• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct: Xbox Series X First Party Games To Run On Xbox One - Is this a good thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBiddy

Devs saying Lockhart will hold the next-generation games development is exactly the same subject of the OP.
Just change Lockhart with Xbox One.

Or do you believe Lockhardt can hold the development of next-generation games but Xbox One not? :messenger_face_screaming:

I was just agreeing with you giving more proof because he already tried to fight me saying it is iddentical lol

No, there's a gigantic difference between the two, and I'm sure you know that. I've even typed it in the post you quoted.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Devs saying Lockhart will hold the next-generation games development is exactly the same subject of the OP.
Just change Lockhart with Xbox One.

Or do you believe Lockhardt can hold the development of next-generation games but Xbox One not? :messenger_face_screaming:

I was just agreeing with you giving more proof because he already tried to fight me saying it is iddentical lol
Oh ok, sorry.

JLB

Banned
They're not unknown. 12tflops more or less confirmed.

So you're saying 1.3tflops to 12tflops is a smaller gap than 1.3tflops to 1tflop

tenor.gif

more or less is not confirmed.

ClearMind

Report me for console warring (Xbot, Xbro etc.)
Once Sony's world class studios show what next gen exclusives look and play like in the first and 2nd year, the position of all the Xbox defenders will change. It's easy to say nothing's gimped when we havent seen Horizon 2 or SSM's title.

It's preposterous to claim the Xbox titles won't be gimped compared to exclusives on PS5. To argue it won't matter is a different thing entirely, but they'll be compromised for sure.
One year from now, the same people defending microsft and cross gen games will complain that its unfair to compare PS5 exclusives to XSX games.

Dlacy13g

Once Sony's world class studios show what next gen exclusives look and play like in the first and 2nd year, the position of all the Xbox defenders will change. It's easy to say nothing's gimped when we havent seen Horizon 2 or SSM's title.

It's preposterous to claim the Xbox titles won't be gimped compared to exclusives on PS5. To argue it won't matter is a different thing entirely, but they'll be compromised for sure.

So... what if Last of Us 2 looks better than anything Sony puts out for launch?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I do hope lockheart is cancelled. I just don’t see a need for it. Waste of time and money, and I haven’t spoken to or seen a single person who was even remotely interested in the idea...

Be price equal with the PS5 with better specs, and drop the one x to dirt cheap, and you will sell shit loads. Maybe not PS5 level but still...

Last edited:
Listen JLB the show, I'm sorry, I genuinely think you didn't realise how small of a gap exists between the OG XB1 and the Switch computationally or flops-wise. I think this thread has been eye-opening to you my friend, as you realise now how huge the chasm is between an almost 8-yr old piece of hardware with netbook CPU and MS' next gen console.

You see that's why this news of mandating cross gen is so shocking. 1.3tflops to 12tflops is a ludicrous differential in power and asking devs to scale between the two is absurd really, and that's not even talking about how this impedes next gen features, this is only talking about flops.

DaMonsta

Yeap the cancelled part is speculation even today... nobody knows if it is canceled or not.

The talk between DF and devs about they being mad about the ideia is accurate.
He clearly says he confirmed with devs.
Lockhart ever existing in any form is speculation based on a rumor.

Therefore DF convo with the devs was based off rumors and speculation. It wasn’t a case that devs had dev kits an reported to DF they had a problem with them. This was DF approaching devs with a rumor and getting a reaction. Big difference.

Last edited:

NAI1210

It's OK to have games cross gen because they have been in development that long and been getting hyped, such as twilight Princess getting released on game cube and again for breath of the wild on wii u /switch, so I'm cool with halo infinite, ghosts of tushima being cross gen, but actually making a strategy to keep supporting the previous gen, will hold back the games, if series x games are fully optimized versions will we have to download huge texture packs as no point on putting them on disc if xbox one users can't use them?

Mithos

Is this true? I thought I had read that its was just under 1 TF when docked. A google search seems to bring back results for both measurements.

Yes.

Tegra X1 @ 1ghz is 512Gflops (fp32) and 1Tflops (fp16).

Switch is using Tegra X1 and with Eurogamers Mhz numbers for the GPU, 786Mhz docked, och 307.2Mhz portable, gives us about ~393Gflops (fp32) docked, and ~157Gflops portable (fp32)

How you calculate these numbers;

2 x Shader Count x Frequency / 1000;
Becomes: 2 x 256 CUDA cores x 768Mhz or 307.2Mhz / 1000

Docked (768.0Mhz): 393Gflops (fp32), 786Gflops (fp16)
Portable (307.2Mhz): 157Gflops (fp32), 314Gflops (fp16)

I've not added all the different boost modes and extra modes in between added since release.

fp16 is not useful.
PS4 Pro is 4.2Tflops (fp32) and 8.4Tflops (fp16)

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Listen JLB the show, I'm sorry, I genuinely think you didn't realise how small of a gap exists between the OG XB1 and the Switch computationally or flops-wise. I think this thread has been eye-opening to you my friend, as you realise now how huge the chasm is between an almost 8-yr old piece of hardware with netbook CPU and MS' next gen console.

You see that's why this news of mandating cross gen is so shocking. 1.3tflops to 12tflops is a ludicrous differential in power and asking devs to scale between the two is absurd really, and that's not even talking about how this impedes next gen features, this is only talking about flops.

A 2005 Xbox 360 ran, and incredibly well a very 2014, Xbox One game, Forza Horizon 2. Talking about scaling up and down, see.
Even in an early 2000s hardware, with a different architecture (PowerPC) there was no major issues to scale the game.
Anyways, as I mentioned many times, Im not a game developer. So unless you are a AAA game dev that was faced with such scalability challenges, I wont really give a shit regarding your conclusions. No drama, anyway.

Last edited:

Banned
It's OK to have games cross gen because they have been in development that long and been getting hyped, such as twilight Princess getting released on game cube and again for breath of the wild on wii u /switch, so I'm cool with halo infinite, ghosts of tushima being cross gen, but actually making a strategy to keep supporting the previous gen, will hold back the games, if series x games are fully optimized versions will we have to download huge texture packs as no point on putting them on disc if xbox one users can't use them?

well we don't even know how discs are gonna work for this. both next gen systems will use UHD Blurays and the Xbox One only supports normal Blurays, this means that disc games will most likely not work across generations (well Xbox One discs will work on Series X due to backwards compatibility)
so my bet is that if you insert an Xbox One disc of a game that is cross gen into a Series X, the system will download the game from the store instead of installing from disc and the disc will only be an activation key. basically how backwards compatibility works on Xbox one.
maybe it will even offer an option to play the normal Xbox One version through back compat (if you don't want to download at that time)

and for the other way around, I think that either no Xbox One model will actually support Series X Discs, or only the One S and One X will, but will still just download the designated Xbox One version from the store instead of installing from disc.
it could also be that they will come with 2 discs, a Series X disc and an Xbox One disc, that's how many UHD Movies do it and it is what 3D Blurays often did (Have a 2D version and a 3D version)

So I don't think these games will literally be the same, as in like a PC version that just turns graphics settings down.
they will most likely work just like any cross gen title, they will be separately optimized versions. Cross Gen multiplayer titles will work like cross platform MP woks nowadays where Mobile, Switch and Xbox One X can play together in Fortnite, even tho the technical makeup of these versions are very different, especially the mobile version which has exclusive super low quality models for many ingame objects.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yes.

Tegra X1 @ 1ghz is 512Gflops (fp32) and 1Tflops (fp16).

Switch is using Tegra X1 and with Eurogamers Mhz numbers for the GPU, 786Mhz docked, och 307.2Mhz portable, gives us about ~393Gflops (fp32) docked, and ~157Gflops portable (fp32)

How you calculate these numbers;

2 x Shader Count x Frequency / 1000;
Vecomes: 2 x 256 CUDA cores x 768Mhz or 307.2Mhz / 1000

Docked (768.0Mhz): 393Gflops (fp32), 786Gflops (fp16)
Portable (307.2Mhz): 157Gflops (fp32), 314Gflops (fp16)

I've not added all the different boost modes and extra modes in between added since release.

fp16 is not useful.
PS4 Pro is 4.2Tflops (fp32) and 8.4Tflops (fp16)
Interesting. Shows what I know. Makes some of the stuff they pull off even more impressive.

ethomaz

Banned
Is this true? I thought I had read that its was just under 1 TF when docked. A google search seems to bring back results for both measurements.
Switch is 1~ tflops docked I believe. These are Nvidia flops though.
If they did not overclocked it via firmware then...

Docked: 768MHz = 393.2 GFLOPS

Tegra X1 max clock 1Ghz give you 512GFLOPs.

nVidia architecture is more efficient in the use of the flops so it will delivery better performance than GCN 400GFLOPs... perhaps even more performance than GCN 600GFLOPs that is around half of XB1 flops but that is all.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I'm wondering whether MS will continue to make their games playable on Xbox One, even beyond the 1 or 2 years they've announced. We know they put high priority on "play anywhere;" they've emphasized that Xbox is a "family" of devices and downplayed the relevance of console generations. I have no way of knowing, of course, but I wonder if this policy will extend beyond the first 1 or 2 years.

Banned
I'm wondering whether MS will continue to make their games playable on Xbox One, even beyond the 1 or 2 years they've announced. We know they put high priority on "play anywhere;" they've emphasized that Xbox is a "family" of devices and downplayed the relevance of console generations. I have no way of knowing, of course, but I wonder if this policy will extend beyond the first 1 or 2 years.

My thoughts on this are that they most likely use this 2 year period to bring xCloud onto as many platforms as possible, and when the Xbox One will be stopped being supported via actual software, you will just play new Series X games on your Xbox One through xCloud.

JLB

Banned

Thats best scenario, Im pretty sure that the undocked mode is maybe what, 75% of that?
Honestly, AAA game devs are wizards. How they were able to scale down Witcher 3 to that is beyond my imagination.

Banned

nVidia architecture is more efficient in the use of the flops so it will delivery better performance than GCN 400GFLOPs... perhaps even more performance than GCN 600GFLOPs that is around half of XB1 flops but that is all.

that 1TF number is brought up by Nintendo fanboys because they argue that through FP16 support it's a 1TF machine... which is obviously ridiculous.

ethomaz

Banned
Thats best scenario, Im pretty sure that the undocked mode is maybe what, 75% of that?
Honestly, AAA game devs are wizards. How they were able to scale down Witcher 3 to that is beyond my imagination.
It is not that bad if you realize that Tegra efficiency with flops is better than AMD GCN.
So maybe Switch's GPU can delivery around half the power of XB1's GPU for example.

And there is FP16 that helps and speed up a lot of graphic tasks trading accuracy (but in a small screen how will look at that small triangle being a bit wrong)... it is not used in console and PC games but it is heavy used in mobile games.
Nintendo Switch devs probably use FP16 to get the best performance from the hardware.

Last edited:

GHG

They will transition it over to xcloud for the older platforms once it's ready. So they will still get access to new games on GamePass even if their hardware isn't capable of running it locally.

Last edited:

Banned
They will transition it over to xcloud for the older platforms once it's ready. So they will still get access to new games on GamePass even if their hardware isn't capable of running it locally.

I mean that will happen at launch already, that 2 year period is most likely there to grow the playerbase on xCloud and give people time to get used to it etc.

JLB

Banned
It is not that bad if you realize that Tegra efficiency with flops is better than AMD GCN.
So maybe Switch's GPU can delivery around half the power of XB1's GPU for example.

And there is FP16 that helps and speed up a lot of graphic tasks trading accuracy (but in a small screen how will look at that small triangle being a bit wrong)... it is not used in console and PC games but it is heavy used in mobile games.
Nintendo Switch devs probably use FP16 to get the best performance from the hardware.

Yeah, anyways I was thinking more in the gran scheme of things comparing a hardware that is actually wired to 110-240v vs a mobile device, with all its expected constraints due to power consumption, cooling, power efficiency, etc.
I can only talk based on my experience with my Xbox One and my Switch. Nothing on Switch gets remotely close to, let say, Forza Motorsport 6, which runs at fully stable 60fps and looks amazing. Let alone a game like Gears 5 on X1X.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah, anyways I was thinking more in the gran scheme of things comparing a hardware that is actually wired to 110-240v vs a mobile device, with all its expected constraints due to power consumption, cooling, power efficiency, etc.
I can only talk based on my experience with my Xbox One and my Switch. Nothing on Switch gets remotely close to, let say, Forza Motorsport 6, which runs at fully stable 60fps and looks amazing. Let alone a game like Gears 5 on X1X.
Yeap I don't think Switch can do that.
Devs already using sub 400p resolutions when non-docked to hold framerate in the ports.
Of course in small screens the difference between 400p and 720p looks to me minimal.

BTW Switch in Portable mode is really pretty low in performance.

Don't take that wrong Switch hardware is the best you could have on mobile when it launched... maybe even today it is still the best you can have.

Last edited:
Who would have thought, 10 years after the release of XB1, this weak red-headed stepchild of the console world would still be receiving Forza and Halo exclusives.

This is shocking on two levels:

1. A decade supporting the netbook CPU and face-palm 32-esram inside the XB1 deserves a medal.
2. MS still relying on Halo and Forza horizon games when the world has moved on and the trajectory of sales for the former looks like a ski slope.

PaNaMa

Banned
Some people seem to not be understanding the main point here. Everyone knows games can be built to scale with hardware when it comes to things like resolution, lighting, shadows, AA, AO, all all the other whizz bang options. That's not the point being presented.

Look at Destiny, Anthem (heh) , The Division, or many games today that have all these artificial barriers, arbitrary load points, maximum tile size per zone or area, etc.. Designers after dreaming up their game have to build in these annoying immersion breaking gimmicks or just design their game to conform to whatever restrictions the hardware limits them to.

So lets say Bungie makes Destiny 3 in a whole new engine, a whole new way because PS5 and Series X and PC dont require these handcuffs to the old ways of level design. But by Microsoft insisting all games on their ecosystem must scale up and down existing Xbox SKUs they are limiting their developers from taking off those last gen handcuffs. You still have to design your game in a way XBox One can participate.

So yeah sure, your series X version will have 4k textures, god Ray's, high framerates, super high AA, better reflections shadows and a ray traced kitchen sink, but the game will still be just souped up incarnation of a game conceived and designed to play within the limitations of what a 2013 Xbox One can manage. Imaginations/creativity will still be limited by and subject to what the OG Xbox One can be programmed to draw or whatever. It's not the end of the world, but it is somewhat a limiting factor for Xbox creators out of the gates that Sony's developers wont have to consider.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
2n9iCsF.jpg

eAEKT4K.jpg

If they couldve made Senua look that good on xbox one, they wouldve done that already. there is a reason why she looks so good on series x.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Dial it back on the personal attacks over inanimate objects.
Coulomb_Barrier Coulomb_Barrier man, you really have a hate boner for Xbox. Did Phil Spencer come into your house on Christmas morning and piss on your kids or something? Chill man.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
On the other hand, why would they pick out Lockhart to complain about gimping their game if they are gimping it already for the Xb1?

45m +/- pool of potential customers versus two new boxes without that install base out of the gate, maybe?

Cross gen is going to happen, it's an easier pill to swallow when you have a large pool to sell to in comparison to starting from 0 with the same stressful development scenario.

demigod

Xbox fans pretending old gen won't hold back new gen. It's ok to like your console of choice, but lets not lie and pretend otherwise because history is not on your side. Let me remind you folks.

DaMonsta

Xbox fans pretending old gen won't hold back new gen. It's ok to like your console of choice, but lets not lie and pretend otherwise because history is not on your side. Let me remind you folks.

History shows, cross gen games being the norm, and new hardware not being fully realized till years after the hardware is released:

History tells us that Battlefield 4, a cross gen launch game, was way more advanced than any “Console exclusive” launch, or launch window game.

What history are you referring to where a cross gen game was held back by the older hardware? Those threads you posted are just random forum posters speculating, not proof of anything.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Some people seem to not be understanding the main point here. Everyone knows games can be built to scale with hardware when it comes to things like resolution, lighting, shadows, AA, AO, all all the other whizz bang options. That's not the point being presented.

Look at Destiny, Anthem (heh) , The Division, or many games today that have all these artificial barriers, arbitrary load points, maximum tile size per zone or area, etc.. Designers after dreaming up their game have to build in these annoying immersion breaking gimmicks or just design their game to conform to whatever restrictions the hardware limits them to.

So lets say Bungie makes Destiny 3 in a whole new engine, a whole new way because PS5 and Series X and PC dont require these handcuffs to the old ways of level design. But by Microsoft insisting all games on their ecosystem must scale up and down existing Xbox SKUs they are limiting their developers from taking off those last gen handcuffs. You still have to design your game in a way XBox One can participate.

So yeah sure, your series X version will have 4k textures, god Ray's, high framerates, super high AA, better reflections shadows and a ray traced kitchen sink, but the game will still be just souped up incarnation of a game conceived and designed to play within the limitations of what a 2013 Xbox One can manage. Imaginations/creativity will still be limited by and subject to what the OG Xbox One can be programmed to draw or whatever. It's not the end of the world, but it is somewhat a limiting factor for Xbox creators out of the gates that Sony's developers wont have to consider.
Destiny is a good example.

Bungie had to get rip off from PS360 because they couldn't apply a lot of fixes in the game due the memory of PS360 being too low... that include a lot of inventory options.

They removed PS360 from the code and voila a lot of new PS4/XB1 features could be implemented via patch... like the example I give in the previous line the inventory finally could have more than 30 spots.

That is a clear example of how old hardware held/limited the development of the game.
Your project will already be limited is you need to make it run on Xbox One.

The same can be said about PC version... they can do a lot more with the PC version but it is limited but what you can do on PS4/XB1.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
History shows, cross gen games being the norm, and new hardware not being fully realized till years after the hardware is released:

History tells us that Battlefield 4, a cross gen launch game, was way more advanced than any “Console exclusive” launch, or launch window game.

What history are you referring to where a cross gen game was held back by the older hardware? Those threads you posted are just random forum posters speculating, not proof of anything.
History tells us that Battlefield 4 was the most bugged launch a game ever had.
Nothing worked in that game to the point that I though DICE have become the new Bethesda of game code.

But maybe you forget that... it was a disaster at launch.
It is not exemple for anything.

Last edited:

DaMonsta

History tells us that Battlefield 4 was the most bugged launch a game ever had.
Nothing worked in that game to the point that I though DICE have become the new Bethesda of game code.

But maybe you forget that... it was a disaster at launch.
It is not exemple for anything.
Not exactly sure what you are getting at here.

I do know as a cross gen launch game, it was more ambitious and advanced than any console exclusive at the time.

No. Absolutely not a good thing for the XBSX games to be running on XB1. If you are going to do that, then why release a next-gen XBox that costs billions to bring to market, only not being able for developers to fully utilize it's new tech to the fullest to make their games!

Banned
No. Absolutely not a good thing for the XBSX games to be running on XB1. If you are going to do that, then why release a next-gen XBox that costs billions to bring to market, only not being able for developers to fully utilize it's new tech to the fullest to make their games!

they said for the next 2 years, which will be 1 year into the Series X's lifecycle... we are literally maybe talking about 3-5 games here... at best...
smaller games like Ori wouldn't be an issue anyways and big first party AAA games don't release in the dozens a year.

so in the end it literally won't matter since launch titles never fully use the new hardware in any meaningful way but to show more pixels and effects on screen.

Last edited:

Fake

I guess people keep forget the memory differencial between Xbox One S and Xbox One X. Thats why I posted the video in my previous posts. PS4, PRO and Xbox One X all use GDDR5, so only Xbox One S start to give devs a little of headache. seX will use GDDR6, so another obstacle for base Xbox.

they said for the next 2 years, which will be 1 year into the Series X's lifecycle... we are literally maybe talking about 3-5 games here... at best...
smaller games like Ori wouldn't be an issue anyways and big first party AAA games don't release in the dozens a year.

so in the end it literally won't matter since launch titles never fully use the new hardware in any meaningful way but to show more pixels and effects on screen.

If your business plan is to get as many developers to create content for your newly release system as possible for long-term viability and, therefore, achieve a massive early adoption rate, having a weaker SKU will not achieve this since the developers will not favor working on your two systems.

TBiddy

If your business plan is to get as many developers to create content for your newly release system as possible for long-term viability and, therefore, achieve a massive early adoption rate, having a weaker SKU will not achieve this since the developers will not favor working on your two systems.

Its only first party. No third party developers need to release for the old consoles.

Banned

yeah but this literally just affects first party games... no 3rd party dev needs to do this...

demigod

It's pretty sad you're using a dual account on Neogaf to console war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom