• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

Perkel

Banned
PS4 version appears blurry in other publications also, including the IGN comparison.

IGN video shoots compared:
i3uk6taw6tdxd8fonn.gif

one delicious crow for you

eatcrow.jpg

We can put this "PS4 version is blurry" into "bullshit" folder.

v1oz

I'm actually impressed by how the 360 and PS3 versions look on the Gamespot review. I thought they'd get absolutely slaughtered by next gen. But they're not too bad at all visually.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Lots of bullshit and mess to come in the next comparison war lol..
So now suddenly the PS4 is super sharp and the xbo version is blurry.. How did it turn blurry .. ??

I mean i'd be glad if the PS4 version looked clearly better in every comparison but this will quicly get boring if you can show anything and its contrary depending on who does it..

I'm all for a fair fight!

The "blurry" version almost always seems only blurry because its compared to a more sharpened version, but that doesnt matter actually as people can add sharpening all they want. However, this comparison does a good job at showing the difference in resolution that people can expect for the graphical fidelity.

IGN video shoots compared:

We can put this "PS4 version is blurry" into "bullshit" folder.

That PS4 shot is post processed by a user with added sharpening and saturation, so its not directly the IGN shots, but yeah, considering you can get a similar effect like that on your TV with the TV settings, I dont think anyone will think that the PS4 looks "blurry" once they actually play it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Both versions look amazing...

Don't get why this means so much to GAF tbh, 90% of gamers who buy an xb1 won't care when they are playing about these little differences, yet we have a 400k views thread about it. SMH

I finished re4 on PS3 the other day, and had just as much fun as the wii version when I played it last year. The resolution only mattered when I stopped and actually stared at the environments, but when I'm POP POP POP WATCHIN NIGGAZ DROP these ganados with the TMP i dont give a shit about resolution. I don't get you guys, bubt I'm thankful I don't have high standards bout this stuff i guess

You seem to be under the impression the consoles are already out. If you were a gamer who played games like Ghost or Battlefield constantly, which console would you choose? Remember, there are other people who haven't chosen yet too.

If you look at the dirt road ahead in this pic comparison, the XO version actually has a tremendous amount of added detail...

In the end we could argue on an on about this. What it comes down to ultimately is choice.

I personally think that the PS4 version looks best to my eyes, but the XO version looks far from crap...they both look excellent...I am actually surprised at how good XO version looks, I expected it to be night/day with PS4, but I simply cant say it is...really just different shades of gray.

Again, thats my opinion, and I am sure others will have their own opinion on the matter.

What matters is that you are happy with what you buy/use. If that is the case, dont let anyone tell you that you shouldn't be happy, and having fun playing games :)
Jesus fucking christ man. There is a giant fucking plume of dust. Is it that hard to figure out nuances in picture comparisons?

Maxrunner

It's kind of a let down that they couldn't build consoles that actually handle these games at full hd....thank god i didn't cave in for PS4 at launch. Glad to way till next year....

Ty4on

So is bf4

It never drops to 30fps in DF's comparison and is for the most part rock solid 60 fps. Average is not give, but I would think high 50s with a framecap at 60. AFAIK Killzone's target started as 30fps while BF4's has been 60fps. More importantly though, where is a framerate analysis of Killzone?

Edit: The biggest BF4 (PS4) drop was like 45 in a cutscene. Re-edit, it dipped to 40 when something big exploded.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Wait, what is going on here?

Showing how you can make the PS4 version look with TV settings if you prefer the oversaturated and sharper X1 look.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'm pre-ordering an Xbox One and probably won't be getting a PS4.

I think the PS4 probably looks a little better, and seems to preform better.

That said, I'm perfectly happy with the XBO quality on these images. Looks really good.

I'm sure the gap could widen as the gen goes on (or MS could close it a bit given that it seems their ESRAM support is having issues at the moment).

I think to your average non-GAFer they will see these systems and see rough equivelency. That's good news for MS given that there is a raw power disadvantage.

Perkel

Banned
Anyone that's used ElGato hardware/software for capture knows that you can't really fuck it up I mean it's a plug and play setup and it captures exactly what you see on screen.
These changes were clearly made afterwards in Sony Studio or a similar app. DF should get their press pass pulled for tampering with the footage. They just destroyed their credibility with the gaming community over a game that we'll all probably forget about in a year or so. smh

apperently you can:

Here is same shot from IGN video showing that it is Xbone version that is blur not PS4.

ToD_

Are there any proper (correct levels/no added sharpening) xbox one screenshots around? I know there are video captures, but the compression in those destroys detail.

This shit needs to be included in the OP, it's the most accurate comparison yet in terms of what people will see on their TVs.

I really hope this is not what people will see on TVs.

andycapps

They're a direct capture feed that's not a part of Digital Foundry. Goes to show how bad DF messed up.

Here's the raw pictures:

PS4- http://i.imgur.com/G0ygZ8Y.jpg
XB1- http://i.imgur.com/bGczeDp.jpg

Ouch, yeah I take back what I said before about the "blur filter" on the PS4 version. DF just fucked up the capture. I don't think they should have put this out knowing how compromised their footage was.

PS4 version is obviously head and shoulders over the Xbone here.

WoolyNinja

I don't like whatever AA they're using for the PS4 version. Probably not something that would keep me from getting the game, but it looks like they smeared vaseline over everything. I assume that could also be an issue from the sub-1080p signal being upscaled to 1080p, but either way, not a fan of how blurry it looks. Fix this shit, Guerrilla!

Looks the same/very similar to the PC version, no?

Ebomb

Banned
You seem to be under the impression the consoles are already out. If you were a gamer who played games like Ghost or Battlefield constantly, which console would you choose? Remember, there are other people who haven't chosen yet too.

Still comes down to how you value kinect IMO. The kinect and price seem like far bigger differentiators than resolution and graphic fidelity, at least IMO. I was prepared for dissapointment as a 1200p PC gamer but, at least for BF4, the drop in resolution didn't bother me. Still cautious about MP though and will look forward to more details as Xbox one launch approaches.

Portugeezer

Anyone disappointed forgot about early graphics of last gen.

All these were 30fps on top of that. And I will do a favour and not even include PDZ. 2006, 2007, 2008.

screen4_large.jpg

halo-3-20070923023433241.jpg

881988-935086_20080627_001.jpg

Even though any of the multiplatform games will probably also be on PC and I have that option, this is very discouraging.

If of course the 'unoptimised tools' and learning curve etc means greater parity in the future as with the last era (after 2/3+ years though) then this would not be as much of an issue, but this seems unlikely.

The only reason I'd keep the bone preorder now if for additional media purposes like local video streaming or future HEVC/4k video decoding, which also is totally unknown and probably unlikely considering poor 360 codec support.

Exclusives? Hmm not sure there are any/many titles that I must have to make it worthwhile. If a game like MGSV was just on both consoles and the PS4 one was a lot better, that would be annoying.

apperently you can:

Here is same shot from IGN video showing that it is Xbone version that is blur not PS4.

First off, IGN is hte one using ElGato, DF used there own custom box...

Second off, stop showing the GIF with user-modified images (aka not accurate) please.

Top Bottom