• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Reveal Thread

Fine then, why don't they tell us how the damn game works on a mechanical level. We didn't get shit.
They kind of did though not extremely in depth. Keep in mind this is the reveal. Yes we've known about it forever now unofficially but Bungie just literally confirmed its existence like a month ago. Maybe they should have adjusted the marketing plan based on the leaks but I doubt Bungie really gives a fuck because it's going to get attention anyway. I'd expect something more in depth at E3 anyway.

So does every race/creature in this game wear a helmet? thats going to be pretty boring if true

I mean yea Halo proved that Bungie is good at Helmet design but come on.

Did anyone even read what I quoted?

Here I'll do you guys a favor:

WHOOOOSHH

Figured, joking or not, talking about that was bannable. Ah well.

I'm kind of anticipating more information/footage on the 20th, but I'm afraid to set my expectations anywhere at this point.

"work_in_progress"

Geoff even said that he wouldn't expect it to come out this year, which I find to be interesting.

game's a year way isnt it?

Havent been chipping in here much but I think its looking great, concept-wise more than anything. I dont own a PS3 or 360 so I wont be playing until it hopefully reaches PC, but it looks like the game that bridges that sort of fun "I was playing EVE Online and then someone apparead and this funny story happened!" with actually accesible gameplay. Glad Bungie of all people are the ones behind providing that experience.

Normally I'd undertand. But it's been in development for almost 4 years.....

duckroll

I feel sorry for the journalists who felt like they wasted their weekend preparing for a trip which ultimately turned out to be less of a reveal than they had expected. But I also feel that Bungie has done a pretty good job of communicating what to expect from the game, and for something which might not even be released this year, I have a fairly good idea of what sort of experience they want to deliver, and the art and concept seems rock solid. Will the game actually deliver on the potential? Who knows. But for now I'm interested in the title, and I don't think waiting for more details in the future is going to kill me.

Seems like Bungie has some big crunch time ahead of them.

I would at least like to see some in game screens without all the crappy youtube compression.

Bumhead

Banned
I don't understand the outcry about having to be always online for this game.

It's an online multiplayer game. What's the problem?

loving all the concept art so far.

i hope some gif'd that "my body is ready" text from the GT video lol

wHl.gif

Redford

aka Cabbie
The fact that its not launching on next gen systems combined with this new/old trend of announcing series to be decade-long/part of a new trilogy does not sit well with me at the moment. I get the logistical reasons of why it would release this year/these consoles. But I don't want to be told I'm going to be licking my chops for next-gen after seeing what it can do in this one, because if it falls anywhere near short of the anticipated grandeur, the inertia going into the second game is not going to be the same, at least for myself. Even if it's not deliberate or widespread yet, I don't want this gen to be some sort of test bed for next gen projects.

I don't understand the outcry about having to be always online for this game.

It's an online multiplayer game. What's the problem?

Speaking for myself, I enjoy the convenience of being able to play private custom matches and LAN story modes offline (either when wi-fi isn't around or when the internet is down).

It's just a bit limiting, but it's not like they owe it to us.

The fact that its not on next gen systems combined with this new/old trend of announcing series to be decade-long/part of a new trilogy does not sit well with me at the moment. I get the logistical reasons of why it would release this year/these consoles. But I don't want to be told I'm going to be licking my chops for next-gen after seeing what it can do in this one, because if it falls anywhere near short of the anticipated grandeur, the inertia going into the second game is not going to be the same, at least for myself. Even if it's not deliberate or widespread yet, I don't want this gen to be some sort of test bed for next gen projects.

Where did you here this? Because I'm pretty sure you are wrong.

GhaleonEB

The Polygon preview does the best job really: http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/17/3993058/destiny-bungie-first-look-preview

If it's too long, just read the bullet points throughout.

Shared with other people. "Everything that’s fun to do is more fun with other people," Jones says. "Even if you do play solo — which is a totally valid way to play — you’re going to see other people in your game."
Officially nervous. I want to be able to play single player content and not have other people around. Because often, I just want to soak up the world or go about a very specific plan I might have, and not have anyone else involved.

Obviously I don't know what that means, just seeing other people in the game, or how it will affect what I do. But conceptually, I would like to see a wall between my single player sessions and when I want to go and be with other people. This sounds like they're working to remove those walls.

Meelow

Banned
There was a chain chomp under a monitor too. I'm thinking these were not coincidences.

Where? Lol.

So I don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but my friend found on the destiny webpage source code that not only will the game be cross gen, but it could potentially hit the Wii U and vita as well.
DestinySource1.jpg

You can check out his write up on his site, http://www.eggplante.com/2013/02/17/destiny-coming-to-ps4-xbox-720-vita-wii-u-says-bungie-web-source-code/

If this is true the next Xbox will be called Xbox 720 and isn't this supposed to be an only console mmo? Handhelds wouldn't make much sense...But than again if it's coming to PC.

I will only believe there is a PS3/360 version until other versions are announced.

B.O.O.M

tbh the whole thing was underwhelming. Concept art and enemy designs were good. Lore was good too, very interesting. Visuals were a bit meh..but that's not my issue. It feels like two people did the character designs or something. The playable class designs look so..boring. It's like a Hellgate London/Halo-ish design.

Didn't show much gameplay after all that build up. What was shown looked rather meh too.

SgtCobra

Please don´t tell me they´re gonna call the new Xbox Xbox 720 :\
A Wii U + Vita release seems pretty surprising.

EDIT: If that stuff happens to be true..

RoKKeR

Another thing to keep in mind about this reveal is that, technically, Destiny didn't exist until last week. For the first time seeing a game, we got a lot of information. A lot more than we did for Cyberpunk 2077, as an example.

Jburton

Banned
I wouldn't read too much into this........or maybe you should? But on Youtube, the official PlayStation channel has uploaded the ViDoc video on their channel but Microsoft haven't touched it on any of theirs, this includes the main Xbox channel and Major Nelson's channel.

It even has the PS logo on the thumbnail and links to various Bungie and Activision material in the description.

PS4 version shown on Wednesday?

Hype!

duckroll

So I don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but my friend found on the destiny webpage source code that not only will the game be cross gen, but it could potentially hit the Wii U and vita as well.

You can check out his write up on his site

Tell your buddy to do better research before asking you to come here to pimp his shitty ass site. :)

Dissapointing indeed, nothing beside the setting was shown, tho I think Jeff Gerstman maybe right about a decent possibility that Sony may show more of a normal trailer at the event, it'd be great timing for bungie

Meelow

Banned
I wouldn't read too much into this........or maybe you should? But on Youtube, the official PlayStation channel has uploaded the ViDoc video on their channel but Microsoft haven't touched it on any of theirs, this includes the main Xbox channel and Major Nelson's channel.

It even has the PS logo on the thumbnail and links to various Bungie and Activision material in the description.

"From the creators of Halo® and the publisher of Call of Duty®, comes Destiny™, an epic, action-packed adventure unlike anything players have experienced."

I'm more shocked they put Halo into their description.

Would be interesting if the PS4 version is shown on Wednesday.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Love the artwork they're generating for this. Not particularly bothered by vagueness at this time. Take the time, get it right, sounds like a fabulous concept.

FStop7

Banned
Officially nervous. I want to be able to play single player content and not have other people around. Because often, I just want to soak up the world or go about a very specific plan I might have, and not have anyone else involved.

Obviously I don't know what that means, just seeing other people in the game, or how it will affect what I do. But conceptually, I would like to see a wall between my single player sessions and when I want to go and be with other people. This sounds like they're working to remove those walls.

I'm envisioning a world of griefers. These are very high minded and idealistic approaches but the reality is that people are assholes.

Disappointing reveal. Would have liked to see more than characters just running.

It's more of a game concept reveal rather than a gameplay reveal. This is a new IP, a new universe. (their first in like 10+ years) Baby steps. This was all about getting people on the same page with what exactly the game is... without actually showing said game lol, they still have GDC, E3, and Bungie Day coming up.

King_Moc

Banned
"From the creators of Halo® and the publisher of Call of Duty®, comes Destiny™, an epic, action-packed adventure unlike anything players have experienced."

I'm more shocked they put Halo into their description.

Would be interesting if the PS4 version is shown on Wednesday.

Probably part of the deal when they left Microsoft. Bohemia Interactive got a similar deal from Codemasters where they could put "From the makers of Operation Flashpoint on ARMA". Though they probably regret that now after what Codemasters did to the series afterwards.

Top Bottom