• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's Third (Itagaki PS360) announced, debut trailer inside

tafer

Well, it's a nice touch it is multiplatform... but, it doesn't look that interesting (there is hope!), time to wait.

Jonsoncao said:
Nice use of Beethoven, I luv the music for this trailer

Blasphemy! That name and the related music shouldn't be used in this low form of entertainment! (In other words: It didn't fit that well)

~Kinggi~

Banned
Its the little things that make the trailer impressive. The way the player kinda hops along ledges and the way the camera seems to seamlessly act cinematic while they are jumping around and slicing up enemies. Stuff like that coupled with a deep fighting engine is gonna make the game great. Still we dont know much.

ztgrnt.gif

Jonsoncao

Banned
tafer said:
Well, it's a nice touch it is multiplatform... but, it doesn't look that interesting (there is hope!), time to wait.

Blasphemy! That name and the related music shouldn't be used in this low form of entertainment! (In other words: It didn't fit that well)
why? the last mvt of Symphony No.5 being used in so many places

Pooya

Eurogamer interview
about the THQ deal
Eurogamer: Can you give me a little overview of how you got to this point?

Danny Bilson: We met the Valhalla team maybe 6-8 months ago, and they had an unbelievable prototype built in multiplayer that was something we'd never seen before. Ever. We really liked the team, believe in the team, loved their previous work and it took me and my team about 10 minutes to make the decision to go forward.

We met and I felt a strong connection with these people and their art, and about 10 minutes later we said, 'Let's go.' We made a deal, we visited them in Tokyo, we worked on a bunch of fiction together - it's mostly their fiction, we just responded to it. This is a game that is absolutely the work of Itagaki-san and his team. It has very little influence from us. We're very excited about it.

Eurogamer: Is the arrangement part of your THQ Partners programme?

Danny Bilson: That's incorrect. Itagaki-san is working directly with myself - I'm the executive vice president of core games - and our creative teams here. This is one of our internal core products with an external studio, so it's nothing to do with the THQ Partners relationship, which is much more engaged and involved across all aspects of [THQ] production

Eurogamer: Could I ask Mr Itagaki - how would you describe Devil's Third to somebody who has heard very little about it?

Tomonobu Itagaki: [Laughs] We wanted to make a game that would appeal to a lot of people, that a lot of people could play and enjoy, and to do that we think we really need to come up with some new innovations to make that type of game - and that's what we're working on.

I think when people see the video we've prepared to introduce the game, they'll get a pretty good idea of a lot of elements of the game, and it will pique your imagination about what it all might be about.

Combat System
Eurogamer: You've got guns in there as well as swords. Is there anything you can say about the combat system you've gone for and how the game is controlled?

Tomonobu Itagaki: The Ninja Gaiden games I've worked on before were kind of a hackandslash experience - combat with weapons. And of course there are games like Devil May Cry. So first of all I would say even though you can see things that look like both of those games, I want to make sure people don't confuse it and think that the game we're doing is either a Ninja Gaiden-type game or a Devil May Cry-type game.

Gamers who pay close attention to the trailer will notice there's a substantial difference there. So if you think of it as a shooting game that includes a level of melee combat and fighting that has never been done in a shooting game before, that's a good way to think of it.

The reasons for wanting to do this kind of game are that we were looking at the shooting genre and think someone should take it to the next level, and I think this is a good way to do it.

Also I want to have more realistic elements of military combat - and that's one thing where Danny and I have very similar tastes. We're both very knowledgeable about real military combat weapons. And we like killing each other [laughs].

newer technologies
Eurogamer: Looking at that kind of timeframe and this level of ambition, a lot of things are going to change with control and even display options in the next two years. Are you considering PlayStation Move or Project Natal, or even stereoscopic 3D?

Danny Bilson: On this game? I don't really want to comment on that now, because I don't think it would be fair.

hey Itagaki has a 3DTV
Eurogamer: Cool. Could I ask that question to Mr Itagaki as well? What do you think of 3D technology?

Tomonobu Itagaki: I'm very interested in looking into 3D. We've been looking at what's available for 3D PC games, and I also have a 3D TV at home now.

about cooperation with THQ studios

Tomonobu Itagaki: Well, in the trailer, you'll notice where the guy in the snakeskin jacket grabs a military dressed-up guy and smashes his head against the side of a military vehicle? That is actually a tank from Homefront.

So that's a very small level of cooperation [laughs]. But whenever the resources are needed, we arrange what we can.

about relationship with TECMO

Eurogamer: Mr Itagaki, I know you're sort of solidly moved on from Tecmo these days, but I was wondering what you thought of Dead or Alive Paradise?

Tomonobu Itagaki: Tecmo gave me the game as a present, but I've not had time to play it yet. But I have a good relationship with Tecmo now - we're all friends.

about superior hardware
Eurogamer: Something you were quite famous for during the period you were developing Ninja Gaiden for Xbox 360 was your distaste for the PS3 and its complexity. Do you still feel that way or have you changed your mind?

Tomonobu Itagaki: Well you know, when I'm talking to girls, I'll say I like one more than the other, but when we're talking about hardware I really don't have much preference. When I was speaking about hardware, [it was] if I were to build the machine, maybe I would do it that way, but it's kind of an engineering approach discussion - I have no emotional involvement in the issue.

the game is easier than ninja gaiden apparently. more accessible.
Eurogamer: One of the things that characterised Ninja Gaiden was quite a severe difficulty level - is that something we can expect from this game or is it more accessible?

Tomonobu Itagaki: Compared to the time when we made that game, we've kind of developed to the point where we want to and can make games that appeal to a broader audience. It's harder to make easy-to-play and fun games than it is to make a hard-to-play and fun game. I feel that now we've compiled enough experience over these genres that we can do a good job of making a game that is both easy to get into and fun.

Along those lines, as you mentioned earlier, making the last 10 per cent of the game takes 50 per cent of the time - you're correct that we will spend a long time on the last 10 per cent of this game as well. That is one of the main reasons that I decided to work with THQ - we can do that here. Danny has been very clear on that concept - that we will only make good games.
fifth all-new project
Eurogamer: You've described this game, I saw in coverage of your comments last week, as the fifth all-new project in your lifetime. But I'm curious what kind of lessons you take from your previous projects into this one.

Tomonobu Itagaki: Everything. And not just myself, but the whole team I'm working with. We've brought all the lessons and know-how to bear on this project. For example, in Dead or Alive details such as going from standing state to crouching state - how many frames should that be, and the real details of working a system like that. There are only a couple of people in the world who really understand how that works, and that's just one piece of knowledge we're bringing to this.

multiplayer, audience, overall development

Tomonobu Itagaki: I have a clear policy on this, and that is that you can't make a game focused for any group of people - you have to make it a game that appeals to people in general. We need to make a game that has central themes anyone can understand and appreciate.

There's also something I want to say about the story. We can't talk about the story yet, but I believe in any shooting game up to this point, none has had a story as big and involved and elaborate as this one.

And I also think that the multiplayer - really, single-player and multiplayer are both the main modes of this game. The multiplayer will also be really very fun. So the game itself is maybe 10 per cent done, but I'd say the "battle engine" is at about a beta state now. So when we had Danny and everybody out to the studio in Tokyo to play the demo, after 15 minutes everyone was just playing games and the meeting kind of fell apart.

This is the first time I've made a shooting game, but I am a veteran at making games that involve competition between people, so I feel confident that we can bring that core essence of competitive gameplay to the shooting genre as well.

looks great in concept, and a little rough but that's how 5~10% complete games are.
hoping to see more footage by the end of the year, or the next one to see how it improves.
very interested in how this will turn out :D

riceandbeans said:
DoAX2 makes sense, that was a buggy mess but wouldn't it be MS's fault since they published NG2?

a Master Ninja said:
You're right, Microsoft "needed" the game out before MGS4. Hopefully THQ lets them release this new game when it's done.

No, he was leavngTecmo and had to get the game out. Remember it was a co-published game wit MS and Tecmo. In the end the game was rushed because he was being rushed out due to him leaving the company not because MS wanted the game out at the same time with MGS4.

He announced he was laving right before NG2 was shipped.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Rabbitwork said:
trailer reminded me of wet.

thats not really good.
This is from the creator of NG so we know the melee won't be ass. The question is whether they can get the shooting right. Because if they do then they might have something special on their hands.

Eurogamer: One of the things that characterised Ninja Gaiden was quite a severe difficulty level - is that something we can expect from this game or is it more accessible?

Tomonobu Itagaki: Compared to the time when we made that game, we've kind of developed to the point where we want to and can make games that appeal to a broader audience.

RIP Itagaki

It totally looks like the unreal engine.

But after watching it a few times it kind of grew on me. I'm not writing it off completely yet.

One thing about the way we develop here at THQ now is that we don't ship it until it's unbelievably awesome, so when I say two years, it could be shorter, it could be longer, but it really is dictated by game quality, and when Itagaki-san and our team shake hands and say we're ready to go. That's when we go.

That's nice, we won't get an unpolished game this time but WTF, roughly 2 years?, see you next year in E3 2011.

I can see where people are coming from comparing it to Wet, but I at least think that the close combat looks more fluid and fun. I think a more valid concern would be about the gunplay, looks like it could turn out to be a mess.

Cerberus

For a game in early development, that looked awesome. Interested in learning more about the mechanics. Time to read the awesome Itagaki interviews posted in the thread.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
duckroll said:
I dunno what you mean. He's just saying the game is very early now. It's probably a 2011 title.
·feist· said:
No, that just sounds like a 2011 release to me.
Ah okay, I took it as a "It'll be finished when it's finished and we'll move it unto the next piece of hardware if thats what it takes."

Top Bottom