• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Rise of Iron Review Thread

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Do people just play the campaign missions and quit?

Some do, but that's on them at this point.

It was different at launch as Bungie had talked it up as having an epic story to rival Star Wars etc. so people were expecting a lot more and better story-driven single player content rather than a loot chasing lite-MMO.

hydruxo

Haven't played the raid yet, just finished the "campagin". How is the PvE endgame compared to TTK? I loved all the smaller quests and stuff after killing Oryx.

It's pretty good, though there are probably half as many questlines as there were in TTK. Good thing is there is a RoI record book that you can get rewards (armor set, ghost shell, emblems, shotgun, etc.) from as you complete certain tasks for PVE and/or PVP.

Nerokis

Wait, the campaign missions take around 6 hours to complete?

Because based on all the "I'm surprised how short it was" impressions, I expected a 2-3 hour campaign at best, in addition to all the other more enduring stuff.

soultron

Banned
Wait, so there's just going to be a year of nothing?
There will probably be some small events and tweaks just like the April 2016 update, holidays in social hubs, and maybe Sparrow Racing League Season 2.

I also think Bungie will probably sneak secret Exotic quests/hidden bosses into ROI just like they did with TTK.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, I guess there's no rush either way to play it if that's the case. Other than people bailing on the game after they've done the raid a few times I suppose.

Well, I guess there's no rush either way to play it if that's the case. Other than people bailing on the game after they've done the raid a few times I suppose.

Millions of people play Destiny even during the dry spells. Nothing to worry about in terms of player base until Destiny 2 releases

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You have all that time to grind your characters to 40
Heh, there's very little incentive anyway if you're already two expansions behind.
And they're too cheap to give you 3 leveling tokens, probably because they want to sell it.

Millions of people play Destiny even during the dry spells. Nothing to worry about in terms of player base until Destiny 2 releases
Even at it's peak, it was a pain to get a raid going if you didn't do it on Tuesday. At least on GAF anyway.

Nerokis

There will probably be some small events and tweaks just like the April 2016 update, holidays in social hubs, and maybe Sparrow Racing League Season 2.

I also think Bungie will probably sneak secret Exotic quests/hidden bosses into ROI just like they did with TTK.

Probably for the best. Expectations for Destiny 2 are pretty high, and this is without Bungie (to my knowledge, anyway) clearly communicating what it's even going to be. Considering their production issues and the limited development time going into it, I can't see Bungie having a lot of room to divide attention between Destiny 2 and live support.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, the campaign missions take around 6 hours to complete?

Because based on all the "I'm surprised how short it was" impressions, I expected a 2-3 hour campaign at best, in addition to all the other more enduring stuff.

The campaign missions are way shorter than that. I'm guessing the 6 hours estimate is counting those, the couple new/remixed strikes and some of the post-story missions/quests that open up after beating final story mission.

Even at it's peak, it was a pain to get a raid going if you didn't do it on Tuesday. At least on GAF anyway.

There's lots of other sites to LFG as well besides GAF. That said yeah it does seem like most players get Raid done early in the week. But there are still gonna be millions of people playing monthly 6 months from now

Solrac

reading this thread pretty much confirm my fears, when bunggie announced this expansion and destiny 2 at the same time i knew that majority of the team will work on destiny 2 instead on this expansion..

reading this thread pretty much confirm my fears, when bunggie announced this expansion and destiny 2 at the same time i knew that majority of the team will work on destiny 2 instead on this expansion..

this dlc is easily the second best after TTK.

Bold One

If you love Destiny, there is a lot to do here. So no complaints from me.

However, there is no escaping the fact that from the SP side of things, this is anemic, content wise.

Bungie's real challenge for Destiny 2 is revamping their tools to be able to churn out far more content on a regular basis, because up until now, they've been stealing a living off a very generous and very forgiving fanbase.

benzopil

man, people don't even try to hide their bias with this game
But person you quoted isn't wrong. We even pay for new versions of old exotics like Gjally, Thorn and Khvostov. Other than that there is Trespasser, new Pulse and that's it.

Even exotic armor has been in database since TTK. Zero surprises.

But person you quoted isn't wrong. We even pay for new versions of old exotics like Gjally, Thorn and Khvostov. Other than that there is Trespasser, new Pulse and that's it.

Even exotic armor has been in database since TTK. Zero surprises.

how is he not wrong? saying that the dlc is "essentially just a raid" is stupid and not close to being true.

seriously, it's 2 years later and we still have people bitching about what destiny is. if you don't like the format of the game and how you replay a lot of the same content, then this dlc probably isn't worth $30 to you, and you probably shouldn't bother dropping into destiny threads anymore. if you DO like the game's format (which a LOT of people obviously do), then this DLC represents amazingvalue for $30.

i don't know why i'm wasting my time. it's a destiny thread in gaming. these threads are all destined to be the same.

i don't know why i'm wasting my time. it's a destiny thread in gaming. there threads are all destined to be the same.

It's pretty exhausting. We are entering the third year of the game and people are still expecting things like long single player campaigns. That isn't Destiny.

benzopil

how is he not wrong? saying that the dlc is "essentially just a raid" is stupid and not close to being true.

seriously, it's 2 years later and we still have people bitching about what destiny is. if you don't like the format of the game and how you replay a lot of the same content, then this dlc probably isn't worth $30 to you, and you probably shouldn't bother dropping into destiny threads anymore. if you DO like the game's format (which a LOT of people obviously do), then this DLC represents amazingvalue for $30.

i don't know why i'm wasting my time. it's a destiny thread in gaming. there threads are all destined to be the same.

So you think it's okay that after all these years we still have only one Raid and ToO as our end-game activities?

I liked this game's format when it was fresh and new. I finished VoG and KF so many times you can't even imagine. And spent every weekend in Trials since second DLC dropped. But it's time to introduce something new I think.

I don't know what future events will look like, but if Halloween is three quests which require you to visit every part of Cosmodrome and find 10 pumpkin fragments, it's a joke, not a worthwile content until Destiny 2 comes out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Honestly I'm surprised they didn't make all the raids endgame and just let people chase a year 3 fatebringer. Seems like a very quick and dirty way to add longevity to the endgame anyway.

It was planned for this year and they already delayed it till next year. No way they'd delay it again by another year.

I don't think it will get a full year delay but early 2018 is possible. Jason who has contacts in Bungie said that September 2017 may not be likely at all

So you think it's okay that after all these years we still have only one Raid and ToO as our end-game activities?

I liked this game's format when it was fresh and new. I finished VoG and KF so many times you can't even imagine. And spent every weekend in Trials since second DLC dropped. But it's time to introduce something new I think.

I don't know what future events will look like, but if Halloween is three quests which require you to visit every part of Cosmodrome and find 10 pumpkin fragments, it's a joke, not a worthwile content until Destiny 2 comes out.

yeah, i do think it's okay. i've purchased every dlc for this game and i've gotten an absurd amount of value for it. if it's true that you've finished vog and kf as much as you say, then it sounds like you've gotten tons of value out of it too.

in any case, we're back into that circular destiny conversation that's been going on for 2 years. i said it's ridiculous to say that the dlc is "essentially just a raid", and you somehow managed to turn it into a discussion of the core ideas behind destiny. shit is so tiring.

benzopil

in any case, we're back into that circular destiny conversation that's been going on for 2 years. i said it's ridiculous to say that the dlc is "essentially just a raid", and you somehow managed to turn it into a discussion of the core ideas behind destiny. shit is so tiring.

Because I finished every quest in two days (like A LOT of people) and everything I can do is to play two years old strikes to level up. For a raid. Which will be the only one PvE activity where I should spend my time after ~365-370 light. This is what's tiring.

I liked to play a strike from vanilla Destiny when it was 1 year old and I was leveling up for TTK. But now it's painfullt difficult to play, let's say, Devil's Lair which was available since beta.

DrBo42

You can really tell most of Bungie are working on D2. ROI feels super low budget to me. I guess the setting isn't helping much either. The lovecraftian weirdness of Taken King lent itself really well to the mysteries that they put into the expansion.

Idk, Taken King felt like such an event. This thing just happened.

Yeah the whole thing feels like a B team effort.

Because I finished every quest in two days (like A LOT of people) and everything I can do is to play two years old strikes to level up. For a raid. Which will be the only one PvE activity where I should spend my time after ~365-370 light. This is what's tiring.

I liked to play a strike from vanilla Destiny when it was 1 year old and I was leveling up for TTK. But now it's painfullt difficult to play, let's say, Devil's Lair which was available since beta.

that was all known before the dlc came out. we know what destiny is, and we knew exactly what ROI was going to be. maybe if it's not to your liking, you shouldn't have paid $30 for it?

it's like people who pay $60 for COD every year and then complain that it's been the same game every year since cod4. yeah, no shit. i don't see the purpose in complaining about something you willingly chose.

benzopil

that was all known before the dlc came out. we know what destiny is, and we knew exactly what ROI was going to be. maybe if it's not to your liking, you shouldn't have paid $30 for it?

it's like people who pay $60 for COD every year and then complain that it's been the same game every year since cod4. yeah, no shit. i don't see the purpose in complaining about something you willingly chose.

Well I didn't know that new enemies are Fallen with helmets. I thought they will have some hidden abilities or that Bungie didn't show us everything. You know, Taken were cool.
I also didn't know that in exotic quests you visit old areas and old PvP maps.
What else...
I didn't know that leveling up will be so difficult if you don't have 50000 heavy synths or 500 exotic engrams.
I didn't know that new Devil's Lair has the same encounters and didn't change at all (well, sometimes there are random Ogres, okay).
I didn't know that SIVA offerings are such a pain in the butt.
I'm sure I forgot something.

Kind of weird how people have a problem with this dlc's price. I mean, Abzu was two hours at $20 and it was amazing. I didn't see anyone bitching about Abzu price tag. Do you really believe you're only going to get 6 hours out of this dlc. I'm already at 10 and I haven't even touched the raid or the new multiplayer mode and I'm only 345.

Jblanks

Lmao itd way more than 6 hours

Ive put in double that and more since RoI launched

Do people just play the campaign missions and quit?

Stip shitposting

Lots of people probably have and will shortly because the grind to get required LL for the raid is a horrendous.

GhaleonEB

It was a noble effort, but there really is no defending the 'it's just a raid' post. That's just absurd and the way you've had to dance so hard around it just made the point in spite of yourself. This same reductive logic applies to every piece of content so far. The Taken King was a climb up to the raid. The Dark Below was a run toward the raid. The main campaign is a grind up to the raid. That's how the game is designed, for better or worse.

The game is more than a raid.

tebunker

Banned
? Please explain how I'm wrong ?

In just saying thinking 6 hours of gameplay for 30$ is NOT okay.

But if you enjoy your overpriced DLC more power to you.

Well lets see, it came out on Tuesday and between myself and my wife we've got well over 6 hours each. You don't play this game for the story, good people bad. I mean there is a solid story now if you are starting form scratch.

You play because it is very enjoyable gameplay.

As for this specific expansion?

I love the plaguelands much nore than the dreadnought. You like that you can load in to the Patrol and then head back in to the regular Cosmodrome, but now its snow covered and has siva and splicers.

The record book is fantastic and shows the wealth of stuff you can do beyond the story.

Hell I got 3 hours in on Supremacy this weekend alone and it is a very solid new mode and the new maps are legit.

I still have two exotic missions that have yet to pop up. I haven't raided yet and I am still building up my levels so I can more comfortably do the siva strike list and nightfalls.

Yeah there is a lot more than six hours of content here.

Is this as good as TTK? No, but I feel like that move was done under different circumstances and they felt like they were about to lose all of their players. Honestly this expansion should have been $5-$10 cheaper, but I am not entirely sure what else they have planned past and New SRL coming and a fall even and then a couple of spring events.

6 hours pffft.

benzopil

It was a noble effort, but there really is no defending the 'it's just a raid' post. That's just absurd and the way you've had to dance so hard around it just made the point in spite of yourself. This same reductive logic applies to every piece of content so far. The Taken King was a climb up to the raid. The Dark Below was a run toward the raid. The main campaign is a grind up to the raid. That's how the game is designed, for better or worse.

The game is more than a raid.

Maybe I misunderstood what 'just a raid' means.

But in The Taken King you had a lot of new exotics and new subclasses. It made every activity feel great. Hey look, you are a Warlock who can finally kill a lot of dudes with your super. Or you are a Hunter and everyone is weak because of your tether. Plus you have Zhalo, Telesto, everything you want!

Here we have Gjallarhorn, Khvostov, Thorn... We played with these guns already (well, Khvostov is kinda new since it's not a white weapon anymore). But the game feels absolutely the same.

Trace

Banned
I've been enjoying RoI, will definitely be playing it for at least a month or two. Content-wise it's about what I expected from $30, bigger than TDB/HoW and smaller than TTK. Raid is solid, new pvp mode is good along with some of the new maps.

If they bring up some of the old raids to max light level around March that's all they would need to do to keep the game going until Destiny 2.

Maybe I misunderstood what 'just a raid' means.

But in The Taken King you had a lot of new exotics and new subclasses. It made every activity feel great. Hey look, you are a Warlock who can finally kill a lot of dudes with your super. Or you are a Hunter and everyone is weak because of your tether. Plus you have Zhalo, Telesto, everything you want!

Here we have Gjallarhorn, Khvostov, Thorn... We played with these guns already (well, Khvostov is kinda new since it's not a white weapon anymore). But the game feels absolutely the same.

They already stated it's an expansion about Nostalgia. Bringing back old weapons, going back to where it all started in the Cosmodrome, etc. They aren't going to be doing massive game changes at this point, any of that will be saved for Destiny 2.

Draft

locking some patrols behind spliced key gates is bullshit.

When a player carrying an axe dies the axe should be flung 10 feet in a random direction. This message brought to you by the council of not being able to resurrect people in Archons Forge.

Falcker

You like that you can load in to the Patrol and then head back in to the regular Cosmodrome, but now its snow covered and has siva and splicers.
To clarify you cannot visit a remade cosmodrome, you can only go to the area where you found your ship and then the exit is snowed in.

The majority of the cosmodrome is not accessible through the plaguelands.

Hahs

Seeing people in here complaining about the length of the campaign in relation to ROI's worth seems a bit redundant at this point in time.

This is year three! By now, unless some people are extremely new to Destiny - the 'ENDGAME' is, and will continue to be the most important part of this franchise.

Granted, the game needs a story-line to maintain cohesion - an explanation of what's going on in the universe, but the line ends there.

For someone to invest in a purely multiplayer experience, then banking on gaming the story-line for 20+ hours with same initial enthusiasm - that's absurd!

I feel like my 30 bucks have been well spent - I've got the jest of what's going on - just let me grind; give me my fucking weapons so I can wreck shit in MP...that's Destiny!

Top Bottom