• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF Clips] DriveClub: PS5 at 60FPS vs PS4 vs PS4 Pro Unlocked!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Very interesting. So its actually CPU-bound on PS4(Pro) and not GPU-bound. This means a 60fps-patch for PS4 Pro was never realistic.
yeah, same is true for both bloodborne and uncharted 4 ports that were unlocked last gen. just wouldnt go above 40 fps because of the shitty jaguar cores bottlenecking the gpu.

but kzsf, gow, the last guardian and other unlocked games ran at 60 fps on ps5 on day one. without any dev input. simply because they were unlocked. all sony has to do is release a small patch unlocking framerates on driveclub and bloodborne and the ps5 cpu should handle it no problem.

John Wick

These days it’s unfortunately normal to churn out broken shit to the level that publishers don’t care anymore, which is the worst situation possible for us gamers.

At the time of DC release, games were still supposed to be pretty good immediately on release and even though I love the game to my bones, it wasn’t very good at release. I can see why they did what they did with closing the studio down and they actually should do this nowadays still, too much crap comes out now and if you pay for a game to play it day one you have to suffer for months or years until patches are released that make the game bearable.
They could have easily kept the studio open. Their talent could have been added to the PD team as an European studio. It's not like Sony were in desperate need to get rid of them. It was too hasty and ill thought out considering Sony now need studios and talent. Just imagine what a DC3 on PS5 would look like?

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I like playing this game pretty much, as I'm a super fan of arcade racing. Project Cars 3 left a very sour disgusting taste in my mouth. I would honestly support this game if it ever have support for PS5, as I dislike pretty much GT nowadays.

Though I'm not sure it's ok for DF keep promoting these hacked console stuff for the sake of attention. Gonna say I want to see how long this gonna last until backfire at them.

drotahorror

Yes. But Driveclub was a special kind of broken. It was the kind of broken that gave Sony a huge black eye because they couldn't deliver on the very much hyped PlayStation Plus edition that they were advertising to sell subscriptions. The game was already in the bargain bin before they delivered on their promises. At least they gave a ton of DLC away for free to try to make up for it, but the fact that they had to do it killed any confidence in that team.

Driveclub's online aspects were broken at launch, which I know was a big aspect. Besides that it was fine. You could still get trophies, you could still post lap times, you could still easily complete the single player part of the game.

Even without rain, DC was amazing looking due to the insane lighting. Still looks absolutely amazing.

Raonak

Banned
Drive club was cool, but they completely botched the release with insane server issues which completely crippled an online service based game.
The weird middle ground of kinda arcadey kinda sim-ish didn't help either.

In any case, I'd much rather they had worked on a next-gen motorstorm...
RIP evolution, you will be missed :(

Last edited:

freefornow

Gold Member
Well. I'm going to be an outlier.
Game looked stunning with the right environment/weather. No doubt.
Gameplay was just very very average with some of the worst rubber banding i have seen. Maybe that was the appeal for some?

ReBurn

Gold Member
Driveclub's online aspects were broken at launch, which I know was a big aspect. Besides that it was fine. You could still get trophies, you could still post lap times, you could still easily complete the single player part of the game.

Even without rain, DC was amazing looking due to the insane lighting. Still looks absolutely amazing.
You're right that single player stuff wasn't as impacted, but for this game that didn't matter. The "club" aspect of the game is what it was primarily focused on. It was built around the online and social features of the PS4 and when those didn't work the game was lacking.

I agree that it's one of the most beautiful racing games out there. The rain and lighting effects are amazing, especially for the hardware it was built for. It was easy to see that Evolution spent their time on visuals instead of online connectivity.

ShakenG

Gameplay was just very very average with some of the worst rubber banding i have seen. Maybe that was the appeal for some?
Think i have about 900hrs in Driveclub.
I dont recall it having rubberbanding at all. One of the very reasons i liked it so much. You could gap the ai even on hardest difficulty.

Edit, thinking back, can't remember if there was a difficulty option or im thinking of driving assists. Been a long time since i fired it up.

Last edited:

Thief1987

What rubberbanding? There wasn't any. Motorstorm was pretty notorious with it. Driveclub? Absolutely not. Maybe you just bad at the game?

Last edited:

drotahorror

Maybe the appeal was average gameplay and rubber banding? wut?

The handling was great imo, and the racing was some of the most tense I've ever experienced. I like how there was no difficulty settings, the game was as hard or easy as the devs wanted it to be. Not like Forza where you can make the AI retarded or perfect. No rewinds to save you from your own mistakes either. You actually had to be decent at racing. Maybe that was the opposite of what you expected? And what rubber banding? Honestly, rubber banding is one of the lamest excuses in racing games for people not playing well.

Yes. But Driveclub was a special kind of broken. It was the kind of broken that gave Sony a huge black eye because they couldn't deliver on the very much hyped PlayStation Plus edition that they were advertising to sell subscriptions. The game was already in the bargain bin before they delivered on their promises. At least they gave a ton of DLC away for free to try to make up for it, but the fact that they had to do it killed any confidence in that team.

To address your earlier point, arcade racers really don't sell that well any more regardless. That's why we don't get that many compared to the PS360 days.
This make no sense. The black eye was something Sony gave itself by initially promise the complete game to be on Ps+ day one to later transform that promise in the release of what was little more than a demo over 6 months after the game was published
Driveclub got DELISTED from the store. You cant buy it.
A lot of shit had to be going behind the scenes.

A prediction of a game not doing well matters when you pitch the idea, not when you already have the product ready to sell.
The game got delisted in the same way that most racing game with real cars in them do : the licences for the cars apparences cover only a determined period of time, after it passed, the game cannot be sold anymore, so it is delisted

supernova8

Banned
I love how this 9 year old game still looks better than most racing games today. Why has no other racer come close to the rain effects? Apart from a mod for assetto Corsa. GT7s and Forzas windshield rain effects look like shit in comparison. I just find it bizzare
Even more amazing to me is how detailed the environments are and how difficult it is to spot any LOD pop-in (or pop-in at all).

I remember pointing out all the horrible pop in with the initial GT7 reveal. Still has pretty bad pop-in IMO, especially considering it's meant to be next-gen.

sachos

What i like about Driveclub is that it feels more like old school NFS games. Closed track racing around the world with great graphics and exotic locales. We need more arcade racers like that, i think the focus on open world is limiting in that sense. Also bring split-screen racing back come on.

TrebleShot

i remember the old good DC Photos Topic. it was a graphicgasm at every single posted picture
I was there, remember the GIFS the reflections on the windscreen of the dash, the rain in cockpit view.
Those were the days.
When is there a PS4 emulator for PC coming so we can relive the dream in 4k60.

Sony will never remaster the cowards.

Lol, we lost Evolution cause someone thought Arcade racers weren't gonna do well. Fuck em.
First off, starting a sentence with lol instantly results in people not taking you seriously.
Second: Spouting nonsense won't help the latter

The game was blasted for multiple things. No rain on launch (which was HEAVILY advertised as one of the key features) and atrocious controls, lack of content were the 3 pillars for this game failing.
It has fuckall to do with what people at Evo or Sony thought.

The game just didn't feel right and faster cars were literally uncontrollable up to the point that the game was unplayable.

Last edited:

Fahdis

First off, starting a sentence with lol instantly results in people not taking you seriously.
Second: Spouting nonsense won't help the latter

The game was blasted for multiple things. No rain on launch (which was HEAVILY advertised as one of the key features) and atrocious controls, lack of content were the 3 pillars for this game failing.

The game just didn't feel right and faster cars were literally uncontrollable up to the point that the game was unplayable.

Great synopsis on your inherent bias seeing as my post has the most reacts and likes on the thread. The "game" if any of you haters ended up playing it probably didn't realize it was basically a hybrid GaaS Arcade game with incremental upgrades including rain that has not been topped for 9 years now. You don't have to take me seriously, but the fans of this game definitely do and look at blanket statement like yours with the "launch" as some pre-determined measure of success. Alot of games redeem themselves slowly these days aka Cyberpunk and No Man's Sky. We need a better excuse, which is most of you folks found the game too hard, or just dropped it or didn't buy it.

Perrott

Gold Member
This make no sense. The black eye was something Sony gave itself by initially promise the complete game to be on Ps+ day one to later transform that promise in the release of what was little more than a demo over 6 months after the game was published
Honestly, they should've put the full game on PS Plus at that point.

The move would have exposed millions of players to the intended and fully functional DriveClub experience, helping clean the name of the IP after the broken launch, and may have still left the window open for profit to be made due to the Season Pass being up for sale, with the Bikes expansion around the corner and the possibility of doing a second Season Pass in the future, as there would have been an audience for that.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Evo were on a long string of flops sadly. Motorstorm 2 underperformed, Motorstorm 3 tried to pivot but suffered due to the Tsunami disaster in Japan making it appear tasteless and flopped. Driveclub also failed to catch on for a variety of reasons.

To be honest it was always a weird bit of mismanagement having Studio Liverpool and Evo in Warrington (basically <20 miles apart) both focussing on driving games... but then Studio Liverpool was always the red-headed stepchild of Sony's UK operation due to it being an unproductive money-pit for development.

I would rather they unlocked 60 fps in The Last Guardian and Bloodborne

Yes, I'm aware that if you put the disc version of TLG in the PS5 and don't let it update, version 1.0 runs at 60 fps. However version 1.0 also contains a bug that makes it impossible to get past a certain part of the game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
yeah, same is true for both bloodborne and uncharted 4 ports that were unlocked last gen. just wouldnt go above 40 fps because of the shitty jaguar cores bottlenecking the gpu.

but kzsf, gow, the last guardian and other unlocked games ran at 60 fps on ps5 on day one. without any dev input. simply because they were unlocked. all sony has to do is release a small patch unlocking framerates on driveclub and bloodborne and the ps5 cpu should handle it no problem.

It's insane to me that PS execs get to walk to Earth without being forced to answer for this. So glad Jim Ryan is getting pushed out.

Vick

Why the fuck would you lie like this?

Ten years later DC is still unmatched in this regard, if anything. Every car handles noticeably different and the sense of satisfaction in learning and ultimately taming "uncontrollable" beasts like the Koenigsegg is something else for real.

What a goddamn masterpiece, I'll NEVER forgive Sony for shutting down Evolution.

buenoblue

Re downloaded driveclub last night to try the game motion plus frame interpolation on my Samsung OLED. 3 hours later still playing.the game motion plus smooths the 30fps out just enough. Game is legit the best racing game ever. I love getting all the stars. I'm doing all the dlc as I never played it.

what I would'nt do to get all that dlc back somehow
I'm so glad to own a physical copy and all DLC + BIKES expansion. The game is a gem just like Blur from the old Bizarre Creations studios.

Sony messed up big time not keeping a good arcade racing studio in their portfolio. Evolution did fumble with MotorStorm Apocalypse (due to the Tsunami in 2011 and a huge departure from the off-road DNA the series was known for), and DRIVECLUB was a mess at launch (servers were broken, the CLUBS feature didn't work, car list was small and lacked some iconic cars, weather effects should have been a release feature with all their dynamic weather and time of the day features so people disappointed, Sony over promised with the DRIVECLUB ➕ Edition calling it Free to all PS Plus members when it was a stripped down version of the game).

I loved Evolution but they were the closest to the chopping block considering their track record and Sony already had a "racing" studio under their brand with Polyphony Digital. Even if at the end of the day both studios strived to achieve different things in the same genre. I'm still speechless how Polyphony never assimilated any of the tech developed by Evolution with DRIVECLUB, especially their audio design recording methods and tech.

BbMajor7th

Driveclub is such an anomaly: the fact that racing games still don't look that good even after a decade and a hardware generation is bewildering. I remember at the time, a lot of the advantage was put down to it being a 30 FPS game up against Forza and GT Sport at 60. Pretty clear that a native port on PS5 could easily be running at 1440p/60 with most settings dialed up and it'd be leading the pack on visuals.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Driveclub is such an anomaly: the fact that racing games still don't look that good even after a decade and a hardware generation is bewildering. I remember at the time, a lot of the advantage was put down to it being a 30 FPS game up against Forza and GT Sport at 60. Pretty clear that a native port on PS5 could easily be running at 1440p/60 with most settings dialed up and it'd be leading the pack on visuals.
I've bought it last month and was shocked that the graphics and camera are not overrated. I had to collect my jaw from the floor lol

Senua

1. Everything is baked

2. It has astonishing art

Perrott

Gold Member
To be honest it was always a weird bit of mismanagement having Studio Liverpool and Evo in Warrington (basically <20 miles apart) both focussing on driving games... but then Studio Liverpool was always the red-headed stepchild of Sony's UK operation due to it being an unproductive money-pit for development.
Yeah, they should have merged the two teams since the extra manpower would have guaranteed a PS4 launch window release for DriveClub in a complete form, on top of having new Wipeout and MotorStorm games in pre-production for a release later into the generation in, say, 2016 and 2018, with a DriveClub sequel being prepped as a PS5 cross-gen launch title in 2020.

At least Firesprite is kind of a Evolution/Liverpool revival, with some aditional Bizarre Creations blood thrown into the mix, currently working on the new Twisted Metal under the direction of DriveClub's original creative director. Hopefully they can do another DriveClub or MotorStorm if TM doesn't kill them.

Kindjal

...Every car handles noticeably different and the sense of satisfaction in learning and ultimately taming "uncontrollable" beasts like the Koenigsegg is something else for real.

What a goddamn masterpiece, I'll NEVER forgive Sony for shutting down Evolution.
Absolutely true, there's nothing like finally achieving to get 3 stars in Venom Hot Lap with the Hennessey Venom, and then doing it once more in the Venom Wet Lap.
I've never been this invested in a racing game before. I'm still carving my way through the game to get my Platinum Trophy (I got the online trophies back when the servers were still online, and just missing 1 last trophy).

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Kick myself weekly for missing out on this.

I suppose I could still grab a disc and run it on the 5, but I miss out on the one thing I really wanted to check out and that was the bikes.

Still has arguably the coolest, most realistic rain effects Ive ever seen.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Its one of my fave racing games. I have it installed on my PS5. The game looks absolutely great under the right circumstances. And the fine sense of speed, tough AI is all there. Its a thrilling game. The DLC batch is great too, I bought the Season Pass once for a heavy discount. I still didn't complete all of them.

The game could look average though, like daytime India stages.

I'd say this is the best racing game since PGR4 if you're into that. It has the same kind of hook where you want to complete all stars per race so just winning doesn't cut it.

Driveclub to me was better than Gran Turismo. Its unfortunate how it all turned out, the game did get a VR version and was probably on the verge of Pro support as well. Imagine a 4k/60 enhancement of this game.

Top Bottom