• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Rise of Iron Review Thread

Clunker

locking some patrols behind spliced key gates is bullshit.

When a player carrying an axe dies the axe should be flung 10 feet in a random direction. This message brought to you by the council of not being able to resurrect people in Archons Forge.
If you're referring to the one that takes you down by where the last RoI story mission is, that's the patrol that starts the new Gjallarhorn questline.

This extension is alright. It's not as good as TTK.

It's much lighter on content and relies HEAVLY on recycling. Hell, even Raid Weapons are lazy grey reskins of basics guns... while TTK had exclusive brand new unique designs for both normal and hard mode gear.

But gameplay is still god tier, enemy designer, encounter design and art direction are still stellar... So yeah, I see myself playing this for a lot of time even if it's not as good as TTK

darkwing

This extension is alright. It's not as good as TTK.

It's much lighter on content and relies HEAVLY on recycling. Hell, even Raid Weapons are lazy grey reskins of basics guns... while TTK had exclusive brand new unique designs for both normal and hard mode gear.

But gameplay is still god tier, enemy designer, encounter design and art direction are still stellar... So yeah, I see myself playing this for a lot of time even if it's not as good as TTK

uh about those raid weapons....

uh about those raid weapons....

What ? They took basic Suros, Omolon weapons, painted them greyish and added two bits of SIVA shit on top... such work, wow, amazing... It's very disapointing... at least the raid armor look good.

tumblr_obcqx0QaVo1v2xbymo1_1280.jpg

It's simple minimalistic but since day one, I was fond of this Rasputin, carbon like, angular design.

benzopil

GameReactor 7/10
http://www.gamereactor.eu/reviews/467863/Destiny+Rise+of+Iron/

In summary, Rise of Iron is on the whole a genuine disappointment, though it's not without redeeming moments. It panders very well to the existing community of players, providing a to-do list of grind-worthy events that will occupy each week before reset. But with players already conquering the new raid in record times, and reaching the max light-level cap inside of a few days owing to a system that's easy to exploit, it's tough to imagine all but the most dedicated players continuing beyond a couple of months. Somehow this already feels like the end of the road for Destiny before the true sequel. Having said that, it remains a road well worth travelling for the unique, unifying experience that it offers. Destiny continues to be a one-of-a-kind monument to what Bungie does best.

darkwing

What ? They took basic Suros, Omolon weapons, painted them greyish and added two bits of SIVA shit on top... such work, wow, amazing... It's very disapointing... at least the raid armor look good.

It's simple minimalistic but since day one, I was fond of this Rasputin, carbon like, angular design.

i thought raid weapons change in appearance when you upgrade them

darkwing

This makes no sense. They're basically saying the hardcore players already depleted the content in a few days, while the only people that will continue to be interested in this game for more than a few days are the hardcore players.

I bet ROI sales will be a surprise, like no.1 for the PSN sales for the month

Draft

If you're referring to the one that takes you down by where the last RoI story mission is, that's the patrol that starts the new Gjallarhorn questline.
That's the one. It's just annoying because patrols are a mindless way to kill time and complete bounties, and this one is impossible without a key. I either need to have a key, farm one up, or abandon the quest. None of those are the mindless time waster I like in patrols.

Did the Raid 3X over the weekend. It's incredible. And clearly the meat & potatoes of this expansion.

Supremecy is awesome and exactly what Destiny needed in terms of a new PvP mode. I am pumped for Trials and Iron Banner to return now.

Forge is a mess still. Hopefully they fix that and make it more like CoO.

Overall, a smaller expansion with some really big highlights. Love Destiny. While I did enjoy the overall arch of TTK more, the new Raid and new PvP mode really make RoI a good drop for me.

benzopil

Hardcore Gamer — 3/5
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2016/09/26/review-destiny-rise-of-iron/227957/

Destiny: Rise of Iron is a big step back from The Taken King. While The Taken King was willing to push Destiny forward with brand new ideas, features, and a ton of new content, Rise of Iron is perfectly fine with recycling what has been run into the ground. Whether that be the mission design that turned so many people against the game back in 2014, the reskinned enemies, or the lack of new Strikes, Rise of Iron feels more like a recycled experience than an entirely new one. That’s not to say Rise of Iron isn’t fun, as the underlying game mechanics that convinced people to stick around for so long are still there, and new Raid is superb enough to keep players going. Those that are already in love with Destiny will no doubt forgive Rise of Iron’s shortcomings and dig into the content, but for those on the sidelines, or are waiting for the right opportunity to fall in love with Destiny, Rise of Iron is a skippable experience that can be overlooked until the inevitable full-on sequel.

Waldini

Did the Raid 3X over the weekend. It's incredible. And clearly the meat & potatoes of this expansion.

Supremecy is awesome and exactly what Destiny needed in terms of a new PvP mode. I am pumped for Trials and Iron Banner to return now.

Forge is a mess still. Hopefully they fix that and make it more like CoO.

Overall, a smaller expansion with some really big highlights. Love Destiny. While I did enjoy the overall arch of TTK more, the new Raid and new PvP mode really make RoI a good drop for me.

Rise of Iron extended the grind many people hated in year 1. Year 2 was much more viable. You had way more options of obtaining gear and you leveled a shit-ton faster.. Don't get me wrong ... you still have plenty of options to obtain gear but thanks to the soft-cap and alot of people not having the sheer amount of time "hardcore-players" have thus creating a gap in players. This means that Iron Banner nor Trials of Osiris can be played by the "regular players" when it launches... well, it can ... but be prepared to get your ass kicked.

Can you imagine what fun it'll be when you (example) as a light-level 350 Guardian go up against someone who is 385? The joy! You want to level up fast? Here! Grind Omnigul because that's soooo much fun,

The grind has returned with a vengeance. Besides ... what fun is there to REDO the same strikes we've been doing for the last 2 year? So far, I'm not impressed with Rise of Iron. The throwback to Y1 and Y2 is present and it tickles my nostalgia-feeling ... but what new stuff does it really bring?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
This makes no sense. They're basically saying the hardcore players already depleted the content in a few days, while the only people that will continue to be interested in this game for more than a few days are the hardcore players.

Makes sense to me. Hardcore players will blow through all the non-raid content in a few days. Less hardcore players it will take longer to get through the story and especially the post story missions as they don't play as much. But those folk mostly don't bother with raid, the slog up to 370 light level etc.

Just weirdly written in the review. More simply, it's probably not worth $30 for most people outside of the hardcore who will do the raid and chase max light levels. Hardcore players who don't raid will blow through the content in a day or two, and while it will last longer for people who play less, it's still pretty thin for $30 compared to the TTK at $40.

At least that's who I take it, though I could be biased as that's my view on the DLC as someone who probably won't bother with the raid. I did Vault of Glass and the TTK raid a couple times each (never got around to Crota) and it's just not worth the hassle of finding a group, hoping I have at least a couple hours of uninterrupted gaming time (which is rare with work, old dogs that need to go out often etc.) so I don't have to rudely abandon a group etc. Just not worth it when you don't need raid gear/higher light levels for anything other than a raid that I'll do once or twice at most.

Destiny 2 will have to do a lot more in the way of offering more quantity and quality of single player/coop story missions for me to stick with the franchise. The gameplay is top notch and I enjoyed my time with Destiny, but the MMO/Raid/Loot focus just doesn't do enough for me to keep playing if that's the main/sole hook. Which is fine as obviously millions of people love it, and not every game has to be for everyone.

Really enjoying Supremecy mode. Not sure how I feel about the expansion overall as I'm still making my way through all the content but I guess it feels like $25-$30 worth of stuff relative to previous Destiny releases.

Falcker

i thought raid weapons change in appearance when you upgrade them
As in when you unlock their upgraded look or do you mean that to get the real raid item art you need to use silver dust from their store...

I joked a year ago that they would soon be giving us normal scout rifles for raid loot and instead sell the touch of malice skin to us on the shop, sad that it's not a joke anymore.

Dynasty8

The expansion is great and I've already got my money's worth. Even if the campaign is short, there is a ton to do.

I've been gaming for over 30 years and to me...Destiny has the best and most satisfying gameplay in any FPS. It's just fun as hell to play. Bungie knows how to create a good time.

Makes me very excited to see what they have going for Destiny 2. I'm okay with them delaying it if that means releasing the game with MORE quality content than what Vanilla Destiny had at launch.

I've been gaming for over 30 years and to me...Destiny has the best and most satisfying gameplay in any FPS. It's just fun as hell to play.

This is pretty indisputable.
Playing Deus Ex, Doom (PC), etc just felt like "That's it?" shooting-wise.

pantsmith

Maybe a weird comparison, but this expansion reminds me of Mass Effect 3's Citadel; its not heavy on content, but whats there is great fanservice and serves to expand and improve on the Destiny content you've spent the last two years playing.

If you like Destiny you will likely get a lot out of the content provided.

They mentioned "Nostalgia" as a key theme of the expansion, but I didn't realize it was especially heavy on the player's end of things too. Ghost's remarks after you create the new
Khvostov
might as well be a thank you straight to the player for loving this game. The "remixed" Sepiks theme is pure bliss.

pantsmith

As in when you unlock their upgraded look or do you mean that to get the real raid item art you need to use silver dust from their store...

I joked a year ago that they would soon be giving us normal scout rifles for raid loot and instead sell the touch of malice skin to us on the shop, sad that it's not a joke anymore.

The raid weapons look like normal weapons with a big SIVA marking on them, and as you level them up they grow SIVA cords that light up when they get kills and activate the special perks. I've also heard some have special sound effects as triggers too. They're really satisfying as a reward.

Not trying to be Bungie defence force here, but in practice the weapon skins you are talking about are completely harmless. You get a cosmetic drop once a week, that is heavily weighed toward something you don't have already. You can pay money to speed up the process and get more.

benzopil

Not trying to be Bungie defence force here, but in practice the weapon skins you are talking about are completely harmless. You get a cosmetic drop once a week, that is heavily weighed toward something you don't have already. You can pay money to speed up the process and get more.

While it's true for previous loot boxes like these, that's not the case this time. Lots of streamers and youtubers got the same skins again and again. It doesn't even say this in the description.

Yes, you get a cosmetic drop once a week, but to buy one from Xur you'll need to wait for at least 5 weeks and destroy all your ornaments. Which is really unfortunate since lots of people asked Bungie to add weapon skins and they create such a bottleneck for exotics.

Really enjoying Supremecy mode. Not sure how I feel about the expansion overall as I'm still making my way through all the content but I guess it feels like $25-$30 worth of stuff relative to previous Destiny releases.

It's the new stuff, plus you're really paying to keep the lights on at their datacenters.

Falcker

At the same time the armor set they have been advertising in all the ROI media is only unlocked with 5 silver dust PER ARMOR meaning 20 silver dust which would take 20 weeks or constant sharding of what ornaments you get.

It's a super obvious ploy to get you to buy the armor art through the store even though they advertised it in all the sales media and considering how much of the gear is recycled it feels pretty gross.

Some games without any micro transactions have larger free updates than ROI.

Please name a few.

The kunai cube patch I would say is the size of ROI.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/19859662/patch-230-now-live-8-25-2015

ROI is nowhere near the same size in terms of content as RoS.

And as for other games guild wars 2 also comes to mind, they have expansions for sale and micro transactions but they also have large free content patches that include things like raids.

Path of exile has plenty of large content patches all for free and has a very fair microtransaction shop.

Thinking about it, gta5 also qualifies, those heists were some of the best content I've played in a video game and they have all come free.

WoW also gets free patches on par with the size of TTK, you could argue that it requires a subscription but at the same time WoW actually hosts dedicated servers and has 24/7 live customer service which Destiny lacks completely.

Every game you mentioned INCLUDING Diablo 3 has microtransactions. If you can't substantiate your claims without moving your own goalposts please do not bother posting here.

Every game you mentioned INCLUDING Diablo 3 has microtransactions. If you can't substantiate your claims without moving your own goalposts please do not bother posting here.
Diablo 3 has microtransactions? Since when? Or do you mean at launch when there was still an Auction House?

Falcker

I mentioned they had micro transactions in my post and my original response was to someone saying games don't get large free updates like ROI which is why I responded with games that do.

And honestly destiny HAS microtransactions so it makes sense to compare it to other games with micro transactions that give much larger free updates. No point in looking for mtx free games with larger free patches when Destiny does not qualify for that status either, instead I can easily compare it to games that have a similar business model yet offer much more.

And as already mentioned Diablo 3 does not have microtransactions and qualifies with my statement about having larger free content patches.

They're only in the asia market at the moment.

They will never make it into any other market, it's a completely different business model.

Some games without any micro transactions have larger free updates than ROI.

Please name a few.

I mentioned they had micro transactions in my post and my original response was to someone saying games don't get large free updates like ROI which is why I responded with games that do.

backpedal.gif~c200

They will never make it into any other market, it's a completely different business model.

Tell me more tales from the future.

Falcker

backpedal.gif~c200

Tell me more tales from the future.
Tales from the future? Diablo 3 is on ice at this point and they came out and said when they were data mined they had no plans whatsoever of bringing them to other markets.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/16410220920

ROS doesn't even have a retail release in those markets.

And backpedaling, good joke.

The writer is out of his mind if he expects ROI-like content drops to be free.

He is referring to quality of life improvements like the skeleton key system and simple stuff like kill confirmed.

And games with MTX systems like destiny have given more for free than ROI. Some games without any micro transactions have larger free updates than ROI.

I just realized you didnt even quote my correct response to "name a few".

Diablo comes to mind immidiately, free large updates with no microtransactions.

Boy you silly, it seems I struck a cord of some kind, pretty typical of a destiny thread considering the fanbase.

Liamc723

I like it more than Kings Fall. Lots of great mechanics and you can recover from a death or two and still be successful. And the visuals are spectacular.

I think there's more mechanics in Kings Fall than WOTM. The one new mechanic in the new raid revolves around throwing balls at bosses.

benzopil

Thank you GameSpot. I thought I'm crazy when I saw all these 8/10 and 8.5 from GameInformer (they gave TTK 9.5 which is fine but the difference between TTK and ROI scores seems strange).

With Rise of Iron, Destiny feels like a game that’s within reach of fresh ideas, but can’t quite escape its own past. There are moments of exhilaration throughout the newest expansion, and a few inspiring missions remain rooted in my memory, but as Bungie’s shooter wades into its third year, a sense of fatigue has risen to the surface. Destiny’s exhaustion is beginning to show.

As an expansion that revamped how Destiny actually played, last year’s The Taken King was a major step forward for the shooter. But Rise of Iron feels merely like the other foot catching up to rest firmly in place. It feels timid. It feels safe. It feels like the last remaining breath before the possible sequel, as if Destiny is standing still and waiting for inspiration to arrive, rather than going out to find it.

6/10
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/destiny-rise-of-iron-review/1900-6416525/

I think there's more mechanics in Kings Fall than WOTM. The one new mechanic in the new raid revolves around throwing balls at bosses.

Imo WOTM involves way more movement then Kings Fall. The mechanics at the second stage are also revolved around movement and communication which I enjoy. The Death Zamboni part of the raid is easily better then all.of Kings Fall imo.

Neolombax

Maybe a weird comparison, but this expansion reminds me of Mass Effect 3's Citadel; its not heavy on content, but whats there is great fanservice and serves to expand and improve on the Destiny content you've spent the last two years playing.

If you like Destiny you will likely get a lot out of the content provided.

They mentioned "Nostalgia" as a key theme of the expansion, but I didn't realize it was especially heavy on the player's end of things too. Ghost's remarks after you create the new
Khvostov
might as well be a thank you straight to the player for loving this game. The "remixed" Sepiks theme is pure bliss.

I had only just completed that specific questline last night. Man, I wished that there were more of those moments in the actual story campaign. The main story campaign feels a bit rushed and events just flew by quickly. 2 hours later I'm an Iron Lord.

Would be cool if Bungie could release episodic questlines to flesh out NPC characters with future updates leading up to Destiny 2. I think they did a really good job in TTK fleshing out Cayde-6 (Zavala, Eris Mors and Amanda Holiday to a certain extent).

It's been out a week and I've already put in at least 50 hours total.

I think I've gotten my $30 worth, so far. And I've only been playing on the XBone so far, not the PS4.
Yes, I juggle between both systems.
No I don't mind and actually enjoy it.

Yes, I'm crazy.

Foxxsoxx

the content that is there is pretty high quality though, I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

Eh, I really feel like this should have been priced at $20. For $10 less than TTK we are missing out on 3 subclasses, much more content, PVP maps, exotics, quests and more.

I actually felt TTK was worth $40 and never questioned it. Rise is good, but it isn't excellent. Definitely what TDB and HoW should have been.

Feorax

It's astounding how much people in here seem to rate TTK as an expansion. It did some good things, but my god if it didn't rip out a huge amount of the fun of year 1 in the name of "balancing".

benzopil

It's astounding how much people in here seem to rate TTK as an expansion. It did some good things, but my god if it didn't rip out a huge amount of the fun of year 1 in the name of "balancing".
You mean Gjallarhorn and other exotics? Well they introduced a lot of new weapons, new archetypes, plus new subclasses. And we almost didn't need to play old content because of lots of new missions and strikes. Plus a new raid didn't rely on someone having Gjally or any other weapon — it was about mechanics and shooting in crit spots.

Here on the other hand nothing new is introduced. The only new exotic weapons are sidearm (who uses them in 2016?) and machine gun (but we have Gjallarhorn and Terminus). Raid is good, but everything else is meh. Even PvP guns like hopscoch and matador are old.

ch4fx_

Thinking about it, gta5 also qualifies, those heists were some of the best content I've played in a video game and they have all come free.

R* has made half a billion dollars from microtransactions, GTA V doesn't exactly quality as microtransaction-less.

Bad example.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...uld-mean-a-very-different-gta-6/#18b9ad915065

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta-5s-online-mode-has-generated-half-a-billion-do/1100-6438765/

ON TOPIC - I absolutely love the ROI update. WotM was my first blind raid & will honestly be something I always remember. My only complaint is how Siva offerings work/drop, and the fact that you can only hold ONE at a time. IMO, with this new area (The Fordge) they should be THROWING offerings at you to keep the area populated.

Still very happy with the content & im looking forward to what HM has to offer.

Gator86

Eh, I really feel like this should have been priced at $20. For $10 less than TTK we are missing out on 3 subclasses, much more content, PVP maps, exotics, quests and more.

I actually felt TTK was worth $40 and never questioned it. Rise is good, but it isn't excellent. Definitely what TDB and HoW should have been.

Yeah, in the end, I'd probably just say Rise is okay to good.

The value question is too personal here. That's true for most games, but Destiny especially. Some people are still running the same goddamn strikes as on day 1 and have spent thousands of hours just wandering the same couple dozen rooms in the Cosmodrome. For them, 30 bucks for Rise is the best value in gaming.

For other people who finish the hour of lackluster campaign and one new strike, there's not much. Not everyone cares about collecting 20 almost identical pulse rifles or a slightly different shotgun.

Personally, I feel like I've already easily gotten my money's worth, but most of Rise feels spectacularly lazy, even for Destiny. I wish we could have gotten a new environment on Felwinter Peak and not rehashed Cosmodrome. If Bungie wasn't tossing their C-team at this, we could have had an awesome snowy mountain sandbox to explore.

The 6s I'm seeing now feel pretty fair. Destiny 2 needs to completely break with almost everything Destiny 1 did, even if there's still some fun to be had in D1.

Top Bottom