• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid reviews Neogaffers reviews of an Uncharted 3 review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Meier said:
I feel like diehard Sony fans (does anyone use Psyborgs any more?) are probably the most over the top this generation about their prized series because it's tough to accept their guy has gone from a distant first to a distant third so they're in defensive mode.

Wow, I was just reading along, and then I spot this.... I don't think I can even come up with an objective response... I mean.... wow.... Now that is a fanboy response from the Zune Defense Force... Bro.....

Josh7289

Anteater said:
I don't like them either :p that's why I got the hell out of the review thread, people were just being bittered over the bitterness and trying to get back at each other at the end.

Once it gets to a certain point, it's impossible to just make jokes and have fun.
Haha, same. I peeked in that thread a bit, but it was too stupid to actually post in. Oh well. Gamers will be gamers.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
EviLore said:
Ultimately they're just cherrypicked comments from a huge thread, but with the site continuing to grow and the gaming forum only having so much space, we're encountering this sort of scenario more and more frequently, where civility breaks down and we enter youtube comment land for a while.

I'm mildly embarrassed to see something like this about NeoGAF hit the news cycle, and "their sites get just as bad" is not an appropriate comeback; NeoGAF has its own standards and those need to be upheld, so we'll keep trying to wrangle the hypelings.
you can start by doubling my pay.

Cornbread78 said:
Wow, I was just reading along, and then I spot this.... I don't think I can even come up with an objective response... I mean.... wow.... Now that is a fanboy response from the Zune Defense Force... Bro.....

He's right, and what does the Zune have to do with anything?

As hilarious and ridiculous as those comments are, they still do not top the "word of God" reactions I tend to see on most, if not all, of Sterling's "reviews."

Sterling himself might make a few good points once in a while but that guy is part of why people (or just I) can't take "gamez journalism lolzz" seriously with the way he writes articles.

SpacLock

Destructoid had another similar article a year or so ago about how PS3 fans are the most annoyingly vocal fans out of the three. Maybe they still believe that.

Usually their articles are pretty hilarious. I really liked the Dead Premonition review they did.

Mael

EviLore said:
Ultimately they're just cherrypicked comments from a huge thread, but with the site continuing to grow and the gaming forum only having so much space, we're encountering this sort of scenario more and more frequently, where civility breaks down and we enter youtube comment land for a while.

I'm mildly embarrassed to see something like this about NeoGAF hit the news cycle, and "their sites get just as bad" is not an appropriate comeback; NeoGAF has its own standards and those need to be upheld, so we'll keep trying to wrangle the hypelings.

Good to know.

The whole thing is incredibly stupid to begin with, from the review threads to the downright moronic comments.
Why the fuck we even have review threads? Most people's post on their view on a game are 80% more informative than anything written by the jokers getting paid to funnel us to the nearest gamespot.
Ans as embarrassing as this might seems it's still way less embarrassing than the threads where we have people explaining to us that our consumer's right should be given up in order to allow sad little devs to scrounge enough money to pass the month.

jim-jam bongs said:

He is? You might need to check out some reactions from fans of other platforms. There isn't any difference in how fanboys react to a major game on their platform not being received as well as they'd like.

WinFonda

This whole 'controversy' is really fucking contrived.

Mamarobotnik compiled a list of every reaction to the review. Some of them were over-the-top, for sure, but the thread itself really wasn't a firestorm of hate.

Then a mod changes the thread title to spotlight the 'controversial' review. 1 review out of dozens.

GAF cannibalizes itself. I blame GAF.

Kinyou

SpacLock said:
Destructoid had another similar article a year or so ago about how PS3 fans are the most annoyingly vocal fans out of the three. Maybe they still believe that..
To be fair... that is kind of true. Not because they are more annoying than other fanboys (a fanboy is a fanboy no matter where he's from) but simply that there are more of them.

plagiarize said:
it's funny to me that you keep on saying this. i make no secret of how passionately i feel about what reviewers should be able to talk about, but you word your posts so passively.

i've not heard anyone counter this...

where does this belief that a stupid post should only get a couple of responses come from? the more spectacularly stupid the post is, the more responses i'd expect it to get.

and there *continues* to be people making the same kind of complaints about that Eurogamer thread. it's not like the stupidity stopped, and then people pointed and laughed for two days. it continues.

yes, lots of us are reacting to it, but what's hard to understand about that?

the reaction to stupid posts is going to be more in line with how stupid the posts were, than how many stupid posts there were.
It comes from people not seeing why anyone would want to harp on the same thing for days. In what world is multiple threads and pages upon pages (about 40 in the review thread) of reactions to the reactions are reasonable? Never, it's an overreaction and i will continue to mock it if the subject ever comes up again. Especially when a good amount of the comments are sarcastic jokes and taken out of context.

LosDaddie

Banned
Really goes to show how GAF would be another horrid forum, like Gamespot's System Wars, if not for Evilore & Co holding shit down. A great team of mods/admins make all the difference in the (forum) world.

Also, another example of GAF -> Internet -> GAF

Mama Robotnik said:
New thread for new news. And the news is, well, us:

http://www.destructoid.com/does-uncharted-turn-people-psychotic--214590.phtml

There's more at the link of course. Owlowiscious also pointed out that we made Reddit too.

Not the shining hour for some of us, I imagine.

Again, great work there, Mama. Even had you referenced in a damn Destructoid article. :)

Nothing unexpected with GAF's reaction to the 8/10 review if you've been here long enough. Even the people Mama quoted weren't surprising.

Meier said:
I feel like diehard Sony fans (does anyone use Psyborgs any more?) are probably the most over the top this generation about their prized series because it's tough to accept their guy has gone from a distant first to a distant third so they're in defensive mode.

It's been fun to watch.

Corto

I would love to have access to post history still. Some commentaries seemed so outrageous that felt they were meant more to ignite the crazy reactions than to express honest opinions.

SolidSnakex said:
He is? You might need to check out some reactions from fans of other platforms. There isn't any difference in how fanboys react to a major game on their platform not being received as well as they'd like.

There is no group of fans more embarrassing on GAF than Sony fans. You can try to draw some type of equivalence with the other guys, but honestly it's not even a close contest.

Trevelyon

WinFonda said:

Mamarobotnik compiled a list of every reaction to the review. Some of them were over-the-top, for sure, but the thread itself really wasn't a firestorm of hate.

Then a mod changes the thread title to spotlight the 'controversial' review. 1 review out of dozens.

Shhh! Just keep perpetuating the fake controversy, maybe we can get an editorial on Kotaku.

Pump, pump it up.

Majmun

Smokey said:
Please do.

I said it earlier that this is pretty embarassing no matter if it's Destructoid or somebody else. It shines a bad light on this forum.

I think you're overreacting. Just like Destructoid is.

Not approving the crazy comments, but I think this has been blown out of proportion.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
WinFonda said:

yeah whoever change the thread title basically invited a round of negativity into that thread

SykoTech

Meier said:
(does anyone use Psyborgs any more?)

Wow. People are actually getting more immature as this goes on. And it's all coming from the other side of the fence now too.

We've come full circle.

I remember when I got upset over a review.

I was 13.

Reviews are fucking pointless. People already know what the score is without reading any reviews. If your score is different then you are clearly scum and you should stop writing. For some reason, reading reviews is not about getting info about a game, it's about seeing which site was right. That's pathetic.

Reviews either need to stop using scores, or go to a three point system (Yay/Nay/Meh)

Even though I like games and I like writing, reviewing games seems like the last thing in the world I would want to do professionally, because if I think about some of the scores I would give to some recent games I've played - I'd probably get lynched.

BeeDog

WinFonda said:

Pretty much. While the comments in the hall of shame list are stupid, this wouldn't be such a discussion point if others (who probably don't even have an interest in the game anyway) didn't balloon it to such a degree.

chris121580

I'm surprised they didn't link to the Geoff Keighley thread too. That one had more psychotic responses than the Uncharted thread

Ventilaator said:
I remember when I got upset over a review.
Reviews either need to stop using scores, or go to a three point system (Yay/Nay/Meh)

Didn't GFW try that for a bit? Pretty sure they were near killed when they tried NOT adding scores to a review, trying to shift attention to the actual review, as opposed to the number.

Josh7289

WinFonda said:

I agree with this. The only reason I even read the Eurogamer review for a game I don't even want was because of that thread title. This would have blown over (here on GAF at least) had it not been for that.

Curufinwe

SolidSnakex said:

I don't recall there being such an outcry on GAF when Eurogamer gave Gears of War 3 8/10.

BeeDog said:
Pretty much. While the comments in the hall of shame list are stupid, this wouldn't be such a discussion point if others (who probably don't even have an interest in the game anyway) didn't balloon it to such a degree.
It's a point of discussion because of the things it says about the relationship between the press and gamers, and the role they play in helping publishers to market their games free of charge.

Riposte

Feels like there is nothing to be said at this point. NeoGAF concluded that whole drama cycle by itself. Jim Sterling going for stupid, easy stories.

SykoTech

Curufinwe said:
I don't recall there being such an outcry on GAF when Eurogamer gave Gears of War 3 8/10.

Gears isn't a sacred cow on GAF though. Certainly not like Zelda or Uncharted anyway. Those 2 will both be the Top 2 for GotY, and Gears will be lucky to make the Top 5.

chris121580

Mortrialus said:
Can you clarify what you're talking about?
I tried doing a search but I bet it got deleted. Keighley tweeted one day about one of the big holiday games that he was currently playing through being a bit disappointing and people started a thread about it and freaked out for about 20+ pages having absolutely no idea what game he was talking about. Debates about what game he was talking about and insulting one another saying they were wrong when in actuality absolutely no one in the thread had no idea what game Geoff was talking about. It was entertaining to see unfold.

Cornbread78

jim-jam bongs said:

Zune = MS

Hmm, I'm a big Sony Fan, and I'm not going off the deep end about a review score. As a matter of fact, many of the games I play are Sony Exclusives and get crap scores, so shouldn't I be going off on some self-righteous Sony defense tangent about it? Just don't generalize PS3 fans and auto-defense freaks whenever a score doesn't go their way, because that's not the case at all for most.....

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Even though I've been guilty of it myself it would be nice if rules were set into place to deter discussions, about reviews and the scores they give, from spiraling out of control.

Curufinwe said:

It depends on the game. It really doesn't even have to be a review as this thread shows

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397208

That simple comment was enough to cause a bunch of personal insults to be directed at Morgan. Like I said, fanboys are no different from one another. They'll go off if you're seen as being down on something they view as a sacred cow.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Curufinwe said:
I remember there were a few posts in the Gears 3 OT regarding that, but yeah, they were mostly civil.

KingK

faridmon said:
Yeah, those comments are embarressing But again, some people are dumber than others and GAF aren't a single entity, so Destructoid is looking for something that isn't there (or at least isn't as abondant as they claim)

However, I have to say, Uncharted fans (again, not the whole lot of them, but the dumb ones) have been annoying for a while, actually since the first game, so I am glad this actually was written so it could actually minimise those. I say we should not have a review thread altogether.

Yeah, I really hate the whole "Naughty God is so much better than all other developers" meme going around. It's frustrating and stupid. Almost more so than the Dark Souls people who insist on posting in every other thread about how much better DS is than everything else.

And I say this as someone who, somehow, made it on the "list." because a single sentence from a single post was taking out of context in order to pad said list. It's funny because that sentence wasn't even really inflammatory, and made no comment on the score. In fact, I believe in the same post I said that I didn't mind the score. But whatever, I wouldn't want to get in the way of someone pushing their narrative.

LiK

Meisadragon said:
I remember there were a few posts in the Gears 3 OT regarding that, but yeah, they were mostly civil.
Gears fans are way more civil than Uncharted fans, obviously. (lol)

Vire

Wonderful, now this thread had devolved into system wars.

Great job GAF.

Hopefully most of these chuckleheads will be dealt with. Keep that nonsense in the NPD thread.

Cornbread78 said:
Zune = MS

Hmm, I'm a big Sony Fan, and I'm not going off the deep end about a review score. As a matter of fact, many of the games I play are Sony Exclusives and get crap scores, so shouldn't I be going off on some self-righteous Sony defense tangent about it? Just don't generalize PS3 fans and auto-defense freaks whenever a score doesn't go their way, because that's not the case at all for most.....

You may not be going off the deep end about this review but the fact that you just made some bizarre connection between someone critical of the enthusiasm with which Sony fans provide free marketing for hype Sony exclusives and the person being part of the Zune defence force indicates that you may be a few stubbies short of a slab.

WinFonda

SolidSnakex said:
It depends on the game. It really doesn't even have to be a review as this thread shows

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397208

That simple comment was enough to cause a bunch of personal insults to be directed at Morgan. Like I said, fanboys are no different from one another. They'll go off if you're seen as being down on something they view as a sacred cow.
That thread looks like a job for Mama Robotnik. Get your finger wag list on!

Omegasquash said:
Didn't GFW try that for a bit? Pretty sure they were near killed when they tried NOT adding scores to a review, trying to shift attention to the actual review, as opposed to the number.

A new site needs to start doing this day one, so scores aren't lost, as they were never there. The reviews need to also be reformatted to explicitly tell idiots that just because this particular reviewer had negative opinions of this product doesn't mean that you couldn't have a 10/10 experience with it. Like a "You'll like this better if *bulletpoint *bulletpoint *bulletpoint" and "You'll like this less if *bulletpoint *bulletpoint *bulletpoint" at the end of the review text.

This hypothetical site could go on to not be included on Metacritic due to a lack of scores and therefore be ignored by most people out there. Then instead of bitching about scores, every review thread is filled with people bitching at the small group of hipsters who still use that no-score site filled with actual criticism. The end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom