• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detective GAF: Possible missing gaffer [Not missing :P]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snooping into this guys life just because he hasn't posted since seems a bit wrong. That last post is a bit ominous, but still, I don't think it gives anyone the right to go "detective" on him.

Maybe whatever happened just changed his priorities and he thought to hell with an online forum as a result.

I get there's good intentions behind this, though.

Either:

A) something fucked up happened in Japan and now he is stuck there against his will.

B) he made that comment. Then he went through something that kept him really busy in life and then just hadn't come back because he got used to not visiting here

C) dedicated trolling planned months in advance

D) he was never real

cashman

Banned
Isn't it a bit depressing to immediately assume that if someone doesn't login to neogaf that they must be dead or in jail?

What if they just got bored and found something else to do?

However, if people are truly concerned, they should try and track him down on other internet sites.

Example: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30921955&postcount=1937

He plays FF11 and 14. Maybe check his accounts on those games? Anyone know his account names? Using those can lead to other sites he may be on.

you are conveniently ignoring his eerie last post.

Jacob

That or he was quitting GAF and just wanted to fuck with people's heads.

The same thought crossed my mind when I first saw this discussed in another thread. It should be easy enough for a mod to check his IP and see if he was actually in Japan when he made his final post, for what that's worth. I'd much rather it turn out that the guy was trolling than being gunned down by yakuza or whatever.

So he disappeared in China, right? His second to last post states he was in Hong Kong, I think.

Maybe he had drugs on him at the airport and wound up in a Chinese prison. If he was arrested in Japan, I'd think he'd have had SOME access to the Internet by now,even if he was in jail. Chinese prisons, to my understanding, are pretty much terrible. Of course he may have internet access either way, but in that case, why would he bother browsing GAF?

Another thing to consider is that if his last activity occurred 2 minutes after his last post... was he on his phone? If so, SOMEONE must've opened the net back up. Unless he closed the tab or page with GAF on it, it would've probably reloaded and set his activity for the time of the reload, right?
Probably means nothing, but those are the possibilities.

I suppose we could track his real name via his email address, if we can get ahold of that. He probably has/had a Facebook account.

akira28

Ok, if he was pinched for some kind of crime like pot possession or something like that, I would think that Japan would just send him back home and take his visa. I think certain crimes, they keep you.

If he was in real actual trouble, I would think he would have sought help of some sort. When it's the law, there's nothing you can do but accept it. But would he really have access to internet in a law situation to send one last beacon? His smartphone maybe. He was being pretty cryptic, and when I read that I thought he was deliberately not saying something. Because the obvious question in relation to a fuck up is "how".

Snooping into this guys life just because he hasn't posted since seems a bit wrong. That last post is a bit ominous, but still, I don't think it gives anyone the right to go "detective" on him.

Maybe whatever happened just changed his priorities and he thought to hell with an online forum as a result.

I get there's good intentions behind this, though.

It's one thing to just stop posting randomly. It's another to make several posts about contemplating a trip to Japan, then more posts about making said trip to Japan, then one post going "I FUCKED UP" and nothing since.

It's not creepy at all to try to see if he's all right.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I wonder if this was like some kind of troll attempt... and he checked for weeks and months to see if anyone noticed... Now it's 6 months later and he's long since given up checking if anyone noticed...?

Shurs

By the way, if I ever go "missing" don't look for me. I've just found something better to do with my time.

It's one thing to just stop posting randomly. It's another to make several posts about contemplating a trip to Japan, then more posts about making said trip to Japan, then one post going "I FUCKED UP" and nothing since.

It's not creepy at all to try to see if he's all right.

Like I said, the last string of posts are definitely ominious... but I just don't think any GAFer has the right to go detective on someone. I'm sure he has friends/family who are looking out for him IF anything is wrong.

If I stopped posting one day under unusual circumstances I wouldn't want GAF to call my parents, basically!

Isn't it a bit depressing to immediately assume that if someone doesn't login to neogaf that they must be dead or in jail?

Neogaf isn't life or death, but if it's something you enjoy, it's probably not something you just stop doing all of a sudden. I've drifted away from many other online communities, but never without tapering off, and never under such weird circumstances.

The same thought crossed my mind when I first saw this discussed in another thread. It should be easy enough for a mod to check his IP and see if he was actually in Japan when he made his final post, for what that's worth. I'd much rather it turn out that the guy was trolling than being gunned down by yakuza or whatever.

Did he say he made it to Japan? It's assumed that Hong Kong was a quick stop on the travel plans, but maybe that's where things topsy-turvy.

Like I said, the last string of posts are definitely ominious... but I just don't think any GAFer has the right to go detective on someone. I'm sure he has friends/family who are looking out for him IF anything is wrong.

If I stopped posting one day under unusual circumstances I wouldn't want GAF to call my parents, basically!

I wouldn't mind if it were tactful.

For example, "this a friend of X and we haven't spoken in a long time. Could you tell him to give me a call" Leave your number and Name "Ned Gaf" and explain that gaf went crazy when and if he gives you a call.

Emily Chu

Banned
It was 6:59 am possibly after a big night of drinking

1. He got some girl dead and he is laying low
2. He fucked with some yakusa and they ghosted him.....
3. ???

This user was very active according to his post history posting nearly everyday until that cut off day

Which makes this all the more Erie....o_O

I heard in a movie somehwere that if someone just vanishes like that and doesn't try to contact anyone for 2-3 months in the modern world there most likely not of this world any longer.......

Izick

I mean it's one thing to jump to conclusions if the guy just stops posting cold-turkey, but it's another when his last posts are very negative and worrying, with his very last post being downright troublesome and scary.

Jacob

Did he say he made it to Japan? It's assumed that Hong Kong was a quick stop on the travel plans, but maybe that's where things went rosy-turvy.

He didn't say, but his last post was made about a week after the one about being in Hong Kong. I would think that if he had already been arrested it would be hard for him to post anything on GAF.

I can understand the concerns people have about not turning into stalkers though. The whole case is a bit unsettling though. :/

coldvein

Banned
how easy is it really to get "gunned down by yakuza" in japan? does that usually happen to tourists? is that a common danger? people seem to be mentioning it ....

Izick

I don't see how that gives people the right to stalk him.

Stalk? It sounds like he has a lot of friends on here, and they're concerned as fuck because of his last posts and his complete absence from the site. It'd be one thing if he had said something after the "I fucked up" post, or even re-logged in, but something ain't right here.

I mean I can't find out info or anything, but I understand why the people who do want to do so. Doesn't seem like stalking or that crazy to me. Neogaf isn't like other sites. Sure, it's still faceless, but people who last longer here matter more because there isn't new people always constantly coming in and lax moderation doesn't exist.

GavinGT

Banned
how easy is it really to get "gunned down by yakuza" in japan? does that usually happen to tourists? is that a common danger? people seem to be mentioning it ....

And how likely is it that he'd -

1) know he did something to slight them?
2) have time to still post about it?

You'd think if he knew he was in imminent danger (say, he borrowed money he couldn't pay back) he would just skip town before they came for him.

Reading that post linked above, I think it has something to do with a girl.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

It seems unlikely to happen to an innocent person.

But if one "fucked up big time guys. Fuck.", then.... :(

Jake.

no - worse that would generally (read: GENERALLY) happen to a foreign tourist is you'd get beaten up/money stolen and even that shit is rare.

LuuKyK

Fou-Lu

The things that make this so creepy are 1. His active post history, 2. His ominous last post, 3. How excited he seemed about the trip, and 4. The fact that he never visited GAF again under that account, even if it was account suicide I can't imagine never logging into it again.

If I ever left a last post like that, then I would be expecting Detective GAF to do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom