• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers who have never made a bad game

mkenyon

Banned
I think you're missing the fact that this is all...subjective lol.
To a certain extent, sure. But in the event that Naughty Dog had never made their earlier games, I wouldn't disagree with someone that said they never made a bad game. I personally find stuff like Uncharted and TLOU to be the antethesis of enjoyment, but I can appreciate the fact that they are well crafted.

rekameohs

Banned
Retro Studios released the greatest game ever in Metroid Prime as their first release, and have stayed extremely high-quality. All of their crappy "early developer growing pain" titles were cancelled before making Prime.

While I love Naughty Dog, I can't count them because of their early games, whereas Retro absolutely fits the bill.

Timu

Jak_X_-_Combat_Racing_Coverart.png

Quite possibly one of the worst PSP games I've played.
This was on PSP?o_O

Andodalf

Banned
I'm not much familiar with any games pre 2000, but I don't know of any bad BGS games, and I don't think I'd call any game made by the real bioware bad either. Obsidian is borderline IMO, simply because of how glitchy some of their games are.

SirNinja

Black Isle would probably be my answer.

Diablo 3 and the auction house

...is no longer a valid point, now that the AH is forever gone. The game has been awesome ever since 2.0.

Blizzard is kind of a tricky answer to the OP's question, actually. Most of their games started out mediocre-to-good, but they all eventually received several substantial patches that made the games excellent. Diablo II is probably the biggest example of that. That game was plagued with a number of issues and bad gameplay decisions at launch, but hardly anyone remembers because they overhauled the entire game through a series of great updates.

Diablo III's auction house was probably the closest Blizzard ever got to "bad". But, again, that point has been invalid for months now.

I was going to say Retro but they made Metroid Prime 2

...which was also awesome, sorry. Been playing through it just this week and it still holds up 10 years later.

Laieon

Diablo III's auction house was probably the closest Blizzard ever got to "bad". But, again, that point has been invalid for months now.

Even if it was still valid, I'd still argue that at the of the day, D3's combat is more enjoyable than any other ARPG. It just feels really, really good.

Eusis

Are we really going to count pre Crash Naughty Dog? That team is completely different to the one now. Way of the Warrior was made in Jason Rubin's living room and how many people here actually had a 3DO and played it?

If you count from Crash onwards, Naughty Dog has a damn good track record.
While that's a point worth keeping in mind I do get the impression we're trying to track a developer through thick and thin, and they had made stuff pre-Way of the Warrior anyway. Maybe if they were Naughty Dog-in-name-only from Crash onwards I could fully agree to that, but we did have the two founding members stay through to the end of the PS2 era, so it was probably more a gradual shift like I assume most developers such as Bungie went through.
i thought SH collection was the embarrassing one, what was wrong with ZOE HD?
The initial release was below average. Not SH Collection travesty, but ZoE1 had some performance hiccups and ZoE2 couldn't keep up with the PS2's fps and even had the graphics messed up some. Hexadrive's port on the other hand is a shining example of what ports can and should be, and so the PS3 version went from worst version to definitive version.

EDIT: And yeah, companies with few games are REALLY easy to list, kinda feels like cheating if it's technically true. Look at Yacht games, not a single bad game! And only one good game.

SURGEdude

On a semi-related note, I've always wondered how different the future would have been if Myth 2's installer bug had been caught before the game had gone gold.

We might have gotten a decent Myth 3 instead of what we got (different dev.). That is a series that really really needs to be revisited.

IrishNinja

Yeah MGS4 was like an A- after a series of A+ games. Expectations were just too high. Portable Ops on the other hand is literally a bad game, like a bad game, so Kojima Productions can't be included.

man, for being what it was - a first time portable entry (i dont think acid counts) - i dug PO just fine, except for the retcons it created with Yeager. plus of course did things better but it wasn't bad by me, and not nearlyt eh disappointment that 4 was - granted it kinda felt like a sidequest compared to say Peace Walker.

I automatically think less of anyone who posts Naughty Dog or "Naughty Gods".

eh i just think they're newjacks who prolly started in the PS3 era for the most part

I'm not familiar with most of the Japanese sports titles, but Sega AM6/Smilebit might belong in this topic.

Sega Worldwide Soccer
Panzer Dragoon Series
Let's Make a Pro Baseball Club Series
Jet Set Radio Series
Gunvalkyrie

see this here is another great candidate, surprised i'm not seeing smilebit named more often here

impact

Banned
Valve:
Alien Swarm PC July 19, 2010
Counter-Strike Xbox November 18, 2003
Counter-Strike PC November 10, 2000
Counter-Strike 1 Anthology PC September 13, 2005
Counter-Strike Online PC
Counter-Strike Online 2 PC
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero PC March 23, 2004
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Mac August 21, 2012
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive PC August 21, 2012
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive PS3 August 21, 2012
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Xbox 360 August 21, 2012
Counter-Strike: Source Mac June 23, 2010
Counter-Strike: Source PC October 7, 2004
Day of Defeat PC May 6, 2003
Day of Defeat: Source PC September 26, 2005
Deathmatch Classic PC Released
Dota 2 Mac July 9, 2013
Dota 2 PC July 9. 2013
Half-Life PC November 19, 1998
Half-Life Mac December 5, 1998
Half-Life Game of the Year Edition PC January 1, 1999
Half-Life 1 Anthology PC September 26, 2005
Half-Life 2 Game of the Year Edition PC September 12, 2005
Half-Life 2 Collector's Edition PC November 16, 2004
Half-Life 2 Xbox November 15, 2005
Half-Life 2 PC November 16, 2004
Half-Life 2 Mac May 26, 2010
Half-Life 2 Holiday 2006 Collection PC October 24, 2007
Half-Life 2 Survivor Arcade TBA
Half-Life 2: Black BoxPC Cancelled
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch PC October 30, 2006
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch Source PC Released
Half-Life 2: Episode One Mac May 26, 2010
Half-Life 2: Episode One PC June 1, 2006
Half-Life 2: Episode Pack PC April 8, 2008
Half-Life 2: Episode Three PC TBA
Half-Life 2: Episode Three [rumored] PS3 TBA
Half-Life 2: Episode Three [rumored] Xbox 360 TBA
Half-Life 2: Episode Two Mac May 26, 2010
Half-Life 2: Episode Two PC October 9, 2007
Half-Life 2: Lost CoastPC October 27, 2005
Half-Life 2: Platinum CollectionPC November 8, 2006
Half-Life 3PC TBA
Half-Life Generation Blue Shift EditionPC Released
Half-Life GenerationPC Released
Half-Life: Adrenaline PackPC 1996
Half-Life: Blue Shift: SourcePC TBA
Half-Life: Day One PC November, 1998
Half-Life: Initial Encounter PC Europe only
Half-Life: Opposing Force: Source PC TBA
Half-Life: Platinum Collection PC Released
Half-Life: Platinum Collection Second Edition PC 2002
Half-Life: Source PC November 16, 2004
Left 4 Dead Game of the Year Edition PC May 12, 2009
Left 4 Dead Game of the Year Edition Xbox 360 May 12, 2009
Left 4 Dead Xbox 360 November 17, 2008
Left 4 Dead PC November 17, 2008
Left 4 Dead Game of the Year Edition Mac October 5, 2010
Left 4 Dead -- Crash Course Xbox 360 September 29, 2009
Left 4 Dead -- Crash Course PC September 29, 2009
Left 4 Dead 2 Mac October 5, 2010
Left 4 Dead 2 Xbox 360 November 17, 2009
Left 4 Dead 2 PC November 17, 2009
Left 4 Dead 2 Linux TBA 2012
Left 4 Dead 2: Cold Stream Mac August 3, 2012
Left 4 Dead 2: Cold Stream PC August 3, 2012
Left 4 Dead 2: Cold Stream Xbox 360 August 3, 2012
Left 4 Dead 2: The Passing PC April 22, 2010
Left 4 Dead 2: The Passing Xbox 360 April 22, 2010
Left 4 Dead 2: The Sacrifice PC October 5, 2010
Left 4 Dead 2: The Sacrifice Xbox 360 October 5, 2010
Left 4 Dead: Survivors Arcade Import Only
Left 4 Dead: The Sacrifice PC October 5, 2010
Left 4 Dead: The Sacrifice Xbox 360 October 5, 2010
Portal PC October 9, 2007
Portal Mac May 6, 2010
Portal 2 PC April 19, 2011
Portal 2 Xbox 360 April 19, 2011
Portal 2 Mac April 19, 2011
Portal 2 PS3 April 19, 2011
Portal: Still Alive Xbox 360 October 22, 2008
Ricochet PC Released*
SiN Episodes: Emergence [rumored] PS3 TBA
SiN Episodes: Emergence [rumored] Xbox 360 TBA
Team Fortress 2 Mac June 10, 2010
Team Fortress 2 PC October 9, 2007
Team Fortress Classic PC May 30, 1999
Team Fortress: Source PC Cancelled
The Orange Box PS3 December 14, 2007
The Orange Box Xbox 360 October 9, 2007
The Orange Box PC October 9, 2007

*Possible exception

Valve didn't even develop more than half of this list.

Darkangel

I can't think of many that have NEVER developed a bad game, but off the top of my head:

Retro Studios:
  • Metroid Prime
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echos
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze
Remedy:
  • Death Rally
  • Max Payne
  • Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
  • Alan Wake
  • Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Harmonix:
  • Basically every good music game

Head.spawn

Naughty Dog is disqualified.

I still remember Rings of Power and the only redeeming factor for that turd IMO, was the naked lady code.

I can't think of many that have NEVER developed a bad game, but off the top of my head:

Retro Studios:
  • Metroid Prime
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echos
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze
Remedy:
  • Death Rally
  • Max Payne
  • Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
  • Alan Wake
  • Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Harmonix:
  • Basically every good music game

This thread is impossible because it's all opinion based. That said, Alan Wake sucks.

Team ICO hasn't made very many games or released any in awhile but their games have been quality IMO.

Lemmy

Banned
This thread is impossible because it's all opinion based. That said, Alan Wake sucks.

I agree. I also think the Max Payne games were boring as hell to play. So as you can imagine, I don't think much of Remedy.

Team ICO hasn't made very many games or released any in awhile but their games have been quality IMO.

Technically Team ICO is just one of the teams at SCEJ, and overall, those guys have made more than their share of shit, believe me.

Red Dead Revolver

State of Emergency 1 and 2 also.

Valve, I guess. Probably because they're playing it so safe though.

Valve had ricochet, but I don't consider that "bad", just not a game I was into.

Valve & Blizzard (thought D3 was garbage but it isn't bad/awful) are the two developers that coe to mind. I've also enjoyed Bioware (same deal with DA2, less than great but still not bad). Rocksteady seems to be on a good path as well, Urban chaos was seemingly recieved well.

Bad for me would be something below 60 on a 100 scale.

Yes, a couple of their games are average, but I find that Raven Software has put out a consistently decent line of games, to the point where I pretty much know I'll enjoy a new game by them:

RavenGames_zpsd0e0e11a.jpg

Raven software very good, sad to see they're a COD factory now. Hexen and JK are easily in my top 20 list of favorite games.

Wikipedia says the game got "mixed reactions".
Who are their sources? And if one of them's GameFan, their grade is already one letter too high (love that magazine anyway).

In any case it's certainly aged much worst than any of their other games, but that's to be expected with what it was trying to emulate.

Nazca Corporation? Only made Neo Turf Masters and Metal Slug before SNK bought the company.
I think I can co-sign on this one.

Hypron

Yup, American Nightmare is the worst they did, but only because its repetitiveness didn't work as well as intended. Still a fun romp.

I don't know. I found that while the overall story is less interesting than Alan Wake, the gameplay itself (especially the gunplay) is way better and more than makes up for it. Shooting stuff in that game was a lot more satisfying and a bit reminiscent of the Max Payne games. The only issue I have is that the reload animations are shit (the magazines stay in the weapons for the whole animation and Alan just magically warps a new magazine inside the existing one).

Sorry, Bioshock had a shit way of delivering its story via audio logs. Also both Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite suffer from shit combat controls/scenarios.

Disagree. Both Bioshock games are amazing, have a very high Metacritic score and, despite the haters, which are minority, a huge legion of fans. Subjective opinions doesn't make games bad by any means.

Answering the thread:

Clover
Nintendo EAD
KojiPro
Naughty Dog
Platinum

Yoda

well, to be fair, there were 2 endgame raids, the one with the five bosses and the second, who had 1 boss at launch and another 4 witthin 1 month after launch. I'd say thats fine.

10 raid bosses and about a dozen hardmode flashpoints witthin 1 month of launch was NOT a problem of SWTOR. the bugs on the other hand, were, and the overall crappy engine.

Kragga's didn't come out for a month or two after launch if memory serves correctly. Rift had a much smaller development budget and had a much more fleshed out endgame than SWTOR did. The crappy engine made the game feel less fluid, but if were talking about design choices I'd say the the carbon copy classes (BH --> Trooper, etc) was more egregious than choosing an unproven engine.

KHlover

Banned
Kirby Air Ride.

A shame since it had a great UI and is the only open world kirby game. But it literally uses one button.

City Trials mang. Literally the saving grace of that game (And the basis for Smash Run in SSB4 3DS). It also introduced the menu style of all further Sakurai games.

Mumford

Came here to say Sucker Punch, though I'm not 100% sure on the consensus of their N64 game. That said, the entirety of both the Sly series & the InFAMOUS series under SP are gold.

entremet

City Trials mang. Literally the saving grace of that game (And the basis for Smash Run in SSB4 3DS). It also introduced the menu style of all further Sakurai games.
Isn't Air Ride like super expensive now too? Game has a weird cult following now.

Top Bottom