• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

keuja

posted yet

i3uk6taw6tdxd8fonn.gif

Man, DF really fucked up this time didn't they...
This gif showcases exactly what I'd expect of a 720p vs 900p difference.

It's kind of a let down that they couldn't build consoles that actually handle these games at full hd....thank god i didn't cave in for PS4 at launch. Glad to way till next year....

These games are being made for multiple platforms. If they had built this from the ground up for the next gen systems I'm willing to be both would have better resolutions but for cross gen launch games I think it looks impressive. BF4 seems to be the only PS4 game that isn't 1080p (I could be wrong) and it's still running at 900p. Maybe if DICE had more time to optimize the game they could have reached 1080p.

I'll take 900p @ 60fps to have the full Battlefield 64 player experience on PS4 versus 24 players on last gen.

Looks way better without sharpen.Why would someone rape the pic with sharpen filter.

To try and get the point across that if you sharpen the image to the level that the X1 is at the PS4 version looks better. There have been too many bad comparisons and the compressed videos on Youtube are barely worth watching.

Perkel

Banned
First off, IGN is hte one using ElGato, DF used there own custom box...

Second off, stop showing the GIF with user-modified images (aka not accurate) please.

I did mistake with ElGato because i thought it was what was DF using. My point still stands. There is no blurr going on in PS4 version.

ib0gOrDzD8ScKG.gif

HWb79lR.gif

if you look at relief and textures quality they are the same.

Xbox One - Built for Screenshots

Seeing BF4 in motion on the X1 on a big screen TV, which most people have nowadays, is ... not good.

I just watched the youtube videos on my living room TV. Results were a " tad " different then watching on my computer monitor.

This is all confusing as hell.

So many different sources with different videos... for me it's really hard to get a fair comparison. Especially with all the compression. Gamersyde, help me.

Oh, and there are so many different images an gifs in this thread, I don't even know which one was edited or not anymore.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So where's Albert Penello? Somewhere wishing there was a hidden dGPU?

Pretty sure if this is the vast casm or disparity Mr. Penello is pretty happy right now.

Considering yesterday the PS4 Multiplayer was supposed to look better than XB1's single player.

The PS4 is a bit better looking, higher resolution and more consistent frame rate.. but it's not running laps around the XB1 by any means (and the hardware upscaler seems to be *really* solid on the XB1).

Can you do this with the rest of the screens in the OP Canis? DF fucked up.
Photoshop
Levels Layer
Limit RGB Levels to 16-235.

That'll give you exact same colors.

If you want the sharpen filter, do "filter more" and that'll get you the exact same "texture" results as X1. Even though I think that looks like ass...

Maybe he's talking about the ground near the player? XB1 version looks to have some added bump mapped/tessellated dirt going on.

He said "dirt road ahead".

originally posted by canis lupus:

posted yet

i3uk6taw6tdxd8fonn.gif

And there it is: uncompressed, native captures with correct output calibration.

PS4 is clearly superior in just about every way.

I too was shocked that I preferred every XO screen to the PS4. I was prepared for the opposite.

It's because of the sharpness. But if you compare the XB1 vs PC you'll see that the XB1 is even sharper than the PC. It's like setting your TV on the Vibrant setting. Everything is blown out and sharpness is set to Max. Looks weird tbh

Hexa

iYkPD7LlrfmH5.gif

From OP but I just turned up the contrast on PS4 shot (as you can do easily on any TV) to what looked like similar to the XBOnes, but the XBOnes bloom is f'd up so it's pretty off. Should I do this with the other shots?

MCasey

Both versions look pretty good, but the PS4 version looks better.
Doesn't crush blacks like the XB1 version. Less jaggies. Just seems overall more realistic.
I equate it to TV shopping when you walk into the store and people immediately gravitate to the brightest/sharpest LED TV and people think it looks great.
But I'm sure whatever version people get, they will have a great time with the multiplayer.

iYkPD7LlrfmH5.gif

From OP but I just turned up the contrast on PS4 shot (as you can do easily on any TV) to what looked like similar to the XBOnes, but the XBOnes bloom is f'd up so it's pretty off. Should I do this with the other shots?

Why not use good captures from IGN (I know it's ironic that IGN has the better captures here)?

Ashes

Banned
iYkPD7LlrfmH5.gif

There are more light sources on the xb1 pic. Behind the trees on the right there.

Both versions look pretty good, but the PS4 version looks better.
Doesn't crush blacks like the XB1 version. Less jaggies. Just seems overall more realistic.
I equate it to TV shopping when you walk into the store and people immediately gravitate to the brightest/sharpest LED TV and people think it looks great.
But I'm sure whatever version people get, they will have a great time with the multiplayer.

Exactly. That's what it is.

Just as I expected, Digital Foundry has become a joke.

I can't believe they let Leadbetter fanboyism comprosime their integrity. Time to clean shop and get a new crew.

holy shit. looking at these photos on an actually computer monitor at desktop resolution the difference is striking. Last night I was looking at them on my iphone and that really helped the XO version.

its pretty clear the PS4 version wins. on top of that it does it at a higher resolution and with more stable frame rate.

I am still a little disappointed the PS4 didn't bring it home @ 1080p I feel like moving forward that should be the standard everyone shoots for.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
fwiw, as someone who on his TV has his backlight turned all the way down, sharpness off, contrast at around 45% and brightness at around 50% (all calibrated in with test patterns)

The PS4 shots look more natural.
xbone shots look "bolder", but way less natural and with horrible black detail as a result.

if the latter is how you like your TV setup, enjoy the xbone version. If you like the more natural look or want the ability to choose which look you want, and get better performance, higher resolution and less aliasing to boot, enjoy the PS4 version.

holy shit. looking at these photos on an actually computer monitor at desktop resolution the difference is striking. Last night I was looking at them on my iphone and that really helped the XO version.

its pretty clear the PS4 version wins. on top of that it does it at a higher resolution and with more stable frame rate.

I am still a little disappointed the PS4 didn't bring it home @ 1080p I feel like moving forward that should be the standard everyone shoots for.

Why, getting 900p shows how strong the card is for PS4.

TheZink

MS3GDy6.jpg
Have you guys seen this. Someone posted this on reddit. The difference between Digital foundry and JackFrags and how digital foundry. Take it for what it's worth.
Edit: my bad. Didn't notice the updated OP.

deadpixel

Banned
There's an option to disable anti aliasing on the PS3 version of BF3.
Anti-Aliasing.jpg

If it's the same on BF4 for PS4 it will solve the blurry, vasaline textures some of you have been complaining about.

DOPing

Obviosly PS4 version is technically better, but - Jesus H. Christ! - this "can be easily emulated on your TV" bullshit needs to stop. TV sharpening filter is not as smart as the one in Photoshop or even Irfan View or whatever people use to make those "enhanced" PS4 screenshots. I don't know what Xbone uses, but it's disingenuous to say "you can easily change the settings on your TV".

/PC-gamer rant.

Why, getting 900p shows how strong the card is for PS4.

I agree and i think games will start to hit 1080p once people really get working with it. Its just crazy that these systems are 7-8 years removed from last gen and we are still struggling to get to 1080p (granted there is a lot more going on then just resolution )

Top Bottom