• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinky

Banned
Look at the bright side, guys. If this is the NX handheld, we'll finally have a Nintendo portable with dual sticks.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Ōkami;198574796 said:
UBz0oAp.png

NX confirmed to support adblock extension.

Really GAF? After Nintendo brought out the Wii, you think that that would be their next evolution of a controller? What is the purpose of that controller's screen? How does that add value?

No.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
^ Pretty much, even the leaker himself claims that they don't think it's the next Nintendo.... It sounds weird for someone trying to leak something but I doubt they're that serious.
Ya there is a left Z button fam

Oops, you've got me. For some reason my eyes shifted back up to the GC controller there.

AdanVC

One thing to consider is how wide this controller would be. If it's wide enough then the hands covering major part of the screen would not be an issue anymore and I think it could work.

ironcreed

Banned
You're overthinking this. From a traditional standpoint that extra screen space seems like a "waste", but what if those edge areas are filled with various menus, buttons, and shortcuts that you can quickly tap with your thumb? The purpose of the edge area (if this is real) isn't to display more of the game world, but to simply server as a palette for whatever buttons the dev wants to put into the game.

A game like Monster Hunter 4 U is a great example of this concept. It let you customize your bottom screen with a ton of different menu styles, buttons, maps, and you could even adjust the size and orientation of some of the buttons.

Sorry, I don't want an oval shaped controller where the entire face is a screen that has thumb pads going through it. I mean, this looks so ridiculous that it just about can't be real. You really think this is a good idea?

are_you_serious.gif

Sega followed mainstream trends and started to make what works not because they stopped making consoles, but because they were just a general video game publisher like everyone else. They're from a different time where grand sequels and new IP were treated differently. Comparing them to Nintendo isn't taking into account that Nintendo is here in 2016 and Sega left consoles before Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed were annualized and everything were sequels.

Also, it's strange that this is even a thing we're arguing about, because Nintendo is a pretty safe company in terms of their general brands. Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Smash, they take risks inside their own bubbles but Nintendo aren't bastions of risk takers that can only be preserved if they continue to make games for their own box. They just made four New Super Mario Bros. games that all look generally the same.
Yeah they're so safe thats why they keep making their on thang. You answer ya own stuff breh

jblank83

Even if you're completely right, touchscreen virtual buttons are the worst. Ugh.

The idea being floated is that they're haptic buttons, not touchscreen virtual buttons. Sort of like the haptic feedback on the Steam controller. They stick up and you can actually feel them.

I see what you're saying and I'm not really blaming Nintendo. Well, I kinda am. They could have just went a simpler and overall better route had they known better. It wasn't too long after the N64 that the Saturn and Playstation had their sticks that are pretty much the standard placement today.

Sony just stuck a couple of sticks on their existing pad and called it a day. It was much less than perfect. Even up until the PS4, Sony's form factor was the red-headed stepchild of controllers. Sega started with a dpad/button gamepad as well, then made this monstrosity:

satcontth.jpg

virtualS

I can see something like that being real. Triggers on top (probably). Two analogue sticks. Virtual programmable buttons on face.

All WiiU games should work.

Physical button overlays might be available.

It's Nintendo. They need to be different.

Big Nikus

That's some hybrid console right there. It's shit mixed with poo-poo.
Joking. I'll buy anything that has a new Mario. And this thing is probably not the real deal.

You're all focusing on this thing having no real buttons, but MAYBE you control the games with your mind.

I can only imagine the cost of that thing. Off-screen's my favorite feature of the Wii U, but I'd argue that Nintendo didn't deliver on the second screen concept until very recently with Mario Maker.

I'm interested to see where Nintendo goes from here as a company. I called for a united Nintendo platform years ago, and it seems to be happening in some capacity, but the specifics of the input controls will determine whether they're going to be backward-facing to their traditional fanbase or forward-facing to attempt to capture a larger audience, as they did with the Wii.

This concept seems to be toeing the line, really not sure what to think of that.

Wow, that's a blast from the past.

This is in no way real why would anyone believe this is real

When has nintendo hardware ever leaked before release in anything close to real fashion?

The idea being floated is that they're haptic buttons, not touchscreen virtual buttons. Sort of like the haptic feedback on the Steam controller. They stick up and you can actually feel them.

Sony just stuck a couple of sticks on their existing pad and called it a day. It was much less than perfect. Even up until the PS4, Sony's form factor was the red-headed stepchild of controllers. Sega started with a dpad/button gamepad as well, then made this monstrosity:

satcontth.jpg

The Playstation analogue controller was pretty much perfect. It's the exact same configuration that they have used all the way up to the PS4 we play today, 20 years later.

The Saturn's placement is great as well, set above the d-pad. This is also a configuration we use today with the Xbox. They didn't need to make a third grip and add unnecessary and confusing configurations.

Unicorn

satcontth.jpg

analog still top tier today.

Sorry, I don't want an oval shaped controller where the entire face is a screen that has thumb pads going through it. I mean, this looks so ridiculous that it just about can't be real. You really think this is a good idea?
Let's not get carried away. Never said it was a good idea, only that the concept isn't as bonkers as some people are making it out to be. I could totally see Nintendo doing something like this.

Dmax3901

finally i can snort on a controller

ftSOCdX.gif

What am I looking at?
The whole controller is a screen?

Will be useful for spotting Nintendo's place in the market.

my game on NX

zN2c0TJ.png

that'd be cool

At work reading this thread, loving it. Thanks for the laughs and general intrigue. Can't wait to read more at home.

Instro

The Steam controller has physical buttons doesn't it? The only haptics I'm aware of with that controller are vibrations on the track pad.

jblank83

The Steam controller has physical buttons doesn't it? The only haptics I'm aware of with that controller are vibrations on the track pad.

Yes to both. The conjecture being that the "virtual" buttons here would be raised.

The Playstation analogue controller was pretty much perfect... The Saturn's placement is great as well, set above the d-pad. This is also a configuration we use today with the Xbox. They didn't need to make a third grip and add unnecessary and confusing configurations.

Yeah, ok, we'll agree to disagree.

Really GAF? After Nintendo brought out the Wii, you think that that would be their next evolution of a controller? What is the purpose of that controller's screen? How does that add value?

No.

so again i'll preface this post by saying that i don't believe this leak is real

but if it were then my first judgement would be to call it a damn fine controller with lots of value to both core and casual gamers

lets look at the purported design of this controller. it's got two analog sticks, physical a/b buttons, and what appear to be scroll wheel shoulder buttons, maybe? i'm going to assume there's l2/r2 triggers as well. and of course a giant touch screen. so maybe the controller would be uniquely accessible, as the general purpose a/b buttons could be accompanied by any number of specially labeled and shaped buttons using the touch screen and some haptic feedback. you've still got physical buttons for the most important inputs and game-specific touch buttons for pretty much any function the devs desire. imagine the customization and accessibility possibilities. next super mario game, there's text besides each of the physical buttons - 'Run' and 'Jump', and maybe virtual buttons positioned nearby labeled 'Spin' and 'Item', maybe even custom buttons for things like long jumping and backflipping for ease-of-use purposes. Or maybe you're playing a shooter and tapping the virtual 'change weapon' button brings up a weapon wheel that you can just tap your selection with. and the unique form factor of the screen would go a decent way in refreshing the idea of dual screens in a lot of people's minds. that thing looks fairly sleek and unlike any other device of its kind out there. and just like with the touch buttons, you'd have a place to place touch-activated ui elements and gameplay mechanics, that isn't as unreasonable an ask as the Wii U's larger/further away touch screen. a controller like that would lend itself really well to a solid interface supporting limited multitasking ala PS4/XB1, and a more powerful system with proper account and communication systems might have the benefit of stronger communication options, and a controller like that would be a sweet place to stick video feeds of your friends or party chat uis.

213372bu

Banned
I can confirm Zelda is indeed coming to NX

yN8fwIW.png

Looks real to me.

I thought the bright green lines were just bad masking, but I'm pretty sure they're patented lines used to create a nice visible border to help better accentuate the CDI's visuals from the dual analog control scheme.

/kill me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom