• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] - Borderlands 3 PS5 vs Xbox Series X: 4K60 and 120fps Modes Tested - Plus Series S Comparisons!

thelastword

Banned
You are right contrary to AC, Dirt and COD comparisons they didn't hesitate a declare a winner this time based on specific scenes in 120 FPS mode. I would expect this very interesting situation to continue in the future especially with Tom.
You also realize that the faceoffs they give priority is always one where the XBOX has some advantage, at least in their eyes........They rushed to push DMC 5 Remastered as their first faceoff, because they noted some modes which had advantages on XBOX, whilst being Sloth-Eyed on the better AA, slightly better lighting and textures there, their eagle eyes only work when XBOX has an advantage somewhere. They complained about 120Hz being selected for all modes on PS5, not as a bug or issue, but moreso as some problem with the PS5 version or in general and went about to knock the PS5 version saying "At least we could choose our framerate in the OS menu".....Yet I remembered you could have chosen 1080p on PRO to make games run faster and DF had a big problem going into the PS4 menu to do so, to show that advantage when doing an analysis....Cue Thomas Morgan in this faceoff, who still mentions it, they want selectable toggles in-game only, like Borderlands..

Pretty much any issue they will raise to be a huge one on PS and claim a better solution on XBOX.....For example VRR is now a win for every 120Hz mode, no matter if they are performing equally on both platforms with better quality settings on PS5, that's a win for XBOX due to VRR. Or PS5 could have a 60fps gulf over XBOX in a 120Hz mode, or a much higher gulf in COD and Dirt....it feels better to play on XBOX because of VRR, even if PS5 just drops a few frames left of 120, whilst XBOX drops wallops more with tearing, it plays better on XBOX because of VRR......

They have been so slow on the faceoff bandwagon.....I have no doubt they have been slow because of the volume of work......They have been going through all the games and selecting which ones has some XBOX advantage to prioritize publishing first and to select their wording to boost an XBOX advantage that's either trivial, not like for like or where they don't even show average framerates and stats but guesstimations......Now, if XBOX had the better effects, better resolutions etc....These faceoffs would read entirely different.....That's for sure, the importance of higher fidelity would be the most important thing....

assurdum

Banned
That's very strange, when I watched the video I could have sworn they said that the Series X has a performance advantage at 120 FPS. It's almost like you went through and cherry picked screenshots that support your argument. You don't have to believe me, I'm not going to tirelessly comb through the video to find screenshots that support my fanboyish agenda. Here are some quotes right from the horses mouth with timetamps:

"Series X also has a performance advantage at 120fps to begin with, which helps the endeavor."

Series X has better performance and PS5 and doesn't suffer from Vsync related stuttering when there are FPS drops:
“Being fully Vsynced, you’ll see some stuttering kick in for battling, for road combat. This is where Xbox Series X has the crucial advantage. This is because on PS5 a Vsync’d framerate drop causes an 8.3ms hit on the frame time graph, but on Series X their is support for variable refresh rate or VRR. On a supporting TV it will do wonders for adjusting variable framtetimes in Borderlands 3. It makes that 90-100 fps range with all the variances in frame time smoother. It’s also something that Ps5 does not offer at a system level right now.”

Man if someone in DF already calls crucial and performance advantage the ridiculousness difference seen in this video, can't imagine the shitshow will become their analysis if series X would start to show any sort of advantages performance over the ps5. Personally what I see in the video is a tie, if it means something, I don't see anyone overtake the other in performance. DF should care less to find a win and just talk of what they see, it's not that tough. Probably less fanboy would care about their stuff if they really would start to talk solely about tech and less of the "winner".

Last edited:

Three

the funny thing is that it is proof that the xbox one s is holding back the xbox one x and now the xbox series x. devs are using the same xbox one s settings despite the fact that the x1x and xsx have a far better GPU.

In the future, we will see the series s hold back the x.
But all the xbox fans are adamant that games are made on th XSX and scaled down just like PC!

Moomalade74

Banned
DF forgot to mention that the PS5 version has very convincing support for DualSense features.

Just wanted to reply to this, and can't find a more relevant thread. The dualsense implementation in this game for the shooting is very poor. Nowhere near the standard of COD or even Warframe for that matter. There's no kick on the haptics to describe recoil, just a constant buzzing as you keep the trigger pressed. The only trigger feedback is resistance for the initial click, but again no actual recoil as bullets are fired.

Overall it's a weird and slightly irritating feedback, just having the controller buzzing away in your hand as you shoot.

Buyer beware if you're looking for a new game to get fun use out of your dualsense. Gutted I spent £60 buying it digitally. Hopefully it will get a patch to improve this issue.

Just in case people think I have a malfunctioning controller, I went back and forth between this, COD and Warframe and the difference is clear.

Last edited:
Man if someone in DF already calls crucial and performance advantage the ridiculousness difference seen in this video, can't imagine the shitshow will become their analysis if series X would start to show any sort of advantages performance over the ps5. Personally what I see in the video is a tie, if it means something, I don't see anyone overtake the other in performance. DF should care less to find a win and just talk of what they see, it's not that tough. Probably less fanboy would care about their stuff if they really would start to talk solely about tech and less of the "winner".

5-10FPS is an advantage. You need to take the fanboy googles off.

Top Bottom