• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's is One Year Old Today; My Thoughts...

Didn't they spend half the dev time creating the Dawn engine too? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I would think with a mostly eatablished engine and plot (supposedly), they could get a sequel out in a portion of the time it took MD.

I recently jumped back in for NG+. Been yearning for more. Mad at myself for missing out on the recent sale; $7.99 for the season pass. :(
For sure. In theory, a sequel would take less time to develop because the engine is done, presuming, of course, that said sequel would use the same engine, which would only make sense.

HR is a poor man's imitation of DX. But the beats that it copies are so fucking good (and so rare in gaming) that it made for a much more memorable experience than MD.

I never loved HR. Arkane gets it. Eidos Montreal seems to have less of a grasp over the identity of its games. This was particularly obvious with MD which was really fraught between having to be a "Dems Ex" game and EM clearly believing it was their time to spread their wings and create something original.
I dunno, I still think EM did a great job with Deus Ex. Hell, I even liked Thief in spite of its flaws. They're not perfect, but they're one of the few studios around who still make these games.

Moff

one of my favourite games this generation, leveldesign, gameplay, variety was stellar, plot was very bad, sadly.

I can recommend the prison dlc if anyone hasn't played it and wants more deus ex, it's very good. the other 2 jensen stories were pretty boring.

Bunga

Kind of crossposting:

I think I played for an hour or so and dropped it. Really enjoyed HR, but MD was so uninspired.

For example, the first two sequences (Dubai terrorist hunt and the train station 'walk and talk') were, in terms of content, essentially the same two sequences that opened HR (Lab 'walk and talk' and Factory terrorist hunt), but switched around. Then it hit the same beat of asking you to get your cybernetics fixed by the local 'quirky' expert, and... I had to drop it. It was all the same beats in the first hour or so.

If it had been done in a clever, referential way, it might've been okay, but instead it was just... meh.

There was a complete lack of inspiration in MD. It seemed to me like it couldn't find it's own identity.

Really enjoys HR, plays an hour of sequel, discovers it's like the predecessor, bases opinion of entire game on one hour, drops it for being boring. Kay lol.

jtb

Banned
For sure. In theory, a sequel would take less time to develop because the engine is done, presuming, of course, that said sequel would use the same engine, which would only make sense.

I dunno, I still think EM did a great job with Deus Ex. Hell, I even liked Thief in spite of its flaws. They're not perfect, but they're one of the few studios around who still make these games.

I think too much of the core EM gameplay loop revolves around the "press X to win" mechanic. It's way too easy to play non-lethally; there's much less emphasis on stealth or need to explore. I get why they did it, but a more happy medium would have been appreciated.

And I never liked the weird dialogue minigames. All things considered, they did fine and if Arkane hadn't come along, I'd be praising them to the heavens like a dying man in the desert getting his first drop of water.

Hystzen

My replay of this game is never going happen due to piss poor sound mixing I can't hear fuck all in cutscenes apart from music then if i turn it up i go deaf when gameplay starts up. It makes Wolfensteins sound mixing seem amazing on ps4 in comparison. Its oddly only game on both my pro and og ps4 that has fucked sound

I think Prague was beautifully designed in a lot of ways and in a lot of ways this game felt even closer to that DX1 timeline.

But at the same time, it was just so sterile and boring. Maybe I played HR and DX1 too much but it didn't have the same allure or vibe, even though Jensen has some choice lines.

I really need to pick it back up as I left off somewhere in Golem City, because the plot of the game was completely uninspiring or interesting in anyway.

Gameplay wise the game makes so many great additions, it's a full sequel ahead of where HR was and closer in feel to DX1. Which is crazy for me because HR already felt like a slightly streamlined DX1.

It also happens to be an incredibly good looking game on PC, I was shocked to find people saying it looked terrible but then again people said that about Human Revolution.
They are very, very wrong.

But at the same time, it was just so sterile and boring.

Maybe I played HR and DX1 too much but it didn't have the same allure or vibe
Sterile, clinical, like the overly clean lights of a hospital, with a cold blue tinge a la Children of Men to make you feel too clean, too sterilized, too in control.

Intentional to make you feel oppressed and depressed.

By contract, HR with its gold is inspiring, romantic, the renaissance of augmentation.

By design I think MD is "sterile" while HR has "allure."

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoys HR, plays an hour or so of the sequel, discovers the opening follows almost exactly the same beats as its predecessor (and thus shows a stunning lack of imagination or daring on the part of the developers), bases opinion of the entire game on the opening hour (which is the part of the game that should draw you in and introduce you to the core gameplay loops and ideas of the rest of the game), drops it for being both uninspired and lacking in its own identity. Fair enough, mate. You explained your position fairly well and it doesn't seem reactionary. To each their own.

FTFY

Top Bottom