• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
My first card drop

efebb02c62304c19af8c54f4b2006fc6.png

Not bad

Grisby

wtf.

Can't see my reflection in the mirror in jensen's room.

2016 $60 video game.
Like, why have the mirror right there. You know that's going to be one of the first acts the player does.

I get why Adam would have a mirror there of course, but lol.

chrixter

Kinda frustrating that you can lock yourself out of some side missions if you explore and find stuff before you're "supposed" to. So far I've found that this is possible for at least three side missions. Painful irony for those of us who want to explore and experience as much of the game as possible on a first run.

I'm about to go to (mission 6)
golem city
for the first time and i was wondering if i can continue the prague side missions later on? or is it like human revolution where they get cancelled if you travel to hengsha and back?

Kinda frustrating that you can lock yourself out of some side missions if you explore and find stuff before you're "supposed" to. So far I've found that this is possible for at least three side missions. Painful irony for those of us who want to explore and experience as much of the game as possible on a first run.

Side missions can be locked off by more than just killing/disabling relevant NPCs or progressing the main story too far?

chrixter

Side missions can be locked off by more than just killing/disabling relevant NPCs or progressing the main story too far?
Yeah, on the contrary, you can get locked out if you do certain things too early before progressing, like finding an item early or accidentally completing side mission objectives out of the game's prescribed order. Problem is, there's no way to know that an area you discover actually holds a future side mission objective and that you should probably leave until the game tells you to go there.

Yeah, on the contrary, you can get locked out if you do certain things too early before progressing, like finding an item early or accidentally completing side mission objectives out of the game's prescribed order. Problem is, there's no way to know that an area you discover actually holds a future side mission objective and that you should probably leave until the game tells you to go there.

Well that sucks. I've been doing all sorts of exploring outside of the quests. I wonder if I've locked myself out of any quests (I have found a few "Story Items" that weren't relevant to any of my current quests).

That's annoying, but on the other hand the new game+ factor mitigates it somewhat. If this stuff happens, though, I'd much rather it actually feel logically justified by the story (which I'm cool with, to be honest, if it happens) and not just feel like a bug.

jorgejjvr

Just started the game and I'm not even sure what the main quest is, but I'm pretty sure I'm doing a lot of side quests and I don't even mind lol

nOoblet16

Getting the calibrator early and as such not getting the side mission from Ottar is not something I'd say "locked out" tbh. It's a natural course of story, you never met Ottar or you killed Ottar so why should you be returning the favour when there was no favour to begin with? It's not different from say Deus Ex 1 where you can kill Gunthar early on and hence never progress his story.

The problem with the neon quest going unfinished if you go to the labs too early is a genuine problem and an oversight but the one with Ottar I don't see it.

Apart from these two I don't think I can recall many (if any) actual cases where it gets locked up if you do it out of order. Infact in some cases doing them out of order means you do get the quest but you start it from mid point.

Vic_Viper

Almost at the end of the game, im at the
3rd Prauge visit
, and man are the side missions pissing me off this time around. I think I missed atleast 2 and wasnt able to finish a 3rd! I picked up the strategy guide when I bought the game but I havent been looking at it accept to see which side missions I can get and when. Not a fan of how the SMs were handled this time around. Plus it feels like they cut down a ton of them and instead made the ones that are in the game twice as long. Dont get me wrong some are really good but they are in the minority. Its cool how things that you do in the beginning pay off down the road, I just wish they gave you like a reminder or something to let you know when there is something you could miss.

As for the game as a whole. Im liking it but it really does feel like either part 1 of 2 or 3 games, or a side story. I think that after they finished the engine they just wanted to put something out. Hopefully the wait for the next Deus Ex wont be long and they will be able to tell a real story that can live up to HRs. The overall gameplay and moment to moment stuff is awesome but I just miss that huge conspiracy that had me wondering what was going to happen next.

Spoilers for the main plot follows:

The whole main plot is just Jensen investigating this rouge faction of a terrorist group thats really working for the Illuminati, instead of going after the real threat. Its a cool diversion that gives you small chunks of the real plot like 2 or 3 times in the game but it feels like a side story that would have been suited for like a Vita version like the GoW and Uncharted side story. Having only the 1 Hub is a huge factor in why I feel like this. I mean I understand it is a huge hub and that these games take alot more work to make. I just miss that whole globe trotting feel from HR that we got because Jensen was going all over the world trying to find answers. I understand why they chose to stay in one place plot-wise but in the end it just makes this game feel really small. Getting to Prague for the 3rd time was a really cool moment and a great payoff to what they have been setting up. But it would have been so much better if we were able to go to one other place before and see how other cities are treating Augs aside from Golemcity and Prague.

Which did you guys choose to do towards the later half of the game:
Did you save the girl and investigate the bombing or Choose to rob the bank?
Then did you give
the evidence to miller or Vega?

Getting the calibrator early and as such not getting the side mission from Ottar is not something I'd say "locked out" tbh. It's a natural course of story, you never met Ottar or you killed Ottar so why should you be returning the favour when there was no favour to begin with? It's not different from say Deus Ex 1 where you can kill Gunthar early on and hence never progress his story.

The problem with the neon quest going unfinished if you go to the labs too early is a genuine problem and an oversight but the one with Ottar I don't see it.

Apart from these two I don't think I can recall many (if any) actual cases where it gets locked up if you do it out of order.

For Ottar,
I didnt see the optional part of the quest in Golem City until after I went up the elevator. I tried to go back down and talk to the vendor he wants you to kill but the quest wouldn't trigger because I already went up the elevator which is so dumb. Thats an entire side mission I missed because the game didnt give me any way of knowing thats what he wanted me to do. They could have atleast given us another chance to do him a favor if we missed that one.

There was another side mission, I think Fade to Black, where I finished it completely but before you leave Prauge the second time you could talk to the Dr. and ask her to look into Marchenko that never triggered for me.

Tacitus_

That's annoying, but on the other hand the new game+ factor mitigates it somewhat. If this stuff happens, though, I'd much rather it actually feel logically justified by the story (which I'm cool with, to be honest, if it happens) and not just feel like a bug.

They have an achievement for doing one sidequest before you actually get it. I'm confident that the others won't bug out.

JohnTH

So, after the
bookshop
mission, am I supposed to have a whole 12 praxis points? o_O

I did explore a lot, but I think I only levelled up like twice.

Took me forever to find Edward.
He's being tormented by a Thug.

Press X to talk to Thug.
Hold B and Jensen murders Ed..

😤

Reminds me of the times I go to a security door/computer.

Presses E then Q to hack keypad
E doesn't register or my mad FPS noscope skillz miss the keypad/computer
AJ suckerpunches some random civillian walking past.

Is it possible to laugh and facepalm at the same time?

Finished the game ~31 hours, did *~nearly*~ everything I could, I think (though I know I may have missed one or two bits).

Really enjoyed it for the level design and gameplay, Prague is a fantastic hub and they do something really clever with it, there were a few excellent sidequests (they were all neat, but were two that really stood out as great), but reviews were right that the story just sorta goes "eh it's over I guess," sets up a sequel blatantly, and it never really feels as... "epic" or worldchanging as either DX1 or HR.

I'll do the Breach stuff and the first Jensen Story later today I suppose.

nOoblet16

Almost at the end of the game, im at the
3rd Prauge visit
, and man are the side missions pissing me off this time around. I think I missed atleast 2 and wasnt able to finish a 3rd! I picked up the strategy guide when I bought the game but I havent been looking at it accept to see which side missions I can get and when. Not a fan of how the SMs were handled this time around. Plus it feels like they cut down a ton of them and instead made the ones that are in the game twice as long. Dont get me wrong some are really good but they are in the minority. Its cool how things that you do in the beginning pay off down the road, I just wish they gave you like a reminder or something to let you know when there is something you could miss.

As for the game as a whole. Im liking it but it really does feel like either part 1 of 2 or 3 games, or a side story. I think that after they finished the engine they just wanted to put something out. Hopefully the wait for the next Deus Ex wont be long and they will be able to tell a real story that can live up to HRs. The overall gameplay and moment to moment stuff is awesome but I just miss that huge conspiracy that had me wondering what was going to happen next.

Spoilers for the main plot follows:

The whole main plot is just Jensen investigating this rouge faction of a terrorist group thats really working for the Illuminati, instead of going after the real threat. Its a cool diversion that gives you small chunks of the real plot like 2 or 3 times in the game but it feels like a side story that would have been suited for like a Vita version like the GoW and Uncharted side story. Having only the 1 Hub is a huge factor in why I feel like this. I mean I understand it is a huge hub and that these games take alot more work to make. I just miss that whole globe trotting feel from HR that we got because Jensen was going all over the world trying to find answers. I understand why they chose to stay in one place plot-wise but in the end it just makes this game feel really small. Getting to Prague for the 3rd time was a really cool moment and a great payoff to what they have been setting up. But it would have been so much better if we were able to go to one other place before and see how other cities are treating Augs aside from Golemcity and Prague.

Which did you guys choose to do towards the later half of the game:
Did you save the girl and investigate the bombing or Choose to rob the bank?
Then did you give
the evidence to miller or Vega?

I mean it's a lot like DE1 in the sense that you don't talk to people you don't get side quests. And I'd rather have one big dense hub than multiple small hubs like Detroit or Hengsha, makes the world feel more important rather than look like cardboard cutout theme parks.

I saved the girl at first and then in my 2nd playthrough went to the bank. Found the bank mission awfully short, easy and disappointing except for the ending which was ok. The other mission where you save the girl atleast ends in a more interesting way.

Finished the game ~31 hours, did *~nearly*~ everything I could, I think (though I know I may have missed one or two bits).

Really enjoyed it for the level design and gameplay, Prague is a fantastic hub and they do something really clever with it, there were a few excellent sidequests (they were all neat, but were two that really stood out as great), but reviews were right that the story just sorta goes "eh it's over I guess," sets up a sequel blatantly, and it never really feels as... "epic" or worldchanging as either DX1 or HR.

I'll do the Breach stuff and the first Jensen Story later today I suppose.

Well it was always about the bomb investigation and it sets out for a task and goes on to finish that. It might be quite meager but I'd hardly call it abrupt and never understood why so many people thought they didn't even know they were playing the last mission.

Anyways you can only have world changing stuff so many times before it gets stale. Beside you were never going to destroy the illuminati/Majestic 12 in this game considering they still exist in DE1. :p

For Ottar,
I didnt see the optional part of the quest in Golem City until after I went up the elevator. I tried to go back down and talk to the vendor he wants you to kill but the quest wouldn't trigger because I already went up the elevator which is so dumb. Thats an entire side mission I missed because the game didnt give me any way of knowing thats what he wanted me to do. They could have atleast given us another chance to do him a favor if we missed that one.

There was another side mission, I think Fade to Black, where I finished it completely but before you leave Prauge the second time you could talk to the Dr. and ask her to look into Marchenko that never triggered for me.

I think you bugged out here honestly, I got that secondary soon as I passed the police station.

ibn Saïd;214965174 said:
I'm about to go to (mission 6)
golem city
for the first time and i was wondering if i can continue the prague side missions later on? or is it like human revolution where they get cancelled if you travel to hengsha and back?

anyone?

Vic_Viper

I mean it's a lot like DE1 in the sense that you don't talk to people you don't get side quests. And I'd rather have one big dense hub than multiple small hubs like Detroit or Hengsha, makes the world feel more important rather than look like cardboard cutout theme parks.

I saved the girl at first and then in my 2nd playthrough went to the bank. Found the bank mission awfully short, easy and disappointing except for the ending which was ok. The other mission where you save the girl atleast ends in a more interesting way.

Yeah I completely agree about the Hub but I think that they wrote the story in a way that made it make sense this time around. I would have really enjoyed maybe 2 large and golemcity just to see the differences to how they treat Augs. Like I said having it all in Prauge really made the area feel important and worked really well for the story they were trying to tell. I just hope in the next Deus Ex they have atleast 1 more area to explore that visually is completely different from another area.

Did saving the girl have any story payoffs like the bank did? Yea the quest was short and kind of a repeat of a side mission but the overall story payoff made it worth it IMO. Megan wasnt in the story really until that quest which was a really nice piece that I could have completely missed.

nOoblet16

Yeah I completely agree about the Hub but I think that they wrote the story in a way that made it make sense this time around. I would have really enjoyed maybe 2 large and golemcity just to see the differences to how they treat Augs.

Did saving the girl have any story payoffs like the bank did? Yea the quest was short and kind of a repeat of a side mission but the overall story payoff made it worth it IMO. Megan wasnt in the story really until that quest which was a really nice piece that I could have completely missed.

Yea it does
they were trying to build a computer like the hyron project and you have a social fight. She also gives you a jammer that comes into play later

Terra_Ex

Now I've progressed the main story a little and mucked about in the Prague Hub the game has mostly shaken off my negative first impression after the first mission's poor showing. Still not finding the PC controls to be quite up to par but other than that I'm having fun.

Vic_Viper

Are there any Augs you got late game you wished you had gotten early on that changes everything?

Icarus Dash is the one I wish I had gotten earlier. I thought it was an offensive Aug but it really makes stealth so much better imo.

Are there any Augs you got late game you wished you had gotten early on that changes everything?

Icarus Dash is the one I wish I had gotten earlier. I thought it was an offensive Aug but it really makes stealth so much better imo.

icarus dash is literally the first one i dumped points into out of all the augs. fell in love with it immediately when they very first revealed it. it's like dishonored's blink, and i love it. great verticality in this, definitely several steps above dxhr in that regard.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Are there specific points before end game stuff where any side missions get cut off? The Night Club is the only one I haven't completed that has been presented to me so far, but I'm interested in moving forward with the story and going to Golem City. I love the layout and atmosphere they've got going with Prague so far.

TEJ

I hear there is a game breaking glitch in ch 14... I'm still very early in the game, is there any way to avoid it?

Anyone else not feeling the music quite as much as Human Revolution? Still got that wonderful Michael McCann to it, but I haven't heard anything that's really stuck out yet.

Yoshi88

Anyone else not feeling the music quite as much as Human Revolution? Still got that wonderful Michael McCann to it, but I haven't heard anything that's really stuck out yet.

The TF29 HQ theme is outstanding imo. My new favourite Deus Ex track. Could listen all day long to this, perfect synthesis of old and new in my eyes.

I want to check my playtime so I'm trying to get this app to work and I registered it but it still says 0 on everything on my app, any help... Do you have sync it in game or something?

Oh, damn. As someone who loves exploring every nook and cranny, the fact that I can lock myself out of sidequests is a horrifying thought to me.

Any tips on avoiding this as much as possible? Will I just have to not explore?

Damn...

Tacitus_

Oh, damn. As someone who loves exploring every nook and cranny, the fact that I can lock myself out of sidequests is a horrifying thought to me.

Any tips on avoiding this as much as possible? Will I just have to not explore?

Damn...

It's not "locking you out". It's an alternative way to complete it.

nOoblet16

It's not "locking you out". It's an alternative way to complete it.

Yep this.
Apart from that it also does not make sense that you'd progress a storyline if you never start it, that's how it was in DE1 too. You could say that the game can avoid this by preventing you from killing quest givers or limiting an interaction so that you always end up having a conversation with a quest giver rather than going through them, but that's not what Deus Ex is about. Outside of the really key characters everyone is killable, which is actually less than what you could in DE1 where you could even kill the key guys.

Hazmat

So has the 10 hour length when plowing through held true? Are the sidequests fun?

I don't know if 10 hours is reasonable if just running through it as fast as you can, but I can say that running through it as fast as you can and being disappointed at the length to cost ratio is like going to Disneyland and choosing to only ride three ride before leaving at lunchtime disappointed that there was nothing to do. You have to willfully ignore the lengthy side missions and exploration options that they throw in your face to not find a game of a good length here.

I'm disappointed that the action is so dull in Mankind Divided. One of the biggest criticisms against HR is that the game had a pretty strong bias towards sneaking around. Actually getting into gun fights was sloppy and just not all that fun. Playing Mankind Divided as a stealth game is still the only viable way to play the game. Once things go loud, it turns into an awful shooter, like holy shit is it terrible. The gun play has zero punch to it. The weapons all feel limp as hell, the cover system sucks, the action feels clunky and robotic, and the AI is still dull as bricks. That's another thing that seriously annoys me, why is the AI still terrible? It was horrible in HR, and it's still super dumb here as well.

I'm enjoying the game a lot, but I think this game could be way better. HR came out five years ago, and to still see the same mistakes repeated again is a big disappointment.

Top Bottom