• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

TreIII

If they do some sort of universe/mythos-broadening move to allow room for more powerful antagonists, I'm cool with just enough Sparda talk to properly contextualize the conflict between him and Mundus within whatever the larger order of things is. It just needs to come along with making it clear that the power of Sparda is no longer some sort of trump card.

Yeah, in the end, the only way the story will be able to move forward in a poignant fashion is if Dante is actually challenged again by new opposition that "Makes Mundus and Sparda's battle look like Tiddlywinks".

And ideally, at least some big bad/rivals that outlive their initial game appearances, so that we have a believable upping of the ante when Dante and friends can't wrap up everything nicely by the end of DMC5.

Yeah, in the end, the only way the story will be able to move forward in a poignant fashion is if Dante is actually challenged again by new opposition that "Makes Mundus and Sparda's battle look like Tiddlywinks".

And ideally, at least some big bad/rivals that outlive their initial game appearances, so that we have a believable upping of the ante when Dante and friends can't wrap up everything nicely by the end of DMC5.
I do think it's more important for DMC5 to tell a good story about the (wildly dysfunctional) Sparda family, but it's better off focusing on basically the five playable characters from DMC4SE, plus whichever villain character(s) get introduced. As long as nobody's seeking the power of Sparda yet again, I'm kind of okay if DMC5 focuses on a story with heart over, like, power levels. Ideally both things can be achieved at once, of course.

I think a good way to accomplish both is to find a way to bring Vergil back as the first act of the story, show that he's got conflicts with the other four characters (which he would), and introduce a threat of sufficient magnitude that it requires them all to settle their differences and work together to defeat.

Dahbomb

Can't wait for a "How come he don't want me man?" from Dante in DMC5!

tumblr_m5g3gv4OUG1qm15teo9_r1_250.gif

Kinda reminds me of the killers intros in No More Heroes'
I LOVE IT!
Haven't played No More Heroes but these stuff are a tradition in Yakuza series. Especially Yakuza 0 has some really memorable ones that I can't link due to spoilers. So whenever you get around to playing it, you should be able to enjoy more of these :)

Valtekken

Banned
Apparently, there are no plans at Capcom to make a Dino Crisis reboot.
On one hand, I'm very sorry for the fans of this series. On the other hand, this makes a new mainline series Devil May Cry game slightly more likely, doesn't it? Considering Capcom said they were looking to "revive series that have not had new entries recently", this means only Viewtiful Joe and DMC haven't had a mainline entry recently (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't really follow Capcom's other franchises so this was the result of a quick Wikipedia search).

Apparently, there are no plans at Capcom to make a Dino Crisis reboot.
On one hand, I'm very sorry for the fans of this series. On the other hand, this makes a new mainline series Devil May Cry game slightly more likely, doesn't it? Considering Capcom said they were looking to "revive series that have not had new entries recently", this means only Viewtiful Joe and DMC haven't had a mainline entry recently (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't really follow Capcom's other franchises so this was the result of a quick Wikipedia search).
I don't think that would've really affected DMC series in any way. OG DMC is basically Itsuno's franchise now and I don't think he would've been to one to work on a possible DC if Capcom wanted to make one since IIRC he hasn't really made any shooter before.

Valtekken

Banned
I don't think that would've really affected DMC series in any way. OG DMC is basically Itsuno's franchise now and I don't think he would've been to one to work on a possible DC if Capcom wanted to make one since IIRC he hasn't really made any shooter before.
I didn't mean that. I meant that since Capcom said they wanted to revive some of their old franchises that haven't been had a new entry in a while, the exclusion of Dino Crisis leaves out DMC and Viewtiful Joe as their only franchises with similar release dates for their latest mainline releases, so if they publish a new game following their criteria, they will probably publish either a new DMC or a new Viewtiful Joe. Thus, the likeliness of a new DMC coming is higher now than it was before (considering Capcom has limited resources and can make only so many games at the same time).

I didn't mean that. I meant that since Capcom said they wanted to revive some of their old franchises that haven't been had a new entry in a while, the exclusion of Dino Crisis leaves out DMC and Viewtiful Joe as their only franchises with similar release dates for their latest mainline releases, so if they publish a new game following their criteria, they will probably publish either a new DMC or a new Viewtiful Joe. Thus, the likeliness of a new DMC coming is higher now than it was before (considering Capcom has limited resources and can make only so many games at the same time).
Wasn't the last VJ back in 2004, though? Even if we exclude DmC (which I'm sure Capcom doesn't) the last DMC entry would be from 2008. As much as would love to see older stuff like Onimusha, God Hand or VJ come back, I think the most likely candidates from Capcom to make a come back are stuff that they were still making in PS3 era.

So if I had to guess, besides DMC, I think Lost Planet has the biggest chance of getting a new entry.

Valtekken

Banned
Wasn't the last VJ back in 2004, though? Even if we exclude DmC (which I'm sure Capcom doesn't) the last DMC entry would be from 2008. As much as would love to see older stuff like Onimusha, God Hand or VJ come back, I think the most likely candidates from Capcom to make a come back are stuff that they were still making in PS3 era.

So if I had to guess, besides DMC, I think Lost Planet has the biggest chance of getting a new entry.
Nah, DmC is totally out of the question. Capcom won't even dare say its name after that PR disaster that game was. VJ may be older, but I don't think it has the same fan base as DMC, especially after all these years. Onimusha is a good candidate too, but I dunno. Has it got a following as big as DMC's at the present time?
I don't know God Hand, but since it has been released in 2006/2007, it could be revived too (even though I really don't know about this one's following today).
Lost Planet has had a new entry recently, just 4 years ago. Not that much, compared to DMC, and definitely not something that needs a revival considering it doesn't seem quite dead.
I think that when Capcom said "revive" and "not recently" they really meant it. Like PS2- or at least very early PS3-era stuff.

TreIII

The other problem with Viewtiful Joe likely never happening again is the same problem a number of Capcom's older brands have: the key people who made the brand what it was are no longer at the company or associated with it (re: the former Clover Studios).

Plus, unlike Itsuno with DMC, I don't have nearly as much confidence that somebody else could take the reigns and make VJ work without the original crew. And even if it is some 13 years later, I still would want an actual finale to the original trilogy that was planned, not a "reboot".

I STILL wanna see what was the "enemy beyond imagination" in that castle, dammit! Still makes me bitter...

Nah, DmC is totally out of the question. Capcom won't even dare say its name after that PR disaster that game was. VJ may be older, but I don't think it has the same fan base as DMC, especially after all these years. Onimusha is a good candidate too, but I dunno. Has it got a following as big as DMC's at the present time?
I don't know God Hand, but since it has been released in 2006/2007, it could be revived too (even though I really don't know about this one's following today).
Lost Planet has had a new entry recently, just 4 years ago. Not that much, compared to DMC, and definitely not something that needs a revival considering it doesn't seem quite dead.
I think that when Capcom said "revive" and "not recently" they really meant it. Like PS2- or at least very early PS3-era stuff.
I don't know man. The "we will revive more franchises" news came after MvC:I's announcement so in their eyes, they revived that series even though UMvC3 had been released 5 years prior. So, I don't think they are necessarily thinking of games during PS2 era with that statement.

As for what series might have a chance of getting a new entry from Capcom, I think Onimusha is the only one that they've actually mentioned before. It also had a trademark registration a couple of years ago. Other than that, there hasn't been any other signs pointing to other franchises of Capcom getting a second chance.

Well other than DMC, cause we all believe in that :)

Thing is, Viewtiful Joe and God Hand never put up sales numbers even close to DMC's. Devil May Cry 4 was damn near mainstream with three million sales. If they're gonna bring anything back, it'll be Devil May Cry (averaging over two million sales per entry) or Onimusha (1.5 to 2 million sales) they bring back, not Viewtiful Joe (averaging 320,000 copies per entry and barely sold 6,000 week one for the DS in Japan) or Godhand (didn't crack a million).

TreIII

Thing is, Viewtiful Joe and God Hand never put up sales numbers even close to DMC's. Devil May Cry 4 was damn near mainstream with three million sales. If they're gonna bring anything back, it'll be Devil May Cry (averaging over two million sales per entry) or Onimusha (1.5 to 2 million sales) they bring back, not Viewtiful Joe (averaging 320,000 copies per entry and barely sold 6,000 week one for the DS in Japan) or Godhand (didn't crack a million).

Well, with Viewtiful Joe, it's different. Once upon time, they were trying to give it the "Mega Man" treatment. They had a game released every year, for three years (even though the likes of Red Hot Rumble and Double Trouble were spin offs that undermined the brand's quality), and they had a moderately successful anime series running at the time in Japan, and for a brief period in the US.

So, it didn't really matter that VJ wasn't a million-seller because it was a decent merchandise maker, for its day.

Either way, it's clear that the ship has long since set sail. And Capcom still has enough issues when it comes to taking care of their "midtier" brands, as it is.

Valtekken

Banned
The other problem with Viewtiful Joe likely never happening again is the same problem a number of Capcom's older brands have: the key people who made the brand what it was are no longer at the company or associated with it (re: the former Clover Studios).

Plus, unlike Itsuno with DMC, I don't have nearly as much confidence that somebody else could take the reigns and make VJ work without the original crew. And even if it is some 13 years later, I still would want an actual finale to the original trilogy that was planned, not a "reboot".

I STILL wanna see what was the "enemy beyond imagination" in that castle, dammit! Still makes me bitter...
Well, that's one good argument against a new Viewtiful Joe as the next dormant franchise getting revived. I mean, after Itsuno took over DMC it became pretty much his series and stopped being Kamiya's, so considering he's still at Capcom while Kamiya isn't there anymore a new DMC is far more than just possible.
I don't know man. The "we will revive more franchises" news came after MvC:I's announcement so in their eyes, they revived that series even though UMvC3 had been released 5 years prior. So, I don't think they are necessarily thinking of games during PS2 era with that statement.

As for what series might have a chance of getting a new entry from Capcom, I think Onimusha is the only one that they've actually mentioned before. It also had a trademark registration a couple of years ago. Other than that, there hasn't been any other signs pointing to other franchises of Capcom getting a second chance.

Well other than DMC, cause we all believe in that :)
I don't think there's any kind of correlation between their announcement of MvC:I and the quote about "reviving dormant franchises", because they said "revive series that have not had new entries recently", not "revive MORE series that have not had new entries recently". Technically, the MvC:I announcement came before their quote so it's not part of that plan.
About Onimusha, has it ever sold as much as DMC? Because I think that's really all Capcom cares about right now. Their most known franchise after SF, MvC and RE is DMC, so it only seems like a logical step to make a new game in that series.
Exactly what I meant with the last reply. Their best bet for a successful "revival" right now is DMC. Didn't know about Onimusha, but it seems like it still sells less than DMC based on what you say, so it's still a second best.

Dahbomb

Top 4 best series that Capcom has aside from RE, DR, SF and MH in terms of sales per series:

DMC
Onimusha
Lost Planet
Din Crisis

DMC either beats or is close enough to DR, at the very least it's top 5 in Capcom's games when it comes to average sales.

The other games aren't that far behind but have been dormant for longer save for LP. If DC is out of the picture that leaves very few.

Onimusha in particular is ripe for a reboot. It was always the more grounded type of action/adventure game compared to DMC and people are all about these days between Souls and Nioh games. Not saying they should turn Onimusha into a Souls clone but the demographic is there right now for that type of game IMO... moreso than even DMC.

Valtekken

Banned
Top 4 best series that Capcom has aside from RE, DR, SF and MH in terms of sales per series:

DMC
Onimusha
Lost Planet
Dino Crisis

DMC either beats or is close enough to DR, at the very least it's top 5 in Capcom's games when it comes to average sales.

The other games aren't that far behind but have been dormant for longer save for LP. If DC is out of the picture that leaves very few.

Onimusha in particular is ripe for a reboot. It was always the more grounded type of action/adventure game compared to DMC and people are all about these days between Souls and Nioh games. Not saying they should turn Onimusha into a Souls clone but the demographic is there right now for that type of game IMO... moreso than even DMC.
So the ones fighting to have another shot at life are DMC and Onimusha...well, I hope Capcom chooses the easy way out and makes its decision based upon DMC4SE's (and maybe even NieR: Automata's) sales.

So the ones fighting to have another shot at life are DMC and Onimusha...well, I hope Capcom chooses the easy way out and makes its decision based upon DMC4SE's (and maybe even NieR: Automata's) sales.

I don't think DMC is fighting to have another chance. Capcom should be smart enough to know that the reboot didn't sell well because...well it wasn't Japanese DMC. DMC4 sold 3 million before 4SE came out. This series is closer to the 4 franchises Dahbomb mentioned than the ones that are in the grave. DMC just has never been consistent and when it somewhat was with 3/4 they started all over with another development team.

I'm on mobile so I can't check right now, but I think the revival news was related to MvC:I as well. At least the IGN article that was linked earlier, paints it that way. But I'll get back to you guys on that later.

And yeah I don't think there is any fighting going on between DMC and other titles either. I honestly don't take that statement from Capcom very seriously to begin with, cause they have a history of saying that they are bringing their older franchises back without actually following through with it. They said something similar about Onimusha and DC a few years back which didn't lead to anything either.

Even DmC did 1.9 million after 4 years. The HD collection sold 1.1 million. Every single DMC counting special editions, aside from 2, has sold over two million:

Devil May Cry - 2.2 million
Devil May Cry 2 - 1.7 million
Devil May Cry 3 - 2.3 million (1.3 for OG, 1 for SE)
Devil May Cry 4 - over 3 million (3 million for OG, SE is unknown)
DmC: Devil may Cry - at least 2 million (1.9 OG, SE unknown but probably at least 100K)
Devil May Cry HD - 1.1 million

Devil May Cry is a strong brand. The reboot did poorly to start with due to a legendarily bad PR and marketing campaign, but in the end people saw it was still a solid action title and bought it on sale. That Devil May Cry's future has ever been in doubt shows Capcom's ineptitude at managing the franchise.

Even DmC did 1.9 million after 4 years. The HD collection sold 1.1 million. Every single DMC counting special editions, aside from 2, has sold over two million:

DmC: Devil may Cry - at least 2 million (1.9 OG, SE unknown but probably at least 100K)

Devil May Cry is a strong brand. The reboot did poorly to start with due to a legendarily bad PR and marketing campaign, but in the end people saw it was still a solid action title and bought it on sale. That Devil May Cry's future has ever been in doubt shows Capcom's ineptitude at managing the franchise.

That's what caused of all of this, but it's all good though. Would be funny if Itsuno ends up trolling everyone and has a live demo for that garden simulator instead of DMC lol. "We worked really hard on giving players the feel of watering plants. The RE Engine allows us to use VR so you can see up close what it's like to plant those seeds."

That's what caused of all of this, but it's all good though. Would be funny if Itsuno ends up trolling everyone and has a live demo for that garden simulator instead of DMC lol. "We worked really hard on giving players the feel of watering plants. The RE Engine allows us to use VR so you can see up close what it's like to plant those seeds."
You can take that even further. "With these demonic seeds called arisen, you can grow plants at an increased speed."

Dragon's Dogma and DMC fans will never be the same lol

Golnei

In the field so green and so free, seeds gaze up
The clouds keep them from the light
And the sky cries white tears of snow
But still, the fragile seeds wait long for the sun to shine
Dark winter away, come spring
My young seeds once again will look up to the sky
And I know they will grow strong...

You can take that even further. "With these demonic seeds called arisen, you can grow plants at an increased speed."

Dragon's Dogma and DMC fans will never be the same lol

He'll go from being one of the golden people still at Capcom to becoming the devil himself in just a few minutes lol.

Has anyone seen the Shadow of Wardor gameplay video?

I initially like the Arkham combat when I first played AA years ago but now I've grown to dislike the system for how limited it is, especially during boss fights.

It's the beat up on minions to work up a combo to do one attack on the boss routine. =_=

If you think Dante with a stamina bar is bad, try imagining Dante with a counter button

So yeah, I checked and the reviving franchises bit was in relation to MvC:I
In addition to regular major title releases each fiscal year, Capcom is currently focused on reviving series that have not had new entries recently, or otherwise dormant IP. Beginning with MARVEL VS. CAPCOM: INFINITE, a return for the series following a five-year hiatus, Capcom looks to enhance its corporate value even further by utilizing its library of rich contents.
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e161205b.html
He'll go from being one of the golden people still at Capcom to becoming the devil himself in just a few minutes lol.
This would be so funny. Now I kinda want them to do this as fake out, hahaha.

Mizerman

DMC
Onimusha
Lost Planet
Din Crisis

Hmm...I could see a rebooted Onimusha would take cues from Nioh and Souls with their own brand. Could be interesting.

Valtekken

Banned
I don't think DMC is fighting to have another chance. Capcom should be smart enough to know that the reboot didn't sell well because...well it wasn't Japanese DMC. DMC4 sold 3 million before 4SE came out. This series is closer to the 4 franchises Dahbomb mentioned than the ones that are in the grave. DMC just has never been consistent and when it somewhat was with 3/4 they started all over with another development team.
You're counting on Capcom, the same ones who made the poor decision of rebooting DMC in the first place, to be smart and recognize that the reboot was one the worst business decisions they could've made? I dunno, I don't feel that confident in their ability to learn from their mistakes. I just hope they take a look at the sales and take a decision accordingly. Good sales are somewhat of a working replacement for good judgement (which Capcom clearly doesn't have).

Yeah, exactly. It baffles me how this franchise, one of the PS2's best and most beloved hack'n'slash series, managed to survive under Capcom's retarded management. Doesn't make sense, really...most series would've been canned by the second installment after a series of bad decisions like this.
So yeah, I checked and the reviving franchises bit was in relation to MvC:I
"In addition to regular major title releases each fiscal year, Capcom is currently focused on reviving series that have not had new entries recently, or otherwise dormant IP. Beginning with MARVEL VS. CAPCOM: INFINITE, a return for the series following a five-year hiatus, Capcom looks to enhance its corporate value even further by utilizing its library of rich contents."
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e161205b.html
Well then, it seems like I was mistaken. I stand corrected. But still, MvC having been dormant for 5 years and getting revived means that DMC, having been in a limbo for almost 10 years, should be a priority for Capcom right now, shouldn't it?

Itsuno said he'll reveal his new game this year, so we are at least getting something.
Hmm...I could see a rebooted Onimusha would take cues from Nioh and Souls with their own brand. Could be interesting.
The prospect of a new Onimusha is really exciting, especially now that we live in a post Nier Automata world. That game gets a TON of things right, so I can't help but be excited about what inspirations other devs might get from it. Especially since critically it's a very successful game. I think a new Onimusha that takes some inspirations from Nier Automata in the way that it's designed, could be something truly special.

To be honest I kinda want to see Itsuno take some cues from Neir Automata as well, but DMC5 is probably ways into development so I doubt they could (or even should) change very much about it.

At any rate, everyone here should definitely try Nier Automata. It's almost that perfect action RPG game that people always wanted. It has a deep combat system (not DMC deep but still very very good), good OW design, 60fps (with some dips), absolutely amazing story and characters and tons of variety. Even the inspiration that they got from souls series (which I initially didn't like) is really good and fits the tone of the game perfectly.

It's just a damn great action RPG game which I think could affect the genre as a whole in a very good way. So, you guys should really check it out

stn

So I beat DMC: Definitive Edition for the first time just now. Also beat Vergil's Downfall. I'd say its a 7/10 or a 'B' game. My thoughts:

Pros: Combat, weapons, animations, music.
Cons: Garbage story, Dante and Vergil looked AWFUL, too many control combinations screwed me up sometimes, wasn't really hype for any of the boss fights save Dante vs. Vergil.

I've previously beaten DMC4 and am now working on DMC 1-3. Once that's done I'll also tackle DMC4: Special Ed.

The wait for E3 (or TGS...) is killing me so I decided to platinum DMC2 since I already plat DMC1 & 3. its quite easy but the energy to even start a DMC2 playthrough is exhausting.

The wait for E3 (or TGS...) is killing me so I decided to platinum DMC2 since I already plat DMC1 & 3. its quite easy but the energy to even start a DMC2 playthrough is exhausting.

Fam why are you torturing yourself lol. I refuse to let that game pop up on my trophy list. I'm gonna finish the DMC3 plat and finish Gods Must Die on DmCDE.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I've platinum-ed DMC2 (er, 1000'd on 360). It's actually the most annoying of the 3 games to complete in the HD collection. It requires the most replays of all of them.

Why would anyone subject themselves to Platinuming DMC 2? I swear to God, it's like the developers played DMC 1 and thought "Let's do the exact opposite, especially when it doesn't make sense to do so".

Devil May Cry 2 should be played by everyone who is thinking of making a hack n' slash as it is a prime example of how not to make one.

I've platinum-ed DMC2 (er, 1000'd on 360). It's actually the most annoying of the 3 games to complete in the HD collection. It requires the most replays of all of them.

yeah the replays, although super short, are already killing me.

Just have to complete DMD and bloody palace... and I would never have to look at that game again.

Sesha

Fuck playing DMC2 again. I liked the game back in the day and completed everything but Lucia Must Die (I think), Easy Mode, Bloody Palace and every secret mission. I couldn't imagine going for the Platinum, or even completing a single playthrough again. I love DMC, but not that much. I usually have a lot of tolerance for bullshit too.

Top Bottom