• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's Third - NoA Drops Plans For US Release (Unseen 64)

Shauni

But what is a bad game?

I tried playing the original dmc like five minutes ago, and it was bad--no camera control, confusing level layout, no tutorial, janky movment. I'd bet ninja gaiden black also is bad in similar ways.

Should the hd version of dmc1 never have been released? Is it a good thing NGblack is not available any more?

Ninja Gaiden Black isn't bad in any ways

I think he's responding to people who don't think it'll come out in the USA at all, not the NoA stuff.

Could also be responding to people who've heard negative impressions. In that case, don't believe him, but also think negative impressions could just as easily be due to people sucking at action games. I'll have to play it myself.

But what is a bad game?

I tried playing the original dmc like five minutes ago, and it was bad--no camera control, confusing level layout, no tutorial, janky movment. I'd bet ninja gaiden black also is bad in similar ways.

Should the hd version of dmc1 never have been released? Is it a good thing NGblack is not available any more?

nope, still pretty much perfect, aside from some occasional camera issues and some level design/spawn design qualms.

I'd rather believe Liam and Unseen64 in this case. Perhaps he's referring to the game's quality. Reviews will tell us more next week.

Reviews will give you opinions. Itagaki seems to be addressing lies and rumors.
We will see when Devil's Third releases in the U.S.

For all the work Unseen 64 (Or should I say Liam?) does, it sure doesn't help that he likes to be a petulant little shit and make his work seem like a complete joke.

Wow, Itagaki-san didn't deserve this.

Hope everything goes well for you folks in the U.S. and you will be able to grab a copy of the game.

I'm in the EU and will definitely pick up this bad boy on day 1, get some beer and chips and play it with a good friend.

But what is a bad game?

this is incredible

Cleve

I think Nintendo needs to publish the game, just because Wii U needs some games. Good or bad, who cares, some people will buy it, some will like it, and some others won't. Whatever happens, the Wii U needs some games.

You're advocating releasing bad games that will reduce nintendo's image as a publisher with any consumer unfortunate enough to buy it just to fill shelf space?

the gymnastics in this thread are impressive.

Itigaki didn't deserve this? Pretty sure nothing is even confirmed about it not getting a release, but if he spear-headed the development of a bad game, what does he deserve?

Gnilres

You're advocating releasing bad games that will reduce nintendo's image as a publisher with any consumer unfortunate enough to buy it just to fill shelf space?

Itigaki didn't deserve this? Pretty sure nothing is even confirmed about it not getting a release, but if he spear-headed the development of a bad game, what does he deserve?

Nintendo's image is also tainted by not having any damn games

bon

The idea that releasing Devil's Third would damage Nintendo's reputation is a laughably ridiculous excuse. Whether it's allegedly good or not, there are many people who'd like to try it for themselves. Not releasing it is causing more damage to their image than releasing it would.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ninja Gaiden Black is one of the best games of the 21st century.

Ninja Gaiden is also the only game franchise outside of DOA Itagaki ever had worth anything. He's only one guy and that was 10+ years ago.

My point is, just because his name is on a project doesnt deserve blind faith. Its the same mistake i made with Ken Levine

Gnilres

Ninja Gaiden is also the only game franchise outside of DOA Itagaki ever had worth anything. He's only one guy and that was 10+ years ago.

My point is, just because his name is on a project doesnt deserve blind faith. Its the same mistake i made with Ken Levine

I've never played another Itagaki game and I want Devil's Third a lot.

It looks fun to me. The graphics look fine and I just don't have anything else to look forward to on Wii U for a while

Eusis

Game looked atrocious from the start. Glad Nintendo is putting their foot down and refusing to publish it.
I'm not particularly fond of others dictating what I may or may not play, especially with the avenue of digital release these days. I mean it IS their business and they have the right to act there as they need or want much as I have the right to go elsewhere with my gaming money, but I don't want games blocked from release JUST because of PERCEIVED quality, beyond the basic "this will not nuke your system or be literally unbeatable in an unintentional manner" sort of QA.

With that said so long as Nintendo allows another to publish it this isn't really an issue I have here, that's more a problem old old Nintendo and old Sony had. This is more basic "company won't release thing I want" rather than "company Y is keeping company X from releasing thing I want for arbitrary reason!"

To use your same example (what is presumably Bioshock Infinite), plenty of people think Infinite has trash gameplay, terrible story, awful level and scenario design.

It's one of my favorite games. I'd hate if the people who thought those things were in charge of its release for a region, and thought it would be better off not released at all.

I realize that Infinite is a much higher quality production than Devil's Third, I'm simply speaking to the subjective nature of enjoyment

finalflame

I'm not particularly fond of others dictating what I may or may not play, especially with the avenue of digital release these days. I mean it IS their business and they have the right to act there as they need or want much as I have the right to go elsewhere with my gaming money, but I don't want games blocked from release JUST because of PERCEIVED quality, beyond the basic "this will not nuke your system or be literally unbeatable in an unintentional manner" sort of QA.

With that said so long as Nintendo allows another to publish it this isn't really an issue I have here, that's more a problem old old Nintendo and old Sony had. This is more basic "company won't release thing I want" rather than "company Y is keeping company C from releasing thing I want for arbitrary reason!"

Oh, I think the game has every right to exist on the platform. There's plenty of far, far trashier crap in the eShop than this could possibly ever be. All I'm saying is Nintendo's decision not to want to directly connect their name to the game by declining to publishing it is understandable given what has been shown of it, remembering Nintendo has a fairly high standard for attaching its name to anything.

Oh, I think the game has every right to exist on the platform. There's plenty of far, far trashier crap in the eShop than this could possibly ever be. All I'm saying is Nintendo's decision not to want to directly connect their name to the game by declining to publishing it is understandable given what has been shown of it, remembering Nintendo has a fairly high standard for attaching its name to anything.
The same high standard held by Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of Japan? Lol

jmizzal

The idea that Devil's fucking Third would have any impact at all on Nintendo's image either way is hilarious.

This
Every publish releases bad games here and there, this one game will do nothing to Nintendos image, not releasing just makes NOA look bad when its coming out every where else in the world

This
Every publish releases bad games here and there, this one game will do nothing to Nintendos image, not releasing just makes NOA look bad when its coming out every where else in the world

But when Dec rolls around and when NOA can't brag about sells they can brag about metacritics. Oh wait

Cleve

The idea that releasing Devil's Third would damage Nintendo's reputation is a laughably ridiculous excuse. Whether it's allegedly good or not, there are many people who'd like to try it for themselves. Not releasing it is causing more damage to their image than releasing it would.

That's like saying it was a good thing that gearbox pushed out aliens: colonial marines, konami the silent hills hd collection, or deep silver releasing ride to hell: retribution.

Bad products reflect poorly on publishers and developers.

For once a publisher is making a responsible decision about what looks like an awful game and people are still begging to be smeared with Itigaki's feces. I'm sure you'll still get your chance to play the game, it's just going to have a different logo on the box in the US.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's like saying it was a good thing that gearbox pushed out aliens: colonial marines, konami the silent hills hd collection, or deep silver releasing ride to hell: retribution.

Bad products reflect poorly on publishers and developers.

For once a publisher is making a responsible decision about what looks like an awful game and people are still begging to be smeared with Itigaki's feces. I'm sure you'll still get your chance to play the game, it's just going to have a different logo on the box in the US.

The comparison would be valid only if NoA would market this game as something that it isn't. Which is not the case. Firstly because NoA wouldn't market it at all and secondly because all the footage they shown was from within the game and showed the game as it is.

I must say, currently there's too many jumps to conclusions based on "I heard someone who said that someone else told him that..." in regards to both the game quality and the way of release in NoA.

First of all, I am pretty sure in one way or another this game will release in the US. I am also pretty sure that if NoA dropped it, it wasn't the quality of game (look at Nintendos track record. As much of a fan as I am, they released subpar titles before and will do so again as well). It was a decision based on potential marketing costs vs. potential sales. They probably decided it is not worth their marketing time since Devil's Third would be too niche on a system with few potential buyers anyway and general negative internet buzz surrounding it.

Which brings me to the negative internet buzz. I like Unseen 64, but I also know that certain niche genres, especially if made on lower budgets and by Japanese devs, do not fly well with many reviewers. OK, so the Unseen 64 guy knows some reviewers who already played it? Yeah... It could be a bad game. It could be a neat rough diamond with lots of unpolished fun. It could be this generations God Hand.

Thing is, we do not know. We will know in 1 1/2 months.

I do not say anyone who does not like the look of the game or has a negative impression on it should buy it anyway or not voice their negative impressions. I am from Europe, so the release situation is no problem for me. I'm buying this game, preordered it already a few weeks back. Because I think it looks fun regarding gameplay, I actually like the grind house-look of the game and I'm looking forward to how it plays. Maybe those who want to play it, myself included, are wrong and the game really isn't fun or has anything good to it. Regardless, everyone who wants to buy it should have a possibility to do so. So many people telling others what to think in this thread about the game or repeating stupid memes about the game (like that "Devil's Turd'. I actually cringe whenever I read someone using that).

Couldn't we just wait to discuss the quality of the game (edit: or rather, could we stop to state impressions about the quality based on trailers as facts. What can be stated as fact is that marketing and presentation of gameplay/trailers have been lacking so far apart from last years treehouse..) when it is out or when we at least got some more complex impressions than "oh the graphics aren't great and the style looks stupid (aka opinions). rest of the game must suck as well"?

HeeHo

It could be this generations God Hand.

I wanted to post this amidst the frenzy of negativity This is currently my feeling as well; where some major media outlet is going to be quick to trash it, the actual public will play it and say its pretty fun despite it's visual polish.

From what we've seen, I don't think it looks like a terrible game at all, at least from a game play perspective. While I don't even think it looks that bad graphically, I can see how some may think the budget for it was really small.

I just find it odd that people are happy that Nintendo are skipping on this because they think "it looked like trash". If anything I think it looks utterly ridiculous in a good way.

Ninja Dom

I have blind faith in Itagaki.

deim0s

iAz5clI.png

Top Bottom