• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detailed review of Switch screen quality (and compared to 3DS) by Erica Griffin

Wait what? How is the N3DS IPS screen better for GBA games than a backlit GBA SP (AGB-101), a modded og GBA with that screen, or a DS Lite?

I compared them side by side running the same games and N3DS looked the worst.

Nope, N3DS looks the best, I assure you. The least blur, the best contrast, the darkest blacks, the brightest image, the most saturated colors. I now only play on N3DS except I play Wario Ware Twisted on my modded GBA with the 101 screen.

If you think it looks bad on N3DS you must be playing original Ambassador games with stretching on or something. I play injections with the muted colors and blurring turned off and in 1:1 pixel mode.

There is one other way I play GBA games and that is with the low latency build of Game Boy Interface running on my Gamecube into a broadcast CRT monitor.

Uh, Samsung Galaxy phones​ have been 1440p for a long time now, at least since the Note 4, which was released in 2014 (and I'm posting this from). If the S8 is still 1440p 3 years later, you kinda have to commend Samsung for that :p

Well, it was stupid when they did it in 2014 too. :p

v1oz

Uh, Samsung Galaxy phones​ have been 1440p for a long time now, at least since the Note 4, which was released in 2014 (and I'm posting this from). If the S8 is still 1440p 3 years later, you kinda have to commend Samsung for that :p
Such high resolution screens are unneeded for a portable games machine though. Smartphones don't run AAA games at anywhere near native 1440p. Even current gen consoles struggle with 1080p. 720p is good for battery life and efficiency.

Such high resolution screens are unneeded for a portable games machine though. Smartphones don't run AAA games at anywhere near native 1440p. Even current gen consoles struggle with 1080p. 720p is good for battery life and efficiency.

I never said or suggested otherwise, on the contrary in fact. I agree with you. I was just "correcting" someone who apparently thought that Samsung phones just started having 1440p screens this year.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
N3DS IPS is still a massive upgrade over every GBA screen including DS for playing GBA games. VC injection on 3DS is a godsend.

It's also decent for playing 240p 8/16 bit games.

Hopefully OoT 3D and MM 3D get ported to Switch, they'd look fantastic.

I think they would look good, but they would lose from being rendered at a much higher res (which actually makes stuff appear lower poly at times than lower resolution) and I would miss the 3D effect. I was not a 3DS believer, but seeing and playing a 3D demo of OoT made me a launch mate nth buyer!

If people were able to see BotW in glass less 3D or VR they would like it so so much as 3D does wonder to make open areas feel even more open and free and a joy to explore.

I think they would look good, but they would lose from being rendered at a much higher res (which actually makes stuff appear lower poly at times than lower resolution) and I would miss the 3D effect. I was not a 3DS believer, but seeing and playing a 3D demo of OoT made me a launch mate nth buyer!

If people were able to see BotW in glass less 3D or VR they would like it so so much as 3D does wonder to make open areas feel even more open and free and a joy to explore.

I really really loved 3D on 3DS, it is in fact my favorite feature of the system, and it's the only thing I miss on Switch. I dream of a day that Nintendo makes another 3D handheld and releases a 3D remaster of BotW. I would wet my pants.

VanWinkle

It's obviously much better, you're talking about a 2011 low end OLED screen vs a good 2016 LCD screen. Higher brightness, better color reproduction, higher resolution/dpi, no burn in, black level isn't the same obviously but it's still pretty great for an LCD. Even pixel response time isn't an issue at all on Switch.

Come on. Vita's screen was FAAAR more high end at its time of release than Switch's is at its time of release.

It says a lot that you can look at the two side by side (which I just did) and the Vita's screen holds up very well, even being better in some ways.

I think they would look good, but they would lose from being rendered at a much higher res (which actually makes stuff appear lower poly at times than lower resolution) and I would miss the 3D effect.

Agree 100%, but it would still look tons better than N64 VC would.

ZZUbuqL.jpg

JeTmAn81

Bookmarking this thread for six years from now when she compares the Switch 2's glasses-free 3D VR screen to the original Switch's shamefully crappy screen.

jose1

My biggest gripe with the Switch is that the screen looks sunk in like on older devices, instead of modern flush mounted screen tech (IDK what it is called). Think macbook pro vs macbook pro retina. Maybe its because the screen is plastic instead of thin glass.

Tangentially related, I saw a fair number of complaints about the thick bezel around the Switch screen in the past, but I'm actually glad it's there and it's as wide as it is, because it acts as a buffer for fingerprints.

Since the Switch is a relatively large and heavy device, and the joycon rail attachments aren't the most sturdy, the most sensible way of grabbing the device with one hand is by wrapping your palm around the middle part, which ends up with fingerprints all over the black bezel. I rarely ever need to wipe the screen of my Switch before playing thanks to it's black belt armor taking the brunt of my fingerprints. A huge boon if you ask me.

Some Nobody

I love this logic. like saying "I rammed by car into the curb and it ripped up my rims! Just buy shit ugly steel ones since you will just wreck it anyway!"

No. No it isn't. Not even a little bit. This is the worst comparison ever. Car accidents and dropping a phone do not happen at the same rate of regularity. Try again.

Happy to see Nintendo has fixed their shit regarding screens on tablets. The way they kept screwing up their screens throughout the entirety of the 3DS cycle was just deplorable.

Yeah for real, the colors on the Wii U Gamepad looked so washed out it made me hate actually using it. The Switch has a gorgeous screen! :)

Playing BOTW on the WiiU tablet mode is a tragedy. Colors that are washed out as fuck, you can literally see artifacting forming around the finer details, resolution so bad small UI items like health hearts are just a glob of pixels.

Why does she only compare with a 3ds. Why not with current tablets or small devices with modern screens like a smartphone?

Ofcourse is the switch screen better than the 3ds. Would be terrible if it wasn't :D

Playing BOTW on the WiiU tablet mode is a tragedy. Colors that are washed out as fuck, you can literally see artifacting forming around the finer details, resolution so bad small UI items like health hearts are just a glob of pixels.

That's more due to the compressed video stream than the quality of the screen.

PtM

Banned
I watched Griffin's 3DS comparisons, and it motivated me to compare my N3DS with my OG machine. Looks like the old thing has IPS and calibrated colours, whereas the New one has TN and a different lack of red among both screens.
This got me thinking. I bought that first console way after the initial price drop, though it's still one of the launch models.
Did perhaps IPS and screen calibrations fly out the window to cut losses on that hefty price drop?

Apparently not.

Dinjoralo

That's more due to the compressed video stream than the quality of the screen.

Still a problem of the tablet. :p I especially hated how reds would always get really pixelly from the compression.

The Switch's screen is really nice and crisp. Shame it's made of fairly scratchable plastic. It's actually better than playing on my TV, which blows the contrast out the ass and makes, say, the glows of artifact weapons look really blobbish, where they look soft in handheld. And yes, I've tried fixing it.

Narroo

If there's one thing I hate about the modern tech industry, it's the stupid climb for ever higher resolutions on ever smaller devices.

The new Samsung Galaxy has a 1440p screen. On a phone. This needlessly adds cost and weight, and all of those extra pixels which need to be lit suck up battery life. A simple 1080p screen would have been more than enough.

And then there's that Sony phone that's 4K. Yes, on a freaking phone.

Did I mention the fact that you can't buy an HDR television without also going 4K, for some reason?

There's nothing inherently wrong with higher resolutions, but there are other things we could invest resources into right now—blacker blacks, more accurate colors, less glare, etc—which would be more power efficient and less resource intensive while looking better overall.

I think that Nintendo absolutely made the right decision.

Why does anyone need a 4K phone at this point?

I agree, Nintedo made the right decision. It's just that resolution is easy to understand and compare.

Yarbskoo

I hope the 2DS XL has improved screens, but I'm certainly not going to pre-order.

I think they would look good, but they would lose from being rendered at a much higher res (which actually makes stuff appear lower poly at times than lower resolution) and I would miss the 3D effect.

Damn near every 3D game ever made looks better in higher resolutions and Zelda is no exception.

Looking at those screenshots, I really wish Nintendo would put out a New 2DS or N2DSXL variant that just internally upscaled games to 480p, like Citra or something like that. Give the machine the power to do that in hardware. Top screen would be 3.53" or 4.8" @ 800x480p.

Call it a HDS.

Narroo

I hope the 2DS XL has improved screens, but I'm certainly not going to pre-order.

Damn near every 3D game ever made looks better in higher resolutions and Zelda is no exception.

You know, in a sense the games were made for a screen with twice the resolution of the 3DS's screens. The top screen is basically two 240p's, and the 3D makes it sort of like a sister resolution to 480i. So, rendering it in, oh say 480p in a certain sense is natural. I'm really not surprised that it looks so good in emulators; the games were probably developed in 480p to simulate the performance of the 3D effect.

Actually, that's an interesting idea. Are there any 3DS developers on GAF that might know this? I can't imagine that developers had 3D screens for their desktop, so when testing out the game on PC development kits, what resolutions were the games being run at? Anyone know?

ggx2ac

Just adding from my previous post about Japan Display Inc since they produce the display screen for the Nintendo Switch.

Since being bailed out by the Japanese government, JDI will invest into OLED production. It turns out that the OLED panel production Sony made which later merged with Panasonic will now become a subsidiary of JDI.

Does that mean a future Switch model will have OLED? Probably not. LCD panels across the world became cheap due to excess production​ which lead to losses for a few companies including JDI which was why they were bailed out and invested in OLED manufacturing.

The other interesting part of that article I linked is that Sony OLED TVs are coming back with LG being the supplier of the OLED panels. What's interesting is that Sony's Bravia A1(A1E for US) is an OLED TV with no conventional speakers, it apparently uses a Sony patented technology called Acoustic Surface which uses the OLED screen as your speakers by doing vibrations to produce sound.

This actually removes a lot of space for conventional​ speakers making the TV look slim.

Why I bring that up is that this technology would have been one way to make a smaller Switch by reducing some parts (since some people here ask for a smaller Switch) but, since it's a Sony patented technology, I expect to hear it more from people making up rumours​ that a Vita 2 would have it.

Hyoukokun

Looking at those screenshots, I really wish Nintendo would put out a New 2DS or N2DSXL variant that just internally upscaled games to 480p, like Citra or something like that. Give the machine the power to do that in hardware. Top screen would be 3.53" or 4.8" @ 800x480p.

Call it a HDS.
I'm not certain you could scale up the 3DS GPU (the PICA200) to do that. That would mean at least partial emulation, which is going to come with all kinds of issues. I'm sure Nintendo would rather avoid that and just sell you remasters on the Switch.

PtM

Banned
You know, in a sense the games were made for a screen with twice the resolution of the 3DS's screens. The top screen is basically two 240p's, and the 3D makes it sort of like a sister resolution to 480i. So, rendering it in, oh say 480p in a certain sense is natural. I'm really not surprised that it looks so good in emulators; the games were probably developed in 480p to simulate the performance of the 3D effect.

Actually, that's an interesting idea. Are there any 3DS developers on GAF that might know this? I can't imagine that developers had 3D screens for their desktop, so when testing out the game on PC development kits, what resolutions were the games being run at? Anyone know?
Stereoscopic images mean doubled resolution only horizontally.

Reallink

8500K and nearly a 50% spread on RGB balance is a crappy calibration, that 3DS was flaming dog shit doesn't make Switches "good" in the grand scheme of things. Why did she not include the Delta E's for RGBCMY, CIE charts don't really tell much.

Can't wait to go back to OOT / MM without second screen inventory management.

matthewuk

8500K and nearly a 50% spread on RGB balance is a crappy calibration, that 3DS was flaming dog shit doesn't make Switches "good" in the grand scheme of things. Why did she not include the Delta E's for RGBCMY, CIE charts don't really tell much.

I wonder does the switch have colour temperature settings?

ss_lemonade

I watched Griffin's 3DS comparisons, and it motivated me to compare my N3DS with my OG machine. Looks like the old thing has IPS and calibrated colours, whereas the New one has TN and a different lack of red among both screens.
This got me thinking. I bought that first console way after the initial price drop, though it's still one of the launch models.
Did perhaps IPS and screen calibrations fly out the window to cut losses on that hefty price drop?

My old 3ds was one of those before the first price drop, so very close to launch. It has a TN panel

Top Bottom