy was I nervous/excited once all 6 people were ready to go.

The raid was fantastic, and bums me out that most folks will not be able to experience it. There are small tidbits of gameplay that could be toned down and injected into the campaign (which would make the raid a 'beefed up' version of whats already been played). The jumping platform and cave spelunking come to mind, as well as the relic gameplay in general.

Posting one more time for discussion (got buried).

I greatly enjoyed the raid, but mainly due to the people I was with. If the bugs / lag hadn't existed, I would've considered it a fairly easy raid. Only the boss we cheesed (Templar) seemed like a true pain in the ass.

It's definitely a GREAT, no sarcasm, intro raid for people who've never raided, though.

anddo0

Question about raids.

I've been running with a team of guys, we made it to the section right before the final boss, but have it a wall.

Our team consists of me lvl 29, 3 27's, a 25 and a 26...
Are the 25/26 players crippling us?

-griffy-

Banned
What's interesting about these kinds of posts is that, before FPSs had this leveling/grinding/gear element to them, people would play them simply because it was fun. I didn't play counter-strike to grind out new weapons. I played because it was fun. But nowadays, especially with Destiny, lot of folks seem to feel that more is needed. I am personally not a huge fan of Destiny's PvP so if there was no PvE hook for me, I would move on.

It's because Destiny is a persistent world online game to an extent and as such has all the baggage that entails. In any other game with a persistent online world such as this, there is always some other thing you could be doing, whether it's saving money for some epic mount, earning enough currency/rep for that epic PVP gear, running a specific instance for a specific drop, going to zones and finishing the quests you never did because you leveled in the other side of the world, completing achievements, leveling another class, getting new pets, etc etc etc.

Compared to almost any other persistent world online game of the type with similar elements, Destiny just doesn't have nearly as much content or things to do inside its world. There's only three classes, one type of mount that doesn't have any meaningful cosmetic differences, faction gear/weapons are more or less identical barring minor stat differences, virtually no sidequests, no meaningful exploration, etc.

If this was just a first person shooter game people wouldn't really care. They would complete the single player and play the multiplayer. But that's not what Destiny is so trying to compare it to other online shooters isn't really accurate.

Yeah. Guy picked up a Ghost skin in the DLC area and was seemingly banned for it (don't know for certain if that's the reason but)

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheG...meone_has_an_intrusion_shell_for_their_ghost/

Holy crap, that's bull. So he has to pay for Bungies poor coding that allows people to get into the locked away areas? Talk about a literal paywall...

Destiny has turned COD's carrot-on-a-stick progression hook and turned it into a ghost of a carrot on a stick which is then stuck to another carrot on another stick.

That's actually a concise way of putting it. Yeah, Destiny is akin to having Schrodingers-box-on-a-stick that may or may not have something good.
Not good most of the time.

The problem with Destiny is they took the worst aspects of MMO-style PvP and attached it to a shooter. These are the same people who created Halo, which was old school and everyone started the map with the same gun, were otherwise exactly the same, and only got stronger by picking up stuff on the map. I just can't understand what went wrong during the design phase of this game.

bladedancer melee range is the whole map

No it isn't, every lunge uses a chunk of the time they have in the super. If they are lunging across the map they are going to be lucky to get even 1 kill before it expires.

This is precisely the kind of thing that makes me glad that a lot of developers let the meta game in there products develop before nerfing everything people complain about because ever since launch the average amount of kills per Arc Blade has been going down but people still complain like every usage is giving them 5 kills.

People spread out, they run away and jump all over the place, they listen for the activation sound and the hum it produces while active and run from any blip on the radar instantly. Even if someone manages to run / jump away for a couple seconds it is using a huge chunk of the supers activation time to get a single kill and makes it unlikely they will get more.

As a hunter I wish I ran into other hunters more often and ideally blademasters as they are my easiest kill of all the classes. Golden Gun kills me more often then Arc Blade does :l

Item Box

I switched to defender and never looked back. I just upgraded my spartan helmet with the ability that blinds anyone that enters my shield. If I see we're about to be overrun with enemies I'll run into the fray and pop my shield then proceed to karate chop the glimmer out of my blinded foes.
Ah man, you just made me realize how much of a mistake I made by not getting that helmet. I wasn't too happy about strikers getting the flashbang(although supressor is my favorite, its completely situational and useless for PvE.), and that upgrade would've been my alternative to not having a blind.

Instead i spent my coins on this dumb chest that that resses allies faster, and again, is situational.
Crest_of_alpha_lupi-chest.jpg
looks cool though

Bladelaw

Is public event farming for shards a thing or does it make more sense to just do loot mat patrol runs and do them as they happen

Tldr anybody else at 27 and need a ton of shards like me?

I tried doing that this weekend. 12 public events over the course of a day got me 2 asc energy and a mote of light (from the postman). I wouldn't recommend it.

Once the patch drops I'd just do the daily/weekly stuff and shard any junk legendaries you get from that.

JackHerer

Just realized that the rmost important thing for a good pvp sniper is low zoom. I've been using the legendary you get from the Queen's missions but the lowest zoom it has is a mid-range scope. Makes it very cumbersome and removes a level of versatility. I switched to back to a Hieracon-LR5 which has a low-zoom scope and a higher rate of fire and it is much, much better despite it only being a blue.

Sure the legendary Queen sniper does more damage per shot but all that amounts to is you get more clean up kills from body shot. Combined with the lower rate of fire its just not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom