• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
5cWMuao.png

Here's a visual demonstration of how I see it all working. Basically the buttons labeled "A" and "B" are not physical, the screen uses haptic feedback to make virtual buttons feel like physical ones so each game can have its own setup. As you can see in the image Super Mario 3D World is limited to just run and jump as those are the only inputs the game uses, other games make have 4 virtual buttons or 6 or 12. Whether a Dpad will be in the final product is interesting, perhaps the exchangeable buttons patent we saw? We could even switch the analog sticks for circle pads to benefit portability.
I'd kind of want the right stick to be the A button. You'd rarely have to jump and move the camera at the same time and it's a physical button you'll always have your thumb on.
Though it would make running hard to do

georly

1. Take patent designs
2. Create in modelling program
3. 3D print for dirt cheap using Shapeways
4. Photoshop UE4 demo on it

It really isn't too difficult to fake

It's more difficult than just photoshopping something, since it requires the use of a 3D printer. I can definitely be done - especially by a college student with free time and access to their school's 3D printer or something. There are articles on kotaku about people doing elaborate fakes for fun. It's definitely possible this is fake.
Its a lot of effort to achieve nothing.

http://kotaku.com/the-fake-video-game-rumor-someone-spread-for-homewor-1699726881

If it is real, it is more of an evolution of the Wii U tablet controller.

The problem with the Wii U tablet is that it is big, bulky and has a huge border around the screen. So putting the tablet controller up to your TV screen blocks your view. This new controller fixes those issues.

That's a lot of wasted time just for some internet lulz.
I'm hoping it's an old prototype.

So is making up elaborate fakes, but this isn't even the most elaborate one we've seen. We've had people faking much more than this. People on the internet are attention whores. Some of them desperately want their 15 minutes of fame for some bizarre reason

It's more difficult than just photoshopping something, since it requires the use of a 3D printer. I can definitely be done - especially by a college student with free time and access to their school's 3D printer or something. There are articles on kotaku about people doing elaborate fakes for fun. It's definitely possible this is fake.

Shapeways.com
You don't need your own 3D printer, and you can download Blender for free. Faking something like this wouldn't really take that much effort at all. It's a fairly simply model and photoshop job and 3d printing something like that would cost a couple of bucks

Neff

Soooo, I hate to be that guy but the thread has over 3000 replies so I have to ask...what's the consensus?

It seems to be about a 50/50 split of believers and naysayers, but the most damning strikes against it are:

1) The screen is displaying a still from a public UE4 demo video.
2) It lacks Nintendo's trademark ergonomics.
3) It's a near 1:1 copy of a patent design, and patent designs usually use extremely basic, broad
images to convey information as simply as possible.
4) The photo has been up on many news sites for over half a day now and Nintendo has done nothing about it.

I think it's safe to say it's fake.

Joqu

Yeah with that picture it's gotta be fake. I'm assuming someone made a real mockup for it though, which is pretty impressive.

I guess they'll put out more pictures soon

This is the exact frame that was used. You can tell from the various parallax elements that converge at that moment ( pillars, branches etc. ).

IFQjguB.png

Quick & dirty perspective overlay ( close enough though ) ...

h1KxzWr.gif

Interesting, can't see your vid unfortunately but I see how it is cropped. I had wondered if the camera would let you peek around to see more, the new 3ds already uses the right tech for that but for a different reason.

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. So why is the demo's field of view so pitifully tiny? It doesn't demonstrate this ideal at all.

Assuming it's not fake, this is just a tech demo running on the hardware. First party titles would actually be designed to fit the form factor.

We don't know what the resolution would be, but using a wider field of view might make details too small.

Oersted

While I remain team fake, I would love to play a game like Eternal Darkness on this. The amount of fuckery would be glorious

All I'm saying is that for me Nintendo makes the best games and I'm OK with their weird hardware as long as it's the only way I can play their games.

That's nice, but clearly as time goes on there seems to be less and less of you. And that's a problem for Nintendo, which in turn could be a problem for you and the kinds of games you enjoy. You can't just live in this bubble where sales don't matter and you're just gonna be able to keep plucking Nintendo games off a Nintendo tree forever.

Honome

If it is real, it is more of an evolution of the Wii U tablet controller.

The problem with the Wii U tablet is that it is big, bulky and has a huge border around the screen. So putting the tablet controller up to your TV screen blocks your view. This new controller fixes those issues.

Totally agree with you, i have no problem with second screen but the design of the wiiu controller really made it painful to play for long, i am starting to enjoy the new concept after the initial shock!

At my college we once had a professionally printed forgery of one of our magazines distributed on campus. Complete with it's own photos, pictures and graphics. It would take the best senior a week and a some money to do, a mechatronics student and a friend with Photoshop could do this fake in an afternoon, not saying it is fake, but it's completely possible.

Codiox

I say this is legit. Usually when some kind of this leak happens, it's real.

We got this too with the dual shock 4 back in the days.

jblank83

I'm still thinking that those are physical A and B buttons, and that the rest of those buttons are simply underneath the touchscreen.

This means these buttons can be pressed, but their display can also be changed, since it's underneath a screen.

That's as plausible an idea as any.

At this point, we're all just "making believe" and spinning our wheels for the hell of it.

Yup I'm pissed the phone industry hasn't gotten this message. I'm so pissed phones these days are not bulky and have less buttons. They should stop removing stuff for convenience.

Oh my god. You really believe what you wrote ?
Removing input on a controller is more convenience ? The thing looks bulkier and inconvenient now come on.

Looks cool but the sides of the screen would be hidden under my thumbs, thus making it pointless and a waste of money for nintendo and the customers because they could go for a smaller traditional screen. The advantage I can see is that this controller can also act as an independent handheld, thus staying true to the concept of the NX, therefore...

LEGIT

Xiao Hu

You mean if you fell into a coma in 1994 and didn't know about everything since then

No I'm talking about the era when they actually had almost every major genre covered and were leading the market. The success of PlayStation/XBox shows that the meaning of 'fun' has drastically shifted away/evolved from what Nintendo thinks it is (And yes, blablabla Wii, blablabla DS).

That's nice, but clearly as time goes on there seems to be less and less of you. And that's a problem for Nintendo, which in turn could be a problem for you and the kinds of games you enjoy. You can't just live in this bubble where sales don't matter and you're just gonna be able to keep plucking Nintendo games off a Nintendo tree forever.

The problem is, the games arent even there. Wii U was a joke on that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom