• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

So Sony is matching most of the Upad features save for the screen, yet it features a more advanced motion tracking and analog triggers XD

I do wonder how practical is the absolute positioning tracking via camera when using a dual handed controler. What i mean is, that this type of tracking seems better to me for one handed controllers like Wii Remote or Move.

xptoxyz

Probably been covered but didn't see it. Is the small round thing at the bottom one of the buttons? Perhaps the share one? Also if the light bar is a system thing it might be for notifications, seems a bit big for that though?

So looks like the share stuff was right after all.

no start/select is weird.... but at the same time, in most games, the select button was pretty useless. usually one accessed the menu, and the other paused. having just one options buttons makes a lot more sense.

When emulating ps1 games and such, the start/select will probably be on the touchpad, left side = select, right side = start
option button will probably be for the emulator options. and PS button for the standard menu.

Or they'll just use option+share in legacy games and disable the share function in them.

Probably been covered but didn't see it. Is the small round thing at the bottom one of the buttons? Perhaps the share one? Also if the light bar is a system thing it might be for notifications, seems a bit big for that though?

Thought to be a headset connector.

waypoetic

Banned
As you guys apparently didn't read my last post i'll just mention this a second time, maybe the most important qoute from PSNation - "This version was sent to devs about 2 weeks ago".

Zabka

Looks cool but I need to see the L2 and R2 triggers.

If they look just like those plastic tabs I bought for my PS3 pads I will be extremely happy.

Elios83

As you guys apparently didn't read my last post i'll just mention this a second time, maybe the most important qoute from PSNation - "This version was sent to devs about 2 weeks ago".

IGN is claiming the opposite, it's real but it's an early prototype.
I don't know who's right but I'm surprised to see how compact and small the PS4 dev kit is. At least the dev kit must be recent.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The more I look at this thing the more I really really like it. It seems to address every issue I have with the DS.

Same here. It looks exactly how I wanted the controller to evolve and improve. Hopefully it shares some of the Vita's aesthetic style on the final controller (PS Gucci touchpad, shiny rings around D-pad and face buttons). If they've listened to wants from developers/gamers on the console's abilities and featureset as much as they've seemed to with the controller, PS4 is going to be a real return to form for Sony.

iceatcs

gif compare
DS3DS4compare_zps19bb5a6f.gif

DS3DS4compare2_zps4a747677.gif

plainr_

If they maintain the length of the controller in the final design, I think people whose thumbs collide on the DS3 will be happy about this.

Elios83

If they maintain the length of the controller in the final design, I think people who's thumbs collide on the DS3 will be happy about this.

It will be necessarily bigger and longer than the DS3, not by much but it will, otherwise the touch pad wouldn't be usable.

Looks fine. I don't think a touchpad is really needed and I'm not into the whole Xbox idea of making the controll bigger than it needs to be. Good placement on the sticks and better triggers, it's fine.

waypoetic

Banned
I don't know who's right but I'm surprised to see how compact and small the PS4 dev kit is. At least the dev kit must be recent.

I trust PSNation, or more specifically Glenn Percival of PSNation - he's got some friends and contacts in the dev community and marketing.

While I have very little interest in the PS4, it will be interesting to see if this gets largely ignored during when bringing games multiplat. Seems like it might be a waste of money.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Looks way better this way. You can see it's a pretty big improvement, even in the prototype.

I'm also happy about digital buttons. They feel better than analogue and the analogue features were only used in MGS2 and 3 and were way too finnicky.

No, they were used more than that, but they were rarely (if ever) all that useful or necessary. An example is Uncharted 1, where you have analogue control of the jetski's speed with the X button. GT5 is another one, as is Wipeout HD, etc.

daveo42

Banned
The more I look at this thing the more I really really like it. It seems to address every issue I have with the DS.

I think the design needs to be fleshed out a little more. It's either the nature of the image or the controller, but the sticks themselves look somewhat odd and don't necessarily fit the controller design and the controller a bit too bulky still.

Not looked at IGN but they're both saying the same thing IMO, obviously not early in the R&D sense but it's not the final consumer unit. (unless all they need to do is add button labels)

BLAZER

Looks like something designed from the 1980's showing what controllers will look like in the future. Doesn't look good at all, but as long as it feels right in the hands that's the main thing.

Drain You

So...

Sony managed the impossible, to please everyone?

Fans of DS3 and 360 pad seem to like?

Winner.

That is yet to be seen. After I see the triggers I will decide. Absolutely hate the stick placement but I know the opinion on that is generally split. It is however something I can deal with.

I waited a bit before having a knee jerk reaction, to let the design sink in.

The analogs don't convince me in the slightest but I kinda dig the rest. Will have to hold one in my hands before I can have anything else to say.

Izick

I think he's talking about the touchpad or PSMove.

----------

I think those grooves are a good idea. I love the 360's controlsticks but you can lose your grip sometimes. I think the newer, monochrome 360 controllers have this idea on their sticks, but done to a lesser extent.

Oublieux

no start/select is weird.... but at the same time, in most games, the select button was pretty useless. usually one accessed the menu, and the other paused. having just one options buttons makes a lot more sense.

When emulating ps1 games and such, the start/select will probably be on the touchpad, left side = select, right side = start
option button will probably be for the emulator options. and PS button for the standard menu.

This and the digital buttons basically cross out backwards compatibility off the list right? I wonder what Sony is going to do about the PSN purchases that required such buttons.

Pimpbaa

Because the majority of games control via the left analog stick and should be put in the primary default resting position on the controller instead of being anchored to a design from the late 90's.

Default resting position? Your thumbs can move you know. I can rest my thumbs on the d-pad and buttons or the 2 sticks.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I like the chunkiness of it. Looks comfortable to use.

Top Bottom