• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GamePad was never really super heavily supported with unique features, and drove up the cost of the Wii U substantially.

I can't for the life of me think Nintendo would replicate that mistake again

Its not just this tiny thread. Everywhere I go, people have to bash everything. It's sickening that people have stoop this low and its amoung the general public that feeds into this. You see Metacritic? I can't believe all the stuff I'm reading from user comments.
Nintendo's had a horrible past few months on Metacritic. Some of their most consistently bad games in years. Hopefully it's because they're putting all the top men into working on this... controller.

Nanashrew

Banned
Ya'll reading through the reddit page? The guy doesn't even seem to really know what it is and I dunno what will even make people here read it.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
It just hit me that the whole front is a screen...I didn't know wtf I was looking at I thought it was foil or something lol.

Malus

The GamePad was never really super heavily supported with unique features, and drove up the cost of the Wii U substantially.

Ever since that Japan Times article where they said Nintendo was buying up Sharp's free form displays I thought it was a given. Hopefully they can find a way to cap the price at $300.

SalvaPot

Nintendo's had a horrible past few months on Metacritic. Some of their most consistently bad games in years. Hopefully it's because they're putting all the top men into working on this... controller.
On the other had we got Mario & Luigi Paper Jam and Xenoblade Chronicles X, I think Nintendo is fine.

Ever since that Japan Times article where they said Nintendo was buying up Sharp's free form displays I thought it was a given. Hopefully they can find a way to cap the price at $300.

That just seems like a gargantuan mistake to me if they do another screened "tablet" controller. Consuners have overwhelmingly proven they could care less about it

goldenpp72

If the thing had face buttons and good battery life, well, sure I guess. Unfortunately after the Wiimote caused so many great games to get handicapped, I can't say I have generic faith in Nintendo.

Obviously this could be fake, but I find a lot of times people say they know it is and then are shocked later, so i'll stay on the safe 'unsure' side :p

Herne

I love how starved we always are for leaked shots of Nintendo hardware that nearly always prove to be fake that everyone and their dog contribute to write dozens of pages in mere minutes every time. Every time.

Vinland

Banned
As a controller I think that it could be interesting. The screen on the sides of the sticks are completely pointless to large hands. Hope it is a fake. Pray to Toast Jesus that it is.

Spman2099

I love how starved we always are for leaked shots of Nintendo hardware that nearly always prove to be fake that everyone and their dog contribute to write dozens of pages in mere minutes every time. Every time.

Nintendo appears sorta unhinged. So you never know what they are going to do. That is what makes rumors like this one so powerful.

"That looks terrible, who would ever green light that?" says your brain. Then it pauses for a second, remembers how Nintendo operates. The next thought is closer to "Oh my God, that is legit, isn't it?".

jmizzal

That just seems like a gargantuan mistake to me if they do another screened "tablet" controller. Consuners have overwhelmingly proven they could care less about it

That has more to do with the NX handheld then anything, we dont know if the NX console will have a screen

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I have a ps4 and Xbox one for that. I love nintendos crazy designs, makes things interesting every gen.
Rarely do I feel that the small amount of games that truly take advantage of whatever controller gimmick they come up with are worth it in the grand scheme of things.

Is anyone else seeing holes instead of sticks when oriented like in the OP? It's fine if I flip the picture vertically though. My girlfriend only sees sticks no matter how much she turns her phone around. It's the blue/gold dress all over again.

Fake.

Nintendo always uses B -> A

This controller has it like A -> B

QBALEbD.png

B is always at the bottom of the diamond for Ninty

Nanashrew

Banned
So let's recap. This Idriss2Dev guy posts this image, says he's a game dev, says it's not his office, the logo is blocked by tape. Also says he'll "take video of it, but no promises."

The patent only described possible functionality of free form display and button and paddle ideas and placement. It was NOT a design patent. And before anyone brings up the Wii U Gamepad and Wii remote design patents, those came after the reveal of the systems. Hell, the design patent for the Wii remote was done in 2008 not a year before the system was shown or the year it was shown.

I honestly don't know how anyone could take this as real.

Rarely do I feel that the small amount of games that truly take advantage of whatever controller gimmick they come up with are worth it in the grand scheme of things.
The Wii and the DS worked out very well. Wii U was a good controller that wasn't a detriment to any experience, but it was expensive. Not sure if this will be the same case.
Nintendo makes good controllers. Always have while adding something new so if this is what they're going with it'll likely work out well and be comfortable to use

The Wii and the DS worked out very well. Wii U was a good controller that wasn't a detriment to any experience, but it was expensive. Not sure if this will be the same case.
Nintendo makes good controllers. Always have while adding something new so if this is what they're going with it'll likely work out well and be comfortable to use

This cant be real, right ?
They wouldnt make something as bad as this controller ?

This cant be real, right ?
They wouldnt make something as bad as this controller ?
The ergonomics and other aspects probably aren't finalized, but they're more than likely going to use this tech in some way. Wii U post reveal added two more buttons and changed the circle pads to analog sticks, so this could add some buttons and grips.
Or maybe the controller's tech makes up for the lack of buttons and is great on its own. Don't think Nintendo would take this plunge if they didn't think it was good.
I wouldn't be so opposed with the mindset "please don't be real" because even if it turns out to be a great controller you'll still be disappointed

The ergonomics and other aspects probably aren't finalized, but they're more than likely going to use this tech in some way. Wii U post reveal added two more buttons and changed the circle pads to analog sticks, so this could add some buttons and grips.
Or maybe the controller's tech makes up for the lack of buttons and is great on its own. Don't think Nintendo would take this plunge if they didn't think it was good.
I wouldn't be so opposed with the mindset "please don't be real" because even if it turns out to be a great controller you'll still be disappointed

The problem wouldnt be the design or ergonomics imo. I mean, controllers from devkits are so different from the real ones.

The idea itself is the big problem. If that's Nintendo secret plan... WOW.
That screams desperate useless gimmick to me. Basically Wii U gamepad without buttons.

kirby_fox

Banned
The only way I'm in is if the touch screen is one of those fancy ones that can make things feel textured or like buttons.

Because I mean, how amazing would that tech be to have in your hands? Better than 3D for sure.

Mariolee

This is more accurately where I'm at. I think it's cool but I really don't wamna be bogged down with an expensive controller again.

Kevin

I have been a huge Nintendo fan since the beginning but if this is the controller for the new system then I think I am done... lol wow!

Probably fake. Had nintendo hardware ever been leaked before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom