• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smellycat

atdFWlW.jpg

Hahaha

AGITΩ

The analog sticks look like they arent cababke of movement. If someone was trying to copy the patent picture, the lack of grips really makes it seem uncomfortable. Im not really buying this as legit, especially with a lack of physical buttons and D Pad.

Jobbs

Banned
Maybe the virtual buttons are only "kinda" virtual because they're grooved underneath.

And maybe there are mad buttons on the back.

AGITΩ;198576005 said:
The analog sticks look like they arent cababke of movement. If someone was trying to copy the patent picture, the lack of grips really makes it seem uncomfortable. Im not really buying this as legit, especially with a lack of physical buttons and D Pad.

There are physical buttons, there's an a/b button, the a button is just hard to see. I guess going by this concept the physical buttons would somehow be overlaid over the screen

so again i'll preface this post by saying that i don't believe this leak is real

but if it were then my first judgement would be to call it a damn fine controller with lots of value to both core and casual gamers

lets look at the purported design of this controller. it's got two analog sticks, physical a/b buttons, and what appear to be scroll wheel shoulder buttons, maybe? i'm going to assume there's l2/r2 triggers as well. and of course a giant touch screen. so maybe the controller would be uniquely accessible, as the general purpose a/b buttons could be accompanied by any number of specially labeled and shaped buttons using the touch screen and some haptic feedback. you've still got physical buttons for the most important inputs and game-specific touch buttons for pretty much any function the devs desire. imagine the customization and accessibility possibilities. next super mario game, there's text besides each of the physical buttons - 'Run' and 'Jump', and maybe virtual buttons positioned nearby labeled 'Spin' and 'Item', maybe even custom buttons for things like long jumping and backflipping for ease-of-use purposes. Or maybe you're playing a shooter and tapping the virtual 'change weapon' button brings up a weapon wheel that you can just tap your selection with. and the unique form factor of the screen would go a decent way in refreshing the idea of dual screens in a lot of people's minds. that thing looks fairly sleek and unlike any other device of its kind out there. and just like with the touch buttons, you'd have a place to place touch-activated ui elements and gameplay mechanics, that isn't as unreasonable an ask as the Wii U's larger/further away touch screen. a controller like that would lend itself really well to a solid interface supporting limited multitasking ala PS4/XB1, and a more powerful system with proper account and communication systems might have the benefit of stronger communication options, and a controller like that would be a sweet place to stick video feeds of your friends or party chat uis.
Yep agreed. This is some of the stuff I was posting earlier in the thread.

We shouldn't get carried away with hopeful speculation, but I think some of these things are possible. The notion of an oval-shaped controller with customizable touch-buttons near the edges is certainly not the weirdest thing they've done. We're talking about a company that decided to make a dual-screen stylus-controlled handheld in a time when Blackberrys were dying.

gafneo

Banned
What really bugs me is that everyone was ok with the bluebrint leak and now they are judging a home made version that will probably look close to the real thing. People will ruin Nintendo over their panicy assumptions. The internet is full of scumbags who want to kill great companies for no reason. They think its funny to react. Oh lets destroy Ghostbusters because its fun to copy all the other psychos on the internet. Lets cause riots and put preasure on succesful people. Worked for Iwata before he past. Bet that duct he had was from stress related to negative harassment. Get over it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What really bugs me is that everyone was ok with the bluebrint leak and now they are judging a home made version that will probably look close to the real thing. People will ruin Nintendo over their panicy assumptions. The internet is full of scumbags who want to kill great companies for no reason. They think its funny to react. Oh lets destroy Ghostbusters because its fun to copy all the other psychos on the internet. Lets cause riots and put preasure on succesful people. Worked for Iwata before he past. Bet that duct he had was from stress related to negative harassment. Get over it.
This is GAFneo.gif

Yep agreed. This is some of the stuff I was posting earlier in the thread.

We shouldn't get carried away with hopeful speculation, but I think some of these things are possible. The notion of an oval-shaped controller with customizable touch-buttons near the edges is certainly not the weirdest thing they've done. We're talking about a company that decided to make a dual-screen stylus-controlled handheld in a time when Blackberrys were dying.

Blackberrys dying in 2004?

Instro

Yes to both. The conjecture being that the "virtual" buttons here would be raised.

To my knowledge that microfluid screen technology hasn't gone anywhere as of yet. As far as haptics are concerned the most advanced thing is the ability to make someone feel textures using vibrations, which is also not ready for market. If Nintendo were to go with digital buttons, the best you could probably hope for is what the iphone has going right now.

i don't know if this has been brought up, but why is the bottom of the controller so off center(the part that is not the touch screen)?

Blackberrys dying in 2004?
I believe DS came out around the same time as the iPhone? Anyway, I don't remember stylus-controlled phones being the "wave of the future". My point was simply that Nintendo has released some really, really bizarro technology in their handhelds over the last decade:

- dual screens
- integrated microphone
- stylus-based touch controls
- lens-free 3D
- gyroscope controls

A touch display in the shape of an oval is not really that weird when you look back.

Kamina

Golden Boy
IF this is real we cant really say that the ergonomics are off because we havnt seen the backside. It looks similar to the PSP/Vita shape, so if it is nicely formed in the back i guess it could work.

Ansatz

Zelda Wii U version redeemed?

Even if I think this is fake, I expect very similar reactions at the reveal whatever NX actually is.

213372bu

Banned

As a Nintendo fan, what is this tactic that is Nintendo super strong or super weak depending on what the situation is?

Kinda the reason why I don't visit any Nintendo threads.

In lots of threads people tout Nintendo as being strong and being able to take any amount of pressure for consoles on end and still end up as a beast of a company.

Then comes the time where something is criticized and people are shaking in their seats wondering if people's words are going to make Nintendo go under/3rd party.

No company is going to go under because some people on an internet videogame forum are saying the design looks bad or think that it's fake.

I'm not sure if it was talked about yet but uh.....isn't the image upside down? There looks to be a camera on the top of it (well the bottom in the picture) and having the plug on the bottom would make it easier for the cord (so it doesn't have to curve from sitting off the top and going down...of that makes sense)

When I first looked at it earlier it looked like the sticks were hollow but now I see the note and then turned the pic upside down and...well it doesn't change much but looks better to my brain.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm not sure if it was talked about yet but uh.....isn't the image upside down? There looks to be a camera on the top of it (well the bottom in the picture) and having the plug on the bottom would make it easier for the cord (so it doesn't have to curve from sitting off the top and going down...of that makes sense)

When I first looked at it earlier it looked like the sticks were hollow but now I see the note and then turned the pic upside down and...well it doesn't change much but looks better to my brain.

The yellow text (framerate counter?) would be facing the wrong direction in that case.

sappyday

I don't believe it but I believe Nintendo doing something stupid like this. I swear if the NX has a stupid gimmick to it I'm skipping it. Not sure if it does since I haven't been following the patents and leaks.

213372bu

Banned
The yellow text (framerate counter?) would be facing the wrong direction in that case.

It also is formatted:
XX.XX.X(ineligible)

Couldn't be framerate

Edit:

Actually the Number is 62.22 and there looks like two characters in a space after the .22.

NVM

Vibranium

Banned
I'm calling BS on this one. We'll see in a few months or so, but it just doesn't seem like a final design, regardless of the patent.

uhhh if it is real..why can't Nintendo at least try to give us a normal controller?

I know they like to be quirky but after the Wii U they need a home run. I am not playing on anything that uses touchscreen buttons.

Ah I didn't see that but I was actually going to suggest maybe the display flips when you hold it sideways in the "other direction" like a phone display would.

uJGzaP7.jpg

I dunno it just seems bizzare for a possible camera (and.. IR sensor?)to be on the bottom.

Although there looks like those little holes you'd tie charms to or like the Wiimote wrist straps too. I dunno it's bizarre lmao

Neoxon

Ah I didn't see that but I was actually going to suggest maybe the display flips when you hold it sideways in the "other direction" like a phone display would.

uJGzaP7.jpg

I dunno it just seems bizzare for a possible camera (and.. IR sensor?)to be on the bottom.

Although there looks like those little holes you'd tie charms to or like the Wiimote wrist straps too. I dunno it's bizarre lmao
But look at the haptic B button.

Gsnap

I see it now. That is straight up ET. I guess I will say "wow", because wow, that it 100% ET. His eye is so detailed and the nose is right where it should be.

And the sticks don't look like they can actually move. Pretty much can't be real at this point.

That said, if they made a controller that actually looked comfortable, and then had a normal sized screen that just "extended" to the edges, and then that extension had all the normal buttons and such I think that'd be cool. You'd get all the important info you've always gotten on a regular sized screen, but then because of the extended sides it would increase the information in your peripheral vision, increasing immersion, giving everything a more natural feel and such. And individual devs could always just make that part of the screen black if they needed to. Could be cool.

Taker666

If it is the controller for a console, I don't think it will be the final form ..as there's really no reason they wouldn't have standard controller shaped prongs coming off the side/bottom (ala the original patent). The screen shape only really makes sense egonomically if slotted onto the top of a classic controller shaped base.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I find interesting the fact that the port where you connect the Nunchuk, Wii Classic Pro controller etc is totally different from the final design YET the Wii U Gamepad has a very similar (if not the same) port from the Wii prototype which to this day has yet to be used at all.

You raise a good point. What the hell is that big ass port on the WiiU gamepad for?

bachikarn

I don't think the idea of a free form display as a controller is a bad idea, but this particular implementation doesn't look that good.

Squire

Banned
You're overthinking this. From a traditional standpoint that extra screen space seems like a "waste", but what if those edge areas are filled with various menus, buttons, and shortcuts that you can quickly tap with your thumb? The purpose of the edge area (if this is real) isn't to display more of the game world, but to simply server as a palette for whatever buttons the dev wants to put into the game.

A game like Monster Hunter 4 U is a great example of this concept. It let you customize your bottom screen with a ton of different menu styles, buttons, maps, and you could even adjust the size and orientation of some of the buttons.

The image itself implies this isn't what they're going for.

I know I'm way off but it reminds me of the rocks from Dragon Quest XI footage. Even if this is legit, I don't think there would be any reason why some random developer that I'm assuming to be from the west to have access to a build of one of the biggest Japanese IPs.
ZDCJm0H.png

I thought someone would catch this before me.

OQIFOtY.png

OF course i could be wrong. OF COURSE THIS COULD BE FAKE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom