• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid reviews Neogaffers reviews of an Uncharted 3 review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man I hope Jeff gives SS a 4.4. :<<<<<<

I anyone gonna review the Destructoid review of NeoGAF's review of an Uncharted 3 review? Might as well keep the chain going.

KingK

Rapstah said:
They managed to get ten possibly serious angry responses out of a thread with 456 544 234 565 349 replies?

This, and

Y2Kev said:
This is sort of overdramatizing the overly dramatic...

this.

It was kinda funny at first, but this whole affair is becoming so goddamn annoying. Talk about making a mountain out of 10 shitty posts. We have like 3 threads dedicated to this "controversy."

Momo

Banned
Meier said:
I feel like diehard Sony fans (does anyone use Psyborgs any more?) are probably the most over the top this generation about their prized series because it's tough to accept their guy has gone from a distant first to a distant third so they're in defensive mode.
You aren't helping you know, you're just creating another battle/injustice for the entrenched to rally against

Curufinwe

Vire said:
I would hope the the quality of posts on GAF were better than those found there...

Apparently I was wrong.

Nah, they're still way better than Youtube comments which contain an appalling amount of racism, sexism and homophobia. Many of the video reviews on youtube which have unmoderated comments are a disgrace to the human race, especially ones featuring reviewers who aren't average looking males.

Second said:
Ps3 is distant third? I thought the X360 and the Ps3 have sold almost the same amount of hardware so far?

PS3 is actually ahead of 360 worldwide as of the end of 2010. 360 is still ahead in the US but I don't think they're leading any other major markets.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ultimately they're just cherrypicked comments from a huge thread, but with the site continuing to grow and the gaming forum only having so much space, we're encountering this sort of scenario more and more frequently, where civility breaks down and we enter youtube comment land for a while.

I'm mildly embarrassed to see something like this about NeoGAF hit the news cycle, and "their sites get just as bad" is not an appropriate comeback; NeoGAF has its own standards and those need to be upheld, so we'll keep trying to wrangle the hypelings.

I'm glad that they at least recognized Gaf though. I know its certainly not the first nor will it be the last but IMO professional gaming journalism has turned into a joke and some more banter between gamers and journalists is a good thing.

LightOfTruth said:
This does nothing but increase the drama and over-reactions. Its time to move on, people...

Yeah, I fully expect reactions for future reviews (this goes for gaming sites in general) to be really over the top now that some sites are showing that they'll give users attention for those reactions.

Anth0ny

EviLore said:
I'm mildly embarrassed to see something like this about NeoGAF hit the news cycle, and "their sites get just as bad" is not an appropriate comeback; NeoGAF has its own standards and those need to be upheld, so we'll keep trying to wrangle the hypelings.

One of the comments said something along the lines of "I expected GameFAQs to be worse, but they were actually much more civil."

That's not right, GAF. That's not right.

Lunar15

EviLore said:
Ultimately they're just cherrypicked comments from a huge thread, but with the site continuing to grow and the gaming forum only having so much space, we're encountering this sort of scenario more and more frequently, where civility breaks down and we enter youtube comment land for a while.

That happens to EVERY online community. Early link sharing communities like Digg had the same problem, so they moved to Reddit. Now Reddit is apparently having the same problem.

I think it goes in cycles though, especially for a gaming community. There's probably the most activity in the gaming forum around E3 and around November. That's when you get the people who just show up to say silly stuff about their favorite game/company/meme.

.la1n

They do realize that a lot of us have actually played the game seeing as how a lot of us work in the gaming industry? Could not tell by the comment about our huge rage fest when none of us had actually played the game.

131889380442.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
.la1n said:
They do realize that a lot of us have actually played the game seeing as how a lot of us work in the gaming industry? Could not tell by the comment about our huge rage fest when none of us had actually played the game.

How about 'some of us', instead?

Also, I would like to think that most people who work professionally in the game industry wouldn't have such insanely negative fanboyish reactions to a downright great score.

It's sad such a big deal was made about a cherry picked list of comments where some are jokes and some are taken out of context just to pad a list.

Red

Zefah said:
How about 'some of us', instead?

Also, I would like to think that most people who work professionally in the game industry wouldn't have such insanely negative fanboyish reactions to a downright great score.
Professionalism? Personal integrity? When an 8/10 is involved? That's ludicrous.

Curufinwe

echoshifting said:
PS3 is actually ahead of 360 worldwide as of the end of 2010. 360 is still ahead in the US but I don't think they're leading any other major markets.

The PS3 had sold 47.9 million at the end of 2010, and 51.8 million at the end of June, 2011.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps3_sale_e.html

The 360 had sold 50.9 million at the end of 2010, and 57.6 million at the end of September, 2011.

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/Kpi/fy12/Q1/detail.aspx

Haunted

EviLore said:

Just let me at 'em, coach.

I'll clean up real good around here.

Curufinwe said:
The PS3 had sold 47.9 million at the end of 2010, and 51.8 million at the end of June, 2011.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps3_sale_e.html

The 360 had sold 50.9 million at the end of 2010, and 57.6 million at the end of September, 2011.

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/Kpi/fy12/Q1/detail.aspx

I guess I'm misinterpreting all the stories from last spring about PS3 passing 360, then? Serious question, not sarcasm. But I remember that being a pretty big deal.

Some people are really excited about the game and and have high expectations. A review that doesn't live up to the high expectations gets in the way of their hype, and anticipation is the most enjoyable thing in life. Give them a break people.

And I personally can't stand Uncharted.

Mature

Trevelyon said:
Where is this story even posted on that site? Seems suspiciously out of the way for something posted a few hours ago. Now excuse me, I'm off to BEST BUY to pre-order UNCHARTED 3 for the SONY PLAYSTATION 3 (make.believe)
10 OUT OF 10 DESTRUCTOID.COM

echoshifting said:
I guess I'm misinterpreting all the stories from last spring about PS3 passing 360, then? Serious question, not sarcasm. But I remember that being a pretty big deal.

You may have misinterpreted something. The PS3 has been making up ground but has yet to catch up with the 360 in world wide sales.

Socreges

Banned
Second said:
Yeah, the media praising the Uncharted franchise are all Playstation fans..
Not what I said. I'm talking about the fanboy hysteria. Playstation fans seem to have a pretty irrational affection for the series.

faridmon

Yeah, those comments are embarressing But again, some people are dumber than others and GAF aren't a single entity, so Destructoid is looking for something that isn't there (or at least isn't as abondant as they claim)

However, I have to say, Uncharted fans (again, not the whole lot of them, but the dumb ones) have been annoying for a while, actually since the first game, so I am glad this actually was written so it could actually minimise those. I say we should not have a review thread altogether.

upJTboogie said:
It's sad such a big deal was made about a cherry picked list of comments where some are jokes and some are taken out of context just to pad a list.
it's funny to me that you keep on saying this. i make no secret of how passionately i feel about what reviewers should be able to talk about, but you word your posts so passively.

i've not heard anyone counter this...

where does this belief that a stupid post should only get a couple of responses come from? the more spectacularly stupid the post is, the more responses i'd expect it to get.

and there *continues* to be people making the same kind of complaints about that Eurogamer thread. it's not like the stupidity stopped, and then people pointed and laughed for two days. it continues.

yes, lots of us are reacting to it, but what's hard to understand about that?

the reaction to stupid posts is going to be more in line with how stupid the posts were, than how many stupid posts there were.

venne

"IGN giving perfect marks for EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT of the game though...that just brings a tear to my eye."

LOL

People get emotionally invested in the stupidest things.

Smokey

EviLore said:

Please do.

I said it earlier that this is pretty embarassing no matter if it's Destructoid or somebody else. It shines a bad light on this forum.

Managed to avoid this controversy for a while since I don't give a shit about Uncharted but my lord at some of those comments. Not your best moment Uncharted-GAF.

Corto

venne said:
"IGN giving perfect marks for EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT of the game though...that just brings a tear to my eye."

LOL

People get emotionally invested in the stupidest things.

The thing is, on the internet and on GAF specifically one can not be 100% sure if that kind of post is earnest in its intentions of displaying enthusiasm or if it's a sardonic expression of sarcasm.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
EviLore said:

As long as you are able to tell from the light comments and those who actually meant what they were saying. I believe some Gaffers expect Gaf to always be serious that they misconstruct some comments and take an issue with them.

(._.)

Banned
I've noticed that around this time of year a lot of emotion posters come out on GAF. Happens around this time of year when a lot of hot titles are all coming out at once and when E3 is happening.

The fact that this is controversial to some makes me shake my head. It is sort of funny though so I guess just watching it from the sidelines isn't that bad. maybe some posters who have been called out wont cry into their pillow the next time whatever over hyped game they love gets a score bellow a super perfect 100/100.

davepoobond said:
i think what we should really be asking is why destructoid thinks this is newsworthy.

GAMING JOURNALISM!!!!
If it isn't news worthy can it be considered thread worthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom