• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Joy-Con controllers/Pro Controller for Nintendo Switch

Loved that it looks like you'll be able to have one controller in each hand without having to have them connected. It's where I always wanted controllers to go after the Wii.

Shame it looks like the d-pad is gone except for the pro controller.

Yes, every time I go back to the Wiimote+Nunchuk set up it's just a whole other world of comfort, apart from the cable.

I'll probably grab a Pro if the weight and battery are as good as the Wii U Pro (and backward compatibility with the Wii U Pro would be even better given the symmetrical layout), but I find myself hoping that there will be an optional replacement for the Joy-Con L that has the traditional Nintendo D-pad.

At this point we still don't know how the components are paired, whether they can be swapped around, or how the Joy-Cons are independently powered once detached (and for how long). I'm also hoping for word on what support there is for gyro aiming on any of these components, if at all.

The new pro controller looks great. I like the displacement of the sticks. Hopefully the joycon sticks are comortable to use on that gigantic square duke lookinf base

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The pro controller looks weird, but I think what we're actually seeing is that it has a transparent plastic top. The "scuff marks" are actually the insides showing through. Not all the way through like those old N64s, but still some degree of transparency.

bachikarn

I take it you never played the Gamecube, huh? Or any Xbox or Dualshock controller ever in your life? Pretty much every dual analog controller except the WiiU's had the face buttons above the right analog stick.

Lol. I said DIRECTLY under the buttons. That's the difference.

All the controllers you mentioned has the stick below and to the left.

It is going to cause ergonomic issues.

i'm pretty much sold on the Pro controller. Looks comfy, if not a little cheap in the preview video.
I don't have big hands, but the Joy-Cons still don't look particularly comfortable or ergonomic. Good thing they aren't the primary controller form. :p

Qwyjibo

The pro controller looks great.

The detachable controllers look like a total mess and, IMO, are a bad decision. I hope there will be a revision down the line that totally abandons that. I think Nintendo is wildly overestimating the "party on the go" appeal of the Switch. The guy on the plane in the video, why did he even detach the controllers? Why wouldn't you just keep them connected to the screen?

The Lamp

The multiplayer they are touting just creates more complexity (and yes more options) for developers to headache over when they think about if they want to port their games to this new, unproven platform. I see only Nintendo supporting its creativity with this.

Can you connect 4 pro controllers to one system? Do you have to use the detached joy-cons for 2+ players?

The detachable controllers look like a total mess and, IMO, are a bad decision. I hope there will be a revision down the line that totally abandons that. I think Nintendo is wildly overestimating the "party on the go" appeal of the Switch. The guy on the plane in the video, why did he even detach the controllers? Why wouldn't you just keep them connected to the screen?

To show that you can play without them being connected to anything

It's more comfortable than holding a screen to your face..it's like couch gaming on the go when you can actually pull it off. That was actually super appealing to me.

Plum

The detachable controllers look like a total mess and, IMO, are a bad decision. I hope there will be a revision down the line that totally abandons that. I think Nintendo is wildly overestimating the "party on the go" appeal of the Switch. Even the guy on the plan in the video, why did he even detach the controllers? Why wouldn't you just keep them connected to the screen?

Holding a handheld on any form of transport is never that comfortable.

But even then, why is it even a problem? You can play like you said if you want or you could buy and bring a Pro controller along. The point is to show that it doesn't tie you to just one control method.

brad-t

I think Nintendo is wildly overestimating the "party on the go" appeal of the Switch.

I disagree, and this is one of the main reasons I want the system in the first place. I know all of my friends are also interested in this. Not to say that that will translate to mainstream appeal, but general impressions everywhere seem to be quite positive.

The small controllers will obviously not be comfortable for hours-long single player sessions, but should suit well for a few rounds of multiplayer.

wvnative

As someone who is physically disabled and has been largely unable to play the majority of nintendo consoles due to their input, it looks like i can play the Switch comfortably. That is all I want. Thank you nintendo.

Now don't repeat wii and wii U and block the pro controller for some games. (if its like a party or dance game its fine, but let me play mario/mario kart with the pro controller for gods sake)

mf luder

Because your arms and hands get tired and cramped holding the thing up all the time?

Qwyjibo

To show that you can play without them being connected to anything

I guess that works. I just question how many people are actually going to use it this way. Obviously just IMO, but I think this aspect of the Switch will flop hard. I see people playing it like a traditional portable system or at home with most likely a pro controller (that Nintendo will gouge us for). I don't see this "in between" party play being appealing, hence my desire for a revision down the line that doesn't have the detachable controllers.

Matt

I actually love the JoyCons and the kickstand. Makes the system even more versatile.

rekameohs

Banned
I guess that works. I just question how many people are actually going to use it this way. Obviously just IMO, but I think this aspect of the Switch will flop hard. I see people playing it like a traditional portable system or at home with most likely a pro controller (that Nintendo will gouge us for). I don't see this "in between" party play being appealing, hence my desire for a revision down the line that doesn't have the detachable controllers.
I think - just as the video shows - instant two player Mario Kart without any accessories will be big for couples.

Vibranium

Banned
I'm interested in hearing the press reactions to the full Joy-Con controller when they get their hands on it. Should answer some questions about how ergonomic is is.

pronk420

If he is using it with Joy cons detached on a plane, presumably the joycons don't communicate with the main unit via wireless of any kind? Could they be IR like the frankenstick for the old 3ds?

Big Nikus

Can anyone 100% confirm:
- Analog triggers
- Triggers + shoulder buttons

I can't be sure there are shoulder buttons with all the potato quality pictures, it's driving me crazy.

Why LEDs on the Grip, but not the individual Joy-Cons which can be used separately?
Qwyjibo said:
The guy on the plane in the video, why did he even detach the controllers? Why wouldn't you just keep them connected to the screen?
Because split controller play is comfortable.

If he is using it with Joy cons detached on a plane, presumably the joycons don't communicate with the main unit via wireless of any kind? Could they be IR like the frankenstick for the old 3ds?
Huh? That they're shown used without being attached (either individually or as a pair) indicates that they MUST be communicating wirelessly.
I can't be sure there are shoulder buttons with all the potato quality pictures, it's driving me crazy.
In some pictures you can see shoulder/trigger buttons shaped similarly to the Wii U's, just much more scrunched together.

Can anyone 100% confirm:
- Analog triggers
- Triggers + shoulder buttons

I saw a pic floating around confirming the second one, but it looked to me that the triggers were FUCCIN digital

can't confirm but I'll try to find the pic

Plum

Just because you won't doesn't mean other people won't as well. On a plane that control method seems really comfortable, same on a bus or train as you aren't limited in where you can put your hands. It also requires the least amount of stuff to bring with you.

And of course Nintendo will sell the Pro Controller extra. That would drive the price of the base console up significantly for no reason other than to please the people who want one.

The joycon doesn't look comfortable to me, mainly because the analog stick and the button are directly above/below each other, how can my thumb move comfortably and quckly between buttons and analog with that setup. I think I'll be bring the pro controller everywhere and only use joycon for games that don't require second analog input like that single joycon arrangement.

Peléo

I think you are underestimating the appeal of having easily acessible two player games for many people. I would love to be able to play 2D DK / Mario Kart with my gf at her house without having to install and connect a console to a TV.

The genius of the Joy-Cons is that they can form a full, standard controller or be split up into two controllers that share the Wii Remote's "Any idiot can handle this" appeal. A stealth way to satisfy both the core and casual markets without alienating one for the sake of the other.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I don't like how everything is black. Hoping for some colour contrast in another version.

The joycon doesn't look comfortable to me, mainly because the analog stick and the button are directly above/below each other, how can my thumb move comfortably and quckly between buttons and analog with that setup.
For better or worse, it's just like the left face of 3DS in that regard.

Malus

I did a double take when I read Joy Con lol. That name isn't sticking, but it doesn't matter much anyways.

I'm not a pro controller guy but that translucent design is nice.

Lucumo

I don't understand how the analogue stick can be directly below the buttons on the right side of the controller. How is that not a huge pain in the ass to play with.
I agree with this. You have to go over the analog stick which is terrible.

Have you only even played on Playstations before?!
He is right though, and the buttons aren't directly above the analog stick for playstation controllers.

Compare the top right picture
oMzcsNM.jpg

with this one

Split controllers that have all the traditional buttons as well as motion controls are definitely the future. Take note Sony and MS.

For better or worse, it's just like the left face of 3DS in that regard.
I'm more worried about the right side because that side are the action button and camera control, you'd be switching between them a lot more than the left side where you usually use the analog stick most of the time

Top Bottom