• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Rise of Iron Review Thread

I've been enjoying RoI, will definitely be playing it for at least a month or two. Content-wise it's about what I expected from $30, bigger than TDB/HoW and smaller than TTK. Raid is solid, new pvp mode is good along with some of the new maps.

If they bring up some of the old raids to max light level around March that's all they would need to do to keep the game going until Destiny 2.

They already stated it's an expansion about Nostalgia. Bringing back old weapons, going back to where it all started in the Cosmodrome, etc. They aren't going to be doing massive game changes at this point, any of that will be saved for Destiny 2.

that is absolutely fine to do that, juts not to charge $30 for it. Even expansions one and two overpriced, luckily for me I bought the game on the US store with the season pass. I've not touched the game since HoW. People talk about how fresh TK was, the price they were charging £40 in the UK was an absolute joke and was the reason I never bothered with it. Could I have afforded it and enjoyed it? yes. Was not prepared to spend that on DLC because it was a rip off and someone has to take a stand.

Already done with it and it was only a few hours.

After the story and remix of the Sepiks strike (much better) you're only left with the Archon's Forge, which is a hobbled version of The Court of Oryx, jumping back into the Strike playlists (I just can't), the Raid and Crucible. There's no more story missions and there's not even interesting reasons to really patrol ala the Taken War.

The raid and crucible aren't my thing, and there's nothing else new or compelling, and no, getting my content-gate number to go up a few notches is not content.

ROI feels like a big step backwards from TTK.

that is absolutely fine to do that, juts not to charge $30 for it. Even expansions one and two overpriced, luckily for me I bought the game on the US store with the season pass. I've not touched the game since HoW. People talk about how fresh TK was, the price they were charging £40 in the UK was an absolute joke and was the reason I never bothered with it. Could I have afforded it and enjoyed it? yes. Was not prepared to spend that on DLC because it was a rip off and someone has to take a stand.

"take a stand" against what? people who disagree and feel like the DLCs are worth the price? sorry, but destiny's formula is successful. you've lost.

gamers are so sanctimonious, and take everything so personally. if they feel like they've been wronged, they spend years making sure everyone knows it. this shit is really not that serious.

locking some patrols behind spliced key gates is bullshit.

When a player carrying an axe dies the axe should be flung 10 feet in a random direction. This message brought to you by the council of not being able to resurrect people in Archons Forge.

You can farm Splicer Keys buy killing the Brood Mother in the starting area of the Plague Lands.

Been enjoying the hell out of RoI. I took probably 8 months to a year off from Destiny, and it has sucked me right back in. Trying to raise my light level to get to the Raid right now. The new twists on the strikes are awesome.

ethomaz

Banned
Dreadnaught was full of secrets, Plaguelands doesn't have any of them. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's just a circle.

Forge is amazing only if you meet other players and always have a SIVA offering. If you go there solo or with just two friends, most of the time it won't last for too long.
I don't know because I have a lot od keys, SIVA ghosts to find, etc.

Haaaaa the new patrol is really great.

Onikaan

Nope, destiny 2 was supposed to be released this fall but got delayed and this is the filler til then.

Destiny 2 has the bulk of 500 bungie employees and whatever numbers high moon studios adds to that, ROI was made by a small live team usually tasked with small patches but instead made to put together this expac with whatever assets they had available from past work which is why so much of it is recycled.

That's what I said.

elohel

I feel like destiny content is hard to evaluate without months or weeks at a minimum of play time as every decision to change destiny typically comes after an extended amount of time

Basically there are very few reviews I disagree with more than the reviews on destiny content tbh and I honestly don't know how reviewers have completed weeks worth of play time before the game dropped but probably wrong

shridz

Neo Member
I for one can not stop playing this expansion. I already clocked in close to 40 hours and haven't even played the raid yet. I like the new patrol area, way more than the dreadnaught. It is everything i was expecting it to be. The new multiplayer mode is brilliant, changes the dynamic of the crucible completely.

If this is what a so called "B-team" can do in a limited time frame, I cannot wait for what the full might of the "A-team" with no last gen constraints can do for the sequel.

But until then i am happy playing what i have now.

Destiny: The Taken King Edition is on sale for $20 here in Canada. Worth it for someone who played and sold vanilla Destiny? Enjoyed the single player missions and raids in that game, but didn't think it had the content to justify keeping it.

Destiny: The Taken King Edition is on sale for $20 here in Canada. Worth it for someone who played and sold vanilla Destiny? Enjoyed the single player missions and raids in that game, but didn't think it had the content to justify keeping it.

It is absolutely worth it. At this point even if you play solo if you only played Vanilla you will easily get 40+ hours out The Taken King edition

Seeing people in here complaining about the length of the campaign in relation to ROI's worth seems a bit redundant at this point in time.

This is year three! By now, unless some people are extremely new to Destiny - the 'ENDGAME' is, and will continue to be the most important part of this franchise.

Granted, the game needs a story-line to maintain cohesion - an explanation of what's going on in the universe, but the line ends there.

For someone to invest in a purely multiplayer experience, then banking on gaming the story-line for 20+ hours with same initial enthusiasm - that's absurd!

I feel like my 30 bucks have been well spent - I've got the jest of what's going on - just let me grind; give me my fucking weapons so I can wreck shit in MP...that's Destiny!
The endgame for ROI is shitty though.

MaKTaiL

Just played the first part of the new Raid. Easily the best opening to a raid so far, Vault of Glass coming to a close second. Looking forward to the rest of it.

I'd just wait for the Collection to go on sale, it almost certainly will on black friday and waiting another 2 months isn't a big deal if you haven't played TTK yet. The bulk of people are now in Rise of Iron areas and the game is much more fun when you can play alongside other players and interact with them in the social spaces and PVP.

Plus if you really liked TTK then you'd be forced to spend $30 to buy ROI now, whereas if you wait for collection to be $30-40 then you get TTK and ROI for a better price. I doubt the ROI standalone xpac will go on sale for a while, whereas they will almost certainly sell the entire collection at good discounts for holiday gifting.

Neolombax

locking some patrols behind spliced key gates is bullshit.

When a player carrying an axe dies the axe should be flung 10 feet in a random direction. This message brought to you by the council of not being able to resurrect people in Archons Forge.

Splicer keys aren't that hard to obtain...are they?

After the story and remix of the Sepiks strike (much better) you're only left with the Archon's Forge, which is a hobbled version of The Court of Oryx, jumping back into the Strike playlists (I just can't), the Raid and Crucible. There's no more story missions and there's not even interesting reasons to really patrol ala the Taken War.

The raid and crucible aren't my thing, and there's nothing else new or compelling, and no, getting my content-gate number to go up a few notches is not content.

So you bought a Destiny expansion to avoid the reasons why you would buy a Destiny expansion? I think that's on you.

Granted I wasn't psyched to get back into the grind either but this has never been a game where you were going to get much if you ignored the Strikes, Raids and Crucible.

So you bought a Destiny expansion for everything other than why you would buy a Destiny expansion? I think that's on you.
TTK was a solid expansion. This one isn't.

Have never been into Destiny for Crucible, and the Raids are something I'll play once or twice, but haven't really impressed me other than they're different from the main mission types (not a fan of arbitrary do-this-or-wipe mechanics or the process of finding other players to run them). Story missions, public events, longer term patrol questlines and strikes - up to a point - have kept my interest. The idea of jumping back into the strikes playlist for the nth time to find some gear to raise my light by a pip no longer holds any mojo.

I play each installment until there's nothing in my Quest list save for the Raid or Crucible challenges. That's happened mighty quick here.

WadeitOut

TTK was a solid expansion. This one isn't.

Have never been into Destiny for Crucible, and the Raids are something I'll play once or twice, but haven't really impressed me other than they're different from the main mission types (not a fan of arbitrary do-this-or-wipe mechanics or the process of finding other players to run them). Story missions, public events, longer term patrol questlines and strikes - up to a point - have kept my interest. The idea of jumping back into the strikes playlist for the nth time to find some gear to raise my light by a pip no longer holds any mojo.

I play each installment until there's nothing in my Quest list save for the Raid or Crucible challenges. That's happened mighty quick here.

I agree with you. With TTK there was a lot more stuff to do solo. With RoI within a few hours you are basically left with strike farming if you don't know people to raid with.

Dmax3901

Nope, destiny 2 was supposed to be released this fall but got delayed and this is the filler til then.

Destiny 2 has the bulk of 500 bungie employees and whatever numbers high moon studios adds to that, ROI was made by a small live team usually tasked with small patches but instead made to put together this expac with whatever assets they had available from past work which is why so much of it is recycled.

Any links to support this? I haven't heard anything about Destiny 2.

I will never understand why some people (both on the internet and real friends) have such a hate boner for this game. I am just gonna chalk it up to over-hyping it before release.

From their first talks and the details that released leading up to the original release, I expected the repetitive as fuck gameplay of PSO with the gunplay of Halo. At this point I am not sure if I got that idea stuck in my head from my own ponderings or from some preview article.

However, that's what I got in the end and I couldn't be happier. I did skip the first two DLC packs because they didn't entice me enough, but I have found the game enjoyable anytime I have came back to it.

I do wish that someone on the team had the chance to play PSO2 years ago (thanks Obama - I mean Sega) because I think they could have actually found a lot of inspiration from some of the ways that game handled multiplayer and social features.

Dmax3901

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-01-22-destiny-2-delayed-from-september-2016-report

Back from before the April update even. It's never been full out announced, but Bungie hasn't exactly been coy about the fact that this survival mode of content the live team is releasing is not the work of the main team, which is working on Destiny 2.

Thanks. It's a pretty unique situation. Would it start from scratch or are we looking at a 'mega-expansion' of sorts, with minimal graphical enhancements but a level cap raise to 60 etc.

jdstorm

Banned
If you love Destiny, there is a lot to do here. So no complaints from me.

However, there is no escaping the fact that from the SP side of things, this is anemic, content wise.

Bungie's real challenge for Destiny 2 is revamping their tools to be able to churn out far more content on a regular basis, because up until now, they've been stealing a living off a very generous and very forgiving fanbase.

In many ways Destiny is a game that is fustating because it's Good, but it could be Geat. If Bungie can get thei tools sorted. Because even 1 new mission/Quest a week would be huge for the game in terms of content. Even if it uses the same shared world

So you bought a Destiny expansion to avoid the reasons why you would buy a Destiny expansion? I think that's on you.

Granted I wasn't psyched to get back into the grind either but this has never been a game where you were going to get much if you ignored the Strikes, Raids and Crucible.

I get what you're saying but I went into the Destiny OT hours after the expansion released and people were grinding strikes. Shouldn't be that way. Pay $30 for new content and then have to grind the same strikes you've been playing for 2 years?

I wonder if Warframe quests , the new ones are longer than this expansion

nOoblet16

Well lets see, it came out on Tuesday and between myself and my wife we've got well over 6 hours each. You don't play this game for the story, good people bad. I mean there is a solid story now if you are starting form scratch.

You play because it is very enjoyable gameplay.

As for this specific expansion?

I love the plaguelands much nore than the dreadnought. You like that you can load in to the Patrol and then head back in to the regular Cosmodrome, but now its snow covered and has siva and splicers.

The record book is fantastic and shows the wealth of stuff you can do beyond the story.

Hell I got 3 hours in on Supremacy this weekend alone and it is a very solid new mode and the new maps are legit.

I still have two exotic missions that have yet to pop up. I haven't raided yet and I am still building up my levels so I can more comfortably do the siva strike list and nightfalls.

Yeah there is a lot more than six hours of content here.

Is this as good as TTK? No, but I feel like that move was done under different circumstances and they felt like they were about to lose all of their players. Honestly this expansion should have been $5-$10 cheaper, but I am not entirely sure what else they have planned past and New SRL coming and a fall even and then a couple of spring events.

6 hours pffft.
If you pick plaguelands to patrol then the only parts of cosmodrome you can visit are the dock, divide and rocket yard. For other areas you'll have to load up cosmodrome and the stupid thing is that it's unchanged (no snow, splicers)...even the parts that are common between cosmodrome and plaguelands.

Razgreez

Friend of mine begged me to play RoI with him and even went as far as buying the expansion for me. We both played for about an hour and a half and then got so bored we each decided to take a nap.

After playing the original launch, and then TTK and now (some of) RoI, it all just feels like work without any sort of cohesion pulling all the pieces together. I suppose it was always this way but damn if it doesn't get tiresome really quickly.

If you pick plaguelands to patrol then the only parts of cosmodrome you can visit are the dock, divide and rocket yard. For other areas you'll have to load up cosmodrome and the stupid thing is that it's unchanged (no snow, splicers)...even the parts that are common between cosmodrome and plaguelands.

yea this was pretty disappointing when i noticed this but i imagine it was a technical limitation more than anything.

Falcker

Arstechnica has a great review that mirrors my thoughts on the expansion.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/09/destiny-rise-of-iron-impressions-the-thin-road-to-destiny-2/

Nearly everything in Rise of Iron smacks of recycled content. The gear, the strikes, the enemies, and even the writing all feel like things we've seen before, many times over. It’s as though whatever Bungie employees not working on Destiny 2 were forced to cobble together one last dollop of content for the original game so 2016 wouldn't pass without something they could sell. Almost nothing is actually new, and what is new rarely feels that way.

Felwinter is somewhere between useless and a hassle to visit. Say you want to complete a quest in Rise of Iron, but you also want to buy a new piece of gear. No vendors live in Felwinter, so you'll need to load into the mountain, do your business, load back out, select The Tower, load in to buy your equipment, and load back out again. What a time-consuming slog.

Except, the loot isn’t new—at least not for the most part. There are new legendary and exotic mittens, pants, and guns at the upper-tier of Destiny's loot table, but the "junk" loot that rounds them out—and even most of the high-grade arms and armors I've gotten so far—is made up of Taken King items with new numbers attached. That means I've begun replacing my unique, hard-won, raid-level endgame gear with statistically better garbage. And it's not even new garbage.

In short, I felt like I was playing Destiny all over again. Not the Destiny I've been playing, but the Destiny I remember—the one we all discovered a week after the game first launched and said with one voice "Oh, that's really all there is, huh."

My concern is that these additions are exactly the sort of quality-of-life improvements I’d like to see Bungie include gratis. The developer has committed to delivering a steadier stream of content, sans expansions, and even instituted microtransactions supposedly meant to pay for it. Excepting one very cool update last April, however, things have been grim.

SPCTRE

I just realized what RoI (especially regarding the amount of singleplayer/story content) reminded me of - The Dark Below.

It really feels about as meaty as TDB so far.

I get what you're saying but I went into the Destiny OT hours after the expansion released and people were grinding strikes. Shouldn't be that way. Pay $30 for new content and then have to grind the same strikes you've been playing for 2 years?

i don't disagree with that i just think it's odd to opt out of destiny's end game when the front end of it has never been its strong point - and even the taken king can be debated because after the main storyline you're thrown into a long laundry list of repetitive quests.

but at least rise of iron could have had more of those. it does feel like it drops off of that quick and throws you back into the strike grind too soon, and like i said i'm not keen on that either. but i'm playing at a much different pace than i used to as well.

I just realized what RoI (especially regarding the amount of singleplayer/story content) reminded me of - The Dark Below.

It really feels about as meaty as TDB so far.

It's a closer comparison to House of Wolves

Seeing people in here complaining about the length of the campaign in relation to ROI's worth seems a bit redundant at this point in time.

This is year three! By now, unless some people are extremely new to Destiny - the 'ENDGAME' is, and will continue to be the most important part of this franchise.

Granted, the game needs a story-line to maintain cohesion - an explanation of what's going on in the universe, but the line ends there.

For someone to invest in a purely multiplayer experience, then banking on gaming the story-line for 20+ hours with same initial enthusiasm - that's absurd!

I feel like my 30 bucks have been well spent - I've got the jest of what's going on - just let me grind; give me my fucking weapons so I can wreck shit in MP...that's Destiny!

I feel like people try to justify the game being the way it is simply because the people who are playing it right now are loving it. If you go to the destiny's subreddit, it's an eco chamber. If you say anything bad about the game, it gets downvoted into oblivion by people like you. I played Destiny since the beta. Yes, the endgame is important but it's the how you get there which is what interests me. I don't want to do the same strikes over and over again. I want some variation into my play. The latest DLC (along with The Dark Below) just simply pack too little content to be worth buying to me. Heck, even The Taken King managed to disappoint me by falling off way too early. It's like they had a great plan and then ran out of budget.

"take a stand" against what? people who disagree and feel like the DLCs are worth the price? sorry, but destiny's formula is successful. you've lost.

gamers are so sanctimonious, and take everything so personally. if they feel like they've been wronged, they spend years making sure everyone knows it. this shit is really not that serious.

Take a stand against such pricing, obviously. TTK was more expensive for people in the UK (and everybody who used an UK account). Telling someone they lost is just childish. Take that to Gamespot's comment section.

Falcker

The writer is out of his mind if he expects ROI-like content drops to be free.
He is referring to quality of life improvements like the skeleton key system and simple stuff like kill confirmed.

And games with MTX systems like destiny have given more for free than ROI. Some games without any micro transactions have larger free updates than ROI.

ittoryu

I did like ROI initially, got me back into Destiny so I guess that's something...

However, here I am now doing the exact same things I was doing before and it's already getting old: strike playlist for the goddamn skeleton keys, daily, nightfall...

I really think the game would benefit from something fresh at this point.

Falcker

The only Diablo update of RoI scale was paid for.
The kunai cube patch I would say is the size of ROI.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/19859662/patch-230-now-live-8-25-2015

ROI is nowhere near the same size in terms of content as RoS.

And as for other games guild wars 2 also comes to mind, they have expansions for sale and micro transactions but they also have large free content patches that include things like raids.

Path of exile has plenty of large content patches all for free and has a very fair microtransaction shop.

Thinking about it, gta5 also qualifies, those heists were some of the best content I've played in a video game and they have all come free.

WoW also gets free patches on par with the size of TTK, you could argue that it requires a subscription but at the same time WoW actually hosts dedicated servers and has 24/7 live customer service which Destiny lacks completely.

Z3M0G

Ouch really??

Right now I'm continuing the Taken War content because I didn't feel I did enough with TTK before buying ROI... but it sounds like if this was ROI I would already be long done with it. Raid and Crucible are not my thing either...

Maybe I won't buy ROI after all... maybe I'll just stop playing TTK content too cause it is getting less compelling to do so each time I finish a lingering quest.

Oh well, Destiny, you had me back for a couple of days at least. Back to Star Trek Online or something.

I did like ROI initially, got me back into Destiny so I guess that's something...

However, here I am now doing the exact same things I was doing before and it's already getting old: strike playlist for the goddamn skeleton keys, daily, nightfall...

I really think the game would benefit from something fresh at this point.

The formula of Destiny 2 needs to be COMPLETELY different.

Z3M0G

Shit this is a really good point... it places this DLC in the worst light of all. TTK was the only true full quality DLC that was ever in the plan and had full time in the oven. I would also argue that they needed TTK to SAVE Destiny so they gave it their all.

Destiny 2 was originally planned to be releasing right now... not ROI. So it makes sense that it was scrapped together.

Top Bottom