• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

Az

nope

Edit: You can kinda see the person who took the photo in the reflection.

Oh shit, quick, use a GUI interface using visual basic to track the leakers IP address.

Orayn

Based on the high resolution picture, the middle of the sticks still look convex, they just have sort of donut-shaped outer section now.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I like the shape. I have big hands so I've always preferred a more rotund controller. The touch panel and potentially built-in Move features makes me think these things are going to be pretty fucking expensive though.

UrbanRats

I thought the face buttons were only pressure sensitive on PS2 (causing me major headaches in MGS2-3), are you sure PS3's were too?

Saberus

This gamepad actually looks like a downgrade from the DS...I don't know how that was possible. As somebody with bigger hands, this thing looks like it will be an absolute nightmare to hold. The touchpad looks awkward as heck.

LoL... You guys are priceless, the final controller will be great, I have faith in Kaz.

Mikey Jr.

The only thing that worries me is the girth. I like the general smallness of the DS. This thing looks way "heftier". Hopefully its just a proto thing and it slims down a little.

Orayn

I like the shape. I have big hands so I've always preferred a more rotund controller. The touch panel and built in move makes me think these things are going to be pretty fucking expensive though.

They most likely will be more expensive than DS3s, but a touchpad and some bright colored LEDs probably have a total cost in the low to mid single digits of US dollars.

That's what I've been saying...

Yeah, I was just trying to describe it in different terms. I also tried sketching what I thought the cross section would be like, but it didn't go very well.

Oublieux

I thought the face buttons were only pressure sensitive on PS2 (causing me major headaches in MGS2-3), are you sure PS3's were too?

Pretty sure... mostly because I own the MGS HD Collection for PS3 and I know they didn't change the control scheme for it.

I'm curious by what VGLeaks have said about the buttons, but more the "Options" button. How could that be implemented?

The Share and PS button according to them are reserved for the system, so does that mean the Orbis will have some kind of capture device on the machine and it isn't down to the developers any more to include it in their titles? That would make the console a must buy for me.

Izick

They most likely will be more expensive than DS3s, but a touchpad and some bright colored LEDs probably have a total cost in the low to mid single digits of US dollars.

Yeah, I was just trying to describe it in different terms. I also tried sketching what I thought the cross section would be like, but it didn't go very well.

It's kind of like if you put a pizza on top of a rubber ball or something. It would still be pointed up or convex, but the crust would still be higher around it.

Piggus

Notice how R1 and L1 are set further back? It seems to indicate that they will be in a more natural position. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there aren't real triggers back there.

You guys will never get it, will you?

You're not getting a 360 controller, so stop asking for those things. If you want a 360 controller, you can go get a 360. Sony couldn't care less about if you purchase or not. The Internet is not the majority.

Izick

You guys will never get it, will you?

You're not getting a 360 controller, so stop asking for those things. If you want a 360 controller, you can go get a 360. Sony couldn't care less about if you purchase or not. The Internet is not the majority.

Yeah, that's why they changed the sticks, shape, and the triggers of the thing almost completely. Yeah, you're right.

Izick

The shape to add more stuff. The triggers will resemble what was on the move. The sticks are still in the same place, so yeah.

Right. The sticks are redone from the Dualshock. The triggers were redone because they were garbage on the DS3. The problem is that people like you are afraid of any kind of change what so ever, and think that a controller's design should be sacred.

Right. The sticks are redone from the Dualshock. The problem is that people like you are afraid of any kind of change what so ever, and think that a controller's design should be sacred.

Afraid of change? The changes already made are mostly embraced.

Mikey Jr.

That was a problem for me, instead.

Yeah, thats the thing with controllers. It's hard to get 1 controller that EVERYONE loves. Everyone has some sort of preference. For instance, I like the looseness of the sticks and dislike the resistance of the 360 one. Its opposite for other people. I'm willing to sacrifice some stuff if it means more people enjoy using the controller.

Btw, Dualshock 3 fans, question:

Do you hope that R1 is still used as the "shoot" button rather than R2 if R2 is turned into "triggers". R1 is just so much more comfortable to use for me personally. But I fear they will change it to be more inline with the xbox unfortunately.

I have come around. If that is a speaker AND a Mic on the front, and the speaker is for Voice Chat, that would be pretty cool...You could still use a headset if you want but everyone would have a Michael on PS4. It may be a unique way to do it but at least Sony did it.

The headset\mic plugin on the bottom rumor does baffle me. Why? Most headsets are wireless anyways...Seems like it wouldnt be necessary...is there something I am missing?

Right. The sticks are redone from the Dualshock. The problem is that people like you are afraid of any kind of change what so ever, and think that a controller's design should be sacred.

I don't care what they do with the controller. I'm just telling these people with cyclopes hands that they aren't getting what's on the 360 controller.

Sony could give me a joy stick and 3 buttons and I'd be satisfied because I wouldn't buy another console over it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Not if you're on a vehicle they're not.

Well that's really their only purpose. They make twitchy games more difficult.

It's really the type of game you play whether you like them or not. Short throw triggers is a nice compromise.

Do you hope that R1 is still used as the "shoot" button rather than R2 if R2 is turned into "triggers". R1 is just so much more comfortable to use for me personally. But I fear they will change it to be more inline with the xbox unfortunately.

Personally, I'd rather the "shoot" button be a binary button (like R1). It really all depends on how the controller sits in the hands, though.

Izick

Afraid of change? The changes already made are mostly embraced.

Right, and? I'm just saying that Sony adapted their controller to be like the 360's in ways because the 360's was better in some areas. I hope Microsoft does the same for their next console, the d-pad for instance.

I don't care what they do with the controller. I'm just telling these people with cyclopes hands that they aren't getting what's on the 360 controller.

Sony could give me a joy stick and 3 buttons and I'd be satisfied because I wouldn't buy another console over it.

Oh boy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think it looks great, despite not being the finalized retail version. I'm thankful that the sticks are in the same place as the other DualShocks and the click-touchpad seems like a neat addition.

sant

Btw, Dualshock 3 fans, question:

I'd prefer they use R2 if it has triggers. On all my controllers the R1 button is busted from overuse.

bigace33

So it's the Fumblesticks 3 with a screen on it? Was hoping for something all new or either a straight up rip off of the magnificent 360 controller+ improved d-pad.

Top Bottom