• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Reveal Thread

duckroll

Well.. that is actually is there in the source code. Interesting.

Read my last post! >_<

Websites should do their research before posting crap like that from the source code. That code is part of Activision's default pre-order/buy-now web code. It has components for all systems other than 3DS.

You can see it here too: http://www.callofduty.com/blackops2/buynow

Code:
   ATVI.components.preorder = {
        init: function(form, dataMap) {
            form = $(form);
            var mem = {};
            this.setupPlatformHandler(form, dataMap, mem);
            this.setupRegionHandler(form, dataMap, mem);
            this.setupLinks(form, dataMap, mem);
            this.setBundles(form, dataMap, mem);
            mem.currPlatformObj.click();
        },

setupPlatformHandler: function(form, dataMap, mem) {
            mem.currPlatform = "";
            mem.currPlatformObj = $(form.find(".platform-item")[0]);
            var platformClasses = mem.platformClasses = {
                    pc: "platform-pc",
                    ps3: "platform-ps3",
                    ps4: "platform-ps4",
                    xbox: "platform-xbox",
                    xbox720: "platform-xbox720",
                    wiiu: "platform-wiiu",
                    psvista: "platform-psvita"
            };
            var pci = mem.platformsByClass = {};
            for(var pc in platformClasses) {
                if(platformClasses.hasOwnProperty(pc)) {
                    pci[platformClasses[pc]] = pc;
                }
            }

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
And this was a big reveal, which will generate traffic towards their sites. Meaning $. Was I planning on watching/reading anything on IGN today? Nope. Did I? Yeah, I ended up watching the video stream and reading a couple of their articles. Hardly a waste of time for them if it generates traffic towards them.

Besides the journos not seeing what they felt they should see, I'll wager a guess that they are happy with the event in terms of driving people towards them.

What you actually see as the end product has zero to do with what annoys them. It's the method by which this information was communicated to them. Jeff himself said "I would not have bothered to go had I known this was going to be what they'd show."

Which probably means "Why didn't they just mail us a zip with this stuff in it, instead of taking up a day and a half of our time?"

I'm not channeling them, I'm just guessing that that is what pissed them off.

Jarmel

Banned
Reading through this thread reminds me why developers don't like to show early game footage or screenshots. People rip in to it without any context.

The game sounds awesome so far. It's a little underwhelming but only because so much of it had been leaked already. If this comes out this Fall for next gen systems, it will be hard for me to resist picking one up.

Fine then, why don't they tell us how the damn game works on a mechanical level. We didn't get shit.

Websites should do their research before posting crap like that from the source code. That code is part of Activision's default pre-order/buy-now web code. It has components for all systems other than 3DS.

You can see it here too: http://www.callofduty.com/blackops2/buynow

Code:
   ATVI.components.preorder = {
        init: function(form, dataMap) {
            form = $(form);
            var mem = {};
            this.setupPlatformHandler(form, dataMap, mem);
            this.setupRegionHandler(form, dataMap, mem);
            this.setupLinks(form, dataMap, mem);
            this.setBundles(form, dataMap, mem);
            mem.currPlatformObj.click();
        },

setupPlatformHandler: function(form, dataMap, mem) {
            mem.currPlatform = "";
            mem.currPlatformObj = $(form.find(".platform-item")[0]);
            var platformClasses = mem.platformClasses = {
                    pc: "platform-pc",
                    ps3: "platform-ps3",
                    ps4: "platform-ps4",
                    xbox: "platform-xbox",
                    xbox720: "platform-xbox720",
                    wiiu: "platform-wiiu",
                    psvista: "platform-psvita"
            };
            var pci = mem.platformsByClass = {};
            for(var pc in platformClasses) {
                if(platformClasses.hasOwnProperty(pc)) {
                    pci[platformClasses[pc]] = pc;
                }
            }

Thats good to hear, but I still feel like Bungie could still be biting off more then they can chew with this game(as a former exclusive only developer who focuses on one platform). 360/ps3 and Orbis/Durango is still 4 platforms, and PC is rumored as well.

LtOrange

Releasing the first entry to an incredibly ambitious IP to the huge install base of the current gen makes a whole lot of sense. The next entries in the series should be exclusively next gen. I am really excited for this game and hope it launches on the next Xbox simultaneously with the 360/PS3 versions.

Releasing the first entry to an incredibly ambitious IP to the huge install base of the current gen makes a whole lot of sense. The next entries in the series should be exclusively next gen. I am really excited for this game and hope it launches on the next Xbox simultaneously with the 360/PS3 versions.

yes. The leaked documents suggested this as well.

duckroll

Thats good to hear, but I still feel like Bungie could still be biting off more then they can chew with this game. 360/ps3 and Orbis/Durango is still 4 platforms, and PC is rumored as well.

This is an online game franchise they plan on working on for at least 10 years, across a number of retail expansions and sequels. So I think it goes with the territory.

I'm not sure if you actually understand what I actually posted, so I'll just go ahead and reply "no".
I understood what you posted even before you edited your post to clarify your point. I wonder if you understand my point? They could have stayed at home and met their deadlines writing articles that no cares about that drew a fraction of the traffic to their site. Or they could travel to Bungie for a press junket which allowed them to write an articles that is driving huge traffic to their site (which is the what they want). The fact that they didn't get all the info they wanted is beside the point.

FyreWulff

More of a gimmick than a comfortably practical system in my experience. Plus, that would require a good online system for the Wii, and Nintendo has been so generous with that.

I'm still tormented by friend codes in my sleep.

The Wii U has an account system with no friend codes and the online for games like Black Ops 2 works just like the 360 version.

DTKT

From one of the 7 pillars :

Enjoyable even for the tired, impatient and distracted
Bungie said that a player's mindset when they come into games is that they don't want to work hard or read too much. They want to feel things they don't feel in their otherwise everyday lives. This pillar in particular influenced Bungie to put a huge investment into their UI design. They had to throw out dearly held ideas because it just wouldn't work with all players.

What does that even mean...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I understood what you posted even before you edited your post to clarify your point. I wonder if you understand my point? They could have stayed at home and met their deadlines writing articles that no cares about that drew a fraction of the traffic to their site. Or they could travel to Bungie for a press junket which allowed them to write an articles that is driving huge traffic to their site (which is the what they want). The fact that they didn't get all the info they wanted is beside the point.

I don't think you actually understand what their issue is. They're not complaining that they went. They're complaining that everything that was showed could have been easily communicated in an email with a zip file full of concept art, and could have saved all of them hours of their time with the exact same end result. Read the tweets. That's literally what they said.

Pikma

Banned
From one of the 7 pillars :

What does that even mean...

It means 1 Kill Killstreaks. :p

Also, what the hell happened? I don't get it, is there any kind of trailer available? couldn't find on in the OP and I keep not getting the hype for this.

Battlefield 3 sold 17+million copies.

Halo did not.

Halo is nowhere near "the biggest thing" anymore. CoD, FIFA, LOL, and BF say hi.

Halo is still a billion dollar franchise outside of the games. There's a slew of merchandising that targets different demographics. I believe that is what Bungie referred to in their ViDoc, and not the [rather clear] transition of 'power' among the shooters.

I do understand and agree with your point though. It was probably intentionally worded that way for vanity.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm pretty surprised by the backlash, it's an almost Insomniac/Fuse situation. I'm disappointed we didn't get real gameplay, but people seem to be angry about just about every aspect of this project. It seemed rad to me.

I just really don't like how an all multiplayer game requires you to be online to play it. What ever happened to the days of playing WoW offline with your friends in a different country?

derFeef

I don't think you actually understand what their issue is. They're not complaining that they went. They're complaining that everything that was showed could have been easily communicated in an email with a zip file full of concept art.

Yeah, Jeff Gerstmans comment that the whole day schedule was weird and it seemed like there was something scrapped/pulled is also weird.

RoKKeR

Halo is still a billion dollar franchise outside of the games. There's a slew of merchandising that targets different demographics. I believe that is what Bungie referred to in their ViDoc, and not the [rather clear] transition of 'power' among the shooters.

I do understand and agree with your point though. It was an oddly worded statement probably done just for vanity.
I realize its still massive, yet, but it certainly isn't the king anymore like it was in 2007. But they had quite a bit of time being on top of the world so I don't blame him.

And look at you, venturing over to GAF.

I wouldn't read too much into this........or maybe you should? But on Youtube, the official PlayStation channel has uploaded the ViDoc video on their channel but Microsoft haven't touched it on any of theirs, this includes the main Xbox channel and Major Nelson's channel.

It even has the PS logo on the thumbnail and links to various Bungie and Activision material in the description.

Godslay

Banned
What you actually see as the end product has zero to do with what annoys them. It's the method by which this information was communicated to them. Jeff himself said "I would not have bothered to go had I known this was going to be what they'd show."

Which probably means "Why didn't they just mail us a zip with this stuff in it, instead of taking up a day and a half of our time?"

I'm not channeling them, I'm just guessing that that is what pissed them off.

Well, it sounds like they should have had their expectations in check.

Did they happen to release the vidoc in a downloadable form?

I'm pretty surprised by the backlash, it's an almost Insomniac/Fuse situation. I'm disappointed we didn't get real gameplay, but people seem to be angry about just about every aspect of this project. It seemed rad to me.

I think a lot of the backlash is on the lack of solid info/pics/video released, not necessarily people not liking what Bungie is doing. Mix that with the janky engine footage and people are a little wary.

thetrin

I think it's totally rad in concept, and sounds incredibly ambitious. I just wish they had shown some more of the game. Hopefully we'll see more of the actual gameplay flow in the future.

Well, it sounds like they should have had their expectations in check.

Journalists usually don't get called to a game studio to look at powerpoints and concept art. I'm just saying.

NeededSleep

Wow, i usually don't care for FPS that much. But if its PVE multilayer in new worlds that might sound good.

Question that came to my mind immediately was, why inst this a next gen game? Kinda odd they are marketing it for this generation consoles. Unless that was their Publishers pushing them to maximize their profit for already established user groups.

Honestly though i would of loved to see this launch on next gen. Would really push me towards a sale of a new system. Defiantly will keep an eye on this product now though.

Needless to say more information about this game, Feb 20th coming up, as well as E3 around the corner. Makes me excited to be a gamer again to see fantastic IPs showing off whats in store for us.

I just really don't like how an all multiplayer game requires you to be online to play it. What ever happened to the days of playing WoW offline with your friends in a different country?

that feel when LAN/being away from internet are dying breeds.

Perhaps my biggest issue with Halo 4 atm is the lack of offline Spartan Ops. Might as well be on PC if it's going to be "always online"

Thats good to hear, but I still feel like Bungie could still be biting off more then they can chew with this game(as a former exclusive only developer who focuses on one platform). 360/ps3 and Orbis/Durango is still 4 platforms, and PC is rumored as well.

PS3/360 platform differences may be difficult to port to, but next-gen shouldn't be very difficult given the similarities in base architecture.

RoKKeR

Did they happen to release the vidoc in a downloadable form?

I think a lot of the backlash is on the lack of solid info/pics/video released, not necessarily people not liking what Bungie is doing. Mix that with the janky engine footage and people are a little wary.
The main issue is the lack of detail. Bungie did a lot of talking about their ambitious ideas for this game, but almost zero showing. People were expecting an info/gameplay blowout, and were disappointed we didn't get that. I think we got enough for an initial reveal, and it was certainly more meaty than most game reveals.

I'm really interested to see what they show us next, and when we will see the game again. Wednesday? Doubtful. GameInformer? Possibly. GDC? Assuredly.

Top Bottom